SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

5 New Questions

Nov. 12, 2019 at 1:16 a.m.
1. How much credit does Barry Trotz deserve for the Islanders continued success? On paper they look like a mediocre team on a good day, but they continue to pile up W's.

2. Which team is the current favorite to win the Stanley Cup if the playoffs began today (assuming every team is 100% healthy)?

3. Major award winners if the season ended today? Hart...Vezina...Norris...Calder...Selke...Adams?

4. Does Dustin Byfuglien return to the NHL this season?

5. This was probably an unthinkable question a month ago but, are the Leafs actually in danger of missing the playoffs? If they do miss, what are their possible remedies (besides firing Babcock)?

Bonus Question: Did Sportsnet do the right thing when they dumped Don Cherry?
Nov. 12, 2019 at 1:56 a.m.
1. People usually say coaches get too much blame/credit based on their team's results, but what Trotz has done is nothing short of incredible. He's gotten the team to buy in to his system 100%. Amazing.

2. I think Trotz former team, the Caps, are best suited for a Cup run. Their offensive depth is unmatched, They've done it before w/ the same core group, and they play a fast and physical game that tends to thrive in the postseason. I think they'll end up defeating STL or VGK in the Finals.

3. Hart: Leon Draisaitl. He'd probably split votes w/ McDavid, opening the door for Pasta, but Draisaitl has 3 more goals and 4 more points than McDavid right now. Vezina: Connor Hellebuyck if WPG makes the playoffs. If not, I'll take Fleury. Norris: John Carlson (a no-brainer, also in the mix for the Hart). Calder: Cale Makar (another no-brainer). Selke: Patrice Bergeron (almost a toss-up between him and Ryan O'Reilly). Adams: Dave Tippett-If EDM makes the playoffs, he's pretty much the guaranteed front-runner (but, I nonetheless believe Trotz is the best coach in the league today).

4. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, yes. Buff will return this season after Jan 1st and provide the Jets with a big boost from the back end.

5. I think the Leafs will eventually sneak into the playoffs. At the end of the day, their high end offensive talent will elevate them past teams like BUF and MTL. However, I remain very skeptical about how this team is constructed-way too top heavy and not enough depth, especially on the back end. I predict another early exit from the playoffs and major turnover next summer (like everyone else). Anything short of a trip to the Conference Finals and Babcock will be sent packing. But Dubas deserves some of the blame for the team he constructed.

6. Without passing judgement on what Don Cherry actually said, I think SN ran the risk of alienating a portion of their viewers if they chose to look the other way. I think it was a business decision at the end of the day. In today's political and social landscape, it's probably best to keep sports and politics separate whenever possible.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 9:28 a.m.
1. Trotz has a lot to do with Islanders' success. But I think the real credit goes to Mitch Korn.
2. Washington Capitals favorites to win the cup.
3. Hart = Draisaitl; Vezina = Greiss; Norris = Carlson; Adams = Tippett; Calder = Makar
4. Yes; Byfuglien returns this season.
5. The Leafs are not in danger of missing the playoffs.
Bonus: Sportsnet did the right thing in firing Don Cherry.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
1. As an isles fan let me tell you what he’s done is crazy. A good system can be the difference on a team. He is 100% the MVP of the Isles.
2. Washington would be the favorite, with Boston a close 2nd.
3. Hart- Draisitl. Vezina- a tough one, but I’d give it to Fleury, with Greiss and Rinne as the other candidates. Norris- John Carlson, no questions asked. Calder- Cale Makar, once again, no questions asked. Selke- Bergeron cuz of reputation. Adams- Trotz
4. Yes, but this is his last season.
5. If they miss or even get out of the first round I think Babcock is a goner.

Bonus: I will not be answering cuz I don’t know much ab Canadien politics.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
1. All of the credits. That team would be a middler without trotz. He is over-achieving with whats given to him.

2. Homer alert... Bruins.

3. dont really care who wins the awards tbh i just love the game and the feel of the playoffs.

4. Ive seen alot of optimism from people, i think he doesn't but its likely a 50/50 shot whether he does or not.

5. Leafs will probably still make the playoffs, does anyone really believe florida or sabres will continue winning? That being said, they dont particularly have room to move players for this year... i think babcock gets fired unless they get to the ecf or scf which i dont see happening.

Bonus Question: No, its not like its a live broadcast... they 100% could have edited him out and this wouldnt even be a thing. Such a cowardly thing to do to air it and then when facing the backlash for one of the all time greats there to just appeal to the masses. I hate society. Humanity blows.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 2:35 p.m.
torontos finest
1. Definitely deserves a large portion of the credit.

2. Picking a team at random - New Jersey Devils, apparently.

3. Hart - Draisatl, Vezina - Hellebuyck, Norris - Carlson, Calder - Makar, Selke - McDavid, Adams - Trotz

4. I don't think he returns.

5. Not really. If they're headed into Christmas below .500, then I'd be worried.

Bonus - Yes. His segments have been reduced to babbling nonsense, and it was only a matter of time before he said something crude that would force Sportsnet to get rid of him.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
1) He deserves a ton on credit.
2) Caps or Blues
3) Too early to actually make a good call because of small sample size.
4) I doubt it
5) They should stay in the playoffs this season, and a coaching change is probably needed either way
6) No. Considering it was most likely a financial decision based on their decisions this past summer it's understandable, although very bad for PR. I personally wouldn't fire someone for saying immigrants should be treated as, and be expected to participate in the same traditions as, natural born Canadians but that's just me.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 7:35 p.m.
1) They are good only because of him.
2) NYI/WSH/STL
3) Hart - MacKinnon, Vezina - Kuemper, Norris - Carlson, Calder - Makar, Selke - ROR, Adams - Trotz
4) Idk
5) Their team is "plastic" . I don't see them as contenders.

Bonus: All I can say is I never liked him.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2019 at 10:12 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
1. A lot of the credit. He’s the best coach in the NHL.
2. Definitely Boston
Hart - David Pastrnak
Vezina - Darcy Kuemper?
Norris - John Carlson
Calder - Cale Makar
Selke - O’Reilly/Stone/Barkov/Bergeron
Jack Adams - Barry Trotz
4. I doubt it.
5. Yes. There should be at least 5 competitive teams in the Atlantic, and some good teams in the Metro. The Leafs aren’t that different from the other teams. The only teams really separating themselves from the pack are Boston & Washington.
Brian2016 and krakowitz liked this.
Nov. 13, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
1. Only reason they are in this position
2. Boston Bruins
Hart: Mcdavid
Norris: Carlson
Vezina: Fleury
Selke: Bergeron
Adams: Trotz
Calder: Makar

4. NO
5. I think the Leafs are simply underperforming. Injuries and the terrible schedules they have had haven't helped much but they simply aren't playing good. At an above average performance they are at least 2-3 in the division. I just think they need to find a rhythm. We have seen slow starts in the past that mean nothing. Last season Boston and St. Louis were in similar positions yet they both ended up in the finals. Pittsburgh First cup int he back to back era were out of a playoff spot by Christmas.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 13, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

1. Trotz. A major reason for Isles success
2. Boston...Washingotn
3. Winners...not sure
4. Yes Buff returns
5. No the Leaf question was relevant when they went overspend 4.5m on their RFAs and couldn't improve their team. Lost three good NHL Dmen and the three replacements haven't been as good. Switch of assistant coaches., not as effective. Leafs made the playoff by four points last year and they are worse this year. Darn right they were in danger of missing the playoffs October 1st and even more today. Firing Babcock would be a start in the right direction for the Leafs....he's a terrible game manager. Possible remedies. Some change of player personnel next summer. This year, it's write off either way.
Bonus. Yes. More for a accumulation of stupid comments throughout the years, but his latest....that put the Cherry on it. Sportnet (and Rogers) who I don't like at all did the right thing with the firing.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 17, 2019 at 3:33 a.m.
Quoting: matulix
1) They are good only because of him.
2) NYI/WSH/STL
3) Hart - MacKinnon, Vezina - Kuemper, Norris - Carlson, Calder - Makar, Selke - ROR, Adams - Trotz
4) Idk
5) Their team is "plastic" . I don't see them as contenders.

Bonus: All I can say is I never liked him.

I just added Ron MacLean to the list w/ Don Cherry as he begged for fans' forgiveness tonight. All I remember is watching him sit there like a mute nodding his head while Cherry described his disdain for "new people" lol. What a joke. He clearly has no problem selling out to keep his bosses at SN happy.
Nov. 17, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
Earfgang
Quoting: Brian2016
1. How much credit does Barry Trotz deserve for the Islanders continued success? On paper they look like a mediocre team on a good day, but they continue to pile up W's.

2. Which team is the current favorite to win the Stanley Cup if the playoffs began today (assuming every team is 100% healthy)?

3. Major award winners if the season ended today? Hart...Vezina...Norris...Calder...Selke...Adams?

4. Does Dustin Byfuglien return to the NHL this season?

5. This was probably an unthinkable question a month ago but, are the Leafs actually in danger of missing the playoffs? If they do miss, what are their possible remedies (besides firing Babcock)?

1. Tons, their defensive system is what is winning them games, 11 wins with 17 goals in that time, ****ing beautiful.

2. I say STL, I see 3/5 cup contenders in the east, I see one or two in the west. Blues have a very open path to the cup and will face far less competition than any team from the east will face making them most likely

3. Hart- Carlson (Im feeling scandalous), Vezina- Gibson (FFS GIVE HIM ONE), Norris-Carlson, Calder- Maker, Selke- ROR, Adams- Trotz or Berube,

4. No

5. No, if they start getting close to that Babcock will be fired and they will become great again.

Bonus, Had to be done eventually, just don't hire another one now that he is gone
Nov. 18, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
1. Trotz should be given a lot of credit for the Islanders recent success. He took over in 18-19 when the Islanders were still basically the same team from 17-18 minus Tavares, and managed to push them to 5th in the league. Lehner and Greiss should be given a lot of credit as well, because they stopped nearly all the leaks on defense, and contributed largely to their first in the league goals against, not to mention they recently had a 9 game win streak.
2. I would say Carolina is favorites for the cup. Unpopular opinion I know, but Holtby has not been good, and will the Capitals really want to push the rookie Samsonov into the postseason? Carolina has a top defense in the league, solid top 6 forwards and bottom six forwards, higlighted by Haula and Dzingel. They are able to get by with just okay goaltending, 1B/1B tandem with Reimer and Mrazek, and Mrazek was good in last seasons playoffs, their defense helping out a lot, they just could not solve the Rubix Cube of Tuukka Rask last season. Not to mention they have a top in the league Corsi Differential per 60, Expected Goal Differential per 60, and once again, their defense just bein unreal. Only real hole in the roster is their tendies, but if Mrazek gets hot, they are serious contenders.
3. I think Draisaitl will get the Hart, the runner up being McDavid, and call me crazy, but Pettersson will get a nomination, has just been carrying the Canucks so far this season, but Novembers always go poorly for the Nucks, hence my new saying, "No Nucks November". Vezina I think will go to Hellebyuck. He has been stopping nearly all the leaks on the back end, and giving Winnipeg a chance to win every game. He is also miles ahead in Goals Saved Above Expectation, basically means he saves the most high danger chances in the league. Calder is a no-brainer for Makar. Over point-per-game as a defenseman, he isn't incredible defensively, but he is an offensive defenseman, and he is outscoring is defensive woes, Expected Goals For per 60 of 2.71, and an Expected Goals Against per 60 of 2.31. Norris is another no-brainer, it would be John Carlsson. The Norris trophy is no longer about best defenseman, it is about best OFFENSIVE defenseman, and plus-minus, which is a useless stat. Carlsson has shown no signs of slowing down. Selke I think would go to Mark Stone, even though he is a winger. His RAPM, which accounts for linemates, offensive zone starts, defensive zone starts, and competition, shows he has insane defensive metrics, blowing away Barkov from last year, and rivaling Bergeron and O'Reilly. I would have picked Crosby originally because he is underrated defensively, but he is out for 6 weeks with muscle surgery. Jack Adams I think will go to Dave Tippett if Edmonton makes the playoffs, Bruce Cassidy could be up there as well, Mike Sullivan isn't getting the credit he deserves, taking a bad defensive team in Pittsburgh and making them a league leader in Expected Goals Against, Trotz will most likely be back in the Adams voting.
4. I don't think Byfuglien will return. He has already had surgery, and will probably not want to be back with a Jets team that doesn't look hot on paper. He is 34 and can only decline from here, and who knows how he will perform if he does come back.
5. Yes, the Leafs are in danger of missing the playoffs. Babcoock is playing CODY CECI over 20 minutes a night, and not letting his top stars play even 20 minutes, even though they are very capable of playing even more minutes. If you want another reason other than Babcock, it would be backup goaltending and defense. Tyson Barrie has been abysmal this season, and I have no idea why Ceci is on the top pair, while the Leafs best defenseman, has arguably been Dermott, as he's been great in gap control, and whenever he is on the ice, Leafs control possession more, and he is being played on the third pair, when he could be complimenting Reilly very nicely on the top pair. Muzzin has not been good either, and Reilly has been great on offense, but not on defense. Hutchinson has been awful, and Kaskisou got blown out against Pittsburgh, and according to the shot quality he faced, should've only allowed 3 goals but got shelled for 6. Injury to Marner hasn't helped either. Main issue is Babcock.
Bonus. Has been a long time coming, said some xenophobic stuff in the past, and now hockey will probably grow faster, now that he isn't spouting archaic ideas.
Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: Zetna
1. Trotz should be given a lot of credit for the Islanders recent success. He took over in 18-19 when the Islanders were still basically the same team from 17-18 minus Tavares, and managed to push them to 5th in the league. Lehner and Greiss should be given a lot of credit as well, because they stopped nearly all the leaks on defense, and contributed largely to their first in the league goals against, not to mention they recently had a 9 game win streak.
2. I would say Carolina is favorites for the cup. Unpopular opinion I know, but Holtby has not been good, and will the Capitals really want to push the rookie Samsonov into the postseason? Carolina has a top defense in the league, solid top 6 forwards and bottom six forwards, higlighted by Haula and Dzingel. They are able to get by with just okay goaltending, 1B/1B tandem with Reimer and Mrazek, and Mrazek was good in last seasons playoffs, their defense helping out a lot, they just could not solve the Rubix Cube of Tuukka Rask last season. Not to mention they have a top in the league Corsi Differential per 60, Expected Goal Differential per 60, and once again, their defense just bein unreal. Only real hole in the roster is their tendies, but if Mrazek gets hot, they are serious contenders.
3. I think Draisaitl will get the Hart, the runner up being McDavid, and call me crazy, but Pettersson will get a nomination, has just been carrying the Canucks so far this season, but Novembers always go poorly for the Nucks, hence my new saying, "No Nucks November". Vezina I think will go to Hellebyuck. He has been stopping nearly all the leaks on the back end, and giving Winnipeg a chance to win every game. He is also miles ahead in Goals Saved Above Expectation, basically means he saves the most high danger chances in the league. Calder is a no-brainer for Makar. Over point-per-game as a defenseman, he isn't incredible defensively, but he is an offensive defenseman, and he is outscoring is defensive woes, Expected Goals For per 60 of 2.71, and an Expected Goals Against per 60 of 2.31. Norris is another no-brainer, it would be John Carlsson. The Norris trophy is no longer about best defenseman, it is about best OFFENSIVE defenseman, and plus-minus, which is a useless stat. Carlsson has shown no signs of slowing down. Selke I think would go to Mark Stone, even though he is a winger. His RAPM, which accounts for linemates, offensive zone starts, defensive zone starts, and competition, shows he has insane defensive metrics, blowing away Barkov from last year, and rivaling Bergeron and O'Reilly. I would have picked Crosby originally because he is underrated defensively, but he is out for 6 weeks with muscle surgery. Jack Adams I think will go to Dave Tippett if Edmonton makes the playoffs, Bruce Cassidy could be up there as well, Mike Sullivan isn't getting the credit he deserves, taking a bad defensive team in Pittsburgh and making them a league leader in Expected Goals Against, Trotz will most likely be back in the Adams voting.
4. I don't think Byfuglien will return. He has already had surgery, and will probably not want to be back with a Jets team that doesn't look hot on paper. He is 34 and can only decline from here, and who knows how he will perform if he does come back.
5. Yes, the Leafs are in danger of missing the playoffs. Babcoock is playing CODY CECI over 20 minutes a night, and not letting his top stars play even 20 minutes, even though they are very capable of playing even more minutes. If you want another reason other than Babcock, it would be backup goaltending and defense. Tyson Barrie has been abysmal this season, and I have no idea why Ceci is on the top pair, while the Leafs best defenseman, has arguably been Dermott, as he's been great in gap control, and whenever he is on the ice, Leafs control possession more, and he is being played on the third pair, when he could be complimenting Reilly very nicely on the top pair. Muzzin has not been good either, and Reilly has been great on offense, but not on defense. Hutchinson has been awful, and Kaskisou got blown out against Pittsburgh, and according to the shot quality he faced, should've only allowed 3 goals but got shelled for 6. Injury to Marner hasn't helped either. Main issue is Babcock.
Bonus. Has been a long time coming, said some xenophobic stuff in the past, and now hockey will probably grow faster, now that he isn't spouting archaic ideas.

My only issue with the firing of Cherry is that if it wasn't just about this most recent incident, why not wait a couple weeks and let him leave w/ some dignity. 85 year olds tend to not see the world through the same window as most of society. I watched him on Tucker Carlson and he's totally and genuinely convinced he was right to say what he said.

I'm not saying he wasn't wrong, but there's def. a lot of outside influence in society these days. Most Americans never heard of him until this happened. I think he was a bit of a scapegoat for old white guys all over North America. But, he was an ambassador for the game and for SN and shouldn't have used his public position to voice his person thoughts, especially if those thoughts alienate some fans.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll