Who is the worst GM.
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 1, 2019 at 5:58 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
I don't even know.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 6:21 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Now that Peter Chiarelli is gone, this is actually a pretty tough question. Holland just took over in Edmonton so it's tough to give it to him, given he's been decent with them to this point. Benning will probably be a popular choice, but I love the young talent he's accumulated, even with the bad contracts and a few questionable trades. So I won't say he's the worst. I can't totally blame Dorion for what's happening in Ottawa, since Melnyk's cheapness is forcing his hand a lot.

I'll go with Stan Bowman in Chicago. I saw this offseason as a chance to really give the Hawks the foreground for long term success, and instead he made a lot of questionable moves. He had the chance to have a future defense of Byram, Jokiharju, Boqvist, Beaudin, Gustafsson and Mitchell/Krys, but opted to go with Dach and Nylander instead. The trade for Olli Maatta is meh, although I am a fan of Calvin de Haan.

He's worked so hard to free up cap space so this team could add depth. And with it, he's added no substantial pieces to this team. Even though it makes sense why he opted to sign Lehner this year, I still feel that there were other areas that these team needed help besides having a total of $11M invested in two questionable goalies. The year before, he freed up money to sign Kunitz, Manning and Ward. Wastes of money.

Time will tell if he made the right call with a lot of these moves, but I don't like them right now. The offseason hasn't been terrible for Chicago, but I saw an opportunity for them to be clear winners, and they flopped. This is on top of all the prior moves he's made that have turned out poorly for the Hawks. To me, he's the worst GM in hockey right now.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 7:51 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
The really bad ones like the aforementioned Chiarelli, Paul Fenton and, further back, Dean Lombardi are gone, and many of the current GM's have not been in their positions long enough to pass judgment on. I think Brian MacLellan in Washington is the next guy on the hot seat; if the Capitals continue their decline this year, he may be out. Benning in Vancouver has acquired some nice young players (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes the elder, Demko), but the Roussell and Beagle acquisitions confuse me. If Miller doesn't have a good year and Vancouver does no better than they did last year, he could be gone next June, too.

I'm not too impressed with my own Rob Blake. True, he gets some slack for being a rookie, but when he went out on a limb to sign Ilya Kovalchuk and then watched his handpicked interim coach Willy DesJardins freeze him, he should have said "Willy, I didn't sign this guy to get splinters in his ass. Put him on the ice for 18 minutes a game or I get to be the first GM in history to fire two coaches in one season." And since I chose all three of his top draft picks this year in real time before he did, he doesn't get a lot of credit for being no better than me at picking talent.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 11:04 p.m.
torontos finest
Not necessary the "worst", but I don't think Jim Benning has done a stellar jobs, considering how his team is up against the cap on nowhere near playoff contention.

I'm also not a fan of how Marc Bergevin has managed his team.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 1:32 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Most of the bad ones have been fired, but how Benning continues and got an an extension I don't know. Constantly overpays medicore players.
Dale Tallon better start producing in Florida. Investing a lot Bobo and no have dead money with Luongo, lots of money in the net.
Gonna be interesting how Tampa gets out of its "NTC" cap hell next year. They might have trade some of their excellent younger players with cap if Palet, Johnson, Gourde, Killorn can't be moved.
Yzerman for all his god like status...won 9 playoff rounds in 8 years.(think I got it right). Pretty average to good at best, for actual on ice performance.
Ron Francis left Canes in great shape for future before he was fired. Somehow Waddell got Aho and Teravainen signed to team friendly contracts.
SpaghettiPasta and OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 8:58 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Most of the bad ones have been fired, but how Benning continues and got an an extension I don't know. Constantly overpays medicore players.
Dale Tallon better start producing in Florida. Investing a lot Bobo and no have dead money with Luongo, lots of money in the net.
Gonna be interesting how Tampa gets out of its "NTC" cap hell next year. They might have trade some of their excellent younger players with cap if Palet, Johnson, Gourde, Killorn can't be moved.
Yzerman for all his god like status...won 9 playoff rounds in 8 years.(think I got it right). Pretty average to good at best, for actual on ice performance.
Ron Francis left Canes in great shape for future before he was fired. Somehow Waddell got Aho and Teravainen signed to team friendly contracts.

There is only so much Yzerman can do. Its on the players to produce in the playoffs. The team he assembled is for sure good enough to make it to the SCF. Players have massively under achieved.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Rutherford is bad, they won despite him and not because of him in Pittsburgh.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 1:44 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Trickster
Rutherford is bad, they won despite him and not because of him in Pittsburgh.

This is not true. Rutherford brought in Kessel, Hagelin, Schultz & Bonino, and kept the team competitive and adequate through most of his tenure. It wasn't until after their cup wins that he started making his boneheaded moves. He's not the best GM in the league and I'd imagine his standing is falling, but I don't believe he's the worst in the league.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 7:14 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: mondo
This is not true. Rutherford brought in Kessel, Hagelin, Schultz & Bonino, and kept the team competitive and adequate through most of his tenure. It wasn't until after their cup wins that he started making his boneheaded moves. He's not the best GM in the league and I'd imagine his standing is falling, but I don't believe he's the worst in the league.

He also signed JJ, Hornqvist, Tanev.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Trickster
He also signed JJ, Hornqvist, Tanev.

Those three were all after their cup wins.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
Not necessary the "worst", but I don't think Jim Benning has done a stellar jobs, considering how his team is up against the cap on nowhere near playoff contention.

I agree. I think Bergevin will have hell to pay from Habs fans if Drouin ends up traded or worse, has a bad season. MTL way overachieved last season and I think they're in for a long season this year.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 8:02 p.m.
Chayka in ARI will have a lot of heat on him if his young, highly paid players don't love up to their new contracts. They're a cap team despite their lack of success and experience.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Recently it’s been JR, but idk how Jim Bennington still has a job on the Canucks, and somehow got an extension
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
I think it's JR. He overpaid Tanev for a long time, gave an awful contract to an AHL defenseman at best in Jack Johnson, and gave away an alright third liner in Tanner Pearson for a slow third pairing defenseman, and could've gotten Sprong back from the Ducks for free and essentially could've gotten Marcus Pettersson for nothing, and he sent Casey DeSmith to the minors when at times last season he was contending for Murray's starting job, and lost the Kessel trade when he could've gotten more value.
Kotkaniemi15 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Now that Chiarelli, McPhee, & Fenton are gone, it has to be (Hockey Hall of Famer) Jim Rutherford. He’s made a lot of bad decisions recently (Tanev, Gudbranson, Johnson, Kessel, etc.), and is pushing an aging Penguins roster in the wrong direction. Honourable mentions go to Stan Bouwman and Jim Benning. (Also I blame Melnyk for handcuffing Dorion, which is why he isn’t mentioned.)
Oct. 7, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Brian2016
I agree. I think Bergevin will have hell to pay from Habs fans if Drouin ends up traded or worse, has a bad season. MTL way overachieved last season and I think they're in for a long season this year.

?
Oct. 7, 2019 at 6:04 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: EthanK24
?

Good GMs take a playoff team and tumble them into a rebuild. This is known.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 6:54 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Good GMs take a playoff team and tumble them into a rebuild. This is known.

Can you explain how the 3rd worst team in the league is a playoff team? Also, since Bergevin became the GM of the habs, they haven’t been in a rebuild, only building a team out of the ruins that were there before him.
SpaghettiPasta and HabsForEver liked this.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 7:56 p.m.

That's fair, but atleast give reasons on why you don't like Bergevin, He's built one of the speedier teams with enough depth to beat anybody in the league. We also one of the better prospect cores in the league. He's made some mistakes, but who hasn't
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.

No Weber until December, Price wasn't himself until February, if you think this team overachieved, you need to watch some games.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 9:35 p.m.
torontos finest
Edited Oct. 7, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
Quoting: EthanK24
Can you explain how the 3rd worst team in the league is a playoff team? Also, since Bergevin became the GM of the habs, they haven’t been in a rebuild, only building a team out of the ruins that were there before him.

Because they made the playoffs for severals season prior and several seasons after.

I didn't say Bergevin was the worst GM in the league. I said I've found his tenure lackluster. It's great that Habs fans have renewed confidence in him though.
Oct. 7, 2019 at 10:15 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
No Weber until December, Price wasn't himself until February, if you think this team overachieved, you need to watch some games.

Not many people expected them to be a 95 point team last season. I don't see them reaching that number again this season, but you never know. They'd have to stay close to 100% healthy. Other teams in the East are much improved.
Oct. 8, 2019 at 12:31 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: krakowitz
Now that Peter Chiarelli is gone, this is actually a pretty tough question. Holland just took over in Edmonton so it's tough to give it to him, given he's been decent with them to this point. Benning will probably be a popular choice, but I love the young talent he's accumulated, even with the bad contracts and a few questionable trades. So I won't say he's the worst. I can't totally blame Dorion for what's happening in Ottawa, since Melnyk's cheapness is forcing his hand a lot.

I'll go with Stan Bowman in Chicago. I saw this offseason as a chance to really give the Hawks the foreground for long term success, and instead he made a lot of questionable moves. He had the chance to have a future defense of Byram, Jokiharju, Boqvist, Beaudin, Gustafsson and Mitchell/Krys, but opted to go with Dach and Nylander instead. The trade for Olli Maatta is meh, although I am a fan of Calvin de Haan.

He's worked so hard to free up cap space so this team could add depth. And with it, he's added no substantial pieces to this team. Even though it makes sense why he opted to sign Lehner this year, I still feel that there were other areas that these team needed help besides having a total of $11M invested in two questionable goalies. The year before, he freed up money to sign Kunitz, Manning and Ward. Wastes of money.

Time will tell if he made the right call with a lot of these moves, but I don't like them right now. The offseason hasn't been terrible for Chicago, but I saw an opportunity for them to be clear winners, and they flopped. This is on top of all the prior moves he's made that have turned out poorly for the Hawks. To me, he's the worst GM in hockey right now.

Wow. I hope you step on a Lego.
SpaghettiPasta and krakowitz liked this.
Oct. 8, 2019 at 7:26 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Not many people expected them to be a 95 point team last season. I don't see them reaching that number again this season, but you never know. They'd have to stay close to 100% healthy. Other teams in the East are much improved.

*96 point team. IMO the habs will improve this year, but might have a few points less because of how much the east has improved. And no one expected that, except for most habs fans, reporters, players, and management when they saw the team play early on.
Brian2016 and SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Oct. 8, 2019 at 7:30 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Because they made the playoffs for severals season prior and several seasons after.

I didn't say Bergevin was the worst GM in the league. I said I've found his tenure lackluster. It's great that Habs fans have renewed confidence in him though.

I personally have never lost faith in him. Other fake habs fans or Subbanistas might have, but Bergevin has made very few actual bad moves. People just love to hate him because he traded away their favourite player for a better one.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit