Team: 2019-20 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 19, 2019
Published: Oct. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NYI
  1. Ehlers, Nikolaj
Additional Details:
Winnipeg needs some D (particularily RHD) stat and Wilde will be NHL ready by at the latest next season (in my opinion), and although Kieffer's pre-season showing wasn't the best this pre-season, Kieffer still has great potential to be an Ehlers-like player and is worth swallowing Ladd for LTIR, along with a next year's first to solidify this as a top-heavy trade for Winnipeg.

I wanted to make Winnipeg the winners of this trade for an attempt to actually get rid of Ladd's salary permanently and let the Ehlers-Barzal-Bailey prove all the Isles haters and doubters wrong later on in the season.
WPG
  1. Bellows, Kieffer
  2. Ladd, Andrew
  3. Wilde, Bode
  4. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Giving up Kieffer AND Bode here along with the first just to try and get Ladd's salary permanently off the team, helps with room for Ehlers and makes us more flexible when the Barzal and Pulock extensions are up.

I saw a thread a while ago and didn't know if I could see Ehlers on the Island and I can confidently say now, with him producing and his health seemingly okay, I would absolutely love Ehlers to join us on the Island and his scoring touch on a league-scourge line of Ehlers-Barzal-Bailey. Ehlers, in my opinion, is young enough to be considered a current AND long-term replacement for Kieffer, and our RHD is currently and future-ly (is that a word?) stacked.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,161,666$0$1,252,500$5,338,334

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
Logo of the New York Islanders
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:02 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
yeah so Ladd's contract is pretty much unmovable. If we got Ehlers and traded Ladd it would take 2 seperate moves. For Ehlers I'd say Mayfield, Bellows and a 1st (with a little sweetner coming back) and for Ladd it would probably take Wilde, and another 1st to get rid of, which at that point isn't worth him. We're stuck w his contract until he has at least only 2 years left
MoreOfAnIslesGuy liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:03 a.m.
Isles For Life
I am honestly not entirely sure of the overpay-underpay situation for this trade. If you dont want to get rid of Ladd's salary, you can easily slot out Kieffer and slot in a second and third, or maybe a player like Leddy (who is still capable and another replaceable asset) and keep Ladd on LTIR for the time being.

The cap situation still looks a bit rough but finding a way to get rid of Boychuk and Leddy will ease the burden on our cap a ton. Besides them though we will probably need to get rid of some of the bloat contracts such as Matt Martin (easily replaceable by the more cost-effective Ross Johnston), Cizikas (as much as I love Zeeker and his 20 goals last season, he might need to be replaced for cap reasons. A similar player to his style, with less points of course, would be Zemgus Girgensons, a fan favourite of myself and many others) and Komarov (Fan favourite on the Island and team's father and mentor for players like Barzal and Beauvillier. Would hate to see him go but his contract is a little nasty) should things get tough.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:03 a.m.
Isles For Life
I am honestly not entirely sure of the overpay-underpay situation for this trade. If you dont want to get rid of Ladd's salary, you can easily slot out Kieffer and slot in a second and third, or maybe a player like Leddy (who is still capable and another replaceable asset) and keep Ladd on LTIR for the time being.

The cap situation still looks a bit rough but finding a way to get rid of Boychuk and Leddy will ease the burden on our cap a ton. Besides them though we will probably need to get rid of some of the bloat contracts such as Matt Martin (easily replaceable by the more cost-effective Ross Johnston), Cizikas (as much as I love Zeeker and his 20 goals last season, he might need to be replaced for cap reasons. A similar player to his style, with less points of course, would be Zemgus Girgensons, a fan favourite of myself and many others) and Komarov (Fan favourite on the Island and team's father and mentor for players like Barzal and Beauvillier. Would hate to see him go but his contract is a little nasty) should things get tough.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:04 a.m.
Isles For Life
Sorry for the double post -- connection issues
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:04 a.m.
Isles For Life
Quoting: AndrewLadd
yeah so Ladd's contract is pretty much unmovable. If we got Ehlers and traded Ladd it would take 2 seperate moves. For Ehlers I'd say Mayfield, Bellows and a 1st (with a little sweetner coming back) and for Ladd it would probably take Wilde, and another 1st to get rid of, which at that point isn't worth him. We're stuck w his contract until he has at least only 2 years left

What I thought. Like I said in my other post -

Quoting: MoreOfAnIslesGuy
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:05 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: MoreOfAnIslesGuy
What I thought. Like I said in my other post -

oh i didnt see that other post my b
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:06 a.m.
Isles For Life
oh i didnt see that other post my b

Took me forever to type out - you got here too fast!
AndrewLadd liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:19 a.m.
So Ehlers isn't on the trade block, and he's not going anywhere. But if he is, sorry but this trade is nowhere near good enough. Winnipeg is trying to contend now, why are they trading a top-6 winger with amazing underlying stats who still has room to grow for 2 prospects and a first in 2 years *plus* a complete cap dump.

Of course any player is tradeable but an Ehlers offer needs to include a Top-4 D with term. Winnipeg just got out of a cap crunch, and they're not going to trade the winger with their best contract for some prospects that may or may not turn out and in exchange take on a cap hit that's less than 1 league minimum contract cheaper and completely buyout proof.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:27 a.m.
Isles7

If the islanders wanted to trade for ehlers right now , it would either take pulock straight up or Wilde, mayfield, and a 1st. I’d do the latter.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 8:36 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
There is no way Keiffer Bellows shows Ehlers potential. Ladd's LTIR is meaningless to either team, but a healthy Ladd is a big cap detriment. Plus he does have a NMC.
Jets would want immediate help now...and that doesn't include Wilde and first as the main pieces.
Boychuk, his play 6m for years and his NTC is almost an impossible move.
toque liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 9:04 a.m.
Isles7
Quoting: toque
So Ehlers isn't on the trade block, and he's not going anywhere. But if he is, sorry but this trade is nowhere near good enough. Winnipeg is trying to contend now, why are they trading a top-6 winger with amazing underlying stats who still has room to grow for 2 prospects and a first in 2 years *plus* a complete cap dump.

Of course any player is tradeable but an Ehlers offer needs to include a Top-4 D with term. Winnipeg just got out of a cap crunch, and they're not going to trade the winger with their best contract for some prospects that may or may not turn out and in exchange take on a cap hit that's less than 1 league minimum contract cheaper and completely buyout proof.

I agree this isn’t enough for ehlers, but if the jets want to contend now, they need to add 1 or 2 defenseman. Elite offense, sh*t defense.
toque liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 10:52 a.m.
Quoting: Isles777
I agree this isn’t enough for ehlers, but if the jets want to contend now, they need to add 1 or 2 defenseman. Elite offense, sh*t defense.

Like @MisstheWhalers mentioned in your post. The jets issues on defense run a lot deeper than just who they have playing. We need a new head coach, I really don’t mind Charlie Huddy but he would probably have to go as well. Our system is just failing, we can’t seem to find a solution on the pk, our pp has been average. We’re gonna struggle defensively until we implement a new system. I’d love to have a coach like tocchet or trotz. I could care less whether we played boring defensive hockey or not. I just want the team to win. Trading ehlers for this package, let alone anything but a huge overpayment is just stupid. Jets are not a cup contender and I think Chevy has already accepted that. It’s going to take a quick retool this year to get us back to contention. I see the jets finishing 20-25 in the league this year and I’m okay with that. Would rather see them have a down year than make a stupid trade to try and contend.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: tsyls
Like @MisstheWhalers mentioned in your post. The jets issues on defense run a lot deeper than just who they have playing. We need a new head coach, I really don’t mind Charlie Huddy but he would probably have to go as well. Our system is just failing, we can’t seem to find a solution on the pk, our pp has been average. We’re gonna struggle defensively until we implement a new system. I’d love to have a coach like tocchet or trotz. I could care less whether we played boring defensive hockey or not. I just want the team to win. Trading ehlers for this package, let alone anything but a huge overpayment is just stupid. Jets are not a cup contender and I think Chevy has already accepted that. It’s going to take a quick retool this year to get us back to contention. I see the jets finishing 20-25 in the league this year and I’m okay with that. Would rather see them have a down year than make a stupid trade to try and contend.

Yeah like if you watch the goals the Jets have given up its more often then not due to poor systems then the actual personnel. The other night the Morrissey-Poolman pair were a combined -7 but neither of those guys are considered to be the Jets problems on defense, it's plain as day obvious the issues are way deeper then who's suiting up on the backend.

I'd so much rather waste a season and hopefully watch some growth from the youngsters and am even more hopeful to see some callups from the Moose cause a lot of these B-prospects need to get a taste of NHL action if they're ever going to be NHL players.

If they want to improve the defense with a minor tweak then go for it but please gawd no Roslovic or Ehlers trades Chevy, just say no.
tsyls liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 11:26 a.m.
Isles7

What is wrong with the jets coach? The jets have been a great team the last couple of years .
Oct. 19, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
What is wrong with the jets coach? The jets have been a great team the last couple of years .

If you watched last year we were having a lot of the same issues, defensive breakdowns, weak structure in our own end. It’s just nothing new to me at this point.
Isles777 liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Isles7
If you watched last year we were having a lot of the same issues, defensive breakdowns, weak structure in our own end. It’s just nothing new to me at this point.

Yeah I gotcha - trotz is a great coach, but his lineup decisions frustrate me. Currently we have Tom kuhnhackl on the 1st line and Johnny boychuk in for Noah Dobson .

Sometimes I hope they get slaughtered so it can force his hand to take some of the dead weight out of the lineup
Oct. 19, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

They weren't great last year, .500 since Christmas and the year they went to the Western Conference final it was talent that got them that far not coaching.

Happened the last two seasons in the playoffs that he got outcoached by Gallant and Berube and any objective Jets fan would admit there's a good chance the Jets don't get past Nashville if Rinne doesn't stumble when he does and the Wild series well let's be honest, yes the Jets were the better team on paper BUT the Wild were without Suter from the start, lost Parise towards the end and Dubnyk unraveled at the worst time, had everyone been healthy and Dubnyk stays solid maybe that series goes differently, the Wild did win every game against the Jets in the following regualar season so the argument could be made the Jets had a bit of luck on their side in getting past Minnesota in the first round.

Maurice seems like a good guy but his coaching strategies, systems and lineup decisions just don't work, I think he's reached his expiration date to be honest.
tsyls liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.
Yeah I gotcha - trotz is a great coach, but his lineup decisions frustrate me. Currently we have Tom kuhnhackl on the 1st line and Johnny boychuk in for Noah Dobson .

Sometimes I hope they get slaughtered so it can force his hand to take some of the dead weight out of the lineup

Trust me I know how it feels to have a coach that makes some questionable lineup decisions. At least your coach knows how to properly coach defence lol.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Isles7
Trust me I know how it feels to have a coach that makes some questionable lineup decisions. At least your coach knows how to properly coach defence lol.

True lol - not sure if you watched the game on Thursday, but wahlstrom had the most high danger chances than anyone on the islanders and trotz decides to go from kuhnhackl to clutterbuck (3rd period) on the 1st line. It’s infuriating
tsyls liked this.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
True lol - not sure if you watched the game on Thursday, but wahlstrom had the most high danger chances than anyone on the islanders and trotz decides to go from kuhnhackl to clutterbuck (3rd period) on the 1st line. It’s infuriating

I really like wahlstrom, he’s gonna be a really solid player. I just hope they give him 2nd line minutes. Also Dobson not playing is a joke. He’s a beauty. Yeah that game was meh, very disappointing as a jets fan. I’ve pretty much written this year off.
Oct. 19, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Isles7
I really like wahlstrom, he’s gonna be a really solid player. I just hope they give him 2nd line minutes. Also Dobson not playing is a joke. He’s a beauty. Yeah that game was meh, very disappointing as a jets fan. I’ve pretty much written this year off.

Yeah Dobson not playing drives me nuts lol - I put his advanced metrics on my other post , they are very impressive, although it is a small sample size. Honestly I hope they lose tonight so Dobson gets back in next game.

WPG could do a re-tool and contend next season. Wingers are young and locked up for a while and Scheifele will have 3 years left on his bargain deal. Only thing is wheeler will probably start to decline
Oct. 19, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
Yeah Dobson not playing drives me nuts lol - I put his advanced metrics on my other post , they are very impressive, although it is a small sample size. Honestly I hope they lose tonight so Dobson gets back in next game.

WPG could do a re-tool and contend next season. Wingers are young and locked up for a while and Scheifele will have 3 years left on his bargain deal. Only thing is wheeler will probably start to decline

I don’t see wheeler declining until the 2021-2022 season. He’s just getting better with age and that’s when we’ll most likely see him fall off a bit. I really hope they just retool a bit and then get a nice C prospect in this draft.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll