Forums/Armchair-GM

GMJR job at risk

Created by: cnb17
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 27, 2019
Published: Sep. 27, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
According to most reports, these are the players on the block going into the season with hopes of moving 1 or more to get under the cap. I think by the TDL this year if the Pens are not in a playoff spot (which I anticipate they won't be) I feel that GMJR will be in a HOT seat by the end of the season. I feel that none of this has to do with the coaching staff or the players. Bad moves have put the Pens in a situation that handcuffs them to be a contender. And as the window is closing for Malkin, Letang, and Crosby.....the door maybe slamming behind GMJR on his way out.
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$81,500,000$63,531,625$132,500$2,850,000$17,968,375
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.
KFTW
If you guys give up a 1st to acquire a great player and/or get rid of a cap problem, you will be in good shape. Chris Kreider could be a good rental option
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.
So which metropolitan teams do you think are going to finish ahead of the Pens in order for us to miss the playoffs?
aedoran liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:47 a.m.
Quoting: Jesus
So which metropolitan teams do you are going to finish ahead of the Pens in order for us to miss the playoffs?

caps isles flyers devils hurricanes all have a real chance, combine that with the strength of the Atlantic and it could be tough
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
bigZ
I dont get how so many ppl anticipate pens wont make playoffs. I mean we have one of the best offensive depth in the division, all we lack is the #5 and #6 defense. Our goaltending is strong, we have great depth on wings, we finally found a great 3C in Bjugstad. I think it will be a dog fight and a half for every team in the metro and the pens will be right in the thick of it. No team in metro is miles better than the other.
mhockey91 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:52 a.m.
Quoting: linehan10
caps isles flyers devils hurricanes all have a real chance, combine that with the strength of the Atlantic and it could be tough

IDK man I still think it's gonna be tough to knock the Penguins out. The biggest concern I had with the team is the defensive black hole of Jack Johnson and it looks like they've finally admitted he sucks by scratching him and are trying to trade him. Other than the Tanev signing I think we had a very good offseason but anything can happen
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Quoting: bigZ98
I dont get how so many ppl anticipate pens wont make playoffs. I mean we have one of the best offensive depth in the division, all we lack is the #5 and #6 defense. Our goaltending is strong, we have great depth on wings, we finally found a great 3C in Bjugstad. I think it will be a dog fight and a half for every team in the metro and the pens will be right in the thick of it. No team in metro is miles better than the other.

I mean Aston-Reese is probably going to be a healthy scratch this year because we have so much depth at forward
bigZ98 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 10:55 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
The most GMJR thing would be to trade Bjugs. He might be overpaid, but he’s exactly the kind of 3rd liner any team would want.

You could always get Rask from the Wild.
mhockey91 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: linehan10

like the comments all suggest, pens are really only missing a good bottom pairing on D. were very deep on the wings, great centre depth, and a solid top 4 of: dumo, Letang, Petterson, Schultz. Johnson and Gudbranson are hindering this team. if we can move on from them there's no reason we can't be a contender
bigZ98 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
bigZ
I mean Aston-Reese is probably going to be a healthy scratch this year because we have so much depth at forward

Exactly, when players like simon, ZAR, blueger etc. are on boderline being scratched you clearly have great depth to fill your bottom 6
mhockey91 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:05 a.m.
Exactly, when players like simon, ZAR, blueger etc. are on boderline being scratched you clearly have great depth to fill your bottom 6

if pens move Johnson and can somehow bring in a quality LHD via another move we would be in good shape
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
cnb17
So which metropolitan teams do you think are going to finish ahead of the Pens in order for us to miss the playoffs?

Caps, Devils, Islanders, Canes (maybe).....the Pens just haven't improved this off-season. In fact, the may have gotten worst since last years TDL. Not saying in impossible, just don't see the potential like I usually do. Believe me, I HOPE I'm wrong.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:09 a.m.
bigZ
Quoting: mhockey91
if pens move Johnson and can somehow bring in a quality LHD via another move we would be in good shape

Honestly Im willing to give Rikolla a shot and if he doesnt pan out that well, fall back to chad or even marino. However if by november/december niether of the 3 are working then yes, we should maybe use some offense depth to bring in a LHD
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
bigZ
Quoting: cnb17
Caps, Devils, Islanders, Canes (maybe).....the Pens just haven't improved this off-season. In fact, the may have gotten worst since last years TDL. Not saying in impossible, just don't see the potential like I usually do. Believe me, I HOPE I'm wrong.

How is adding a ton more speed getting worse? Yes the Tanev contract was bad, but having him on the team makes us better not worse.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
cnb17
like the comments all suggest, pens are really only missing a good bottom pairing on D. were very deep on the wings, great centre depth, and a solid top 4 of: dumo, Letang, Petterson, Schultz. Johnson and Gudbranson are hindering this team. if we can move on from them there's no reason we can't be a contender

This is sort of to my point.....GMJR has handcuffed himself to where he couldn't make any moves to make the team better. He even stated that he was trying all summer to make a trade and the market wasn't there. It still isn't. the Pens are stuck with JJ and Guds (and now Tanev) til their contracts are up and that really hinders the Pens to be a contender IMO.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
Chewbacca88
The way I see it as of Right now, at 10:12 Central Time on 9/27/19, the Eastern Conference Playoff standings will be: Tampa Bay, Toronto, Boston, Washington, Carolina, New York Islanders, New York Rangers/Philadelphia Flyers/Pittsburgh which means Columbus, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/NYR, Detroit, Buffalo, Florida all miss. For me, Carolina is an interesting team. It could go either way. I think they'll either be really good and get 3rd divisonal/1st Wild Card or they'll miss by a long shot.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:18 a.m.
cnb17

Our bottom six does have decent depth....the problem is our top 6 doesn't. If anyone goes down for any length of time, there goes the offense. And needing a bottom 2 pair of defenders a week before the season starts is NOT where a team should be. The Pens would be better off trying to bury JJ and Guds (if the can't trade them) and starting some youngsters like POJ and Addison. Neither of which are ready for the NHL, but if your Defense is going to be bad with JJ and Guds who can not improve......might as well be bad with young guys who can get better
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
cnb17
How is adding a ton more speed getting worse? Yes the Tanev contract was bad, but having him on the team makes us better not worse.

adding 1 guy with some speed does not make a team better. He's only gonna be on the ice for 16-17 minutes of of 60 and that's IF he stays on the 2nd line. If he drops to the 4th line......not gonna make much difference.
mhockey91 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:21 a.m.

But jack Johnson dude... Jack #*&$in Johnson man... Jack Johnson made hurricane Dorian slow down and destroy the Bahamas!!! Don't you get it??? Obviously the Pens aren't making he playoffs with Jack Johnson on the team!!!
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:24 a.m.
cnb17
Quoting: CrazyK04
The way I see it as of Right now, at 10:12 Central Time on 9/27/19, the Eastern Conference Playoff standings will be: Tampa Bay, Toronto, Boston, Washington, Carolina, New York Islanders, New York Rangers/Philadelphia Flyers/Pittsburgh which means Columbus, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/NYR, Detroit, Buffalo, Florida all miss. For me, Carolina is an interesting team. It could go either way. I think they'll either be really good and get 3rd divisonal/1st Wild Card or they'll miss by a long shot.

I think the Devils could surprise a lot pf people this year. Philly and Carolina are on the bubble and I think you're right about who misses. Pens just don't have enough to say that they are 100% in the playoffs this year. it's more like 60% maybe 70%
Hawks_Are_Dumm liked this.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.

Everyone* loved Hagelin. Rutherford should have been fired for trading him according to many. Tanev is Hagelin with slightly better hands and much more physical, for $500K less... but Rutherford should be fired for signing him according to the same many.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:29 a.m.
cnb17
Quoting: Yojimbo
Everyone* loved Hagelin. Rutherford should have been fired for trading him according to many. Tanev is Hagelin with slightly better hands and much more physical, for $500K less... but Rutherford should be fired for signing him according to the same many.

I felt like is was about $1mil to high and definitely 2-3 years to long. Like $2.5mil for 4 years make more sense for a guy who everyone sees as a bottom six player. But maybe he'll be the shocker this year and by Xmas we'll all be screaming what a genus GMJR is laugh
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.

Itll be a dog fight for everyone... including us, i could see this season going either way, easily
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
bigZ
Our bottom six does have decent depth....the problem is our top 6 doesn't. If anyone goes down for any length of time, there goes the offense. And needing a bottom 2 pair of defenders a week before the season starts is NOT where a team should be. The Pens would be better off trying to bury JJ and Guds (if the can't trade them) and starting some youngsters like POJ and Addison. Neither of which are ready for the NHL, but if your Defense is going to be bad with JJ and Guds who can not improve......might as well be bad with young guys who can get better

Sure, but I dont see anyone talking about the caps. They literally added Radko friken Gudas to their Top 4 and their depth is not all that great aside from their top 6 guys. Yet everyone has them as sure division winners. just trying to say that i think all teams are evenly matched and all except maybe columbus have equal shots at the playoffs.
Sep. 27, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Add Schultz and Galch to that list as well, if theyre out at the deadline, rentals are usually the first to go, plus i am kind of worried that if GMJR is on the hot seat he'll make more rash moves like Chiarelli in EDM as a last ditch attempt to save his job
Sep. 27, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Quoting: AFOX10900
Add Schultz and Galch to that list as well, if theyre out at the deadline, rentals are usually the first to go, plus i am kind of worried that if GMJR is on the hot seat he'll make more rash moves like Chiarelli in EDM as a last ditch attempt to save his job

All the more reason that if the Pens are around the playoff bubble by mid-year, and it is a tight race, they just may send JR packing well before the trade deadline...so he cannot fire sale or spend a bunch of assets (draft picks) and ruin the future of the team before he gets canned by year's end.
Dan10900 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll