SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Did the Flyers Really Just Lose to a Swiss Team?

Oct. 1, 2019 at 3:01 a.m.
I realize that when an NHL team plays an exhibition game against a non-NHL team it's like game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals for the non-NHL team, but come on. The Flyers should win 95 out of 100 times just based on talent alone. So how on earth does this happen? It was actually 4-0 Swiss team at one point (crazy). PHI is a popular pick to make the playoffs this season too.

I realize the Flyers have a lot of fresh faces, but nobody from the Swiss team is good enough to make the Flyers team. Maybe I'm reading too much into this one, but I remember EDM and NJD needing OT to win in Europe last preseason and they both ended up underachieving big time during their respective regular seasons. Chicago just managed to hold on 3-1 in Berlin the day before, as well.

PHI needs to get it together fast b/c the Metro is highly competitive and much more balanced this season. I don't think they can overcome another slow start.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 12:13 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Lmao it’s so funny how they lost
Oct. 1, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Brian2016
I realize that when an NHL team plays an exhibition game against a non-NHL team it's like game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals for the non-NHL team, but come on. The Flyers should win 95 out of 100 times just based on talent alone. So how on earth does this happen? It was actually 4-0 Swiss team at one point (crazy). PHI is a popular pick to make the playoffs this season too.

I realize the Flyers have a lot of fresh faces, but nobody from the Swiss team is good enough to make the Flyers team. Maybe I'm reading too much into this one, but I remember EDM and NJD needing OT to win in Europe last preseason and they both ended up underachieving big time during their respective regular seasons. Chicago just managed to hold on 3-1 in Berlin the day before, as well.

PHI needs to get it together fast b/c the Metro is highly competitive and much more balanced this season. I don't think they can overcome another slow start.

The Swiss team is probably better than we think. Ottawa beat Tampa Bay once last season. It's one game for the Flyers. Was it even their full NHL roster? Even if it was, it's one game. It doesn't mean they'll have a bad year.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
torontos finest
A few things as to why they probably lost:

-Preseason really doesn't matter. You're more focused on making sure your best players are sharp, and you get the best of the depth players.
-They flew in the previous night to a country where the clock is ahead. I'm sure that most guys were jetlagged.
-Lausanne play on an Olympic sized rink.
-It was an exhibition game. I'd think it would be bad form to be invited out to this other teams home and then just crush them like 10-0.

I don't think going down 4-0 was intended though even with all the things I listed above. I think it puts more pressure on starting out the season on the right foot though.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mondo
A few things as to why they probably lost:

-Preseason really doesn't matter. You're more focused on making sure your best players are sharp, and you get the best of the depth players.
-They flew in the previous night to a country where the clock is ahead. I'm sure that most guys were jetlagged.
-Lausanne play on an Olympic sized rink.
-It was an exhibition game. I'd think it would be bad form to be invited out to this other teams home and then just crush them like 10-0.

I don't think going down 4-0 was intended though even with all the things I listed above. I think it puts more pressure on starting out the season on the right foot though.

I think they were trying, but we look at the Swiss roster and assume it's not that good, when we really just don't know enough about the players. At least for me, that is. I don't watch Swiss hockey. It's one game, too. It's not like they beat the Flyers 5 games in a row. If they played 20 games against each other the Flyers would probably win the majority.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
So, Chicago's going to be bad, right? They lost to the Flyers, and i've heard the Flyers are bad, because they lost to a Swiss team. unsure
Oct. 9, 2019 at 12:59 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
So, Chicago's going to be bad, right? They lost to the Flyers, and i've heard the Flyers are bad, because they lost to a Swiss team. unsure

should keep this going through the season
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 1:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

tears of joy
Oct. 10, 2019 at 11:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

The Devils suck. They lost to the Flyers. Yes, they lost to the same team who lost to a Swiss team. The Devils are going to be really bad this year.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
torontos finest
The Devils suck. They lost to the Flyers. Yes, they lost to the same team who lost to a Swiss team. The Devils are going to be really bad this year.

Chicago currently holds that mantle. If they beat the Sharks it passes to them, and so on.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Chicago currently holds that mantle. If they beat the Sharks it passes to them, and so on.

But NJD also lost to the Flyers.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.

I wouldn't have been so hard on the Flyers if they weren't such a good team. They were lights out defensively and in goal last night. That's why it was so unbelievable that they lost to what's basically worse than a bad AHL team.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 6:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I wouldn't have been so hard on the Flyers if they weren't such a good team. They were lights out defensively and in goal last night. That's why it was so unbelievable that they lost to what's basically worse than a bad AHL team.

Well, the Swiss team is probably better than we think. Do you watch Swiss hockey? I don't, so i don't really know who the players are, but they are probably better than we think of them as being.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 2:33 a.m.
Well, the Swiss team is probably better than we think. Do you watch Swiss hockey? I don't, so i don't really know who the players are, but they are probably better than we think of them as being.

I know that on an individual basis they don't have any NHL caliber players. If they did, they'd be playing in the NHL. But, I will say this: They tend to play excellent team hockey. They work together as a 5-man unit quite well. But, the talent gap is ridiculous and there's still no excuse for a good NHL team to lose to them.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I know that on an individual basis they don't have any NHL caliber players. If they did, they'd be playing in the NHL. But, I will say this: They tend to play excellent team hockey. They work together as a 5-man unit quite well. But, the talent gap is ridiculous and there's still no excuse for a good NHL team to lose to them.

Well, the Flyers are off to a good start so far.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
Well, the Flyers are off to a good start so far.

They're a highly talented, well-coached team. They should be a playoff team. The game against the Devils the other night was one of the best defensive games I've seen them play in a long time. Maybe losing that exhibition game was a nice wake-up call for them.
Oct. 14, 2019 at 11:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The Oilers suck because they lost to Chicago, and Chicago lost to the Flyers who lost to a Swiss team.

And anyone who lost to the Oilers sucks because they lost to the Oilers who lost to the Blackhawks who lost to the Flyers, and the Flyers lost to a Swiss team.

And on and on ...
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2019 at 2:22 a.m.
The Oilers suck because they lost to Chicago, and Chicago lost to the Flyers who lost to a Swiss team.

And anyone who lost to the Oilers sucks because they lost to the Oilers who lost to the Blackhawks who lost to the Flyers, and the Flyers lost to a Swiss team.

And on and on ...

Nice logic.
Oct. 15, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.

And on and on ...

bruins havent lost to a team that has lost to the flyers or oilers or blackhawks or swiss team yet so i guess them and the avs dont suck?
Oct. 15, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
torontos finest
If the Oilers beat the Flyers tomorrow it comes full circle lol
Oct. 17, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
bruins havent lost to a team that has lost to the flyers or oilers or blackhawks or swiss team yet so i guess them and the avs dont suck?

Colorado lost to the Penguins who lost to the Jets who lost to the Rangers who lost to the Oilers who lost to the Blackhawks who lost to the Flyers who lost to a Swiss team.

Boston also lost to Colorado.

So, every NHL team sucks.
Oct. 17, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
Colorado lost to the Penguins who lost to the Jets who lost to the Rangers who lost to the Oilers who lost to the Blackhawks who lost to the Flyers who lost to a Swiss team.

Boston also lost to Colorado.

So, every NHL team sucks.

welp there goes the season. onto 2020

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll