$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 25, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
Isles7
It would probably cost a 1st and a prospect to move him
Sep. 25, 2019 at 10:08 p.m.
Banned
There are 3 different sources saying this is going to happen either by the start of the season or in the beginning of the season.

We an all finally see what the cost to move JJ is.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 10:10 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
There are 3 different sources saying this is going to happen either by the start of the season or in the beginning of the season.

We an all finally see what the cost to move JJ is.

I’m super curious to see what it’s gonna take because it’s been such a controversial topic on here the past couple months.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 10:15 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: dgfresh78
I’m super curious to see what it’s gonna take because it’s been such a controversial topic on here the past couple months.

it was always a matter of a waiting game.
There is never enough defense in the league. When Hutton went, the next was Faulk.
Now there is no one else on the market. If you need defense you got to trade and most people aren't giving it up without an arm and a leg.
Beggers can't be choosers in this world. Too many teams still need defense.
JJ is still better than what is on most AHL teams. Although most people don't want to hear that.
Given the game tonight. Riikola has looked ok all preseason. JOP is in the wings.
They will do this.
I'm not expecting a return. But I also don't think they are going to really pay all too much to dump him.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 11:00 p.m.
Bury Johnson in the AHL and replace him with an ELC. Cap compliance achieved.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 11:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Isles777
It would probably cost a 1st and a prospect to move him

But Rust is worth a pick, right? It's after FA so it shouldn't cost that much ... the problem is, he's signed for 4 years or something like that i'm pretty sure. Same with Rust, though. People need to stop acting like if a player is playing up to his contract, he has full value and you act like his cap hit doesn't exist.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 11:40 p.m.
Tanev on the first line goes undetected ... lmao
Shibbal18 and dgfresh78 liked this.
Sep. 25, 2019 at 11:45 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
But Rust is worth a pick, right? It's after FA so it shouldn't cost that much ... the problem is, he's signed for 4 years or something like that i'm pretty sure. Same with Rust, though. People need to stop acting like if a player is playing up to his contract, he has full value and you act like his cap hit doesn't exist.

Rust is probably worth a 5th rd pick
Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:07 a.m.
Quoting: Isles777
Rust is probably worth a 5th rd pick

Wutt? More like a 2nd...3rd at absolute worst
Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
There is never enough defense in the league. When Hutton went, the next was Faulk.
Now there is no one else on the market. If you need defense you got to trade and most people aren't giving it up without an arm and a leg.
JJ is still better than what is on most AHL teams. Although most people don't want to hear that.
Given the game tonight. Riikola has looked ok all preseason. JOP is in the wings.
They will do this.
I'm not expecting a return. But I also don't think they are going to really pay all too much to dump him.

I wouldnt be too sure that he is better than whats on AHL teams. Hes got a negative WAR on the third line... AKA hes bad. Like blackhawks defense 2018-2019 levels bad.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:48 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: SlickWilly
I wouldnt be too sure that he is better than whats on AHL teams. Hes got a negative WAR on the third line... AKA hes bad. Like blackhawks defense 2018-2019 levels bad.

it's hard to look at his numbers last year. Not because they are so bad, but because he played the wrong side most of the year because the penguins didn't go looking for help when schultz was hurt.
It really set the team back.
Given that, the numbers are going to look bad.
Not that I ever thought he was some great defense man when he came here. But he hits people and he's serviceable. Most AHL defense men aren't close to that. The ones that are, are in the process of developing or don't have the skill set to play pro level, aka slow, under sized, no hands, whatever.
Either way, most people know when it comes to defense, there isn't much out there. At least not until trade deadline and people are willing to part with people ending their contracts.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:54 a.m.
it's hard to look at his numbers last year. Not because they are so bad, but because he played the wrong side most of the year because the penguins didn't go looking for help when schultz was hurt.
It really set the team back.
Given that, the numbers are going to look bad.
Not that I ever thought he was some great defense man when he came here. But he hits people and he's serviceable. Most AHL defense men aren't close to that. The ones that are, are in the process of developing or don't have the skill set to play pro level, aka slow, under sized, no hands, whatever.
Either way, most people know when it comes to defense, there isn't much out there. At least not until trade deadline and people are willing to part with people ending their contracts.

Oh thats interesting. I was unaware he played his off side. Thats pretty good to know when evaluating. Maybe someone looks at that and goes "if we put him on his correct side we can snub the pens and steal a draft pick for it" and then he probably doesnt play well but plays enough to rationalize putting him in the lineup every game. Theres potential to unpack there. Likely not much, but who knows. Crazier has happened
Sep. 26, 2019 at 1:38 a.m.
Shibbal18
They will do this.

No one else on the market, except Ristolainen, which is a better gamble than JJ
Sep. 26, 2019 at 2:45 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Shibbal18
No one else on the market, except Ristolainen, which is a better gamble than JJ

Is it though. 5,400,000 cap hit. and the cost to get him. Buffalo isn't going to give him away for free. I have doubts they even want to trade him. It's not like they are deep at RD.
JJ on the other hand has a lower cap hit, and you can get him for practically nothing. Given you get what you pay for.

No one is suggesting JJ will turn into some miracle player. But 3rd pairing, on his natural side, paired with a puck handler and you got at least serviceable physical presence that isn't on IR.
Not suggesting he's a shut down guy, won't give up a goal or 5. but if you can limit his ice time and put him in the right spots and work with him. You get a body to help out and take the good with the bad.
That can be said with most players in the league. Not every player is a Crosby type player that has no weakness in their game.
If you need a cheap option, costs you nothing, and is a relatively lower cap hit. He's your guy, till you send him to Seattle or buy him out in 2 years.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
Is it though. 5,400,000 cap hit. and the cost to get him. Buffalo isn't going to give him away for free. I have doubts they even want to trade him. It's not like they are deep at RD.
JJ on the other hand has a lower cap hit, and you can get him for practically nothing. Given you get what you pay for.

No one is suggesting JJ will turn into some miracle player. But 3rd pairing, on his natural side, paired with a puck handler and you got at least serviceable physical presence that isn't on IR.
Not suggesting he's a shut down guy, won't give up a goal or 5. but if you can limit his ice time and put him in the right spots and work with him. You get a body to help out and take the good with the bad.
That can be said with most players in the league. Not every player is a Crosby type player that has no weakness in their game.
If you need a cheap option, costs you nothing, and is a relatively lower cap hit. He's your guy, till you send him to Seattle or buy him out in 2 years.

I've been saying this all summer and getting crucified for it.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 8:11 a.m.
Shibbal18

Miller
Montour
Nelson
Jokiharju
Borgen
Risto
Bogosian
Gilmour
Theyre very deep at RD
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:03 a.m.
riles23
Quoting: Shibbal18
Miller
Montour
Nelson
Jokiharju
Borgen
Risto
Bogosian
Gilmour
Theyre very deep at RD

Gilmour is LD but yes they are very deep on the right side. Though Montour is hurt right now so I can't see them parting from Risto until he is back at least.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:31 a.m.
They will do this.

I feel like they might need to retain a little bit on him and potentially attach a conditional pick to him but that’s about it. You brought up a great point about how he was playing most of last season on his off side due to the penguins doing nothing after Schultz went down.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 9:34 a.m.
Quoting: mvp13
Tanev on the first line goes undetected ... lmao

They’re actually using him on the first line as crazy as that sounds...I feel like with his speed he can be a Pascal Dupuis type of player on Crosby’s wing.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Pensfan89
Wutt? More like a 2nd...3rd at absolute worst

So, is Jack Johnson worth anything? Rust is getting paid more than Johnson. I think Rust is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd right now, and Johnson wouldn't cost too much, if anything, to move, because FA is done. Johnson does have an extra year, though.
Sep. 26, 2019 at 4:29 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
So, is Jack Johnson worth anything? Rust is getting paid more than Johnson. I think Rust is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd right now, and Johnson wouldn't cost too much, if anything, to move, because FA is done. Johnson does have an extra year, though.

It honestly depends on the team with Johnson. Most likely the pens would have to take a similar but slightly cheaper contract back while maybe giving up a 7th or nothing prospect. But it’s not like most people on here saying “oh you’ve gotta give up a 1st, prospect, and take a bad contract back” sort of thing. People seem to think the pens have to trade JJ. Realistically they could just put him on waivers and see if anyone bites and let him go for nothing if a team is willing to take on the cap hit and if no one bites, just bury him in the minors til a trade can be made without giving up an arm and a leg/taking back an equally horrendous contract.

Rust gets paid more than Johnson but rust is a better player. Rust gets paid exactly where he should be. Look at similar players. They all get paid what he gets or more. So in actuality he is kind of a bargain. Rust is a 35 point player. Tuch got 4.75 per year for a 37 point year. Eakin got 3.85 for being a 35-40 point player. And so on...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll