SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Chicago Blackhawks signed Alex DeBrincat (3 Years / $6,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 3, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: WhatNowDiscussion
According to Pierre LeBrun, the contract pays DeBrincat $5.1 million in the first two years and then jumps to $9 million in the third year. He’ll still be a restricted free agent when the deal expires following the 2022-23 NHL season (the same summer that the contracts of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and Duncan Keith expire), so $9 million would be his qualifying offer if another extension isn’t hammered out by then.

he will be worth more than 9mil after this contract.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
Majors and minors
I gots a problem with this from players perspective bcuz this is absolute steal. Skinner takes 9 years to get 40, turns around n gets 9 per ?!?, Dude does it in 2, they give him a protected 4 n balance of 15.2 is subject to escrow!!! Sheesh. it ain't a good contract for the player.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Quoting: WhatNowDiscussion
According to Pierre LeBrun, the contract pays DeBrincat $5.1 million in the first two years and then jumps to $9 million in the third year. He’ll still be a restricted free agent when the deal expires following the 2022-23 NHL season (the same summer that the contracts of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and Duncan Keith expire), so $9 million would be his qualifying offer if another extension isn’t hammered out by then.

so? they resign kane, get toews at a more palatable number for his production or let him walk, let keith walk, compliance buyout seabrook and have a crap ton of cap space. this is perfect gming.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Random2152
Man 3 (and 4) years from now when all these bridge deals are up there will be absolute hell to pay, but in the mean time it's a good deal.

Totally agree.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Nazaleaf
Quoting: hanson493
so? they resign kane, get toews at a more palatable number for his production or let him walk, let keith walk, compliance buyout seabrook and have a crap ton of cap space. this is perfect gming.

You don't let a player like Toews go.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: thelastlongbow
You don't let a player like Toews go.

He will also be 34 years old when his contract is over... so how much is he going to have left in the tank after playing likely over 1k career games? if he wants more than hes worth at that point you let him go. simple as that.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 1:34 p.m.
I think there are three main things that people need to consider to judge an RFA contract:
1) AAV compared to peers on similar terms
2) Whether or not the player is likely to give production that will beat the cost
3) Does the salary term and structure fit the teams goals

Chicago wins on all 3. The AAV is below players Boeser, who should be the closest comparable, and his contract doesn't kick in until next year, so they also avoided inflation pushing it higher. The player is very likely to be worth more than the cap space allocated, as this is far under market value for a 35+ goal winger. And Chicago is tighter against the salary cap now then they will be in 3 years, so sacrificing the term to get the AAV down for now seems like a good bet.

Great work all around.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 2:21 p.m.
Not horrible.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: BurgerBoss
It really depends on how well he performs during these next 3 years. A year ago people were expecting Laine to hit closer to 50 goals and get a Matthews-like contract, but some sh*t happened and he got a low bridge. That could also happen to Debrincat, although it's a bit different situation.

Good thing DeBrincat isn’t obsessed w fortnite
Oct. 3, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Good thing DeBrincat isn’t obsessed w fortnite

Lol
Oct. 3, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
This makes me so happy. I am literally smiling from ear to ear right now!

You did a great job Stan!
Oct. 3, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
torontos finest
Great signing.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
Looks like the first Stan Bowman deal in a while that I think is actually good.
Oct. 3, 2019 at 11:28 p.m.
I don't understand why Stan couldn't get a long term deal done. Like $8M for 8 years. What's the problem with that? Why kick the can down the road w/ short term deal w/ a massive QA? This deal makes no sense right now. Still a full year left before he'd be a holdout.
Oct. 4, 2019 at 10:14 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I don't understand why Stan couldn't get a long term deal done. Like $8M for 8 years. What's the problem with that? Why kick the can down the road w/ short term deal w/ a massive QA? This deal makes no sense right now. Still a full year left before he'd be a holdout.

That assumes Debrincat would sign an 8 year deal for only $8M. I don't think an extra $1.6M would be enticing enough to get him on that kind of contract. Because of the QO in this deal, we essentially can assume that Debrincat would have wanted at least $7.05M to do a 4 year deal. If we assume the AAV would have to go up even more for every year of UFA status you are buying, I don't see how anything less than $9M-$9.5M gets you 8 years. Even then, that deal looks like a steal considering the years you are buying.

The problem is that the Blackhawks already have over $70M committed for next year, and need to sign a starting goalie, re-sign a few RFAs, maybe Gustaffsson, and fill out a roster. $2-$3M more on Debrincat's contract might make it even harder. They don't really have any quick and obvious guys to just ship out and make things easier either. Shaw and Saad could probably be moved in the offseason, but in any case, I think getting Debrincat on a good value contract now probably has a little more value to the organization at this point.
Oct. 4, 2019 at 1:10 p.m.
Even though the last year is 9 Million and it's only 3 years, I love this simply because it expires at the same time as Toews and Kane. Works perfectly for the team and player.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit