SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Why Doesn't WPG Just Put Byfuglien on LTIR? Or Can't They?

Nov. 1, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Especially now that he's officially injured, or does that even matter? Are the Jets really gonna just waste the season when they have so many skill players? What are the options here?
Nov. 1, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Especially now that he's officially injured, or does that even matter? Are the Jets really gonna just waste the season when they have so many skill players? What are the options here?

He retired, so they cant ltir him because he retired. his contract doesnt exist. but if he chose to come back... he would count against their books. Its an odd situation. I think they could officially move him to LTIR if this surgery is directly related to hockey injuries as well as another factor in if the team ends up paying for the surgery to be done then they could 100% put him on ltir. I think both things need to happen for him to be IR eligible. they have the cap space to go get someone but his contract similar to gronkowski's in football is just taken off the books until he shows up. they still hold his rights and when he shows up the contract would kick in again. until something between him and the team happens they cant do anything with his contract.
Brian2016 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Nov. 1, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
He retired, so they cant ltir him because he retired. his contract doesnt exist. but if he chose to come back... he would count against their books. Its an odd situation. I think they could officially move him to LTIR if this surgery is directly related to hockey injuries as well as another factor in if the team ends up paying for the surgery to be done then they could 100% put him on ltir. I think both things need to happen for him to be IR eligible. they have the cap space to go get someone but his contract similar to gronkowski's in football is just taken off the books until he shows up. they still hold his rights and when he shows up the contract would kick in again. until something between him and the team happens they cant do anything with his contract.

I guess this could get complicated if they signed or traded for another Defenseman and then he decided to return in a few months. Buff really did them dirty assuming he concealed this plan from the team, right? I mean, they could've signed Trouba or Myers or maybe a UFA on July 1st. Now they're wasting the best years of Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Laine, and Ehlers and the last few good years of Wheeler. Ouch!
Nov. 1, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I guess this could get complicated if they signed or traded for another Defenseman and then he decided to return in a few months. Buff really did them dirty assuming he concealed this plan from the team, right? I mean, they could've signed Trouba or Myers or maybe a UFA on July 1st. Now they're wasting the best years of Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Laine, and Ehlers and the last few good years of Wheeler. Ouch!

Thats why they cant use the cap thats allocated to his contract right now because they want him back and are trying to entice him to come back. They werent signing trouba I believe trouba was only going to areas with top hospitals for his fiance/wife (ny, boston, LA, etc.) he wasnt signing a deal in any other city. but they could have retained myers which would help them a ton right now.
Nov. 1, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Below Market Value

He didn't retire, he's suspended.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 1, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
He didn't retire, he's suspended.

team suspended him because he didnt show up and essentially retired lol.
Nov. 1, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
team suspended him because he didnt show up and essentially retired lol.

I think the result is the same...at least for now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll