Forums/Armchair-GM

Predicted playoff roster

Created by: Oiler3535
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 26, 2019
Published: Sep. 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Making Mirtle happy with backup goalie waiver pickup. I agree with him that Hutchinson is not an ideal 30+ game starter. Injuries to Hyman to start the year, plus running a 20-22 man roster at home some games gets around cap issues. Ideally could run low enough often enough to fit in a backup goalie trade after xmas. Maybe Lehner or Anderson.
Trades
PIT
    Waiver pickup
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$83,114,366$0$82,500-$1,614,366
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $10,893,000$10,893,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    C, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $675,000$675,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
    I think this is pretty spot on other than Spezza to 4rw and Goat to 4C. Unless Bracco absolutely lights the ahl on fire this year I see him as future trade bait. And it seems like the Goat might be a long term investment as the leafs 4c. He's been looking really good at camp.
    Rinzler liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
    Rinzler
    Quoting: blowing_the_zone
    I think this is pretty spot on other than Spezza to 4rw and Goat to 4C. Unless Bracco absolutely lights the ahl on fire this year I see him as future trade bait. And it seems like the Goat might be a long term investment as the leafs 4c. He's been looking really good at camp.

Gauts been on fire lately he looks like hes trying really hard. Him and Trev Moore are the most noticeable on the ice. They have bright futures ahead.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 11:45 a.m.
    Quoting: Rinzler
    Gauts been on fire lately he looks like hes trying really hard. Him and Trev Moore are the most noticeable on the ice. They have bright futures ahead.

Agreed. I really like the idea of Spezza the vet paired with Goat the work in progress. I haven't been a huge fan of the Goat in the past, but I need to eat some humble pie with how hes been playing so far this year. His skating is night and day from last year. Gotta love the work that Barb does for the leafs. Now, if they could only get the Goat to play angry...

Love Trevor Moore's game and attitude. I think he turns into the natural replacement for Hyman once his contract is up. But for this year, once Hyman is back, I think a 4th line of Moore/Goat/Spezza could be really, really good.
    Rinzler liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 11:45 a.m.
    it aint hard to get under cap, he has 3 scratches listed bud, also how u gonna say they getting swept lmao.

because right now you do not respect the cap so you lose.
    But honestly, don't you think it is bad to play without any scratches ? I mean as soon as an injury occurs, you play short staff ?
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:03 p.m.
    kids a stars fan. what a clown lmao.

overall I like how the roster looks, Im not too sold on hutchinson either yet, but we gotta give him a chance like sparks, hope history changes this time, also would probably move down 2 scratches to minors to become cap friendly. All in all tho pretty good.

I think Hutchinson has played enough in the NHL to show what he is. Actually had worse numbers than Sparks last year.

If you look at the explanation, I believe the cap isn't an issue. Hyman out at least a month saves them over a half a million. So realistically if run 21 or 22 guys most of the year will be under the cap easily. Plus, and I hate saying this, Matthew's will probably miss at least a month injured. Which will save the team basically 140k per game.
    blowing_the_zone liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
    it aint hard to get under cap, he has 3 scratches listed bud, also how u gonna say they getting swept lmao.

Hes just trolling. A team gets better on D and after losing in a close 7 game series to the team that lost in 7 in the Cup Finals is going to get swept? Hes a troll. Hence why I blocked and reported him lol. Only saw this comment bc you quoted them.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.

Bracco was top winger in AHL last year so I'm guessing hes up quickly if he doesn't break camp with the team.

Agreed. I really like the idea of Spezza the vet paired with Goat the work in progress. I haven't been a huge fan of the Goat in the past, but I need to eat some humble pie with how hes been playing so far this year. His skating is night and day from last year. Gotta love the work that Barb does for the leafs. Now, if they could only get the Goat to play angry...

Love Trevor Moore's game and attitude. I think he turns into the natural replacement for Hyman once his contract is up. But for this year, once Hyman is back, I think a 4th line of Moore/Goat/Spezza could be really, really good.

I agree with your second paragraph. I just think Bracco forces his way into the lineup.

For the 1st paragraph I agree 100%. Goat has been one of my nemesis players for years (Zaitzev, Hainsey and Marleau the others). But ge has looked great this preseason. If he could score I could see him forcing Spezza out. But, and I believe it's a huge huge but...a JLo sized but...it's preseason. I just can't commit to believing in him yet.
    blowing_the_zone and Rinzler liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:17 p.m.

I just saw his reply with an honest question so I'll answer it: he doesn't realise that scratches cant be called out of the press box mid game. So the only time would have to play short handed would be if injury happened during warm ups. Even then, if a home game they could often have Marlies in the building so could dress quickly. Advantage of the Marlies being in the same city.
    Rinzler liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
    Quoting: Oiler3535
    Bracco was top winger in AHL last year so I'm guessing hes up quickly if he doesn't break camp with the team.

I agree with your second paragraph. I just think Bracco forces his way into the lineup.

For the 1st paragraph I agree 100%. Goat has been one of my nemesis players for years (Zaitzev, Hainsey and Marleau the others). But ge has looked great this preseason. If he could score I could see him forcing Spezza out. But, and I believe it's a huge huge but...a JLo sized but...it's preseason. I just can't commit to believing in him yet.

Lol. That is a big but!

Oh, I think Bracco is great and an nhl talent on most teams in the league. He looks deadly on the pp.

I just think that with the depth on RW he'll have a tough time cracking the roster given his role and the game he plays. And Babs. There's always the Babs factor...

I think given the skill that the leafs already have in the lineup and Babcocks preference for guys like Moore, Mikheyev, Korshcov and even guys like Agostino and Shore, it will be really tough for Bracco to fit in. Unless Marner, Nylander, Kapanen go down for a period of time, or unless Bracco absolutely blows the ahl away, i think he's in tough to be a leaf.

That said, he could be a really valuable trade chip at the deadline. Nothing wrong with that. He has an Nhl career ahead of him somewhere.
    Oiler3535 liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
    Lol. That is a big but!

Oh, I think Bracco is great and an nhl talent on most teams in the league. He looks deadly on the pp.

I just think that with the depth on RW he'll have a tough time cracking the roster given his role and the game he plays. And Babs. There's always the Babs factor...

I think given the skill that the leafs already have in the lineup and Babcocks preference for guys like Moore, Mikheyev, Korshcov and even guys like Agostino and Shore, it will be really tough for Bracco to fit in. Unless Marner, Nylander, Kapanen go down for a period of time, or unless Bracco absolutely blows the ahl away, i think he's in tough to be a leaf.

That said, he could be a really valuable trade chip at the deadline. Nothing wrong with that. He has an Nhl career ahead of him somewhere.

I agree the Babcock factor is huge. I'm actually relying heavily on Dubas to control the lineup.

I think there's a non-zero chance that Babcock plays guys badly yet again, and Dubas changes up the roster and sets up a 20 man roster against Babcock's desires, and Babcock runs only 3 forward lines. Turns into a moneyball situation where they snap at each other and Babcock gets fired mid season.

But under the heading of more realistic, I believe anything short of a Stanley cup final appearance marks the end of the Babcock era.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
    Rinzler
    Quoting: KCarry74
    because right now you do not respect the cap so you lose.
    But honestly, don't you think it is bad to play without any scratches ? I mean as soon as an injury occurs, you play short staff ?

I just saw his reply with an honest question so I'll answer it: he doesn't realise that scratches cant be called out of the press box mid game. So the only time would have to play short handed would be if injury happened during warm ups. Even then, if a home game they could often have Marlies in the building so could dress quickly. Advantage of the Marlies being in the same city.

Good point, worse comes to worse, you can just double shift players, and split the time on ice between players cycling through.
    Oiler3535 liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
    I agree the Babcock factor is huge. I'm actually relying heavily on Dubas to control the lineup.

I think there's a non-zero chance that Babcock plays guys badly yet again, and Dubas changes up the roster and sets up a 20 man roster against Babcock's desires, and Babcock runs only 3 forward lines. Turns into a moneyball situation where they snap at each other and Babcock gets fired mid season.

But under the heading of more realistic, I believe anything short of a Stanley cup final appearance marks the end of the Babcock era.

I think that's pretty spot on. Given the leafs cap structure and the guys they have locked in for the next three years there won't be alot of time or space for oversized personalities or egos. They have a 3yr window right now that is wide, wide open. They're in it to win it right now. And anything short of that will have consequences.
    Oiler3535 liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
    I think that's pretty spot on. Given the leafs cap structure and the guys they have locked in for the next three years there won't be alot of time or space for oversized personalities or egos. They have a 3yr window right now that is wide, wide open. They're in it to win it right now. And anything short of that will have consequences.

I think the window is longer than 3 years, IF Andersen stays and stays good or can find good replacement. I hate sports with all these ifs and buts lol. I think window should be open for Tavares' entire stay. Especially if Matthews can keep his pants on long enough to sign an extension. Pretty set on top 2 lines for at least 5 years, and rising cap should allow for D upgrades in the future if Sandin/Liljegren dont pan out.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.
    I think the window is longer than 3 years, IF Andersen stays and stays good or can find good replacement. I hate sports with all these ifs and buts lol. I think window should be open for Tavares' entire stay. Especially if Matthews can keep his pants on long enough to sign an extension. Pretty set on top 2 lines for at least 5 years, and rising cap should allow for D upgrades in the future if Sandin/Liljegren dont pan out.

Yeah, I agree. I just mean that they're pretty set right now until Rielly is up. That might take some tweaking to accomodate him. Otherwise the core is locked in until then.

I dont think their window closes after that, it might just look different. But, yeah, the leafs look really good moving forward
    Oiler3535 liked this.
    Sep. 26, 2019 at 1:22 p.m.
    Good point, worse comes to worse, you can just double shift players, and split the time on ice between players cycling through.

Your cap includes your scratches btw.... So no, you can't call someone on the press box because you have to be cap compliant with him

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll