G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 1:53 p.m.
    Habs1289
    If you pick up Hall you can leave mcdavid and Draisaitl together they’re too good to break up
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 1:54 p.m.
    Banned
    I really feel for Oiler fans. This is going to blow up on them so badly. The Oilers have been heavily outplayed when McDavid isn't on the ice and that is going to catch up to this team. McDavid will need to score 4 points a night for this team to make the playoffs. Once their luck turns a little, the bottom 6 is going to let in 3-4 goals a night and McDavid will watch himself score 3 points a night and lose 4-3.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
    Quoting: LoganOllivier
    I really feel for Oiler fans. This is going to blow up on them so badly. The Oilers have been heavily outplayed when McDavid isn't on the ice and that is going to catch up to this team. McDavid will need to score 4 points a night for this team to make the playoffs. Once their luck turns a little, the bottom 6 is going to let in 3-4 goals a night and McDavid will watch himself score 3 points a night and lose 4-3.

Why u mad ? Oilers are going well for once, just let Oilers fan enjoy this
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KCarry74
    Why u mad ? Oilers are going well for once, just let Oilers fan enjoy this

I want to them to be an actual contender and mirage success is going to lead management into thinking they are closer than they actually are. This will lead to short sighted trades to bolster a lineup that just isn't good enough and will hurt the franchise in the long run. If that happens how long before McDavid says, "I've had it, I'm out." And then demands a trade? If that happens it's going to gut the franchise and then it's going to be really dark times. I don't want that.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 2:39 p.m.
    I want to them to be an actual contender and mirage success is going to lead management into thinking they are closer than they actually are. This will lead to short sighted trades to bolster a lineup that just isn't good enough and will hurt the franchise in the long run. If that happens how long before McDavid says, "I've had it, I'm out." And then demands a trade? If that happens it's going to gut the franchise and then it's going to be really dark times. I don't want that.

This is better ! Sorry i might have misunderstood you
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 2:39 p.m.

Well in the mean time they are first overall in the NHL. I don’t think it’s close to as bad as you make it seem here.. I don’t think they should trade for Hall in season. Instead maybe make a couple moves to improve the secondary scoring in the bottom 6. But I do think they can take a run at Hall in UFA. Benson, Yamamoto, Marody, McLeod, Bouchard are all pushing for spots next season. So the secondary scoring will improve over the course of the next year.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Eberles_Backcheck
    Well in the mean time they are first overall in the NHL. Go take that negativity somewhere else

Every year several GM's make moves based off unsustainable luck and when they make short sighted moves it has lasting negative effects. I am being pragmatic not negative. Edmonton is getting steamrolled when McDavid is on the bench and it's going to catch up to them. The reality is beyond their top line and Nuge, the team has nothing that will make this team a contender. Match their 2nd, 3rd or 4th lines against any top tier team and in a 7 game series, those lines are going to get ripped to shreds. This team needs more than 1 year of drafting and developing high skill depth player before they'll be even close to an actual contender.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
    Every year several GM's make moves based off unsustainable luck and when they make short sighted moves it has lasting negative effects. I am being pragmatic not negative. Edmonton is getting steamrolled when McDavid is on the bench and it's going to catch up to them. The reality is beyond their top line and Nuge, the team has nothing that will make this team a contender. Match their 2nd, 3rd or 4th lines against any top tier team and in a 7 game series, those lines are going to get ripped to shreds. This team needs more than 1 year of drafting and developing high skill depth player before they'll be even close to an actual contender.

Agreed, edited my original post. This isn’t the year to “go for it”. It’s a year for Holland to see what he has and then make decisions moving forward. If they are patient with the prospects I mentioned above, and can make maybe one significant UFA signing (I’d love to see Hall back), they will be in good shape. I also think they should try to move Larsson either this year or in the summer, as Benning, Bouchard, Bear can fill the right side next year.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Eberles_Backcheck
    Agreed, edited my original post. This isn’t the year to “go for it”. It’s a year for Holland to see what he has and then make decisions moving forward. If they are patient with the prospects I mentioned above, and can make maybe one significant UFA signing (I’d love to see Hall back), they will be in good shape. I also think they should try to move Larsson either this year or in the summer, as Benning, Bouchard, Bear can fill the right side next year.

If I was Holland I would be trying to trade Neal every day. For anything that isn't a cap dump back. Literally anything. He's only scoring because of McDavid and will fall apart soon enough. Overpaying older UFA's is a path to disaster. There are rarely FA's that make a difference. Almost always they are guys getting paid for past success and it hurts the team.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
    WAY too much to give up for a Hall rental.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
    If I was Holland I would be trying to trade Neal every day. For anything that isn't a cap dump back. Literally anything. He's only scoring because of McDavid and will fall apart soon enough. Overpaying older UFA's is a path to disaster. There are rarely FA's that make a difference. Almost always they are guys getting paid for past success and it hurts the team.

Neal doesn't even play with McDavid except on the PP. He has scored 2 goals + 1 assist in 7 games at 5v5 with RNH, that's a 23 goal / 35 point pace. Only 12 players scored more than 23 goals at 5v5 last year, Neal would be tied for 13th with Gaudreau, MacKinnon, Matthews and Tyler Johnson. That's decent company.

So no, Holland shouldn't be throwing him out for nothing right now.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I agree. This is probably their only shot to erase the Lucic/Neal contract from their books. Otherwise it's four more years of a nearly $6 million cap hit that will cripple them in the coming years.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 4:16 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: CD282
    Neal doesn't even play with McDavid except on the PP. He has scored 2 goals + 1 assist in 7 games at 5v5 with RNH, that's a 23 goal / 35 point pace. Only 12 players scored more than 23 goals at 5v5 last year, Neal would be tied for 13th with Gaudreau, MacKinnon, Matthews and Tyler Johnson. That's decent company.

So no, Holland shouldn't be throwing him out for nothing right now.

Its been what 7 games? Neal is much better than Lucic, but still he's an aging vet that just isn't going to get better. I think over a full season, he'll end up with 25 goals and around 40 points. But he's not really anything more than a 3rd liner at this stage of his career. If you can get out from the rest of his contract, which is still terrible, you'd think that would be a priority considering having 5 million of dead cap space is terrible in this day and age.

But fans like to get excited when teams overachieve and then think things are a lot better than they actually are. Look at last night for example. Over 50 shots against and it was the 7th time in 8 games in which Edmonton has been outshot, was far behind in all advanced stats and again McDavid was the difference. McDavid has an off night, which will happen every now and again and Edmonton will almost for sure be shutout. Over the course of an 82 game series, its very unlikely you can make the playoffs when you give up way more shots and scoring chances than you create. Currently Edmonton's 3rd and 4th lines are getting destroy but lucky. Its not going to last.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: tormundgiantsbane
    It's an unpopular opinion, but I agree. This is probably their only shot to erase the Lucic/Neal contract from their books. Otherwise it's four more years of a nearly $6 million cap hit that will cripple them in the coming years.

Totally, and Chiarelli just refused to come to terms with his past mistakes. Holland hasn't done a lot yet so I am not sure what his game plan is. He's had a lot of success in the past but his last 5-6 years in Detroit were really not good.
    dlt_hfu2847whsba liked this.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 4:33 p.m.
    Its been what 7 games? Neal is much better than Lucic, but still he's an aging vet that just isn't going to get better. I think over a full season, he'll end up with 25 goals and around 40 points. But he's not really anything more than a 3rd liner at this stage of his career. If you can get out from the rest of his contract, which is still terrible, you'd think that would be a priority considering having 5 million of dead cap space is terrible in this day and age.

I don't think anyone is going to take the contract right now just because Neal has been hot for a few weeks. I think it'll wait until the season is over and the GM's can see that he's back to scoring at career norms, which is likely. Also, I don't really care if he gets traded or not if there's no plan to use that cap space to get better players - Holland didn't make any meaningful additions (Neal excepted) this past summer and maybe he's planning another quiet offseason next year - which makes your suggested "Neal dump" either useless or a net negative.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 4:41 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: CD282
    I don't think anyone is going to take the contract right now just because Neal has been hot for a few weeks. I think it'll wait until the season is over and the GM's can see that he's back to scoring at career norms, which is likely. Also, I don't really care if he gets traded or not if there's no plan to use that cap space to get better players - Holland didn't make any meaningful additions (Neal excepted) this past summer and maybe he's planning another quiet offseason next year - which makes your suggested "Neal dump" either useless or a net negative.

I look at this franchise and what I see is the need for 3 years of smart drafting and developing players. Don't spend money on over the hill vets who want huge money for what they did in the past, they won't help. The problem with this team is they have terrible depth, terrible defence and subpar goaltending. That doesn't get fixed overnight or on July 1. It gets fixed by moving out assets that won't help you win it all 3-4 years from now for assets that could become meaningful depth pieces later on.

I know you are going to disagree with this because you are exactly the same as what Leaf fans were in the Kessel era, completely delusional about the current state of the franchise. Holland either by design did very little in the off season, or he swung big for some FA help and lost. Oiler fans should hope it was the first option.
    Oct. 17, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
    I look at this franchise and what I see is the need for 3 years of smart drafting and developing players. Don't spend money on over the hill vets who want huge money for what they did in the past, they won't help. The problem with this team is they have terrible depth, terrible defence and subpar goaltending. That doesn't get fixed overnight or on July 1. It gets fixed by moving out assets that won't help you win it all 3-4 years from now for assets that could become meaningful depth pieces later on.

I know you are going to disagree with this because you are exactly the same as what Leaf fans were in the Kessel era, completely delusional about the current state of the franchise. Holland either by design did very little in the off season, or he swung big for some FA help and lost. Oiler fans should hope it was the first option.

The draft/develop thing is underway, the Oilers have the 9th best farm system in the league. Goaltending has been a strength so far this year, we'll see if it lasts with proper game management from Tippett. Also, this franchise is nowhere near the same state as the Kessel-led Leafs - the Oilers have the best under-24 players of any team in the league.

https://theathletic.com/1125088/2019/09/05/pronman-2019-20-nhl-farm-system-rankings/

https://theathletic.com/1220133/2019/09/19/pronman-ranking-nhl-teams-by-their-23-and-under-core-2019-20-edition/

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll