Forums/Armchair-GM

The Curious Case of Tyson Jost

Created by: coga16
Team: 2019-20 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 20, 2019
Published: Oct. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
He really is the most puzzling piece with this roster going forward. He is a Centre, he plays his best hockey at that position, and messing him around as a Top 6 Winger just doesnt pan out for him in terms of points even though he still plays the same, the progress and the high end hockey IQ.

But with Newhook, Bowers, and Compher signed as a 4 year extension, Jost as the 3C, does that make sense even though hes a damn good player

Not sure what happens with him, extended or traded.
Trades
COL
    Its still tough to figure out is Jost long term or used as a trade bait for a Top 6 forward if the Avs decide they want to go all in at the TDL
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$72,373,928$0$2,682,500$9,126,072
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $5,571,429$5,571,429
    LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,300,000$6,300,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 6
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 4
    $1,975,000$1,975,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,850,000$2,850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,333,333$3,333,333
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,450,000$3,450,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $735,000$735,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
    Banned
    cant see Bowers passing Jost on the depth chart
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
    Quoting: BigOaf69
    cant see Bowers passing Jost on the depth chart

Right now, no, but this is long term thinking. Bowers almost made the team out of camp, and to be honest out played Jost during Pre Season. Bednar loves Bowers and him being groomed to be a PK C is what would win out in the end.

When you have Newhook who will probably be 1 and done in the NCAA, the long jam of natural Cs to play on the 3rd line is starting to get long
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 1:58 p.m.
    CGY
    Sounds like Sam Bennett. 18 goals as a rookie and ever since the Flames have played him at LW C or RW, with so many different line mates and no defined role
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 2:16 p.m.
    Quoting: coga16
    Right now, no, but this is long term thinking. Bowers almost made the team out of camp, and to be honest out played Jost during Pre Season. Bednar loves Bowers and him being groomed to be a PK C is what would win out in the end.

When you have Newhook who will probably be 1 and done in the NCAA, the long jam of natural Cs to play on the 3rd line is starting to get long

Newhook has 1 g 0 a in 4 NCAA games. Why do you think he'll be one and one?

Bowers is being groomed to be a 4c. Let Nieto go and you have Jost/Compher to be both winger/c for your third line as matchups dictate.

Making any decision today based on newhook is silly. This reminds me when an avs fan was saying they should trade Stastny because Hishon was dominating in the OHL
    EzioUchiha liked this.
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 4:07 p.m.
    Quoting: BCAPP

Bowers is being groomed to be a 4c. Let Nieto go and you have Jost/Compher to be both winger/c for your third line as matchups dictate.

Making any decision today based on newhook is silly. This reminds me when an avs fan was saying they should trade Stastny because Hishon was dominating in the OHL

He will be one and done bc Boston isn’t good, his path is pro hockey next season. He gains nothing for his development staying in a rebuilding program and avs will get him signed and to the eagles

Bowers is not being groomed to be a 4c, dude you have no idea what you are taking about

Avs fans never said that about hishon, do you just Make up things randomly?
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
    Quoting: ItWasIn
    Sounds like Sam Bennett. 18 goals as a rookie and ever since the Flames have played him at LW C or RW, with so many different line mates and no defined role

Bednar has come out now and said jost is best as a C and they are keeping him there now. But is him behind Mack and kadri for the next 3 seasons, could he be more and a true 2c some where else or does he benefit from the avs depth in front of him
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 5:48 p.m.
    He will be one and done bc Boston isn’t good, his path is pro hockey next season. He gains nothing for his development staying in a rebuilding program and avs will get him signed and to the eagles

Bowers is not being groomed to be a 4c, dude you have no idea what you are taking about

Avs fans never said that about hishon, do you just Make up things randomly?

You speak for every AVS fan? You can tell me with confidence I didn't have this conversation? It was on Mile High hockey iirc.

All I'm saying is don't count your chickens before they hatch. If Bowers or newhook push Jost out of his spot, trade him then
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 6:27 p.m.
    You speak for every AVS fan? You can tell me with confidence I didn't have this conversation? It was on Mile High hockey iirc.

All I'm saying is don't count your chickens before they hatch. If Bowers or newhook push Jost out of his spot, trade him then

When the vast majority of the Fan base hated the hishon pick as soon as it happened Bc it was a reach in the 1st round...Stastny was the teams 1C. I can say with confidence, from a guy who consumes every piece of Avs content he can get his hands on, and yes from Mile High as well, that no one was hammering on the we can trade Stastny now bc we traded Hishon drum.

Are you just blinding responding or did you actually read what I said...Jost is the most interesting puzzle piece long term for the Organization. You are over looking someone who I mention in the description. JT COMPHER. They have him as a defacto 3C as well, it doesnt matter if Bowers or Newhook push out Jost bc they already have Compher signed for 4 years.

The whole point of my train of thought is what are they going to do with him. hes a natural C and plays his best hockey there, to get the most out of him they have moved Compher who is better at C but can play the Wing, they made their long term commitment to him and then they have the kids coming too. There is a log jam happening by the end of this season.
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 6:37 p.m.
    When the vast majority of the Fan base hated the hishon pick as soon as it happened Bc it was a reach in the 1st round...Stastny was the teams 1C. I can say with confidence, from a guy who consumes every piece of Avs content he can get his hands on, and yes from Mile High as well, that no one was hammering on the we can trade Stastny now bc we traded Hishon drum.

Are you just blinding responding or did you actually read what I said...Jost is the most interesting puzzle piece long term for the Organization. You are over looking someone who I mention in the description. JT COMPHER. They have him as a defacto 3C as well, it doesnt matter if Bowers or Newhook push out Jost bc they already have Compher signed for 4 years.

The whole point of my train of thought is what are they going to do with him. hes a natural C and plays his best hockey there, to get the most out of him they have moved Compher who is better at C but can play the Wing, they made their long term commitment to him and then they have the kids coming too. There is a log jam happening by the end of this season.

I'm not ignoring anything. See my post above re using Compher and Jost on a line together. Similar to Nylander and Matthews. Works well. Protects against injuries too
    Oct. 20, 2019 at 7:11 p.m.

Also I'm ashamed to admit how hard I tried to look for this conversation I had, but I can't find it. I can find me referencing the conversation, haha:

I was just kidding. Avs fans are really high on him. I heard one guy saying he is why they can trade Stastny (I thought it was ridiculous).

I am drinking the Kule-aid!
    Certified Kule lover!

Posted by BCapp on May 23, 2011 | 9:18 PM

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/5/23/2184951/Maple-Leafs-News-May-22-2011#67949154
    Oct. 21, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
    Also I'm ashamed to admit how hard I tried to look for this conversation I had, but I can't find it. I can find me referencing the conversation, haha:

I was just kidding. Avs fans are really high on him. I heard one guy saying he is why they can trade Stastny (I thought it was ridiculous).

I am drinking the Kule-aid!
    Certified Kule lover!

Posted by BCapp on May 23, 2011 | 9:18 PM

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/5/23/2184951/Maple-Leafs-News-May-22-2011#67949154

so you make an outrageous claim based on a convo you had in a leafs thread, with no actual no avs fans making this claim, just your word. For all yuo know this guy (if real) could have been mocking you about Stastny bc this was the time of leaf fans throwing out Bozak and a 2nd for Stastny trade 100 times a day.
    Oct. 21, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.

Jost tore it up in junior and college, hence why he was rushed onto the Avs roster. Hasn't lived up to that potential yet. He is definitely playing great now as 3C, which alleviates a lot of the pressure he's had. The Avs wouldn't have needed to fetch Kadri if Jost's potential had been reached right?
    Bowers is pointless and a -3 in 5 games so far with the Eagles. Not very impressive. I don't agree that the Avs should use Jost as trade bait for an "all-in" trade at the deadline. They are already "all in" in my opinion. Let Bowers play a full season in the AHL, Newhook should take 2 years in college. There's no rush anymore. Kadri has 3 years left on his deal. I don't expect that to be renewed, especially with the "log-jam". Jost should get a 2-3 year bridge deal after this season, based on his performance obviously.

I'm surprised to not have seen any comments from you on my 2 recent AGM's though. Probably a good thing though right?? haha
    BCAPP liked this.
    Oct. 21, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
    so you make an outrageous claim based on a convo you had in a leafs thread, with no actual no avs fans making this claim, just your word. For all yuo know this guy (if real) could have been mocking you about Stastny bc this was the time of leaf fans throwing out Bozak and a 2nd for Stastny trade 100 times a day.

Dude give me some credit. I worked hard to try to find a conversation I had 8 years ago. I admit I couldn't find it but I was able to find second hand evidence I had had the conversation. Is it so hard for you to accept that someone could have had that opinion? It was obviously silly enough that I remember the conversation to this day.

Why are you being so aggressive. I was pleased I could find any evidence of the convo after all this time, even if I couldn't find the original convo itself.

But yes that's all the evidence I have... Lighten up
    avsjunkie11 liked this.
    Oct. 21, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
    Quoting: avsjunkie11
    Jost tore it up in junior and college, hence why he was rushed onto the Avs roster. Hasn't lived up to that potential yet. He is definitely playing great now as 3C, which alleviates a lot of the pressure he's had. The Avs wouldn't have needed to fetch Kadri if Jost's potential had been reached right?
    Bowers is pointless and a -3 in 5 games so far with the Eagles. Not very impressive. I don't agree that the Avs should use Jost as trade bait for an "all-in" trade at the deadline. They are already "all in" in my opinion. Let Bowers play a full season in the AHL, Newhook should take 2 years in college. There's no rush anymore. Kadri has 3 years left on his deal. I don't expect that to be renewed, especially with the "log-jam". Jost should get a 2-3 year bridge deal after this season, based on his performance obviously.

I'm surprised to not have seen any comments from you on my 2 recent AGM's though. Probably a good thing though right?? haha

I am not advocating trading him just right now his long term fit is the most clouded out of the younger guys

Hence the curious case, his spot right and he plays the best at is where the most competition in the org is. Wonder how it all shakes out
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 8:54 a.m.
    I am not advocating trading him just right now his long term fit is the most clouded out of the younger guys

Hence the curious case, his spot right and he plays the best at is where the most competition in the org is. Wonder how it all shakes out

I feel like I've seen you say something along the lines of "proven talent over potential every day" before... Jost is currently in between proven talent and potential right now I'd say. I would argue that any of the Avs center prospects are considered cloudy, more so than Jost because they are just that, prospects.

Long term, I believe the only way Jost gets traded is if this off-season, his agent tried to secure him to a long term deal. Unless he breaks 40-50 pts then maybe it would be something to consider. Hopefully Jost realizes there's potential for him to be burried in the depth charts if he doesn't progress any further. Time will tell.
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 11:41 a.m.
    I feel like I've seen you say something along the lines of "proven talent over potential every day" before... Jost is currently in between proven talent and potential right now I'd say. I would argue that any of the Avs center prospects are considered cloudy, more so than Jost because they are just that, prospects.

Long term, I believe the only way Jost gets traded is if this off-season, his agent tried to secure him to a long term deal. Unless he breaks 40-50 pts then maybe it would be something to consider. Hopefully Jost realizes there's potential for him to be burried in the depth charts if he doesn't progress any further. Time will tell.

I 100% have never said such a thing, the only thing that applies is the logic of there is a risk of Trading for or away Potential
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
    I 100% have never said such a thing, the only thing that applies is the logic of there is a risk of Trading for or away Potential

Oh, thank you Captain Obvious.
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 1:15 p.m.
    Oh, thank you Captain Obvious.

have to be captain obvious if you are trying to claim I have said things such as "proven talent over potential every day"...which is against ever fiber in my being on how I want Sakic and the Avs to do business
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 1:31 p.m.
    have to be captain obvious if you are trying to claim I have said things such as "proven talent over potential every day"...which is against ever fiber in my being on how I want Sakic and the Avs to do business

Forgive me for offending you, lots of people commenting on these AGM's here. Hard to keep track, especially with you.
    Oct. 22, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
    Forgive me for offending you, lots of people commenting on these AGM's here. Hard to keep track, especially with you.

not offended, just seemed like you were giving me a little sass there so confused where that was coming from

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll