Forums/Armchair-GM

Fixing some bad trades

Created by: GenXHockey
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 1, 2019
Published: Nov. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not my targets, I just fixed them to balance the value a bit better.
Trades
MIN
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. Ceci, Cody
  3. Kapanen, Kasperi
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
This is as much as I would be willing to fix this trade. Unfortunately spurgeons contract is a bit too much and too long.
NYR
  1. Barrie, Tyson
Additional Details:
Barrie can be flipped at TDL for a decent return as I doubt they would re sign him.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,109,643$0$70,000$2,390,357
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 8, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
Banned
To be honest, the only RHD that I would welcome on the team is Liljegren and only if they traded Ceci where ever and also brought in one of Hamonic or Tanev to play with Rielly. Deangelo isn't needed. He is pretty good offensively but he's really not good defensively. Liljegren is going to be better than him. Either Keep Ceci or have a replacement for him. Spurgeon's contract make him not worth targeting.
GenXHockey liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: LoganOllivier
To be honest, the only RHD that I would welcome on the team is Liljegren and only if they traded Ceci where ever and also brought in one of Hamonic or Tanev to play with Rielly. Deangelo isn't needed. He is pretty good offensively but he's really not good defensively. Liljegren is going to be better than him. Either Keep Ceci or have a replacement for him. Spurgeon's contract make him not worth targeting.

I agree, just fixing some trades from an earlier post.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:29 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Neither of your proposals, regardless of the actual details of the deal, fix the issue the Leafs have and that is a big game defender that can defend other team's best players and give you more than 22 minutes a night. Spurgeon is a good D, but he does not usually facest the toughest assignments for the Wild and he's certainly more offensive than he is defensive. DeAngelo is considerably more unproven, and although the Leafs get some additional control out of the deal, I am not convinced yet that he is even a permanent top-4 guy. At some point, the Leafs will have to find the equivalent of what Marc Methot was to Erik Karlsson a few years back when that duo basically did it all. As per @LoganOllivier, Liljegren should really be the only RHD roster upgrade the Leafs make this season. That is, unless they can find that top defender all teams are after, but are never available. If the Wild or NJ decide to blow things up, I could see the Leafs being interested in Matt Dumba and Damon Severson, respectively, though the cost for each, and especially Dumba, may be too much.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MG1986
Neither of your proposals, regardless of the actual details of the deal, fix the issue the Leafs have and that is a big game defender that can defend other team's best players and give you more than 22 minutes a night. Spurgeon is a good D, but he does not usually facest the toughest assignments for the Wild and he's certainly more offensive than he is defensive. DeAngelo is considerably more unproven, and although the Leafs get some additional control out of the deal, I am not convinced yet that he is even a permanent top-4 guy. At some point, the Leafs will have to find the equivalent of what Marc Methot was to Erik Karlsson a few years back when that duo basically did it all. As per @LoganOllivier, Liljegren should really be the only RHD roster upgrade the Leafs make this season. That is, unless they can find that top defender all teams are after, but are never available. If the Wild or NJ decide to blow things up, I could see the Leafs being interested in Matt Dumba and Damon Severson, respectively, though the cost for each, and especially Dumba, may be too much.

WAY TOO MUCH. Dumba specifically, he's a great player but he isn't worth the price fans on here think he's worth. I'd just walk away from anything like the offers people are saying. Marner + for Dumba? No thanks.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.

You can't say a kid who hasn't made the NHL will "be better than [an NHL defenseman]". You can hope that. You can't make that definitive a statement.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.

Cody Ceci is playing better than Severson this year...
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
#LeafsFever
WAY TOO MUCH. Dumba specifically, he's a great player but he isn't worth the price fans on here think he's worth. I'd just walk away from anything like the offers people are saying. Marner + for Dumba? No thanks.

Whatever fixes the Leafs make this season, I don't foresee any massive trades, and I hope none of their top prospects move. Stay the course and fix issues, as best they can, internally. The Marlies have been great so far this season and a bunch of them should be ready for call-ups, if not now, then shortly.
blowing_the_zone and Trickster liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BCAPP
You can't say a kid who hasn't made the NHL will "be better than [an NHL defenseman]". You can hope that. You can't make that definitive a statement.

Is Deangelo an NHL defenceman though? He put up a lot of points but was destroyed in his own zone. Sure he's young and it can be expected that he'll grow but the same can be said about Liljegren.

The point I am making is the costs associated with bringing defensive help are probably not going to be worth it. Is Deangelo an upgrade over Ceci? I don't think so, is Spurgeon an upgrade over Ceci? Absolutely a major upgrade but his contract is a joke and the cost to get him would be way too much.

Liljegren is going to be good. He has improved his defensive play immensely on the farm and that's generally that harder skill to get good at. Now he's also piling up points on the farm team so his offensive game is coming around as well. The next step is the NHL and I think he'll succeed there as well.

So why move Kapanen, or Johnsson or Nylander for defensive help that really isn't a clear upgrade over what we have or will cost more than the player coming over is worth?
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
Banned

No, but the cost associated in getting Severson is too much and I highly doubt he'll be available. Is moving Nylander to get Severson make TO better than keeping Nylander and playing Ceci where he is now? I think Nylander has a bigger impact than Severson would, which is why I'd just not make that trade. The only way I'd move Ceci is if the Leafs needed the cap space to bring in a different defender as a rental. Like if they could move Bracco and a 2nd to Vancouver to get Tanev, then I'd move Ceci anywhere to get the space but I wouldn't move him for nothing just to overpay for a defender.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
#LeafsFever

They are different players that offer some different things. The general criticism on Ceci is that he is not tough enough in the defensive zone and often misplays the puck when under pressure - he also offers only decent skating and minimal offense. Severson is higher risk higher reward, but comes with better skating and a significantly better shot. I would say, all things considered, Ceci has lived up to, if not exceeded my early expectations for him as a Leafs. That said, I do not think he is a top-pairing defender, and putting him up against top opponents exposes some elements of his game. Severson's grit and toughness has, at least at times, compensated for whatever lapses he may have defensively.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:44 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Is Deangelo an NHL defenceman though? He put up a lot of points but was destroyed in his own zone. Sure he's young and it can be expected that he'll grow but the same can be said about Liljegren.

The point I am making is the costs associated with bringing defensive help are probably not going to be worth it. Is Deangelo an upgrade over Ceci? I don't think so, is Spurgeon an upgrade over Ceci? Absolutely a major upgrade but his contract is a joke and the cost to get him would be way too much.

Liljegren is going to be good. He has improved his defensive play immensely on the farm and that's generally that harder skill to get good at. Now he's also piling up points on the farm team so his offensive game is coming around as well. The next step is the NHL and I think he'll succeed there as well.

So why move Kapanen, or Johnsson or Nylander for defensive help that really isn't a clear upgrade over what we have or will cost more than the player coming over is worth?

As far as I am concerned, Tony DeAngelo is a flash in pan type player. He can be, at times, flashy and seem brilliant, but at other times, he does too much, which hurts his team. Based on his work so far, he is almost essentially pure offense. He's a great skater, and it's noticeable, but I don't think he will be a two-way defender.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Spurgeon is a number 1 and faces teams top lines. He is much more defensively solid than dumba and a great two way guy. The cons... his age and contract. This was a trade proposal by someone else that came under fire. I just added my revisions.

Leafs do not need two rhd. They need one top pair shutdown guy. Spurgeon is great and if he had a few more years left let on his current deal I would scoop him up. If Holl continues on his current track (remember this is the first time he has been given a full time spot). I would like to see him in the lineup next year. That gives us 3lhd and 2 rhd ready to go next year.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Banned
Whatever fixes the Leafs make this season, I don't foresee any massive trades, and I hope none of their top prospects move. Stay the course and fix issues, as best they can, internally. The Marlies have been great so far this season and a bunch of them should be ready for call-ups, if not now, then shortly.

I did hear some media guys talking today and they said something that surprised me. They were talking about how critical they have been about the Leafs so far this season and then one of them asked, "What team has had everything rolling perfectly? Not many and the ones that really aren't doing well, Tampa, San Jose, Calgary etc those teams are on the outside looking in right now while TO has a winning record and is in a playoff spot while not being very good." To which I said, about time you guys checked yourselves. TO at their worst is an average team, what do they look like when the new guys are all 100% comfortable, what happens when Barrie starts producing? Or when Hyman is back and the whole lineup is playing up to speed? If this is them at their worst, I am pretty happy with that.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Watching liljegren this season shouts nhl ready. His game is what this league demands. Solid defensive and quick creative puck movement. I think he will transition smoothly.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: Jamiepo
Spurgeon is a number 1 and faces teams top lines. He is much more defensively solid than dumba and a great two way guy. The cons... his age and contract. This was a trade proposal by someone else that came under fire. I just added my revisions.

Leafs do not need two rhd. They need one top pair shutdown guy. Spurgeon is great and if he had a few more years left let on his current deal I would scoop him up. If Holl continues on his current track (remember this is the first time he has been given a full time spot). I would like to see him in the lineup next year. That gives us 3lhd and 2 rhd ready to go next year.

Spurgeon is not a shut down guy. I don't watch the Wild enough, but from what I've seen, they usually throw Suter or Brodin and Dumba out there against the other team's top offensive players. I am not saying Spurgeon is a bad defenseman, but he is not what the Leafs need. I like Justin Holl and Dermott as a 3rd pairing yes, and if the Leafs can resign Muzzin, I could envision a situation where he played with Timothy Lilijgren next season. That means there is still that biggest of holes beside Morgan Reilly, and the Leafs would have to make room for Rasmus Sandin, who I imagine would slide in, at some point, beside Dermott. That hole is the problem. Although they've both been decent, neither Barrie nor Ceci seem like a solution.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Banned
As far as I am concerned, Tony DeAngelo is a flash in pan type player. He can be, at times, flashy and seem brilliant, but at other times, he does too much, which hurts his team. Based on his work so far, he is almost essentially pure offense. He's a great skater, and it's noticeable, but I don't think he will be a two-way defender.

So then what are we talking about? Liljegren is a fantastic skater, and has developed a terrific defensive game in the minors. I don't see him as a flash in the pan, I see him being a really good two way defender.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
#LeafsFever
I did hear some media guys talking today and they said something that surprised me. They were talking about how critical they have been about the Leafs so far this season and then one of them asked, "What team has had everything rolling perfectly? Not many and the ones that really aren't doing well, Tampa, San Jose, Calgary etc those teams are on the outside looking in right now while TO has a winning record and is in a playoff spot while not being very good." To which I said, about time you guys checked yourselves. TO at their worst is an average team, what do they look like when the new guys are all 100% comfortable, what happens when Barrie starts producing? Or when Hyman is back and the whole lineup is playing up to speed? If this is them at their worst, I am pretty happy with that.

My counter-point though is a full healthy roster capable of making a solid sustained impact that not just gets them into the playoffs. They've been doing that consistently for a few seasons now. It's about find the momentum to carry them through it (the playoffs). I just think the Leafs defensive game, as a whole, is too weak. I am not even specifically talking about grit or toughness here. It's about playing the best two-way hockey each of these guys are capable of. I see Trevor Moore doing it nightly, I see Gauthier really trying with his improved skating, I see Tavares trying, even Matthews and to a lessor extent Marner is trying, but trying only gets you so far. Perhaps to put it a better way, I expect more defensive hustle, particularly, from Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson and sometimes, Kapanen. I am sure if those guys back-checked just a little bit more, it would lessen the load and responsibility from some of our D. Some of the blame though has to rest on the coach as well. Some of these systems, don't work in the Leaf's defensive favour.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
#LeafsFever
So then what are we talking about? Liljegren is a fantastic skater, and has developed a terrific defensive game in the minors. I don't see him as a flash in the pan, I see him being a really good two way defender.

I think a lot of people are convinced by DeAngelos' offensive production this season that he is a top-pairing defender, and because the Rangers are still in a rebuild, they could trade him away for basically whatever they wanted. To that, I say, look at his advanced stats (which aren't flattering), and look beyond the offense. I am fully content to wait on our 2 stud Marlies defenders to arrive and, specifically, I have been very pleased with what I've been seeing from Liljegren.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:11 p.m.
Banned
My counter-point though is a full healthy roster capable of making a solid sustained impact that not just gets them into the playoffs. They've been doing that consistently for a few seasons now. It's about find the momentum to carry them through it (the playoffs). I just think the Leafs defensive game, as a whole, is too weak. I am not even specifically talking about grit or toughness here. It's about playing the best two-way hockey each of these guys are capable of. I see Trevor Moore doing it nightly, I see Gauthier really trying with his improved skating, I see Tavares trying, even Matthews and to a lessor extent Marner is trying, but trying only gets you so far. Perhaps to put it a better way, I expect more defensive hustle, particularly, from Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson and sometimes, Kapanen. I am sure if those guys back-checked just a little bit more, it would lessen the load and responsibility from some of our D. Some of the blame though has to rest on the coach as well. Some of these systems, don't work in the Leaf's defensive favour.

Have you been watching them the last few games? I didn't see many odd man rushes or really bad positioning last night. Or against LA. I actually really like the way the Leafs played the past 2 games. They seem to be settling into a more responsible game waiting for their chances and when the other team makes a mistake they can turn it around quick. That looks like the way for them to play. Smart and fast, patient and when they make a mistake you can turn it around. Take away the slot and keep chances to the outside and let Andersen make easy saves which he did. Some called last nights game 2 points stolen by Andersen but that is unfair since Vegas had 1 more shot on net than TO, Subban played great as well.

My point is, its early, and the Leafs are rounding into form. Look at other teams that have struggled a bit so far and then you can see some real issues to be worried about. San Jose for example, what are they going to do? Tampa is quickly finding themselves in a deep hole. Calgary as well. If this is TO at its worst, what are they going to be when they are at their best? Better to struggle now than in April.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
Banned
I think a lot of people are convinced by DeAngelos' offensive production this season that he is a top-pairing defender, and because the Rangers are still in a rebuild, they could trade him away for basically whatever they wanted. To that, I say, look at his advanced stats (which aren't flattering), and look beyond the offense. I am fully content to wait on our 2 stud Marlies defenders to arrive and, specifically, I have been very pleased with what I've been seeing from Liljegren.

So then we are in agreement
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:46 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Spurgeon is not a shut down guy. I don't watch the Wild enough, but from what I've seen, they usually throw Suter or Brodin and Dumba out there against the other team's top offensive players. I am not saying Spurgeon is a bad defenseman, but he is not what the Leafs need. I like Justin Holl and Dermott as a 3rd pairing yes, and if the Leafs can resign Muzzin, I could envision a situation where he played with Timothy Lilijgren next season. That means there is still that biggest of holes beside Morgan Reilly, and the Leafs would have to make room for Rasmus Sandin, who I imagine would slide in, at some point, beside Dermott. That hole is the problem. Although they've both been decent, neither Barrie nor Ceci seem like a solution.

Dumba has certainly taken the number 1 spot over but spurgeon is better defensively, 100% and I have seen quite a bit of him. But I am arguing from the wrong side here, that contract and his age... I’d pass.
Trickster liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 6:14 p.m.

Yes DeAngelo is an NHL defenseman. That is a fact.

He also isn't being destroyed. He has positive possession stats last year and this year playing 18-19 minutes per night.

Liljegren has improved his play in the AHL. I'm hopeful for him but you just can't make factual statements that he will be better. We want him to be better. We can hope he can be better. We can say there is a good shot he'll be better. But we can't say he WILL be better
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 6:14 p.m.
No, but the cost associated in getting Severson is too much and I highly doubt he'll be available. Is moving Nylander to get Severson make TO better than keeping Nylander and playing Ceci where he is now? I think Nylander has a bigger impact than Severson would, which is why I'd just not make that trade. The only way I'd move Ceci is if the Leafs needed the cap space to bring in a different defender as a rental. Like if they could move Bracco and a 2nd to Vancouver to get Tanev, then I'd move Ceci anywhere to get the space but I wouldn't move him for nothing just to overpay for a defender.

I don't think you read what I wrote. I said Ceci was playing better than Severson.
Nov. 9, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.

I think this is absolutely, 100%, the right take.
MG1986 and Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll