SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

NHL Challenges

Do you think judgement calls such as goalie interference should be challengeable?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 11, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
I HATE, the review system in hockey. I have no idea how it is so terrible and can be so controversial. The ref judgement on what is and what isnt goalie interference and what is or isnt offsides is an absolute joke. I think they need to change the system, goalie interference should be a call in from toronto if the puck goes in and there is no call on the ice. The league needs to call to overturn. If there is a call on the ice and the puck goes in then it has to have been egregious enough for it to be a penalty right, common sense wise? Same with offsides. Im tired of seeing these coaches use a replay for a skate being half an inch over the line or the blade off the ice but not past the line. If the guy is so far offsides that the human eye could have easily determined it was offsides than sure take the goal off the board. If its so close you need to literally go slow-motion frame by frame, it isnt effecting the outcome of the play. whether the goal comes seconds later or a minute later. Stopping games for 5+ minutes to look to see if any part of the blade is still on the blue paint before the puck crosses is getting ridiculous.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I didn't like the coach's challenge when it was added, but it's grown on me a lot. It's good because it doesn't mean review after review after review, but teams have the option to challenge a call that they think was the wrong call. I like the penalty rule (vs. the timeout rule) because it's a bigger risk if you challenge, and it should lead to less challenges and teams only challenging if they're really confident it'll get changed, but they can still challenge unlimited times if they really need to.

I agree that we need to understand what is goalie interference and what isn't ... i like the change that they made where the situation room gets the decision because it should lead to more consistency and IMO it has so far, at least a bit. Offside had been debated on what the rules should be, but Gary Bettman once said something that i totally agree with. He said goalie interference is a debate because nobody really knows what is and what isn't goalie interference. But he said offside is really about whether you like the rule or not. That can be a debate but the offside calls are pretty consistent. Sure, maybe the offside rules should be different, but at least they're easy to understand and we know what is offside and what isn't.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I didn't like the coach's challenge when it was added, but it's grown on me a lot. It's good because it doesn't mean review after review after review, but teams have the option to challenge a call that they think was the wrong call. I like the penalty rule (vs. the timeout rule) because it's a bigger risk if you challenge, and it should lead to less challenges and teams only challenging if they're really confident it'll get changed, but they can still challenge unlimited times if they really need to.

I agree that we need to understand what is goalie interference and what isn't ... i like the change that they made where the situation room gets the decision because it should lead to more consistency and IMO it has so far, at least a bit. Offside had been debated on what the rules should be, but Gary Bettman once said something that i totally agree with. He said goalie interference is a debate because nobody really knows what is and what isn't goalie interference. But he said offside is really about whether you like the rule or not. That can be a debate but the offside calls are pretty consistent. Sure, maybe the offside rules should be different, but at least they're easy to understand and we know what is offside and what isn't.

Heres my thing with offsides, as i stated a little above. if the guy is offsides to the naked eye and easily distinguishable and DOESNT get called. thats fine, i dont mind those challenges. but, for example the play last night the bruins scored on. pastrnak was offside by less than the length of a pen, that isnt significant to the play nor can a naked eye pick that up and be like yup he was super offsides, teams shouldnt be allowed to look at replay to determine yes or no on challenging offsides. should be a reactionary bench call. if you have to look the finitely to screen pixels, its insignificant to the play. further on that if the play continues in the offensive zone for a significant amount of time where the defense can react, and set up, and has multiple chances to defend the goal, whether the player was offsides initially really becomes moot unless he was the major reason the puck stayed in the offensive zone.

Goalie interference last night was a load of crap. Bruins should have been up 3-1 at that point in the game. Tuukka gets run over in the playoffs and it isnt goalie interference, but krejci taps grubby with a stick and it is? cmon man. just stop reviewing that crap. either call it a penalty or dont.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
There's little doubt that video review as a concept has made the game better and more fair. But, I think the league opened up a pandora's box when they agreed to allow offsides AND goalie interference challenges. At least offsides is, for the most part, a black and white call. As are the new challenges. I think this has made the game much better and taken some scrutiny away from the on-ice officials.

Goalie interference, on the other hand, is still way too subjective, in my opinion. The reviews often take a long time and can ruin the momentum of the game, especially from a TV perspective. Nobody wants to sit there for 5 minutes waiting for the refs and Toronto to "get it right." I would scrap it completely. The others...I'd keep.

The COL/BOS game last night perfectly illustrates this point about goalie interference. Games should not be decided on subjective, gray-area decisions. As far as offsides, it has to be 100% objective to work, even if the player is offsides by a millimeter or two. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? 5mm...10mm...one stride?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit