Forums/Armchair-GM

Buffalo fans how would this team do without rushing the rebuild

Created by: gretzkyghosts
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 12, 2019
Published: Oct. 12, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
White drafted by Ottawa from the Lehner trade.
Roslovic drafted by Winnipeg from the Kane trade.
Armia not traded in the Kane trade.
Compher not traded in the O'Reilly trade.
Zadorov not traded in the O'Reilly trade.
McNabb not traded in the Deslauriers trade.
Cernak drafted by Tampa from the Deslauriers trade.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$79,871,666$0$1,342,500$1,628,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,650,000$3,650,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,275,000$2,275,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,550,000$1,550,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,325,000$1,325,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,387,500$3,387,500
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 12, 2019 at 9:23 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
you forgot to reverse the Jokiharju trade.
Oct. 12, 2019 at 9:27 p.m.
If Armia is your 2nd line RW you are still in a rebuild...
Oct. 12, 2019 at 9:27 p.m.
When did Buffalo start their rebuild?

How many GMs have they had during their rebuild?

How many coaches have they had during their rebuild?
Oct. 12, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman

And the Montour, C Miller, Jeff Skinner etc...
Oct. 12, 2019 at 9:32 p.m.
Defiently worse, I would love to undo ROR trade though
Oct. 12, 2019 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN

I would like to undo OREILLY to stl. Pretty dumb move.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 12, 2019 at 10:45 p.m.
I am not making any assumptions about drafting Draisaitl over Reinhart or Sergachev of Nylander, both taken directly after the Buffalo picks. I am adding the players traded away and players taken with the picks traded away. I did not presume that Aho could have been drafted with the 2nd traded when O'Reilly was acquired or any other wild guesses like getting Konecny instead of White or Beauvillier over Roslovic.
All of the players are easily obtainable with the assets that were on hand.
White is projected to be solid #2 center I put him at RW,
Armia has developed into a good PK power forward.
McNabb is always near the top of his team's +/-
Zadorov is always among the league hit leaders.
Cernak is considered one of Tampa's up and coming defensemen.
Myers has always been reliable and other GM's know this as he was given a 5 year contract at $6,000,000/yr.
The team is at least as good the one on the ice now, with more home grown talent.
Let me add, this is a very young team with most players still room to be better.

Quoting: Stan_Bowman

I am presuming all the same players being drafted, so Nylander is still available to be traded for Jokiharju! I will give up Jokiharju if you agree that the Sabres probably would have finished last in 2016 as they did in 2014 and 2015 with a shot at Matthews or Laine instead of Nylander.
Quoting: Nick623
If Armia is your 2nd line RW you are still in a rebuild...

Why, Armia is off to a great start 3 goals in 5 games and last year he had 13 goals in only 57 games (nearly 20 goals over 82 games), playing less than 16 minutes a game. BTW are you saying Sobotka is better than Armia?
Quoting: aedoran
When did Buffalo start their rebuild?
How many GMs have they had during their rebuild?
How many coaches have they had during their rebuild?

Well this is presuming all of the draft choices made my Murray were the same, as well as the picks made by the teams to which he traded the picks.
But to answer the question, the rebuild started when Dahlin was drafted and all of the garbage was out of the locker room.
Quoting: Nick623
And the Montour, C Miller, Jeff Skinner etc...

Why, Miller and Skinner were picked up for 2nd round picks, and Montour for a first. There is nothing here that is unreasonable, as all of those picks were available.

Why is this team definitely worse? The only loss is Dahlin (I know that is a big reduction), but Compher, Armia, White, and Roslovic are better than Okposo, Sobotka, and Rodrigues. Zadorov, McNabb and Cernak are all quality Defensemen. But the team probably finishes last in 2016 and has a good chance to get either Matthews or Laine instead of rushing the rebuild.
So you want to keep a captain who said he lost his love of the game. Captains are suppose to instill the team with fire in their bellies and hold players accountable, not give up. Let me add 81, 78 and 62 so how did his presence in the line up improve the team? He was traded to a team that missed the playoffs by one pt in '17-'18 and added not only him but Perron, Bozak and Binnington but we are all led to believe that his 50% FO wins during the playoffs is what lead the Blues to the finals and the cup the following year.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
Well this is presuming all of the draft choices made my Murray were the same, as well as the picks made by the teams to which he traded the picks.
But to answer the question, the rebuild started when Dahlin was drafted and all of the garbage was out of the locker room.

Ok 2018 really? So you weren't rebuilding the 6 seasons you missed the playoffs prior to that?
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 6:33 a.m.
I am not making any assumptions about drafting Draisaitl over Reinhart or Sergachev of Nylander, both taken directly after the Buffalo picks. I am adding the players traded away and players taken with the picks traded away. I did not presume that Aho could have been drafted with the 2nd traded when O'Reilly was acquired or any other wild guesses like getting Konecny instead of White or Beauvillier over Roslovic.
All of the players are easily obtainable with the assets that were on hand.
White is projected to be solid #2 center I put him at RW,
Armia has developed into a good PK power forward.
McNabb is always near the top of his team's +/-
Zadorov is always among the league hit leaders.
Cernak is considered one of Tampa's up and coming defensemen.
Myers has always been reliable and other GM's know this as he was given a 5 year contract at $6,000,000/yr.
The team is at least as good the one on the ice now, with more home grown talent.
Let me add, this is a very young team with most players still room to be better.

I am presuming all the same players being drafted, so Nylander is still available to be traded for Jokiharju! I will give up Jokiharju if you agree that the Sabres probably would have finished last in 2016 as they did in 2014 and 2015 with a shot at Matthews or Laine instead of Nylander.

Why, Armia is off to a great start 3 goals in 5 games and last year he had 13 goals in only 57 games (nearly 20 goals over 82 games), playing less than 16 minutes a game. BTW are you saying Sobotka is better than Armia?

Why, Miller and Skinner were picked up for 2nd round picks, and Montour for a first. There is nothing here that is unreasonable, as all of those picks were available.

Why is this team definitely worse? The only loss is Dahlin (I know that is a big reduction), but Compher, Armia, White, and Roslovic are better than Okposo, Sobotka, and Rodrigues. Zadorov, McNabb and Cernak are all quality Defensemen. But the team probably finishes last in 2016 and has a good chance to get either Matthews or Laine instead of rushing the rebuild.
So you want to keep a captain who said he lost his love of the game. Captains are suppose to instill the team with fire in their bellies and hold players accountable, not give up. Let me add 81, 78 and 62 so how did his presence in the line up improve the team? He was traded to a team that missed the playoffs by one pt in '17-'18 and added not only him but Perron, Bozak and Binnington but we are all led to believe that his 50% FO wins during the playoffs is what lead the Blues to the finals and the cup the following year.

Look at the goalies also, we lost our best.goslie imo, and not having Dahlin is a huuuge loss.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: aedoran
Ok 2018 really? So you weren't rebuilding the 6 seasons you missed the playoffs prior to that?

No we were not rebuilding we were giving away prospects and picks for other teams cast offs. The team finished last in 2018 so if that is the consequence of rebuilding, I would rather not tear the team down. Yup the worse rebuild ever up until the end of 2018, then a true rebuild was started.
Look at the goalies also, we lost our best.goslie imo, and not having Dahlin is a huuuge loss.

Let's look at the GK at the end of this year. Did Lehner ever perform as a championship GK when he was in Buffalo? I thought the year we had Johnson, Nillson and Ullmark as his back up they all had better w/l % than he. What did Lehner do to bring a championship here? I will repeat 81 78 and 62. BTW the year we had 81 pts he only played 21 games. So the best record the Sabres had while he was here, he was not the primary GK.
I know not having Dahlin is huge and 6 #2 D-men will replace him, but were you happy finishing last in 2018. The Hockey Writers Association looked at the improvements Botterill made during the off season and predicted the Sabres would make the playoffs. If the talent is there, but the players are not performing up to the expectations, it time to clean house. Getting Dahlin should have been out of the question and an unexpected bonus for poor on ice results, the team was not predicted to be the worse team in the NHL.
BTW as I stated above if the rebuild is not rushed then the team has a shot at Laine. I know it would never happen but Laine (or Matthews or Dubois or Tkachuk), Zadorov, McNabb, Myers, Cernak, White, Armia, Compher, and Roslovic gives the team talented depth which would make the team very difficult to defend against. That my friend is the talent that was lost by rushing the rebuild.
As a final thought, maybe the team is still bad in 2018 and gets Dahlin anyway. LOL
Oct. 13, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
By losing our best GK I meant Hutton, not Lehner...but Lehner had anxiety attacks and was an alcoholic when he played for us so probably not surprising that he didn't preform.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.
Edited Oct. 13, 2019 at 4:56 p.m.
By losing our best GK I meant Hutton, not Lehner...but Lehner had anxiety attacks and was an alcoholic when he played for us so probably not surprising that he didn't preform.

I understand that Lehner had emotional problems, and that the first attempt at rebuilding was a disaster, I thought it would be obvious beyond question, that having the prospects and players traded away added to the current roster would result in a better team. But apparently I am in error.
But in responce to your comment, all the better, adding Hutton and Mittelstadt would make the team even better than the roster I have above.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
I understand that Lehner had emotional problems, and that the first attempt at rebuilding was a disaster, I thought it was be obvious beyond question, that having the prospects and players traded away added to the current roster would result in a better team. But apparently I am in error.
But in responce to your comment, all the better, adding Hutton and Mittelstadt would make the team even better than the roster I have above.

I do believe the current roster is good, and could be slightly better than ours now, on offense, but defense and Goalie is worse.iMO. Goaltending for sure...defense is similar, I just think Dahlin at LD is better than the new.additions, Myers does help.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 7:20 p.m.
I do believe the current roster is good, and could be slightly better than ours now, on offense, but defense and Goalie is worse.iMO. Goaltending for sure...defense is similar, I just think Dahlin at LD is better than the new.additions, Myers does help.

I should have included Hutton as he was a free agent and would most likely have been signed in an alternative universe, so at least the GK would be the same.
Not having Dahlin is HUGE. Because of the Salary cap a team can really only afford a Top 10 Center, Defenseman, Goalie and decent role players to be in the playoff hunt. Some teams can afford more but I think in a couple of years Reinhart, Eichel, Skinner and Dahlin will consume about 50% of the cap space leaving little cap space for Olofsson, Montour, Miller, Mittelstadt (on the average they will be asking for $6,000,000 each or about 30% of the cap) and the other 15 players will have to split about $20,000,000 among them. I hate to say it but, the window for Buffalo will start to close in 2 years when the last four players will be looking for big paychecks and Buffalo will need to trim the roster and play younger perhaps less talented players.
On the bright side Dahlin in a few years will be the NHL top defenseman as the current candidates are aging (Burns, Hedman, Weber, Subban, Karlsson etc) and he is better than any of the younger crop (Reilly, Carlson, Heiskanen etc). But I left him off of the team as the team would have to have finished last in 2018, and that may not have happened in my alternative universe. I did not want to have to explain how the Sabres could have a good young team as I posted above and still finish last in 2018. As you can see it was a struggle to explain that Jokiharju, Miller, Montour, Skinner etc would still be on the team.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 13, 2019 at 7:31 p.m.
I should have included Hutton as he was a free agent and would most likely have been signed in an alternative universe, so at least the GK would be the same.
Not having Dahlin is HUGE. Because of the Salary cap a team can really only afford a Top 10 Center, Defenseman, Goalie and decent role players to be in the playoff hunt. Some teams can afford more but I think in a couple of years Reinhart, Eichel, Skinner and Dahlin will consume about 50% of the cap space leaving little cap space for Olofsson, Montour, Miller, Mittelstadt (on the average they will be asking for $6,000,000 each or about 30% of the cap) and the other 15 players will have to split about $20,000,000 among them. I hate to say it but, the window for Buffalo will start to close in 2 years when the last four players will be looking for big paychecks and Buffalo will need to trim the roster and play younger perhaps less talented players.
On the bright side Dahlin in a few years will be the NHL top defenseman as the current candidates are aging (Burns, Hedman, Weber, Subban, Karlsson etc) and he is better than any of the younger crop (Reilly, Carlson, Heiskanen etc). But I left him off of the team as the team would have to have finished last in 2018, and that may not have happened in my alternative universe. I did not want to have to explain how the Sabres could have a good young team as I posted above and still finish last in 2018. As you can see it was a struggle to explain that Jokiharju, Miller, Montour, Skinner etc would still be on the team.

Nah, the Salary cap should increase I think so the Sabres.window.should be open for longer. I think in 3 years the cap will grow a good amount!
gretzkyghosts liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll