SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Nashville Predators signed Roman Josi (8 Years / $9,059,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Random2152
You clearly didn't read what I said either.
My problem with Carlson's contract is the term, not the money (same with Karlsson, Josi, etc).
You really need to stretch to try and assemble some argument here and yet you somehow still **** it up. Now that's talent!

why would his term be an issue if in the 2 years since signing the deal hes done nothing but improve his totals? what are you basing this off of? explain? year one 69 points year 2 70 points year 3 132 point pace? you need to better explain why you have issues bc based off his play nothing is showing signs of him playing worse?
JohnMeston liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Capitalfail67
why would his term be an issue if in the 2 years since signing the deal hes done nothing but improve his totals? what are you basing this off of? explain? year one 69 points year 2 70 points year 3 132 point pace? you need to better explain why you have issues bc based off his play nothing is showing signs of him playing worse?

You aren't seriously saying a 36 year old Carlson will be worth his entire contract are you?!?!
Are you that short sighted?!?! Good lord.
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
torontos finest
You aren't seriously saying a 36 year old Carlson will be worth his entire contract are you?!?!

I think he's just upset you used Carlson as an example of a bad contract.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

at 36 gio just won the Norris ....and his early career stats aren't better than Carlson....short sighted? no im actually smart enough to understand every player is different and that Carlson is elite.... his deal at 8 million by 2023/2024 wount be anything crazy....similar to the Matt nisk deal currently.. but hey stay negative I dont blame you being a leafs fan smile
JohnMeston and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: mondo

That is 100% what it is. They don't want to hear anything that goes against their hopes and dreams. Father time is undefeated and some cant bring themselves to understand that their stars are no exception.
Kind of funny how easy it is to trigger Caps fans isn't it?
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
at 36 gio just won the Norris ....and his early career stats aren't better than Carlson....short sighted? no im actually smart enough to understand every player is different and that Carlson is elite.... his deal at 8 million by 2023/2024 wount be anything crazy....similar to the Matt nisk deal currently.. but hey stay negative I dont blame you being a leafs fan smile

So yes, you think he will be worth it at 36 years old.
Good luck with that
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
torontos finest

Buddy, you could've just said "I don't agree that Carlson will be a bad contract into his 30s" instead of going on a whiny tangent.
Random2152 and Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:44 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Buddy, you could've just said "I don't agree that Carlson will be a bad contract into his 30s" instead of going on a whiny tangent.

He has to go on that tangent because everything else he could say doesn't support his beliefs.
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
I'm surprised that he managed to get over 9M AAV for 8 years with a full NMC. For an organization that has many competitive advantages, I thought they would be able to get a more team-friendly deal. Fully deserved, though, as he way outperformed his last contract.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

he was obviously wrong and has yet to admit it but its fine..... im not mad just like to help people understand when they are wrong. they are examples of talent that ages poorly and talent that ages well its impossible to tell. but Nash is in a win now mode so they are going to sign the talent. it would be dumb to let an elite talent walk over 2 years or 1 million dollars..... lets say the win a cup in the next 5 years. totally worth it
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Once again you show that you fundamentally do not understand averages. The exception does not disprove the rule.

Real question: is there a similar chart available that compares elite players? I'd guess that chart shows how they age differently than one that includes league average and below players.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

I believe I did that and gave a few examples why... but thanks for your input. its seriously helpful. ha
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
He has to go on that tangent because everything else he could say doesn't support his beliefs.

bud you have yet to support your claim? I simply said his numbers are improving going into his 30's you keep saying do you think they'll last? I would have to assume yeah at least for the next 4-5 years? maybe a slight decrease when ovechkin retires? but to blindly suggest his numbers will drop dead at 30 is just stupid.... but again you are going to just repeat the same garbage you always do. spineless statements ha
Oct. 29, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Once again you show that you fundamentally do not understand averages. The exception does not disprove the rule.

Had the same thing typed up was gonna hit submit then I saw your post hidden this other guys spam.
Random2152 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:03 p.m.
torontos finest
I believe I did that and gave a few examples why... but thanks for your input. its seriously helpful. ha

Next time make your point a little more legible and a lot less mad so others take you seriously.
Random2152 and Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: JayTea
Real question: is there a similar chart available that compares elite players? I'd guess that chart shows how they age differently than one that includes league average and below players.

I'm sure there is, but generally it is not something that gets done due to sample size issues. I'm not home right now but I'll try and find something for you. If I had to guess a superstar can usually keep up their peak play until ~30 ish and stave off a drop off until 32 ish
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:17 p.m.
A players peak years END at 26-27 y/o.
A player goes into serious decline around 30.
Josi will be 30 when this 8 year 9.059 contract STARTS.
He is a fantastic dman, of that there is no doubt but expecting him to be worth it past the first couple years is ludicrous. This is a bad deal through and through.

Look at Giordano and Burns, he will be fun for a while
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Look at Giordano and Burns, he will be fun for a while

They are the exception, that doesn't disprove the rule.

Even then burns is not exactly the prototypical player that really helps to prove your point
BuFfaLOFaN and Trickster liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
J.L.
For years he was underpaid and now he got the money he deserved. People who are saying this is bad contract are the same ones who think all contracts under 2million are great. Cheap ****s.
Capitalfail67 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
It may not be pretty, but it was inevitable Josi was getting a deal like this, with that being said, I think it’s fair to call John Carlsons contract a steal and Erik Karlssons to be awful

Girard is a steal so is Carlson, and Morrissey
Pretty much every player right now with contracts 10m+ is a bad co tract except for Eichels and McDavids.
Capitalfail67 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
That is 100% what it is. They don't want to hear anything that goes against their hopes and dreams. Father time is undefeated and some cant bring themselves to understand that their stars are no exception.
Kind of funny how easy it is to trigger Caps fans isn't it?

The evil stat guy I think is taking a fact and making it seem like everyplayer fits into that one mold, except for one thing, it isn't age that ages a player, it's there playing style. A player like Risto will probably be out of good player status at age 32 but one like Dahlin will be closer to 40 because he doesn't play with his body as much as he does with his stick.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
The evil stat guy I think is taking a fact and making it seem like everyplayer fits into that one mold, except for one thing, it isn't age that ages a player, it's there playing style. A player like Risto will probably be out of good player status at age 32 but one like Dahlin will be closer to 40 because he doesn't play with his body as much as he does with his stick.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? You'd be a hero in the stats community.
Playing style certainly does affect it, but age is the primary factor.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Next time make your point a little more legible and a lot less mad so others take you seriously.

who are you? is this randoms burner account? bc outside that why do you care about my conversation with him? hes also liking all your comments? next time just use one account. its embarrassing you need 2 accounts to bail yourself out of a terrible take on a player

ill make a graph for you next time. to show why hes not in decline haha
mondo liked this.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:27 p.m.
I'm sure there is, but generally it is not something that gets done due to sample size issues. I'm not home right now but I'll try and find something for you. If I had to guess a superstar can usually keep up their peak play until ~30 ish and stave off a drop off until 32 ish

Dont get me wrong I agree with this fact but the thing is I guess it depends on playing style, look at the guys who have played till they are 38+ now, they are all smooth, silky players, with great hands, and are very smart. Ehem...Josi. Kinda like Thornton and Marleau, or Giordano.
Oct. 29, 2019 at 4:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: JonJon
For years he was underpaid and now he got the money he deserved. People who are saying this is bad contract are the same ones who think all contracts under 2million are great. Cheap ****s.

Im not saying Josi doesn't deserve the money. He was pretty underpaid for what he brought to the game, that doesn't mean this contract isn't for FAR too long.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit