C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 6, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
What the heck?
Nov. 6, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So the Leafs give up two NHLers for get just one in return. Plus the Leafs give up the better picks. How is this good for the Leafs?
Nov. 6, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
Biased Opinion
You know it's bad when you have to remind yourself who Connor Murphy is
Nov. 6, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
Banned
I bet this will go one of two ways.

A bunch of Chicago homers saying upgrade that to a first or Nylander.

And a bunch of Leaf fans saying, no thank you, we'll give you Petan and you can have Ceci and we'll call it a day.

The reality is, TO wouldn't be very interested because 1) they don't have any cap space 2) they will absolutely value Kapanen far more than Murphy 3) Ceci seems to be a Babs favorite which sucks.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 3:54 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Nov. 6, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I bet this will go one of two ways.

A bunch of Chicago homers saying upgrade that to a first or Nylander.

And a bunch of Leaf fans saying, no thank you, we'll give you Petan and you can have Ceci and we'll call it a day.

The reality is, TO wouldn't be very interested because 1) they don't have any cap space 2) they will absolutely value Kapanen far more than Murphy 3) Ceci seems to be a Babs favorite which sucks.

Hawks fan here. This trade is not good for TOR. CHI jumps at it. I like Murphy a lot too. I do think he can help TOR, but KK is also really good. I'd prefer to keep Kasperi Kap vs Nylander actually. Hawks are tight against the cap ceiling next year and can't fit Nylander's $7M contact.

What if there was more Grit inserted into this trade? Kasperi Kap, Ceci, some kind of pick for Murphy, Drake, Maatta?
Nov. 6, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
Hawks fan here. This trade is not good for TOR. CHI jumps at it. I like Murphy a lot too. I do think he can help TOR, but KK is also really good. I'd prefer to keep Kasperi Kap vs Nylander actually. Hawks are tight against the cap ceiling next year and can't fit Nylander's $7M contact.

What if there was more Grit inserted into this trade? Kasperi Kap, Ceci, some kind of pick for Murphy, Drake, Maatta?

Personally I just don't put any stock in any defenceman from Chicago. I also don't buy that TO "NEEDS" a defenceman. I think they need a better coach and a better team defensive play. Last night was a game where TO was patient and waited for their chances and then capitalized, its how they should play. Much like Pittsburgh when they won their two cups. Out skate the other team, hound the puck and wait for your chances. They have more than enough talent to make that style work but I am not sure that is what Babcock wants.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769

No need to add a pick just so the Hawks take Ceci, I do like your thought train though, I also like Murphy he should in theory pair well With Rielly
Nov. 6, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Personally I just don't put any stock in any defenceman from Chicago. I also don't buy that TO "NEEDS" a defenceman. I think they need a better coach and a better team defensive play. Last night was a game where TO was patient and waited for their chances and then capitalized, its how they should play. Much like Pittsburgh when they won their two cups. Out skate the other team, hound the puck and wait for your chances. They have more than enough talent to make that style work but I am not sure that is what Babcock wants.

A WPG fan posted awhile ago asking about the cost of Connor Murphy. I told them that Connor Murphy is so important to our defense that a team would have to overpay to get him. I told them at minimum a 1st and a B+ forward prospect. All things being considered A second plus Kap seems like a fair trade.

Note:Chicago’s defense would be screwed this season without Murphy, as demonstrated by the real life hawks, so while I say this trade is fair value I will go ahead and say that I wouldn’t be excited for it.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
A WPG fan posted awhile ago asking about the cost of Connor Murphy. I told them that Connor Murphy is so important to our defense that a team would have to overpay to get him. I told them at minimum a 1st and a B+ forward prospect. All things being considered A second plus Kap seems like a fair trade.

Note:Chicago’s defense would be screwed this season without Murphy, as demonstrated by the real life hawks, so while I say this trade is fair value I will go ahead and say that I wouldn’t be excited for it.

The Hawks defence is already screwed though. Murphy is a bottom pair defenceman on a good team. And if he's your best, that say far more about your defence than Murphy. This is like an Oiler fan talking about how great Kassian is. He just isn't but because he plays on the top line, fans think he must be a top line player when in realty there is just no one better to put up there.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 5:50 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
The Hawks defence is already screwed though. Murphy is a bottom pair defenceman on a good team. And if he's your best, that say far more about your defence than Murphy. This is like an Oiler fan talking about how great Kassian is. He just isn't but because he plays on the top line, fans think he must be a top line player when in realty there is just no one better to put up there.

Murphy is not a bottom pair d-man on most NHL teams, and he is certainly not a bottom pair on the leafs. I already know that no amount of reason could persuade you into thinking otherwise so I’ll leave it at that.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.
Murphy is not a bottom pair d-man on most NHL teams, and he is certainly not a bottom pair on the leafs. I already know that no amount of reason could persuade you into thinking otherwise so I’ll leave it at that.

Murphy is a perfectly fine stay at home plays 20 mins a night, makes the safe play D man that would absolutely be an improvement on the Leafs on the top pair
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: Boomer125
Murphy is a perfectly fine stay at home plays 20 mins a night, makes the safe play D man that would absolutely be an improvement on the Leafs on the top pair

Yeah, I’ve maintained, for awhile now, the opinion that Murphy is exactly what a team like the leafs would need. Not a flashy player, the leafs have enough of those, he is the kind of guy you need on a cup winning team.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 6:37 p.m.
mokumboi
Holy hell, these are bad.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Banned

He wouldn't be bottom pair in TO I agree. He'd take Ceci's spot and still not be good enough to be a top pair guy but Babs would make him one anyways. I don't think Murphy sucks, I just don't think he's anything special and certainly not worth half of what you guys keep trying to throw out there. He isn't worth a top 6 forward and a 1st rounder. He's worth maybe a 1st for a really desperate team. But I doubt he will get you that much. As far as the notion that teams will have to overpay because a certain player is important to a team is a joke. Players are worth what they are worth and anyone who pays more is desperate.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 7:16 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
He wouldn't be bottom pair in TO I agree. He'd take Ceci's spot and still not be good enough to be a top pair guy but Babs would make him one anyways. I don't think Murphy sucks, I just don't think he's anything special and certainly not worth half of what you guys keep trying to throw out there. He isn't worth a top 6 forward and a 1st rounder. He's worth maybe a 1st for a really desperate team. But I doubt he will get you that much. As far as the notion that teams will have to overpay because a certain player is important to a team is a joke. Players are worth what they are worth and anyone who pays more is desperate.

For the record, you are the only person who ever said a top 6 forward plus a first-rounder.

Also, im confused about what you mean when you say "As far as the notion that teams will have to overpay because a certain player is important to a team is a joke. Players are worth what they are worth and anyone who pays more is desperate."

That perspective does not make any sense to me, In this scenario, I would be inclined to believe that a team would have to overpay to get Murphy because

1. Murphy was playing exceptionally well prior to his injury, and his advanced stats support that claim.
2. Murphy is an RHD DFD, which the Blackhawks dont have many of on the NHL roster, or in the system. If Toronto were to be interested in Murphy, a positional need in Toronto (like Chicago), it would seem to me that they would have to overpay to get Chicago to give up that type of asset.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 10:05 p.m.
Banned
For the record, you are the only person who ever said a top 6 forward plus a first-rounder.

Also, im confused about what you mean when you say "As far as the notion that teams will have to overpay because a certain player is important to a team is a joke. Players are worth what they are worth and anyone who pays more is desperate."

That perspective does not make any sense to me, In this scenario, I would be inclined to believe that a team would have to overpay to get Murphy because

1. Murphy was playing exceptionally well prior to his injury, and his advanced stats support that claim.
2. Murphy is an RHD DFD, which the Blackhawks dont have many of on the NHL roster, or in the system. If Toronto were to be interested in Murphy, a positional need in Toronto (like Chicago), it would seem to me that they would have to overpay to get Chicago to give up that type of asset.

Well Dubas just won't overpay so, it's not going to happen it's not worth paying a premium for an average player. Also TO doesn't have a positional need on defence, they need better team defence as a whole but fans don't understand that.
Nov. 6, 2019 at 10:09 p.m.

Who's this other Top 4 RHD that Babs could employ on this Leafs roster that Murphury or for that matter CeCi is not the best option to play
Nov. 7, 2019 at 7:34 a.m.
Banned
Who's this other Top 4 RHD that Babs could employ on this Leafs roster that Murphury or for that matter CeCi is not the best option to play

Dermott in my opinion.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.

I view him and Mayfield in a similar fashion. Both are #4 d who can play up the lineup if need be but not for an extended period of time. I would prefer to pay a more and go after Mayfield instead as his contract is more valuable/attractive.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I view him and Mayfield in a similar fashion. Both are #4 d who can play up the lineup if need be but not for an extended period of time. I would prefer to pay a more and go after Mayfield instead as his contract is more valuable/attractive.

But neither are premium players. This is all just media driven nonsense and fan angst. Mayfield doesn't push the needle. He prevents it from going south but he doesn't push it north. Murphy is the same thing. A good player but nothing special and definitely isn't much of a difference maker. Moving good assets for someone who doesn't really push the needle isn't worth it.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 4:54 p.m.
Dermott in my opinion.

I agree he would be better or the best option we have, however, I wouldn't pair him with Rielly as I don't think it would be fair to him. He would be facing tougher competition every night plus be tasked with covering up for Rielly's defensive miscues which I personally think would be too much for him at this point in his career. I would prefer a vet who can play sound D and skate.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
But neither are premium players. This is all just media driven nonsense and fan angst. Mayfield doesn't push the needle. He prevents it from going south but he doesn't push it north. Murphy is the same thing. A good player but nothing special and definitely isn't much of a difference maker. Moving good assets for someone who doesn't really push the needle isn't worth it.

Sure it can be worth it... All depending on what you pay for them. Mayfield would be a good add mostly for his contract and the fact that he's good defensively.

I do agree though that Babcock needs to go as it's his system the players play or at least he's responsible for the system/style they play.

The only way I would make a trade this year is

A) if we're selling (hopefully)
B) we get a top pair d to put with Rielly who has term or.....
C) we can get a player like Mayfield at a reasonable price.

Not every player can be a difference maker but sometimes it's the players you dont except to be difference makers who turn out to be just that.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
Banned
I agree he would be better or the best option we have, however, I wouldn't pair him with Rielly as I don't think it would be fair to him. He would be facing tougher competition every night plus be tasked with covering up for Rielly's defensive miscues which I personally think would be too much for him at this point in his career. I would prefer a vet who can play sound D and skate.

If you look through Dermot's career, he's been his best when paired with a gifted offensive player who takes risks. I think playing with Rielly would be great for him. He just needs to be smart and steady which I think he's the best option available.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
Banned
Sure it can be worth it... All depending on what you pay for them. Mayfield would be a good add mostly for his contract and the fact that he's good defensively.

I do agree though that Babcock needs to go as it's his system the players play or at least he's responsible for the system/style they play.

The only way I would make a trade this year is

A) if we're selling (hopefully)
B) we get a top pair d to put with Rielly who has term or.....
C) we can get a player like Mayfield at a reasonable price.

Not every player can be a difference maker but sometimes it's the players you dont except to be difference makers who turn out to be just that.

Selling? Come on dude, don't be one of those doom and gloom guys. This team will be judged on how deep they go in the playoffs. I actually think the LA game was important as the Leafs played a very strong patient game. They gave LA pretty much nothing offensively (I know not a huge feat) and then waited for their chances and when they happened they capitalized. I want them to hound the puck a little more but this is the blueprint for them.
Nov. 7, 2019 at 5:32 p.m.
If you look through Dermot's career, he's been his best when paired with a gifted offensive player who takes risks. I think playing with Rielly would be great for him. He just needs to be smart and steady which I think he's the best option available.

I get what you're saying but this is the NHL the talent/skill level/level of compete is much higher and harder. I just think on top of that plus covering up for Rielly + the increased ice time might be too much for him and overwhelm him which could hurt his progression. Sure he's the best option we currently have but Dubas needs to invest more into the D.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll