SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Matthews Incident. An Issue or Overreaction

Overreaction or Issue
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 25, 2019 at 6:28 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Comments Below. Honest opinion... overreaction and quiet frankly was unnecessary to bring to police and public knowledge
Sep. 25, 2019 at 7:02 p.m.
It is an overreaction, however he should be fined just like any average Joe should when they are drunk and disorderly. He acted like a dumb drunk, and he should be treated like anyone else who acts like a dumb drunk in a relatively public manner.
niong108 liked this.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 7:06 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Sep. 26, 2019 at 7:29 a.m.
I'm a believer if a person is charged it should be "public knowledge". Reason, who picks and chooses what is public knowledge. Do the wealthy and powerful get to buy silence, and then what, no charges are laid those people.
The police to have to investigate to see if charges are warranted. But if no charges laid, I wish it wasn't public knowledge.

Maybe Matthews will be given a "restraint" order so he can never set foot in Arizona again. That kinda kills the rumours of him signing in Arizona as a UFA.
Brian2016 and Couturier liked this.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 7:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Stupid what he did but he only did it once. If he does this or anything similar again it's something to look into more, but it was once. I say overreaction.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 8:34 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: palhal

Maybe Matthews will be given a "constraint" order so he can never set foot in Arizona again.

seems a little much for a misdemeanor
Sep. 25, 2019 at 8:57 p.m.
Edited Sep. 25, 2019 at 9:03 p.m.
What "reaction" are you referring to: the police department? Media? Fans?
If I'm to gauge whether something is an overreaction I have to know what the reaction is.

In my opinion, he got off light with the authorities. He essentially tried to break into a vehicle, regardless of his state of mind or intentions. We all know a lot of people get in a lot of trouble for a lot less.
Do I think he (or anyone else in that situation) should have been arrested? No. And he wasn't. So everything seems appropriately proportional in a vacuum, even if he may have gotten special treatment.

I haven't had a chance to witness a lot of the coverage to comment on it, but if you want to present an article or let me know about actions by the league I'll be happy to weigh in.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 10:57 p.m.
boys being boys
Sep. 26, 2019 at 7:42 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Brian2016
boys being boys

Let's just say, the woman's account is accurate. How would any of us feel if our wife or daughter was confronted by three strong drunken men at 2 in the morning. We might not feel it was "boys being boys"
I think back to the Zimmeman/Trayven Martin killing in the townhouse Florida complex. Zimmerman stalked Martin, shot and killed him. HIs successful defence was he was in felt he life was in danger and therefore the shooting was justified. Wow, imagine if this woman had thought same thing, and had a gun on her at the time.
niong108 and capsin9 liked this.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 8:32 a.m.
Let's just say, the woman's account is accurate. How would any of us feel if our wife or daughter was confronted by three strong drunken men at 2 in the morning. We might not feel it was "boys being boys"
I think back to the Zimmeman/Trayven Martin killing in the townhouse Florida complex. Zimmerman stalked Martin, shot and killed him. HIs successful defence was he was in felt he life was in danger and therefore the shooting was justified. Wow, imagine if this woman had thought same thing, and had a gun on her at the time.

I was being sarcastic. And that's a lot of "if's". Imagine if everyone killed everyone who looked at them the wrong way. Normal people don't pull guns for no reason. Incidents like Matthews happens 100 times a day and people don't end up dead. But, if the facts turn out the way the woman recounted, then Matthews used very poor judgement. No need to overreact at this point. Remember the Patrick Kane incident? People love shaking down famous athletes. Let's wait for the facts.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
Its an overreaction to being absolutely plastered. Every single person does stupid stuff when they get hammered. Its unfortunate what happened but drunk and disorderly is all that should happen. Should be a fine from the league and or team and thats it.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:28 a.m.
I was being sarcastic. And that's a lot of "if's". Imagine if everyone killed everyone who looked at them the wrong way. Normal people don't pull guns for no reason. Incidents like Matthews happens 100 times a day and people don't end up dead. But, if the facts turn out the way the woman recounted, then Matthews used very poor judgement. No need to overreact at this point. Remember the Patrick Kane incident? People love shaking down famous athletes. Let's wait for the facts.

1. When you're trying to get into a stranger's car, you don't know if that person is "normal".
2. We have the facts. No one is disputing the woman's account. So yes, he used very poor judgement.
3. Who's overreacting?
4. Are you talking about the time Patrick Kane beat up and robbed that cab driver? What about it?
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: hanson493
Its an overreaction to being absolutely plastered. Every single person does stupid stuff when they get hammered. Its unfortunate what happened but drunk and disorderly is all that should happen. Should be a fine from the league and or team and thats it.

So drunk and disorderly and a fine from the league is appropriate, according to you.
He's been charged with drunk and disorderly and the league has yet to take action.
So what's the overreaction you refer to in your first sentence?
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
So drunk and disorderly and a fine from the league is appropriate, according to you.
He's been charged with drunk and disorderly and the league has yet to take action.
So what's the overreaction you refer to in your first sentence?

Fan outcry. media over blowing the story. the security guard that opened the door, their reaction to it all.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 10:03 a.m.
Edited Sep. 26, 2019 at 10:21 a.m.
Quoting: hanson493
Fan outcry. media over blowing the story. the security guard that opened the door, their reaction to it all.

Can you be more specific?
Will you provide examples?
Sep. 26, 2019 at 10:18 a.m.
torontos finest
lol apparently he didn't tell dubas or anyone in the organization. they all found out when we did.

1000% not getting the c
Sep. 26, 2019 at 10:19 a.m.
torontos finest
boys being boys

SecretFearfulDrongo-size_restricted.gif
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
By no means were his actions just. It's very easy to see how the female felt scared and violated, which is never okay. If he can't control himself when he drinks, he shouldn't be drinking at all. A player of his stature in particular is representing the biggest hockey market in the world, as well as the face of American hockey players. He's supposed to be the captain of this team, but it makes it very difficult to anoint him as captain after this incident. It's also mind boggling to me that nobody thought it would be a good idea to let the team know of this incident before the media found out. Utterly ridiculous.

That being said, there are a lot worse ways that could've ended up. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't going to be a huge deal, even though his actions were very inappropriate. The media in Toronto is going to over analyze everything that their stars do. I don't think there's a single player in the NHL that would get this much attention for it, simply due to the market Matthews is in. Not Crosby, not McDavid, not Kucherov, not Mackinnon, not anyone. The Toronto media always has and always will talk about their players at noisome, no matter what it is.

I do think he should still be named captain. It's his team, even with this one drunk incident. There'll be a lot of people who won't take that news very well, so it wouldn't surprise me if they go with Tavares instead.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Unless he doesn't again, it shouldn't be too big a deal IMO.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 6:46 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
All boys do stupid things. He’s just getting criticized for it cuz he’s famous. Overreaction
Sep. 27, 2019 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
All boys do stupid things. He’s just getting criticized for it cuz he’s famous. Overreaction

I'm not famous. But I feel fairly certain that my family, friends, neighbors, employer, coworkers, teammates, congregation, etc. would be pretty critical of my actions had I done the same thing.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 6:52 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
I'm not famous. But I feel fairly certain that my family, friends, neighbors, employer, coworkers, teammates, congregation, etc. would be pretty critical of my actions had I done the same thing.

Obviously, but the only way people found out was the headlines. The leafs found out through Twitter. If anyone did it it would’ve been as bad as him doing it, it’s just more widely known and more criticized because he’s Auston Matthews.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Obviously, but the only way people found out was the headlines. The leafs found out through Twitter. If anyone did it it would’ve been as bad as him doing it, it’s just more widely known and more criticized because he’s Auston Matthews.

Well...yeah. That's how fame works. The more people who are aware of your existence the more opportunity you're going to have to be criticized. People having a reaction is not an inherent overreaction just because there's a bigger pool of people who could react.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 12:36 p.m.

First, this has nothing to do with Martin and Zimmerman, and what you are describing is what the media reported, which is quite different from the court testimony. Just like the old woman suing McDonalds over hot coffee, what was in the sensationalized media and what really happened are two different things.

Anyway, this is a young woman who was doing her job and was harassed by a bunch of drunk guys. She was inclined to let it all drop with a simple apology. But Matthew’s dad told her she made the whole story up and that his son would never do that. So she got mad for being called a liar, and got video from the complex that proved her story. As they say, the coverup is worse than the crime.
PrisonBull liked this.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 7:53 p.m.
Quoting: Stosh
First, this has nothing to do with Martin and Zimmerman, and what you are describing is what the media reported, which is quite different from the court testimony. Just like the old woman suing McDonalds over hot coffee, what was in the sensationalized media and what really happened are two different things.

For those that don't know the story: The owner of an area chain of McDonald's served their coffee boiling hot 'so the coffee would be still hot when people arrived at work'. The woman (in her 80's) dropped the coffee in her lap and suffered 3rd burns to her genitalia.
Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Oct. 12, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Definitely an issue. And anyone that says that it should be treated differently because he’s drunk is ridiculous. It was his actions that caused him to get drunk, therefore everything he does is his fault. He shouldn’t be getting drunk in the first place, so any actions he does while under the influence should be treated as if he were sober. It’s completely idiotic that he would allow himself to get drunk and do the things he did. And even more telling about how bad of a person he is, is that the management of his appartement said they’ve had issues with him before. Matthews is just a piece of sh*t human being.

Also the fact that he didn’t feel it fit to tell anyone in the organization that pays his $11.6 million salary is another sign.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit