Forums/Armchair-GM

Ideal Trade Deadline without trading Risto

Created by: BigDog91
Team: 2019-20 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 23, 2019
Published: Oct. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think our defense is playing to well to trade Risto. If we switch Montour for scandella it will create best Dcore in years.

Forward lines have elite players on top three lines.
Trades
BUF
  1. Bonino, Nick
Additional Details:
Need wingers have to many centers
BUF
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Need nhl players
EDM
  1. Vesey, Jimmy ($1,100,000 retained)
Additional Details:
need picks for future and can bring up a prospect to take his place. Without missing a step
BUF
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (STL)
STL
  1. Sobotka, Vladimír ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. 2020 5th round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Need to stockpile pick for the future.
BUF
  1. 2020 4th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Need LHD
MTL
  1. Scandella, Marco ($2,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
We have way to many Dman
BUF
  1. 2020 5th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Need NHL Dman
WPG
  1. Bogosian, Zach ($2,550,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Toffoli, Tyler
Additional Details:
Asplund was second round pick couple years ago and one of the sabres most promising two way centers. Cj Smith is depth forward who can play right now.
LAK
  1. Asplund, Rasmus
  2. Smith, C.J.
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Not sure Toffoli value. Nyqusit went for 2nd and 3rd
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,946,667$0$4,682,500$1,553,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,650,000$3,650,000
RW
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,550,000$1,550,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,325,000$1,325,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,387,500$3,387,500
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
D
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 23, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
Shibbal18
Id rather have Asplund than Toffoli any day
Swagmaster, Skyraider112 and wojme liked this.
Oct. 23, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
Sabres are elite
The way things are going there is no need to make any changes. No need to "stockpile" picks if they are just 3rd rounders, especially when you traded Vesey for no reason.
Swagmaster and wojme liked this.
Oct. 23, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
BigDog91
Quoting: Shibbal18
Id rather have Asplund than Toffoli any day

Asplund is at best a 3rd line center and most likely a larrson or girgensons. Expecting anymore then that is just crazy. Toffoli is a top 6 winger that can help immediately.
GMTD liked this.
Oct. 23, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
BigDog91
Quoting: Skyraider112
The way things are going there is no need to make any changes. No need to "stockpile" picks if they are just 3rd rounders, especially when you traded Vesey for no reason.

Yes the sabres are going to keep this up all season. Lets be realistic here the sabres are not a cup team and goal should be playoffs. Having extra picks is important for any team . Sabres will need players on entry level deals to contribute when we have to pay dahlin and others. This team is a better team then the current team and have extra picks. Win-Win
GMTD liked this.
Oct. 23, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
Shibbal18
Edited Oct. 23, 2019 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: BigDog91
Asplund is at best a 3rd line center and most likely a larrson or girgensons. Expecting anymore then that is just crazy. Toffoli is a top 6 winger that can help immediately.

Toffoli cant skate, he's a top 6 forward on LA not Buffalo. Hes not a 30 goal scorer, he might not even be a 20 goal scorer and on a team like Buffalo he definitely wouldnt be. Youre just looking at his stats and not the player, even then its been years since he broke 50 points. Hes a slower Sheary. Sabres have Sheary, put him in the top 6
Swagmaster liked this.
Oct. 23, 2019 at 5:15 p.m.
He has 1 season over 50 points in his whole careerand you want to give up a pick and a kid on an entry level deal with a bright future to rent him ? I just do not think he is worth what you are proposing. Are we really a team looking for a rental ? I just do not think we are there yet.
Shibbal18, Jdfitz77 and GMTD liked this.
Oct. 23, 2019 at 6:56 p.m.
How about Montour and Rodrigues to Vancouver for Virtanen and Joulevi
Oct. 24, 2019 at 2:36 a.m.
Sorry Dog,
but lots of ideas that are either bad, unlikely, or both imo
Oct. 25, 2019 at 12:13 p.m.
Eichel Tower
@BigDog91 I like your thought process of moving UFA’s for future assets.
Bonino for Sheary is a great idea of moving a LW (a position that Buffalo has depth Skinner, Olofsson, Vesey and even Johansson) for a player who fills a position that needs help Center.
Vesey and Sobotka could return 3rds if Vesey could find some goals by the TDL even more, Sobotka probably only a 4th, but I like your idea.
OK, let me go out on a limb here, if Scandella continues to play as he has, he could bring back a 2nd (he is on pace for 15 goals) and if a team is close to the playoffs and there are not many scoring LHD on the market, who knows what he will bring back. Same with Bogosian if he can demonstrate that he has recovered from his surgery a RHD seems to be valued very high at the TDL.
I commented on Toffoli below and finally, I really hope Ristolainen is only traded for a huge return, he is still playing 24 a game for his 4 coach.

@Shibbal18 I would like to add Toffoli, but I agree that Asplund would fit better in the Sabres future than Toffoli (a replacement for Girgensons or Larsson at half the price). As mentioned he is a UFA and I think Betterall will not be trading picks for short term incremental improvements.

@Skyraider112 You are correct that the team has certainly jelled, but moving UFA’s for future assets (when there may be young replacements in the Juniors or AHL) is a good plan.

@Swagmaster I agree, IMO Thompson or Cozens (or both) may be ready at the TDL. Let’s not trade for Toffoli.

@Sabresforlife I think I would rather have Montour. He was the Sabres best defensemen the 20 games he played with the team last year.

@Jdfitz77 Well some are not great, but the over all the idea of moving UFA’s for future assets is a good plan. IMO the plan above just needs some tweaking. Do you have any thoughts on ways moving out the UFA's and making room for Bogosian, Montour, Thompson and Cozens?
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 27, 2019 at 10:51 p.m.
Edited Oct. 27, 2019 at 11:02 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
@BigDog91 I like your thought process of moving UFA’s for future assets.
Bonino for Sheary is a great idea of moving a LW (a position that Buffalo has depth Skinner, Olofsson, Vesey and even Johansson) for a player who fills a position that needs help Center.
Vesey and Sobotka could return 3rds if Vesey could find some goals by the TDL even more, Sobotka probably only a 4th, but I like your idea.
OK, let me go out on a limb here, if Scandella continues to play as he has, he could bring back a 2nd (he is on pace for 15 goals) and if a team is close to the playoffs and there are not many scoring LHD on the market, who knows what he will bring back. Same with Bogosian if he can demonstrate that he has recovered from his surgery a RHD seems to be valued very high at the TDL.
I commented on Toffoli below and finally, I really hope Ristolainen is only traded for a huge return, he is still playing 24 a game for his 4 coach.

@Shibbal18 I would like to add Toffoli, but I agree that Asplund would fit better in the Sabres future than Toffoli (a replacement for Girgensons or Larsson at half the price). As mentioned he is a UFA and I think Betterall will not be trading picks for short term incremental improvements.

@Skyraider112 You are correct that the team has certainly jelled, but moving UFA’s for future assets (when there may be young replacements in the Juniors or AHL) is a good plan.

@Swagmaster I agree, IMO Thompson or Cozens (or both) may be ready at the TDL. Let’s not trade for Toffoli.

@Sabresforlife I think I would rather have Montour. He was the Sabres best defensemen the 20 games he played with the team last year.

@Jdfitz77 Well some are not great, but the over all the idea of moving UFA’s for future assets is a good plan. IMO the plan above just needs some tweaking. Do you have any thoughts on ways moving out the UFA's and making room for Bogosian, Montour, Thompson and Cozens?

The problem imo with a lot of the teams ppl put together on here is that they lose sight of the overall goal...

And that is to build a team that can be a legit Championship Contender for years

Sure, in one regard trading Sheary for Bonino may make sense for us now (and i stress “maybe” bc I’m not a big Bonino fan at all)... but EXACTLY HOW does that type of trade move us towards our REAL GOAL?

Ppl on here are just impatient, looking for a quick fix
But this team is still a work in progress

Acquiring players with term left on their deals doesn’t make room guys like Cozens, etc
And it takes up slots where we could bring in a potential difference maker with all the Cap Space we will have in the
off-season

And again...
idk how much adding guys that are “decent” really helps us anyways?

Making trades for the sake of trades isn’t moving us in the direction of a Championship contender

And that should be the goal

Don’t need to rush things...
“trust the process”

And to answer your question about what I’d do...
NOTHING right now
We are 8-2-1
If a trade presents itself where we can add a “Core Player” that can help now, AND GOING FORWARD...
that’s when you pull the trigger

For example:
Getting someone like Ehlers from the Jets

But not Bonino, etc etc
Those guys don’t move the needle
Let’s not pretend they’d be difference makers for us
And let’s not spend assets on “rentals” on guys like Toffoli either (who i also don’t think is very good anymore)
GMTD and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 28, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Jdfitz77
The problem imo with a lot of the teams ppl put together on here is that they lose sight of the overall goal...

And that is to build a team that can be a legit Championship Contender for years

Sure, in one regard trading Sheary for Bonino may make sense for us now (and i stress “maybe” bc I’m not a big Bonino fan at all)... but EXACTLY HOW does that type of trade move us towards our REAL GOAL?

Ppl on here are just impatient, looking for a quick fix
But this team is still a work in progress

Acquiring players with term left on their deals doesn’t make room guys like Cozens, etc
And it takes up slots where we could bring in a potential difference maker with all the Cap Space we will have in the
off-season

And again...
idk how much adding guys that are “decent” really helps us anyways?

Making trades for the sake of trades isn’t moving us in the direction of a Championship contender

And that should be the goal

Don’t need to rush things...
“trust the process”

And to answer your question about what I’d do...
NOTHING right now
We are 8-2-1
If a trade presents itself where we can add a “Core Player” that can help now, AND GOING FORWARD...
that’s when you pull the trigger

For example:
Getting someone like Ehlers from the Jets

But not Bonino, etc etc
Those guys don’t move the needle
Let’s not pretend they’d be difference makers for us
And let’s not spend assets on “rentals” on guys like Toffoli either (who i also don’t think is very good anymore)

Very complete answer.
I think we agree. I definitely did not like the Toffoli and I only liked the trades moving UFA's for picks but a center would be more valuable than a LW.
You and I disagree with Bonino, but we appear to agree with making room for young players. Or did I mis read your comment.
Oct. 28, 2019 at 6:01 p.m.
Edited Oct. 28, 2019 at 6:06 p.m.
Very complete answer.
I think we agree. I definitely did not like the Toffoli and I only liked the trades moving UFA's for picks but a center would be more valuable than a LW.
You and I disagree with Bonino, but we appear to agree with making room for young players. Or did I mis read your comment.

I agree with making room for younger players,
But Bonino isn’t all that good (35pt player, meh)
And would conceivable take up Cozens spot at Center next year

But if we were trading for a guy like Ehlers, or even a Center of his quality, then I’d be all for it

It’s been 6 years since Bonino has scored 20goals
He’s not the 2C we are looking for

Johansson > Bonino, Bujugstad, etc etc

If we are making a trade...
let’s get the best player possible regardless of forward position
Bc we are still building a team for the future, not this year

Example:
Skinner-Johansson-Ehlers, looks a lot better to me than...
Skinner-Bonino-Johansson

And then NEXT season...
Skinner-Cozens-Johansson
And then we slot Ehlers with Mittelstadt on line3

That’s how u build a championship contender imo
GMTD and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Jdfitz77
I agree with making room for younger players,
But Bonino isn’t all that good (35pt player, meh)
And would conceivable take up Cozens spot at Center next year

But if we were trading for a guy like Ehlers, or even a Center of his quality, then I’d be all for it

It’s been 6 years since Bonino has scored 20goals
He’s not the 2C we are looking for

Johansson > Bonino, Bujugstad, etc etc

If we are making a trade...
let’s get the best player possible regardless of forward position
Bc we are still building a team for the future, not this year

Example:
Skinner-Johansson-Ehlers, looks a lot better to me than...
Skinner-Bonino-Johansson

And then NEXT season...
Skinner-Cozens-Johansson
And then we slot Ehlers with Mittelstadt on line3

That’s how u build a championship contender imo

I think I said we disagreed with Bonino, so you are correct. I guess adding an extra year of Bonino over Sheary makes that a bad deal.
BTW, I really like Sheary and only looking to add a center in place of him, but you are correct adding Bonino could easily stifle the growth of Cozens and Thompson.
Johansson is an incredibly smart hockey player, I was and even more now shocked that he signed only a 2 year contract with Buffalo. He is worth his entire salary and maybe a bit more.
BTW, what do you think the Sabres would need to offer to land Ehlers.
Lastly, I agree, a championship is built slowly not rushed trying to achieve a playoff team in one year.
Oct. 30, 2019 at 11:38 p.m.
I think I said we disagreed with Bonino, so you are correct. I guess adding an extra year of Bonino over Sheary makes that a bad deal.
BTW, I really like Sheary and only looking to add a center in place of him, but you are correct adding Bonino could easily stifle the growth of Cozens and Thompson.
Johansson is an incredibly smart hockey player, I was and even more now shocked that he signed only a 2 year contract with Buffalo. He is worth his entire salary and maybe a bit more.
BTW, what do you think the Sabres would need to offer to land Ehlers.
Lastly, I agree, a championship is built slowly not rushed trying to achieve a playoff team in one year.

Tough to say
Maybe the Jets just aren’t willing to trade him right now
Bc a Risto for Ehlers deal just screams of making sense for both sides
*unless Botts doesn’t think we have a guy that can play Risto’s tough defensive minutes
In which case... Montour for Ehlers?

I really don’t know what Botts is thinking
But my guess is that he just isn’t getting teams to agree to giving up the guy he wants

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll