M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 25, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Well in fairness to the Islanders, they had a hell of a lot more depth than Edmonton has. I'm also not at all sold on Edmonton's defence. Klefbom is great, Nurse is getting better, Bouchard isn't in the NHL yet but I think he'll also be really good. Bear we'll still have to see, he's been pretty good but its a tad early to anoint him a game changer. What I am thinking you may be trying to say is we should have patience with the Oilers, which is my entire point. They are not a good team yet and what worries me is that Holland is going to jump the gun and start trying to supplement McDavid by buying older players in FA or trading young assets for rentals at the deadline. That will only damage this franchise.

They have some pieces, they just need more of them and if we can learn anything from history, high priced FA's almost never are the answer.

I would stay away from older players with term , whether that’s by trade or FA. But I do think it would be a good idea to target a player like toffoli as a rental. It shows McDavid that they are trying to put him in a position to succeed and it shouldn’t take that much to acquire him. I think a line of draistal-MCD-kassian, Neal-RNH-toffoli can win a round or 2 in the playoffs if the defense remains strong
Oct. 25, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Db_2984
And Toronto's poor start is exposing all of its problems. Poor coaching. AHL-calibre defence . Grossly overpaid, streaky, injury-prone forwards. Mediocre goaltending.

And now we are back to everything being entirely extreme and stupid.

Toronto's poor start isn't exposing anything, And really think about that statement for just a second.

1) Slow start while holding down a playoff spot
2) While scoring more at 5v5 than any other team
3) While trying to assimilate 6 new players into their system

So if this is TO at its worst, what is them playing at their best going to look like?

With that said, I agree Babs isn't a very good coach, he strikes me as someone who's ego is blinding him. Still though, the defence isn't AHL calibre, that's just an asinine statement. The problem is constant systematic breakdowns in their own zone, that are resulting in a lot of super high quality chances. That is far more a coaching issue than a personel issue. Can you honestly say that TO's defence on paper isn't immensely better than Edmonton's? Judging by your response I am sure you'll say that Edmonton's is better, which means this whole response I am writing is a waste of my time but seriously.

Rielly is far and above better than anyone on the Oilers blueline. Muzzin is also better, Barrie is better offensively than all the Oilers blue line. Dermott would make your blueline better, for crying out loud, I am sure everyone would take Ceci over Russell.

Why do I even bother, idiots like you don't come on here to discuss stuff, you just come on here to get hard about your favourite teams and piss off people you don't know on the internet. What a pathetic waste of time, I am out.
Oct. 25, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777
I would stay away from older players with term , whether that’s by trade or FA. But I do think it would be a good idea to target a player like toffoli as a rental. It shows McDavid that they are trying to put him in a position to succeed and it shouldn’t take that much to acquire him. I think a line of draistal-MCD-kassian, Neal-RNH-toffoli can win a round or 2 in the playoffs if the defense remains strong

Well I just don't have faith in the defence, goaltending or the depth to keep this team in the playoff hunt. Its possible, the Pacific is easily the weakest division in the league so getting into the top 3 there won't be as tall a task as it will be in the Atlantic. With that said though, the team has been successful on the backs of McDavid and Draisaitl who are scoring at an unsustainable pace, and are playing way too much minutes, because the team has 2, 4th lines. When things tighten up, Edmonton isn't going to win many games when McDavid is kept off the scoresheet.
Oct. 25, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
Judging by how the bottom 6 has played the past 2 years, they are already at the mean

You do realize that most of the current bottom 6 wasn't in Edmonton for the past 2 years, right?
Db_2984 liked this.
Oct. 25, 2019 at 8:31 p.m.

Toronto's poor start isn't exposing anything, And really think about that statement for just a second.

So if this is TO at its worst, what is them playing at their best going to look like?

With that said, I agree Babs isn't a very good coach, he strikes me as someone who's ego is blinding him. Still though, the defence isn't AHL calibre, that's just an asinine statement. The problem is constant systematic breakdowns in their own zone, that are resulting in a lot of super high quality chances. That is far more a coaching issue than a personel issue. Can you honestly say that TO's defence on paper isn't immensely better than Edmonton's? Judging by your response I am sure you'll say that Edmonton's is better, which means this whole response I am writing is a waste of my time but seriously.

Rielly is far and above better than anyone on the Oilers blueline. Muzzin is also better, Barrie is better offensively than all the Oilers blue line. Dermott would make your blueline better, for crying out loud, I am sure everyone would take Ceci over Russell.

Why do I even bother, idiots like you don't come on here to discuss stuff, you just come on here to get hard about your favourite teams and piss off people you don't know on the internet. What a pathetic waste of time, I am out.

Toronto is below real .500
Oct. 25, 2019 at 8:42 p.m.
So essentially what you are saying is, if everything possible goes perfect, Edmonton is going to continue winning a tonne. And if the goaltending falls back to what it has been for all but 1 month last season, things are going to get dicey. These are the reasons why I have no faith in Edmonton. They are on a hot streak and when it levels out, things are going to turn south in a hurry.

I don't expect Edmonton to finish with 127 points (their current pace), if that's what you're asking. I think the goaltending will be average or slightly above for most of the season as Koskinen's numbers turned downhill when he was overworked, he likely won't be overworked this year unless Smith and Starrett sustain injuries that result in prolonged absences. THe bottom 6 have scored I think 2 goals, but if you look at last year these are guys that CAN score in this league, I think the goals will come, albeit not in great quantities. Last year:

Archibald: 12
Granlund: 12
Sheahan: 9

I don't expect these guys to be at zero all season.

Its why I am harping so much that they need to continue their rebuild. Move out anyone that isn't going to be a long term piece, keep making smart draft picks and hope that the development of younger, faster, skilled players, will help them be an up an coming powerhouse in 3 seasons. The alternative will be short term solutions to extend this heater that will utlimately cost good long term pieces that will cause this club to once again falter.

As far as I can see Holland IS continuing the rebuild, which is why AGM's like this one are so unrealistic. The most important core pieces are locked up long-term and there are a host of kids developing in the minors and elsewhere. Edmonton has the 9th best farm system in the league and is the #1 team for 25-and-under talent, according to Corey Pronman. They will be a good team, and soon. The major pieces are in place, Holland now needs to fill in around them. And patiently develop the prospects, something Holland is known to be good at.

As for the argument that McDavid isn't the type of leader to bail on a team, I just don't buy it. If management wastes 10 years of his career, I think he's going to want out and he'll have a NMC at that time which will massively lower his return and it will destroy the hearts of the fan base. I don't want to see that. Believe it or not, I'm on your side, I just keep my head and can see the forest through the trees.

This is totally off topic and I'm not going to get into a discussion of hypotheticals.

The team has major problems and this hot start is masking them all.

I don't see too many major problems. The bottom-6 is, to me, well below league average, but bottom-6 guys are the easiest ones to acquire - not a major problem. I think you could take the best of the bottom pllayers and make a pretty good 4th line, but the 4th liners are being asked to play 3rd line and the "extras" are playing 4th line. Yes it's a problem, but not a major one. Goaltending isn't a problem at the moment, I don't think its an area of strength but this tandem should be able to provide league-average goaltending this year. Starrett should be ready to back up next year, and there are other good young goalies in the system - Rodrigue is the best junior age Canadian goalie (he's been named the starter for Team Canada at the upcoming WJC) and Konovalov is doing well in KHL as a 21-year-old.

The D is decent, if young, and there is some very high talent brewing in AHL and SHL. The future is here on D, and it's only going to get better when Broberg and Bouchard arrive - Samorukov, too. Forward depth (among prospects) needs enhancing, I could see Holland trading D prospects for F prospects. And of course he's trying to get another F prospect + pick out of Puljujarvi.

The immediate future looks a lot brighter than the immediate past.
Db_2984 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.

Fair point. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that it's no fun to hear negative and condescending remarks about your favourite hockey team, and the Toronto fans/sports media loves to pile on Edmonton at every opportunity. Don't dish it if you cannot take it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll