SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

An interesting idea

Sep. 30, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
I recently saw a AGM that had a very interesting idea: there were three second lines. Have teams tried this before? Should some teams try this? To look at the AGM click here
The AGM is by @Petrock83
Petrock83 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 10:14 a.m.
Below Market Value
It's pretty subjective what a "second line" even is, so it'd be tough to determine. The first team that comes to mind is Montreal from last season. They don't reallty have one superstar (Gallagher being the closest), so they ran basically three second lines of varying talent levels.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher (high-end)
Drouin-Domi-Shaw (average)
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia (lower-end)

Plus throw Byron somewhere in there, who's basically a good middle six winger, and it'd still work.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
it just depends on ice time. are you evenly weighting ice time across those 3 "second" lines? if so whats the amount? In chicagos example you are paying kane and toews over 10m ea i would want them on the ice as much as i can get them out there. IF you arent evenly weighting the lines then you dont really have 3 second lines.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
so its basically justt spreading out the best players over 3 lines? PIT experimented with this by putting Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel on different lines at one point. I cant think of any other specific examples but with how often coaches shuffle lines now I think most teams have already experimented with something similar to this
Oct. 2, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
torontos finest
This works great on teams like Montreal as DoctorBreakfast pointed out. Would imagine that Minnesota and Arizona would benefit from trying to equalize their forwards ice time.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll