SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

When do teams panic

Oct. 8, 2019 at 10:04 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
The sharks are currently 0-3, and are losing 2-0 right now. When does a team panic?
Oct. 8, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
When? Not yet.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 3:14 a.m.
I think their fanbase is panicking already. How could they not be? DeBoer and Wilson have to be worried, as well. It's not just the fact that they're 0-4. Their goal differential is a ridiculous-12. Every single point matters and it's very difficult to make up ground. Karlsson has looked awful so far. I think Martin Jones is hung out to dry all the time, and he's already a way below average goalie statistically. They're similar defensively to WPG, but the Jets have better forward depth and goaltending.

Contrast the Sharks to a team like Dallas, who started 0-3. Dallas plays a sound defensive structure and gets consistent goaltending. They'll be fine. SJS will not make the playoffs. No chance.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 9:52 a.m.
torontos finest
I think you should wait at least 10 games.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 10:26 a.m.
thanksgiving, ive heard that that is the analysis point for teams.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
Is Dallas panicking yet? 1-7-1...-13 goal diff.

Yeah, I think so. But, they do have some winnable games coming up.
Oct. 20, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gee, I don't like the cap and overall structure of the Sharks. 26.5m in three Dmen whose contracts take them to their mid to late thirties. They don't seem to have much cap flexibility to make moves and have apparently have one of the weaker prospects group. On paper they should make the playoffs this year but at sooner this group they are going with is going to fail.

So many teams are at the cap. It is difficult to make moves, so the panic teams might face, is the team they started with in October, might be the group they have to go with all season.
SpaghettiPasta and Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 4:41 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Gee, I don't like the cap and overall structure of the Sharks. 26.5m in three Dmen whose contracts take them to their mid to late thirties. They don't seem to have much cap flexibility to make moves and have apparently have one of the weaker prospects group. On paper they should make the playoffs this year but at sooner this group they are going with is going to fail.

So many teams are at the cap. It is difficult to make moves, so the panic teams might face, is the team they started with in October, might be the group they have to go with all season.

I think Doug Wilson and the Sharks were really bummed when they didn't land Tavares. They recognized that they had a window to win w/ their veterans that would start to close in a few seasons, if not sooner. They would have been stacked down the middle w/ Tavares and instead they "settled" for Karlsson. I never liked the Karlsson contract b/c they already have Burns. EK is redundant on the PP and a defensive liability 5on5.

They would've been better off, in my opinion, re-signing Pavelski and using the remaining cap space to sign a solid top six scoring Winger or 3rd line Center. I don't think the Sharks will be a playoff team this season. Their Cup window is essentially closed.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 4:48 a.m.
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
The sharks are currently 0-3, and are losing 2-0 right now. When does a team panic?

At what point do the Leafs panic? I think their defensive play is troubling. Obviously, they can outscore almost anybody, but that's not a recipe for winning against the top teams. Are they a 100 point team this season? If not, they're gonna struggle to make the playoffs w/ the likes of BUF, FLA and MTL. Most likely, only one of these 4 teams will finish top 3 in the division (Along w/ TBL & BOS). And only 2 of these 4 teams (Including the Leafs) will make the playoffs.

BTW, how incredible do the contracts of BOS' big 3 look compared to those of TOR's big 3 plus Nylander? OUCH!
Oct. 24, 2019 at 5:17 a.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: Brian2016
At what point do the Leafs panic? I think their defensive play is troubling. Obviously, they can outscore almost anybody, but that's not a recipe for winning against the top teams. Are they a 100 point team this season? If not, they're gonna struggle to make the playoffs w/ the likes of BUF, FLA and MTL. Most likely, only one of these 4 teams will finish top 3 in the division (Along w/ TBL & BOS). And only 2 of these 4 teams (Including the Leafs) will make the playoffs.

BTW, how incredible do the contracts of BOS' big 3 look compared to those of TOR's big 3 plus Nylander? OUCH!

When they are playing like this without 4 key pieces injured, and without 4 back-to-backs in one month.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 7:21 a.m.
When they are playing like this without 4 key pieces injured, and without 4 back-to-backs in one month.

I don't think the fans are panicking as much as there's just a general sense of concern about their defense. But, they have been playing without the physical edge that they had last year b/c of the injuries and roster changes.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 8:33 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Oct. 24, 2019 at 8:39 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I don't think the fans are panicking as much as there's just a general sense of concern about their defense. But, they have been playing without the physical edge that they had last year b/c of the injuries and roster changes.

Since we talking about Leaf panic....let's talk logic. On December 1 last year (without Nylander) the Leafs were on 120 point pace....they finished with about what 102 points. They Left finished four points above the 9th place team in the Conference. So the reality is the Leafs haven't been good but no better than average for a year. During the off season they lost three of top Dmen....Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev. Their replacements, Barrie, Ceci and Holl haven't been as good. Plus Marincin replacing the injured Dermot. Fact is the Leafs are a worse team than last year...on paper, on the ice, in the standings.
My prediction of the Leafs battling for a playoff spot looks to be confirmed. Add to that a different coaching staff, and with Babcock an inferior coaching staff....well you see the results.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.
i hope ur hungry now
Quoting: palhal
Since we talking about Leaf panic....let's talk logic. On December 1 last year (without Nylander) the Leafs were on 120 point pace....they finished with about what 102 points. They Left finished four points above the 9th place team in the Conference. So the reality is the Leafs haven't been good but no better than average for a year. During the off season they lost three of top Dmen....Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev. Their replacements, Barrie, Ceci and Holl haven't been as good. Plus Marincin replacing the injured Dermot. Fact is the Leafs are a worse team than last year...on paper, on the ice, in the standings.
My prediction of the Leafs battling for a playoff spot looks to be confirmed. Add to that a different coaching staff, and with Babcock an inferior coaching staff....well you see the results.

Barrie has been very good. Ceci sucks. Holl is better than I thought
Oct. 24, 2019 at 11:31 a.m.
Barrie has been very good. Ceci sucks. Holl is better than I thought

Barrie has been average, leafs in general have been HORRIBLE in their own zone.
Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll