Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 11, 2019
Published: Oct. 11, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
MIN
  1. Staal, Marc
Additional Details:
Staal's contract is a year shorter, and NYR needs cap relief next year with the large increase to the Shattenkirk buyout. Rask might not play in the lineup or be a permanent fourth liner, but at the benefit to an extra near-2 million in cap to offset the Shattenkirk raise. This trade is unique in that Staal might logically waive his NMC at desire from his brother.
NYR
  1. Rask, Victor
Additional Details:
I think MIN adds to this trade marginally. 300000 retention is also possible to make the Ranger's round number to 2M in savings. The other alternative is MIN adding a mid/late pick (4th-6th round) to offset the possibilities of Rask being irrelevant. Consider the conditional pick on the Neal/Lucic trade.
MIN
  1. Dubinsky, Brandon ($250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
This is more of a desperation trade. Both players are not in the top 12 right now, so this is made on the lone basis of generating some form of spark in both players. Neither team is in cap trouble right now, so the difference is by how much they value the one year difference compared to the AAV.
Also in question is Dubinsky's M-NTC
CBJ
    Victor Rask
    MIN
    1. Okposo, Kyle ($750,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    Okposo still has potential to be a 2nd-4th liner in this league. MIN needs right handed RWers, and Okposo could become of something again. If not, it's worth analyzing the worst case scenarios. Buffalo might not use Rask, but this move certainly allows for a young spot to come in, or to allow for a TDL move such as acquiring Toffoli.
    BUF
    1. 2021 4th round pick (MIN)
    Additional Details:
    Viktor Rask
    NYR
      OTHER: This might work as a one-for-one without any changes. MIN may be able to slot Smith into their bottom pair. I still like the Staal move more, so not much emphasis on this one
      MIN
      1. Gudbranson, Erik
      2. Johnson, Jack ($250,000 retained)
      PIT
        Rask, 250k retained for Gudbranson OR Rask for JJ w/ retention.

These trades were considered on the "real" and never became of anything, so why propose what's already been denied?
        Buyouts
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        24$81,500,000$80,146,091$0$1,232,500$1,353,909
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Minnesota Wild
        $7,538,462$7,538,462
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        $1,625,000$1,625,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
        RW, C
        RFA - 1
        $2,875,000$2,875,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $1,487,500$1,487,500
        C
        UFA - 2
        $916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
        $5,250,000$5,250,000
        RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $7,538,462$7,538,462
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RD
        UFA - 4
        $2,166,667$2,166,667
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $4,166,667$4,166,667
        LD
        UFA - 2
        $5,187,500$5,187,500
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $785,000$785,000
        G
        UFA - 3
        Logo of the New York Rangers
        $5,700,000$5,700,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $750,000$750,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RD
        UFA - 2
        $725,000$725,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
        $5,600,000$5,600,000
        C, LW
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 2
        $792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
        LW, C
        RFA - 2
        Logo of the New York Rangers
        $4,350,000$4,350,000
        LD/RD, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
        $4,000,000$4,000,000
        RD
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        LD
        UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 9:40 p.m.
        Yes, I said three and posted five. The last two are just there to illustrate my thought process and are not part of my actual proposal.

Please provide constructive criticism for the first three trades.
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 9:48 p.m.
        Just Keep Swimming
        MIN has no reason to do any of these. More, older and expensive players that don't make the team better.
        JayTea liked this.
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 9:49 p.m.
        14m in dead cap
        Rask for Staal works the same way my personal favorite of Rask for Backes works: Rask saves those teams cap space this year and next year, while the Wild will be able to afford buying out Staal or Backes next summer (or just keep them and not have to deal with any dead cap). Rask is only $1.33m over 4 years to buy out, so that's easy enough for Boston or NY to work into their cap.

I don't see the Wild trying to get a reclamation project like Okposo or Ryan out of Rask. I think at this point, Guerin just wants to fix the mistake Fenton made as quickly as possible and move on.
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 9:56 p.m.
        Quoting: Random2152
        MIN has no reason to do any of these. More, older and expensive players that don't make the team better.

I think that description applies to the Dubinsky trade. That an equivalent to the thought process of Lucic-Neal. And so far that trade has worked for one team (early judgement, yes). Both of these players had some impact in the past. They might not rebound to any reason, but a swap of equivalents, or a lesser player at lower term is still value. This trade doesn't fit the MIN management perspective though.

Staal - Rask makes lots of sense to me. It's an exact swap of needs. MIN needs depth defense and to free up their forward positions for their prospects. Does it make them better? I think it does. Staal might be fading, but he is still a far better defenseman than Rask is a forward. It's only Staal's contract that balances the value difference. And this works for the Rangers in that they get their much needed cap relief next year (they can't do any buyouts next year). IF it doesn't work for the Wild, buying out Staal's remaining year (2 year buyout) is much easier to handle than Rask (assuming they bought him out next year) over a span of four years. Staal might cost more overall, but term/length is more valuable than individual dollars.

The Okposo trade mirrors your Ryan trade. Okposo is slightly worse than Ryan, the difference being weighed in the 1.25 M less. That's 2M less considering I have Okposo heavily retained. Okposo is far better than Rask, and has bounceback appeal. The reasons for BUF are similar to the Rangers. BUF might let him stay as their fourth line center next year though or experiment him in a scoring role again.
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 10:05 p.m.
        Just Keep Swimming
        Quoting: Wqrrior
        I think that description applies to the Dubinsky trade. That an equivalent to the thought process of Lucic-Neal. And so far that trade has worked for one team (early judgement, yes). Both of these players had some impact in the past. They might not rebound to any reason, but a swap of equivalents, or a lesser player at lower term is still value. This trade doesn't fit the MIN management perspective though.

Staal - Rask makes lots of sense to me. It's an exact swap of needs. MIN needs depth defense and to free up their forward positions for their prospects. Does it make them better? I think it does. Staal might be fading, but he is still a far better defenseman than Rask is a forward. It's only Staal's contract that balances the value difference. And this works for the Rangers in that they get their much needed cap relief next year (they can't do any buyouts next year). IF it doesn't work for the Wild, buying out Staal's remaining year (2 year buyout) is much easier to handle than Rask (assuming they bought him out next year) over a span of four years. Staal might cost more overall, but term/length is more valuable than individual dollars.

The Okposo trade mirrors your Ryan trade. Okposo is slightly worse than Ryan, the difference being weighed in the 1.25 M less. That's 2M less considering I have Okposo heavily retained. Okposo is far better than Rask, and has bounceback appeal. The reasons for BUF are similar to the Rangers. BUF might let him stay as their fourth line center next year though or experiment him in a scoring role again.

The big advantage of my Ryan trade is that it makes sense for management AND ownership AND the players AND the teams. All of these moves fail in at least one of those categories, many fail more than one.
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 10:08 p.m.
        14m in dead cap
        Quoting: Wqrrior

I think you misunderstand the Wild's current situation. They have plenty of depth at defense, with Pateryn, Soucy, Seeler, Belpedio and Hunt competing for the bottom pair spots. As for Rask taking away a forward roster spot, he isn't. The 2 forwards who will likely see NHL time if there's an injury is Nico Sturm and Gerald Mayhew who were both good enough to make the opening night roster, but not good enough to play over a guy like Donato or Greenway. Since they want them playing, they're in the AHL. Rask isn't taking playing time from anyone, he's sitting in the press box collecting $4m and probably won't play much unless there's injuries.
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 10:23 p.m.
        Okposo is actually a good player and sabres really probably won't trade him...
        Oct. 11, 2019 at 10:24 p.m.
        Unless it's next year and it saves a lot of cap
        Oct. 12, 2019 at 12:11 a.m.
        I would never trade Guddy for Rask... Guddy is good... Rask wouldn't make our top 13 when healthy, no need to add an extra year of nearly 4 mil and get a worse player, now JJ for Guddy cold work... JJ buried all 4 years is a bit over 8, Rask buried would cost a bit under 9, but it's more/year so tougher to manage for a cap team... Pros and cons both way imo
        Oct. 12, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.
        Nice analysis but the best option reallly is to buyout Rask. His buyout really isnt anything to lose sleep over. Seeing the players Minny would get back, it just makes more sense to get rid of the problem altogether and just have a little less cap space to work with.
        Oct. 12, 2019 at 10:21 a.m.
        Why even bother trading Rask? He's not hurting anything by being the pressbox FWD.

MN has 0 need or want for another d-man. They have a good top-4, and 4 bottom pair d-men already on the team.

Buf has no reason to get rid of Okposso.

The Dubinsky trade could work as a change of scenery trade, but Rask just had a change of scenery to MN and hasn't worked out. I see no reason CBJ to make the move. They could possibly make a different change of scenery trade with another team and it might actually work out for them.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll