Forums/Armchair-GM

Blockbuster

Created by: arafay
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 9, 2019
Published: Oct. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gustavsson starts in the ahl to develop his offensive game and because he won’t get ice time once the bigs

Ik this is a pipe dream bur imagine peitrangelo on the blueline.
I don’t think anyone is offering the oil a better deal. They get a top 4 d who can put up numbers for cheap all the whole moving out a disgruntled player. Let me know in the comments about the pick

Copp is moved at the end of the season and Lowry walks.

Expansion protection list is:
Scheifele, wheeler, laine, Connor, ehlers, roslovic, Jp for forwards
JoMo, peitrangelo, niku on d
Hellebuyck on goalie

We trade out of the first round (into early 2nd which would be 3rd pick I believe) to keep them off appleton and berdin. They take spacek or comrie imo (only real good exposed peices) however, if comrie has a strong showing, he is likely trade before the draft
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,300,000
2$1,150,000
2$2,000,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,000,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (EDM)
WPG
  1. 2020 4th round pick (BUF)
WPG
  1. Comrie, Eric
Additional Details:
Claimed back from waivers
ARI
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,456,192$0$850,000$4,043,808
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
UFA - 7
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167
LD
RFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 9, 2019 at 11:44 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Crank that Petro offer up to 10 million and maybe you have a shot. Winnipeg isn’t exactly the ideal spot for a UFA to take a discount.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 11:47 p.m.
Edited Oct. 9, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Crank that Petro offer up to 10 million and maybe you have a shot. Winnipeg isn’t exactly the ideal spot for a UFA to take a discount.

I don’t think peitrangelo is worth karlsson/doughty money. He will probably get 7.5-8 (reportedly what Barrie who scores double the points wants)

Ps: Ik that what Barrie brings to the table and what peitrangelo bring are different but I have a fair point. Imo peitrangelo should get less than Barrie ad if Barrie wants 8 peitrangelo gets over 7. However I’m prepared to give up 8 million per if he takes that. Just want him on this team. Perfect fit imo

Edit: I think that Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto (if they can make the cap work), Vancouver, Chicago, Vegas (if they can make the cap work) and obviously St. Louis have he best shots at landing. Out of those I rank my top 4 as Toronto, Vegas, Chicago, Winnipeg. Winnipeg ranks last in terms of attraction but it has loads of opportunities for a player like peitrangelo. PP QB for one of the best pp’s in the league. Top pairing mins. Great chance to win. The last 2 can be offered elsewhere but the first can only be offered by Vegas who I doubt can make the cap work.
Oct. 9, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: arafay
I don’t think peitrangelo is worth karlsson/doughty money. He will probably get 7.5-8 (reportedly what Barrie who scores double the points wants)

Ps: Ik that what Barrie brings to the table and what peitrangelo bring are different but I have a fair point. Imo peitrangelo should get less than Barrie ad if Barrie wants 8 peitrangelo gets over 7. However I’m prepared to give up 8 million per if he takes that. Just want him on this team. Perfect fit imo

Edit: I think that Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto (if they can make the cap work), Vancouver, Chicago, Vegas (if they can make the cap work) and obviously St. Louis have he best shots at landing. Out of those I rank my top 4 as Toronto, Vegas, Chicago, Winnipeg. Winnipeg ranks last in terms of attraction but it has loads of opportunities for a player like peitrangelo. PP QB for one of the best pp’s in the league. Top pairing mins. Great chance to win. The last 2 can be offered elsewhere but the first can only be offered by Vegas who I doubt can make the cap work.

If you think Petro should get less than Barrie, you don’t have a fair point.
STLBlues17, TMG and mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
Sam
The Blues can and will offer the same money with an 8th year, he’s not gonna leave STL unless the Blues decide to part ways or if he gets 9.5+ mil
Oct. 10, 2019 at 12:56 a.m.
If you think Petro should get less than Barrie, you don’t have a fair point.

Quoting: STLBlues17
The Blues can and will offer the same money with an 8th year, he’s not gonna leave STL unless the Blues decide to part ways or if he gets 9.5+ mil

I guess I’m perceiving his value wrong. Trouba (just as effective with more offense imo) got 8. I honestly don’t see peitrangelo getting more than 8.5. All the comparables say he will get less. Barrie and Trouba are as close to peitrangelo as you get (more so Trouba).
Oct. 10, 2019 at 12:58 a.m.
Bcarlo25
I guess I’m perceiving his value wrong. Trouba (just as effective with more offense imo) got 8. I honestly don’t see peitrangelo getting more than 8.5. All the comparables say he will get less. Barrie and Trouba are as close to peitrangelo as you get (more so Trouba).

Trouba is not even close to as effective as Petro. I think your issue lies with not realizing how good Petro is.
STLBlues17 and mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:02 a.m.
Trouba is not even close to as effective as Petro. I think your issue lies with not realizing how good Petro is.

Maybe but I don’t think you realize how good Trouba is. They are both equal imo (peitrangelo moves better but Trouba brings more physicality and offense). Their playing styles are very similar. Sure if you want to say Trouba got less than he was worth only because he didn’t have a long track record of offensive numbers but at most I think that translates to 8.5 million per (500k more)
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:07 a.m.
Bcarlo25
Maybe but I don’t think you realize how good Trouba is. They are both equal imo (peitrangelo moves better but Trouba brings more physicality and offense). Their playing styles are very similar. Sure if you want to say Trouba got less than he was worth only because he didn’t have a long track record of offensive numbers but at most I think that translates to 8.5 million per (500k more)

Let’s just pretend that Trouba brings anything close to what Petro does. I’ll play along. If Trouba had signed his deal as a pending UFA coming off a Stanley cup win as the teams number one defender, maybe you would have an argument. If they were just as good as each other, Petro would probably be looking at 1.5-2 million more.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:17 a.m.
Let’s just pretend that Trouba brings anything close to what Petro does. I’ll play along. If Trouba had signed his deal as a pending UFA coming off a Stanley cup win as the teams number one defender, maybe you would have an argument. If they were just as good as each other, Petro would probably be looking at 1.5-2 million more.

Trouba was pretty close to UFA status and held most of the cards and was coming off a great season. Imo stl doesn’t really have a number 1 (at least specified). Parayko and peitrangelo both are bith #1 guys (a 2 headed demon if you will) but I guess that argument could be made. Trouba is a top shutdown d man in the league just like peitrangelo and peitrangelo hasn’t hit 50 in his whole career (and Trouba will likely hit it for the 2nd time). I dont think that the difference between Trouba and peitrangelo is that big. Full UFA status doesn’t get you 1.5-2 million more than you would otherwise and the rangers paid for trouba’s prime years while the team paying peitrangelo will be paying for mostly his later years. Therefore I think that peitrangelo should get similar money to Trouba.

(I know peitrangelo brings a lot of things Trouba doesn’t but so does Trouba with the main one being offense.)

Ps: how do you like the trades/roster
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:22 a.m.
Sam
Edited Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:29 a.m.

C’mon now, Trouba and Barrie are maybe top-30 defenseman, Pietrangelo is anywhere from 8th to 15th. Pietrangelo is better at creating 5v5 offense and suppressing shots than either of them and it’s not like his point totals lag way behind either. Barrie put up a bunch of points on the powerplay and is a very good player, but he really wasn’t very effective away from the MacKinnon line and Trouba had a great season last year but a lot of his points came from just touching the puck on a great power play rather than actually creating offense.
mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:27 a.m.
Bcarlo25
Trouba was pretty close to UFA status and held most of the cards and was coming off a great season. Imo stl doesn’t really have a number 1 (at least specified). Parayko and peitrangelo both are bith #1 guys (a 2 headed demon if you will) but I guess that argument could be made. Trouba is a top shutdown d man in the league just like peitrangelo and peitrangelo hasn’t hit 50 in his whole career (and Trouba will likely hit it for the 2nd time). I dont think that the difference between Trouba and peitrangelo is that big. Full UFA status doesn’t get you 1.5-2 million more than you would otherwise and the rangers paid for trouba’s prime years while the team paying peitrangelo will be paying for mostly his later years. Therefore I think that peitrangelo should get similar money to Trouba.

(I know peitrangelo brings a lot of things Trouba doesn’t but so does Trouba with the main one being offense.)

Ps: how do you like the trades/roster

What are you talking about? Pietrangelo is absolutely their number one D. He plays more minutes. He plays more 5 on 5 minutes.

As for the offense argument, again, what are you talking about? Pietrangelo has 3 seasons with more points than Trouba’s career best (which was way more than troubas averages). Petro has put up .578 points per game over his career. Trouba? .446.

Yes, UFA vs RFA makes a massive difference, especially if a player hits the open market, which is what you have happening in this wacky scenario.
mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:32 a.m.
What are you talking about? Pietrangelo is absolutely their number one D. He plays more minutes. He plays more 5 on 5 minutes.

As for the offense argument, again, what are you talking about? Pietrangelo has 3 seasons with more points than Trouba’s career best (which was way more than troubas averages). Petro has put up .578 points per game over his career. Trouba? .446.

Yes, UFA vs RFA makes a massive difference, especially if a player hits the open market, which is what you have happening in this wacky scenario.

Mb I misread a column of stats. I feel dumb I read assists as points. Yeah peitrangelo deserves more than Trouba. Trouba was less proven and got 8. I would say peitrangelo gets 9.
Bcarlo25 and mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:34 a.m.
Sam

I think clearly the best comparable is John Carlson. They have nearly identical stat lines since entering the league and were both coming off cup runs. Carlson’s results have been better in recent years, but I think that’s partially due to an easier roll which Pietrangelo would likely have the same results if placed in.

Edit: A lot of people forget how good Pietrangelo is because Hitchcock ran him into the ground. Now that Parayko’s taken a lot of the tougher minutes, Pietrangelo’s gotten to play with better partners (Gunnarsson, Dunn) and destroyed his competition.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:36 a.m.
C’mon now, Trouba and Barrie are maybe top-30 defenseman, Pietrangelo is anywhere from 8th to 15th. Pietrangelo is better at creating 5v5 offense and suppressing shots than either of them and it’s not like his point totals lag way behind either. Barrie put up a bunch of points on the powerplay and is a very good player, but he really wasn’t very effective away from the MacKinnon line and Trouba had a great season last year but a lot of his points came from just touching the puck on a great power play rather than actually creating offense.

Most of trouba’s points came 5v5. But yes I misread a column of stats. However your evaluation that peitrangelo will hey 9.5 is still too much imo. 9 probably. Trouba got 8 (similar player but less proven) so peitrangelo gets 9. However I don’t think peitrangelo is miles bettter than Trouba. Both are elite shutdown defensemen. And one has a better track record than the other
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.
Sam
Most of trouba’s points came 5v5. But yes I misread a column of stats. However your evaluation that peitrangelo will hey 9.5 is still too much imo. 9 probably. Trouba got 8 (similar player but less proven) so peitrangelo gets 9. However I don’t think peitrangelo is miles bettter than Trouba. Both are elite shutdown defensemen. And one has a better track record than the other

Wouldn’t call either of them shutdown defenseman
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:38 a.m.
I think clearly the best comparable is John Carlson. They have nearly identical stat lines since entering the league and were both coming off cup runs. Carlson’s results have been better in recent years, but I think that’s partially due to an easier roll which Pietrangelo would likely have the same results.

If you think Carlson is a comparable then the cap adjusted for percentage is 8.35 per. I think he gets more but not much more. 9 at most imo
STLBlues17 liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:39 a.m.
Wouldn’t call either of them shutdown defenseman

By that I meant they are elite at shutting down he opponents best. No player that can score 50 pts in a season is just a shutdown d-man
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:39 a.m.
Sam
If you think Carlson is a comparable then the cap adjusted for percentage is 8.35 per. I think he gets more but not much more. 9 at most imo

That seems right
arafay liked this.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:42 a.m.
Sam
By that I meant they are elite at shutting down he opponents best. No player that can score 50 pts in a season is just a shutdown d-man

I don’t think either of them really shutdown opponents particularly well though. @Bcarlo25 will hate for me this, but neither Pietrangelo nor Trouba have ever had great defensive metrics and both of them are significantly more offensively oriented. Pietrangelo used to play in a shutdown role and it kind of worked, but I think last year shows that the Blues are much better when Parayko gets those minutes instead.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:48 a.m.
I don’t think either of them really shutdown opponents particularly well though. @Bcarlo25 will hate for me this, but neither Pietrangelo nor Trouba have ever had great defensive metrics and both of them are significantly more offensively oriented. Pietrangelo used to play in a shutdown role and it kind of worked, but I think last year shows that the Blues are much better when Parayko gets those minutes instead.

Well then you clearly don’t know what trouba’s role was in the peg. He was our top pairing rd ahead of buff for a reason. He never outplayed buff. He just made a great shutdown paring with Morrissey. He routinely was used as a shutdown d-man. That was his job, prevent the opponents best from scoring and they did a damn good job.

Also you can’t have great defensive numbers when you are up against the other teams’ best. That’s where possession metrics aren’t the most accurate for defensemen.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Sam
Well then you clearly don’t know what trouba’s role was in the peg. He was our top pairing rd ahead of buff for a reason. He never outplayed buff. He just made a great shutdown paring with Morrissey. He routinely was used as a shutdown d-man. That was his job, prevent the opponents best from scoring and they did a damn good job.

Also you can’t have great defensive numbers when you are up against the other teams’ best. That’s where possession metrics aren’t the most accurate for defensemen.

I agree and disagree. I do think that stats people have a ways to go before they fully understand usage (especially related to defenseman, example: they always thought Shattenkirk was better than Pietrangelo because Pietrangelo got slaughtered with tough minutes) but even when you adjust for everything, Trouba’s defensive impact is average to slightly below average. Compare him to guys like Hjalmarson/Parayko who also play against top lines and he’s not close
Oct. 10, 2019 at 8:36 a.m.
Bcarlo25

I don’t hate you for using the term metrics. I pity you. You’re missing a great game out there.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 8:44 a.m.
Off topic, but Edmonton isn't interested in Pionk.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 8:49 a.m.
Trouba signed his current 7-year deal at 25. It covers his 25- through 31-year-old season, the heart of his career. Pietrangelo will be 30 next summer, a 7-year deal takes him past his 37th birthday. None of these are prime years... he may not decline as fast as most players do, but you're taking a much bigger risk on a long-term deal for a 30-year-old than for a 25-year-old.

Just sayin.
Oct. 10, 2019 at 9:44 a.m.
Jetsfan

How is STL going to pay Petro 8M+? They will have to trade a few players who are making loads of money ie Bozak, Steen...etc

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll