SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CAR/STL) - Faulk & 2020 5th for Edmundson, Bokk & 2021 7th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 24, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
I love this for Carolina will probably be yelled out for my opinion.
hanson493 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Random2152
Umm what? Trading a 1st round player who I'm told is still a good prospect for an overrated Faulk AND giving him a large extension?!?
Are they not keeping Pietro?

Seems like it, ROR for captain
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: worcat
Just throwing out the hypothetical scenario. Toronto has been careless with contracts lately so it's not out of their wheelhouse to do something like that. This also doesn't factor in the possibility of the cap going up (even so, it won't be significant but still). Anything is possible.

As it stands, the Blues pairings on defense are pretty stacked. I like this trade for both teams, Faulk wanted out of Carolina and they got a nice prospect in return. The Blues already have Kostin and Kyrou coming up very soon to add to their already young lower line core of Blais, Barbashev, Thomas, Sanford etc.

I factored in cap going up 2.5m which was more than this year. it just means petro is likely gone which isnt good news for blues fans because faulk cannot replace that production.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
I factored in cap going up 2.5m which was more than this year. it just means petro is likely gone which isnt good news for blues fans because faulk cannot replace that production.

Replace his production? are you looking at a career total or the 2018-19 season? Because they had almost identical 2018-19 seasons...

Faulk:
11 goals, 24 assists, 35 points, +9, 47 PIM, 217 Sh, 3 GWG
Petro:
13 goals, 28 assists, 41 points, +2, 22 PIM, 168 Sh, 2 GWG

If it's career stats, Petro has more career points by 140. +/- is a garbage stat that is catered based on what team/system you play for.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:09 p.m.
torontos finest
Just throwing out the hypothetical scenario. Toronto has been careless with contracts lately so it's not out of their wheelhouse to do something like that. This also doesn't factor in the possibility of the cap going up (even so, it won't be significant but still). Anything is possible.

i don't think offering pietrangelo a massive contract in his late 20s is the same as overpaying guys entering their peak years. it could happen, but any significant offer would handicap the leafs further.

i could see the jets, oilers, stars or islanders make a major offer for him.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
Replace his production? are you looking at a career total or the 2018-19 season? Because they had almost identical 2018-19 seasons...

Faulk:
11 goals, 24 assists, 35 points, +9, 47 PIM, 217 Sh, 3 GWG
Petro:
13 goals, 28 assists, 41 points, +2, 22 PIM, 168 Sh, 2 GWG

If it's career stats, Petro has more career points by 140. +/- is a garbage stat that is catered based on what team/system you play for.

faulk is nowhere near as good defensively as petro is.
CD282 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Blues add to their deepest position, Canes still have too many defensemen. The only problem this fixes is Carolina’s cap situation.
CD282 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
faulk is nowhere near as good defensively as petro is.

Completely agree, they have two entirely different skill sets. I'm not concerned with Faulk making $6.5m though, I'd be more worried about offering Petro $8-10m+ for mid/late 30s production. Hasn't worked out well for Steen, and that contract is killing the Blues.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:17 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I think the trade is more of an inditement of Edmunson’s value than Bokk’s.
hanson493 and sutter11 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:19 p.m.
Completely agree, they have two entirely different skill sets. I'm not concerned with Faulk making $6.5m though, I'd be more worried about offering Petro $8-10m+ for mid/late 30s production. Hasn't worked out well for Steen, and that contract is killing the Blues.

i dont disagree. im just saying based on the premise of this signing, petro is likely gone and that faulk is capable but will not fill the hole he left. i hate overpaying term on 30+ year olds. ide rather pay more $ for less years.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:19 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Looks like a bit of an overpayment for Faulk in my opinion. Isn't Bokk still considered a top prospect? He was a 1st rounder just a year ago.

Corey Pronman considers Bokk to be the 50th best NHL-affiliated prospect, in the range of Tolvanen, Bemstrom, Texier and Comtois.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
What I don't get is this: did CAR really need another defenseman in return?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
This deal is pretty great for Carolina They move a guy they have no room for / who wanted out for a developing 1st rounder, and a middle pairing defensive defense man who they can probably flip for additional assets. These types of guys usually have amazing value near the deadline and they likely wouldn't even need to keep him for the playoffs given their glut of defensive prospects.
Slavin - Hamilton
Gardiner - Pesce
Edmunson - TVR
Fleury/Forsling/Claesson/Bean - McKeown/Priskie/Wood
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
i don't think offering pietrangelo a massive contract in his late 20s is the same as overpaying guys entering their peak years. it could happen, but any significant offer would handicap the leafs further.

i could see the jets, oilers, stars or islanders make a major offer for him.

Petro will be 30 in January. I could see the Oilers making an offer next July simply because they'll have the space, but it shouldn't be a big money / long term deal.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Only way this trade makes sense is if they are going to let Petro walk at the end of the year. Figured his next contract would be around 7.5+ and they could have Faulk cheaper as well as he's 2 years younger.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
habs_fan
Poor Faulk he’s the third rd again
Sep. 24, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
buffalofan
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Looks like a bit of an overpayment for Faulk in my opinion. Isn't Bokk still considered a top prospect? He was a 1st rounder just a year ago.

Bokk had 8 goals in 47 games in Sweden. That is a far cry from NHL ready for a top prospect. Might step up more next year but is project player now.
sutter11 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 4:54 p.m.
Excellent deal for both teams. Bokk is supposed to be a solid prospect but the Blues are already top heavy with forward prospects. Faulk is going to help this deal for several years to come. Really good trade for both teams. Edmundson wasn't going to stick around with the club from what I've heard.

Bokk has tons of skill, but gives up easily. Only reason he averaged .50 PPG in SHL. Has little drive and is very inconsistent. Blues have had a ton of though guys come through so we'll see.

I am puzzled why they didn't go after a younger guy though. That's just me
Sep. 24, 2019 at 5:16 p.m.
Feels like an equal trade for now. Canes will eventually be the winners if Bokk pans out. Faulk most likely won't last the duration of his contract in St. Louis.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 5:25 p.m.
Well, the Hurricanes improve their five on five play but their special teams take a dip in the process. On the other hand, in St-Louis, there will be an overload of defensmen who can run the power-play. If Pietrangelo walks come free agency time, this is a big loss for St-Louis.

Faulk is overrated. The Hurricanes knew that. He is not a good number one defensman on a team. That's why the Hurricanes traded for Dougie Hamilton. He is way overpaid in St-Louis, especially for his later years. If Faulk is 6,5 million, Pietrangelo is 9 million. Robert Bortuzzo is a good third pairing defensman.

This is the kind of trade that makes you wonder, Did any team significantly improve ? I don't think so. Edmundson brings great physicality and 5 on 5 defensive play to the Canes but not much else. Bokk is not a top tier prospect. On the other hand, the Canes don't have any big players to sign for next year so maybe they will attract free agents on the way.

It's an odd trade, that's for sure.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 5:38 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Yeah another D man for Carolina, they were starting to look short handed all of sudden on that D. tears of joy smirk
Sep. 24, 2019 at 5:55 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
To be fair his uncle who played went by Peter Angelo so it is not the most surprising mispronounced thing ever

To be fair his uncle who played went by Peter Angelo so it is not the most surprising mispronounced thing ever

I've never heard Alex Peter Angelo, though, other than from Don Cherry.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 6:51 p.m.
Just so y’all know Parayko>Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo is so bad on defense and is really only above average in offense.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 8:07 p.m.
Banned

As it stands, the Blues pairings on defense are pretty stacked. I like this trade for both teams, Faulk wanted out of Carolina and they got a nice prospect in return. The Blues already have Kostin and Kyrou coming up very soon to add to their already young lower line core of Blais, Barbashev, Thomas, Sanford etc.

Kostin hasn't done anything yet.
Kyrou flamed out last season. I don't know why you expect anymore than that from him any time soon.

As for this trade, STL no resigning someone. Writing on the wall.
This also looks like a deal where you know you have to pull the trigger. WPG was probably right there asking. But with him off the market WPG looks to be hurting worse.
Sep. 24, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Wow finally! But why St. Louis? They already have two top four RHD. He'll just be stuck as the third guy again, like he was in Carolina, or like Shattenkirk was in -ironically- St. Louis, or like Myers in Winnipeg. Building a team like that doesn't work, we've seen it before. Looks like a late knee jerk reaction to the rest of the Central getting better.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit