Forums/Armchair-GM

LEAFS ACQUIRE HALL TO MAKE A RUN

Created by: TMLSage
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 8, 2019
Published: Nov. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Leafs acquire Taylor Hall to make a run at cup and Devils unload before he becomes UFA.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$79,041,310$0$70,000$2,458,690
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:18 a.m.
Banned
This would be the stupidest thing the leafs could do? They need to chase a top defender and a solid backuo goalie.
Swagmaster liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:22 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Sebybbq
This would be the stupidest thing the leafs could do? They need to chase a top defender and a solid backuo goalie.

Who needs goalies or defence when you can just shoot for double digits every game....
palhal and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:26 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
Who needs goalies or defence when you can just shoot for double digits every game....

Cup contender thats the answer. I try to found the article but in the past 40 years the cup winners where all except 2 time in the top 10 for goal allowed in the season. So keep scoring 5-6 goal a game if you aren’t able to play a 1-0 game you won’t last long in the playoff
Brian2016 and rja40 liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:29 a.m.
GM - Canucks

i think the Leafs are finally starting to understand that you need to play team defence and reduce goals against to win in the NHL. I agree with your comment that they could use a top defender and upgrade on backup goalie but a top defender may cost them Nylander to obtain. I actually think they also need to upgrade the size of some of their forwards and thought Hall would add some size and grit over Jonsson. Also thought he would be excited to get out of New Jersey and be back playing for a Cup on a very powerful line with Matthews and Nylander.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:33 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Cup contender thats the answer. I try to found the article but in the past 40 years the cup winners where all except 2 time in the top 10 for goal allowed in the season. So keep scoring 5-6 goal a game if you aren’t able to play a 1-0 game you won’t last long in the playoff

It was sarcasm... hence the italics...
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: TMLSage
i think the Leafs are finally starting to understand that you need to play team defence and reduce goals against to win in the NHL. I agree with your comment that they could use a top defender and upgrade on backup goalie but a top defender may cost them Nylander to obtain. I actually think they also need to upgrade the size of some of their forwards and thought Hall would add some size and grit over Jonsson. Also thought he would be excited to get out of New Jersey and be back playing for a Cup on a very powerful line with Matthews and Nylander.

They could use some energie player on that 4 line. The lost of kadri on the third line was major too. Kerfootnhave great speed but he doesn’t have the poise that kadri play with. That miss the leafs i would rather see a guy with less talent but who play physical. If they face the bruins again in playoff they will need to be thougher to play against.
TMLSage liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.

I think the Leafs should target a RHD who can play a lock-down role. Maybe Alec Martinez or TJ Brodie or Travis Hamonic. Obviously, the number of pending UFA, or affordable, RHD's are few and far between. But, the Leafs do have assets, especially up front.
Pharow and TMLSage liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:49 a.m.
Devils missed out on Barrie when he was traded to the Leafs. He's a pending UFA and he's gonna get paid. I don't see them targeting him now that they have Subban. They need to spend their capital on a top pair LHD...if possible. But I do think Shero will target a roster player in the Hall trade. The fanbase will probably not be satisfied w/ just a return of futures.
TMLSage liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:50 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Brian2016
I think the Leafs should target a RHD who can play a lock-down role. Maybe Alec Martinez or TJ Brodie or Travis Hamonic. Obviously, the number of pending UFA, or affordable, RHD's are few and far between. But, the Leafs do have assets, especially up front.

How did Brodie make that short list? I wouldn’t rank him in the top 50...
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 1:51 a.m.
GM - Canucks
They could use some energie player on that 4 line. The lost of kadri on the third line was major too. Kerfootnhave great speed but he doesn’t have the poise that kadri play with. That miss the leafs i would rather see a guy with less talent but who play physical. If they face the bruins again in playoff they will need to be thougher to play against.

I totally agree as they have a number of undersized forwards who do not play with the edge required during the playoffs. I was hoping Marchmant was going to make team if not injured to bring a physical presence to fourth line. Sounds like Korshkov is looking good and would also add some size upfront.
Pharow liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 2:07 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
How did Brodie make that short list? I wouldn’t rank him in the top 50...

Just based on who could be available that fit the criteria. I think the Leafs actually targeted him over the summer, but Kadri nixed the trade with Calgary. As good as Tyson Barrie is offensively, he just doesn't fit with this team.
TMLSage liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 7:22 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Hurts the Leafs fragile cap. Minus a player (Barrie) at the Leafs greatest need. Really doesn't help the Leafs at all this year. Cup run? The Leafs talent wise and on the ice are worse then they were last year. Let's settle for a playoff run.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 7:22 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Perfect, let’s make the atrocious defense even worse. That’s sure to work.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 7:32 a.m.
arky
So a Free agent at years end, who probably does not resign, a forward who at best plays hopefully on the 2nd line and a another forward who has potential but has not proven anything in the NHL. I understand Hall is a FA but I see other teams giving up more for Hall.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 7:55 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Honestly if that's all it costs go for it. Would need another move to shore up D though
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:04 a.m.
... They need to chase a top defender and a solid backuo goalie.

In that case, the Pens offer you J.Johnson and Jarry for Kerfoot

cool
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:26 a.m.
Banned

It's funny to still see so many people say stuff like TO needs size and more defenceman. If you dig deep into this team, or not very deep at all. You'll see that 1) they are way better at defending than they were last year 2) they are the 4th heaviest team on average in the league and 3) if you take out the 2nd game in the back to backs and the game against Tampa they lost 7-3, TO is actually not allowing alot of goals. Even in the back to backs I think some of that was bad luck and some of it is just taking too many penalties. Both I think will get better.

So in the sense of this trade, it does weaken the defence a bit with the loss of Barrie but the team would likely be better since Hall is a beast. I am not in favour of it because I think the team as it is is already deadly and is going to earn praise over the next 10 games.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:34 a.m.
Banned

You do realize they have allowed 5 goals in there last 3 games right? I think you and most other non Leaf fans, (and a lot of Leaf fans for that matter) just listen to the talking heads and don't seem to realize that on average TO has been significantly better at defending. They do hit a fair amount and they are the 4th biggest team in the league. The problems the Leafs have had this season are 1) they needed time to mesh to become a cohesive unit defensively which they have shown they are figuring out over the past couple of games. 2) their PP hasn't been the best but with the talent they have they'll turn that around 3) losing in the 2nd half of back to backs (4 losses, although only one was against a team that wasn't rested) 4) the PK hasn't been good but was better against a great Vegas Squad last night.

So the reality is, the team hasn't played up to their potential yet and that is fine, I'd much rather they get the kinks out now than in the playoffs. And yes this is a playoff team and anyone who says otherwise is just bitter.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
Banned

Being tougher to play against doesn't mean you have to have tough goons on the team, you need guys that hound the puck, aren't afraid to get hit and just make it hard to do anything. This roster can and is starting to do that, smothering you with speed and good positioning and so much skill that all they need to do is wait for the chance to come and then bury it. That's what they did against LA and for the most part against Vegas last night. If they keep it up its going to be a scary team to face.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:48 a.m.
Banned
I totally agree as they have a number of undersized forwards who do not play with the edge required during the playoffs. I was hoping Marchmant was going to make team if not injured to bring a physical presence to fourth line. Sounds like Korshkov is looking good and would also add some size upfront.

If you take a look at the number of small players compared to other teams, the Leafs are actually bigger than most teams 4th heaviest. Take a look at their height and weight they only have I think 4 or 5 forwards under 6 feet. They really aren't that small.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:53 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Brian2016
Just based on who could be available that fit the criteria. I think the Leafs actually targeted him over the summer, but Kadri nixed the trade with Calgary. As good as Tyson Barrie is offensively, he just doesn't fit with this team.

I bet Barrie will figure it out. Give him a bit more time, he certainly isn't going to get a pile of money unless he does.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 8:59 a.m.
Banned
You are forgetting the most important part. They don't have the cap space for this!
Nov. 8, 2019 at 10:49 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Being tougher to play against doesn't mean you have to have tough goons on the team, you need guys that hound the puck, aren't afraid to get hit and just make it hard to do anything. This roster can and is starting to do that, smothering you with speed and good positioning and so much skill that all they need to do is wait for the chance to come and then bury it. That's what they did against LA and for the most part against Vegas last night. If they keep it up its going to be a scary team to face.

Damn leafs fan have bipolar disorder. Last week this team was to soft, they where awful bla bla bla. And now you have the perfect roster and you know how too beat everyteam.

Who talk about goon? I never mentioned that the leafs needed goon. They need more poise, players who hate to loose. If you want to beet the bruins this year you will need those players. Spezza is a soft skilled players who hasn’t won ****, william nylander have tendances to disappear when the game get thougher. Kerfoot have speed but haven’t had that thoughness that kadri had. You can keep thinking that the leafs is ok but two straight win ( one over L.A and one over a vegas team thats struggle on the road) isnt a gage of success.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Banned
Damn leafs fan have bipolar disorder. Last week this team was to soft, they where awful bla bla bla. And now you have the perfect roster and you know how too beat everyteam.

Who talk about goon? I never mentioned that the leafs needed goon. They need more poise, players who hate to loose. If you want to beet the bruins this year you will need those players. Spezza is a soft skilled players who hasn’t won ****, william nylander have tendances to disappear when the game get thougher. Kerfoot have speed but haven’t had that thoughness that kadri had. You can keep thinking that the leafs is ok but two straight win ( one over L.A and one over a vegas team thats struggle on the road) isnt a gage of success.

I agree two wins in a row isn't anything to talk about. What is worth talking about is they are defending much better. They are not a small team like many including yourself like to say. My point is, this team is underperforming and there are some reasons for it but if an underperforming team is still in the running for home ice advantage, what will they look like once they sort out the issues that are causing problems?
Which right now is almost strictly just the special teams.

As for the Bipolar statement, I agree completely half of the people on here switch their tune on a game to game basis. I on the other hand have been consistent, I am not a fan of Babs but the team is fine. They just need to mesh and then we can see what they are. When they start operating at peak form, where are they going to be? With the talent they have, it will be near the top of the league standings.
Pharow liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I agree two wins in a row isn't anything to talk about. What is worth talking about is they are defending much better. They are not a small team like many including yourself like to say. My point is, this team is underperforming and there are some reasons for it but if an underperforming team is still in the running for home ice advantage, what will they look like once they sort out the issues that are causing problems?
Which right now is almost strictly just the special teams.

As for the Bipolar statement, I agree completely half of the people on here switch their tune on a game to game basis. I on the other hand have been consistent, I am not a fan of Babs but the team is fine. They just need to mesh and then we can see what they are. When they start operating at peak form, where are they going to be? With the talent they have, it will be near the top of the league standings.

I was not referring to size but the way players play’s. Brad marchent is 5’10’’and play bigger. Brendan gallagher is the best example, he is 5’9’’ and don’t often loose battle. This is what the leafs need more. Trevor moore brings that kind of hockey but toronto lack those kind of players. A guys like nick cousins, aston reese, hawralyuk, cizikas ... play thougher mean dirty area, william nylander is a nice player but he play peripheral game. Marner play the same kind of hockey. Bringing hard nose worker is somethibg the leafs must explore. Tampa bay was kind of build like the leafs with skill all over the offense but they where bang by columbus with hard nose gritty poise players. Same for the leafs against the bruins.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll