Forums/Armchair-GM

Is this team still a contender if it trades a top defenseman

Created by: Eli
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 15, 2019
Published: Nov. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Are the Caps good enough to contend without Orlov this year? Is Djoos ready for a top four role in the NHL?

If yes and yes, what's Orlov worth? He's 18th in even strength points by a defenseman over the last four years. By last year's XGFrel, he's a top-50 defenseman in the NHL. Between those two numbers, I think he's a poor man's #1, who's just missing top power play time to prove it. But he's also killed a lot of penalties over the years, and worked on the shutdown pair with an arguably aging, possibly less effective Matt Niskanen, and together been solid enough to win a championship with a lot of close games.

I think any of these teams that pick him up immediately become locks for a playoff spot this year, and a couple of them become contenders with these trades. Chicago and San Jose in particular might want to make moves to contend this year while some of their all-time greats can be a part of it.
Trades
WSH
  1. Juulsen, Noah
  2. Vejdemo, Lukas
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
MTL
    Orlov. Balance this out however. I think it makes Montreal contenders.
    WSH
    1. Guhle, Brendan
    2. Ritchie, Nick
    3. 2020 2nd round pick (ANA)
    ANA
    WSH
    1. Tuch, Alex
    Additional Details:
    Okay, maybe there doesn't have to be a pick and a prospect with every player.
    VGK
      Orlov. Obviously neither of these guys is very likely to move, but Vegas has the forwards and goaltending to contend. Orlov puts their defense back at that level. McPhee drafted him, knows he's pretty good.
      WSH
      1. Dell, Aaron
      2. Labanc, Kevin
      3. Merkley, Ryan
      Additional Details:
      The Sharks' actual top prospect IMO, a terrific young player having a slight down year, and a cap dump to bury in the minors.
      SJS
      1. Copley, Pheonix
      2. 2020 4th round pick (WSH)
      Additional Details:
      Orlov--I think the Sharks' woes are about depth of defensive guys on defense, but over the last season and a half, Copley's NHL stats are better than Jones' or Dell's. Orlov and Copley together fix the Sharks' defense and get them into the playoffs for one last shot with Thornton and Marleau.
      WSH
      1. Boqvist, Adam
      2. Määttä, Olli
      3. 2020 5th round pick (CHI)
      CHI
        Orlov and Jensen.
        Buried
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the ANA
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the ARI
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the CHI
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the WSH
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        32$81,500,000$88,092,279$1,150,000$1,872,500-$6,592,279
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Washington Capitals
        $9,538,462$9,538,462
        LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $3,900,000$3,900,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 6
        $5,750,000$5,750,000
        RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 6
        $3,350,000$3,350,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $6,700,000$6,700,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $5,166,667$5,166,667
        RW
        UFA - 5
        $2,750,000$2,750,000
        LW
        UFA - 4
        $2,415,000$2,415,000
        C
        UFA - 4
        $839,167$839,167
        RW
        UFA - 4
        $1,375,000$1,375,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 4
        $750,000$750,000
        C
        UFA - 3
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 4
        Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
        $792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
        $4,750,000$4,750,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 7
        $1,050,000$1,050,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the San Jose Sharks
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $700,000$700,000
        LW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
        $1,498,925$1,498,925
        LW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $1,275,000$1,275,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        $8,000,000$8,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 7
        $6,100,000$6,100,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        LD
        UFA - 3
        $2,345,000$2,345,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
        G
        UFA - 2
        $714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 4
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
        RD
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
        $697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $894,167$894,167
        RD
        UFA - 4
        Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RD
        RFA - 3
        Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
        $3,333,225$3,333,225
        LD
        UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
        Who adds what?
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        I won’t say the sharks trade is terrible because it isn’t. But I’d think sharks need retention on orlov. As well as this creates a hole in the top 6 for them; not saying we need a top 6 in return but it’s a close fit for both teams. But I’d hate losing Merkley; I personally change/ counter it to Chmelevski or Chekhovich (your choosing).

Dell
        Labanc
        Chmel or Chek
        2022 2nd
        2020 3rd

Copley
        Orlov (some sorta retention)

Counter out of preference and although we’d hhave a hole and no need for orlov might as well discuss with you (a lot of the money spent on that back end not that orlov is bad or anything)
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
        Ducks don't touch that, we need RD not LD and if we give up that much we're filling a need we have
        Eli liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:21 a.m.
        What in tarnation
        Why does the value differ so much in different trades? For example, that MTL trade is so much in Habs' favor, while that CHI trade is something they wouldn't even consider...
        exo2769 liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:47 a.m.
        exo2769
        Quoting: BurgerBoss
        Why does the value differ so much in different trades? For example, that MTL trade is so much in Habs' favor, while that CHI trade is something they wouldn't even consider...

I was just going to say this exact thing. You'd need to add quite a bit more than Orlov to get Boqvist. Considering the Hawks needs for young/cheap Dmen, I'm certain Orlov and Connor McMichael wouldn't get it done.
        justaBoss liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:50 a.m.
        Who adds what?
        Quoting: yikes
        I won’t say the sharks trade is terrible because it isn’t. But I’d think sharks need retention on orlov. As well as this creates a hole in the top 6 for them; not saying we need a top 6 in return but it’s a close fit for both teams. But I’d hate losing Merkley; I personally change/ counter it to Chmelevski or Chekhovich (your choosing).

Dell
        Labanc
        Chmel or Chek
        2022 2nd
        2020 3rd

Copley
        Orlov (some sorta retention)

Counter out of preference and although we’d hhave a hole and no need for orlov might as well discuss with you (a lot of the money spent on that back end not that orlov is bad or anything)

Caps are in win now mode. Their farm team is in win now mode.

From that perspective: Orlov>Vlasic>Labanc>1st round pick>Merkley>2nd round pick>Copley>Djoos>Korenar>3rd pick>5th pick>those AHL healthy scratches you mentioned.

And you want four years of salary retention while Orlov costs 1.5M less than Vlasic.

If you think Chmelevski has that kind of value right now, play him at 2R. If you want to know what you can get for B- prospects, let's talk about DJoos or Copley for an AHL grab bag.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 11:54 a.m.
        EklundCelebriniSmith
        Quoting: Eli
        Caps are in win now mode. Their farm team is in win now mode.

From that perspective: Orlov>Vlasic>Labanc>1st round pick>Merkley>2nd round pick>Copley>Djoos>Korenar>3rd pick>5th pick>those AHL healthy scratches you mentioned.

And you want four years of salary retention while Orlov costs 1.5M less than Vlasic.

If you think Chmelevski has that kind of value right now, play him at 2R. If you want to know what you can get for B- prospects, let's talk about DJoos or Copley for an AHL grab bag.

It seems your reply was aggressive maybe I’m wrong. But I didn’t say your suggestion was crap I think the sharks have no need for orlov and could just sit tight without him and not have to give up merkley. They can’t afford another guy on the back end for over 4 mil. As well as just trade for Copley alone. As for Chmel and Chek I think you’re calling them crap is false but whatever I don’t feel like arguing so whatever sharks say no and sit tight as Merkley is almost untouchable.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: exo2769
        I was just going to say this exact thing. You'd need to add quite a bit more than Orlov to get Boqvist. Considering the Hawks needs for young/cheap Dmen, I'm certain Orlov and Connor McMichael wouldn't get it done.

I wouldn’t trade boqvist 1 for 1 for mcmichaels. Orlov is a great dman but a agree hawks aren’t a win now team so no need to trade for him
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
        GM Game v1 v2

I was thinking the same. From a Habs fan perspective, I would be willing to give more than that. Orlov fits our needs.
        justaBoss and Eli liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
        Who adds what?

Hawks fans are posting threads asking where the Hawks can add a #1 left shot defenseman so that Keith can play 2nd pair. Orlov is the best potentially available option: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpoints&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&leftyOrRighty=L&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

Jensen>>Maatta.

Boqvist was a top ten pick, but he fell relative to predictions, which is sometimes a sign of a bust. He has one point in six games in the NHL, and the same in the AHL right now. That's hardly making him look untradeable. He can help Hershey make the playoffs, and maybe the Caps give him a look next year or the year after, if he earns it. The Caps could win this trade in five years, but this year it makes Chicago a contender, while Crawford, Toews, and Keith can still contribute.

First of all, thank you! I'm not perfect. I try to be fair. I try to write win-win deals. If I'm winning some and losing some, then at least I'm trying to be fair, even if we have different ideas of what players are worth.

Vejdemo is off to a good start and showing steady improvement as a pro. Juulsen has shown he can play in the NHL but he has to come back from an eye injury. Orlov has more even strength points over the last four years than Weber or Petry because he stays healthy. If Weber, Petry, and a couple forwards get hurt, the Habs could still finish out of the playoffs, and that 45th pick could turn out to be better than Adam Boqvist who has one point in six games in each of the NHL and the AHL, career. But I went into detail about the Hawks, above.

The Caps lose all of these trades, short term. So the question is which ones keep them in contention for a longer window, and which ones are just flat-out bad.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
        Who adds what?
        Quoting: Salzy
        Ducks don't touch that, we need RD not LD and if we give up that much we're filling a need we have

Offensive or two way? I don't see Carlson moving at any price. With how well Gudas has played, Caps could talk Jensen. Maybe for Ritchie?
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
        Offensive or two way? I don't see Carlson moving at any price. With how well Gudas has played, Caps could talk Jensen. Maybe for Ritchie?

Probably more of a 2-way. when healthy we line up

Lindholm - Manson
        Guhle - Fowler
        Larsson/Mahura - Gudbranson

Fowler being on his off-side isn't ideal but idk if we add another until the offseason to fully evaluate Guhle/Larsson/Mahura to see who plays best with who

Perhaps a conversation based around Ritchie-Jensen could be had but I dont see it until the offseason if it did
        Eli liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
        Who adds what?
        Quoting: TopLineTom43
        I wouldn’t trade boqvist 1 for 1 for mcmichaels. Orlov is a great dman but a agree hawks aren’t a win now team so no need to trade for him

They think their big issue is a lack of an effective defenseman this year. That and sloppy breakouts. Orlov helps both.

Chicago thread: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1494443

They're in the wild card race, and this is probably the last chance to win with Crawford, Keith, and Toews contributing.

You have to respect the scouts who put Boqvist in the conversation for a possible top five pick, or higher. You also have to respect the seven GMs who passed on him, after all that hype, and let him fall to 8th.

Boqvist has one point in six games in the NHL. Same in the AHL. Needs to head to the ECHL next if he's going to develop a skill game. McMichael has 2.6 points per game in junior this year. The Caps have fewer top prospects at forward than on defense. They shouldn't trade McMichael for Boqvist, Gustafsson, and a high 2nd. But that would be close.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.
        exo2769
        Edited Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
        Hawks fans are posting threads asking where the Hawks can add a #1 left shot defenseman so that Keith can play 2nd pair. Orlov is the best potentially available option: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpoints&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&leftyOrRighty=L&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

Jensen>>Maatta.

Boqvist was a top ten pick, but he fell relative to predictions, which is sometimes a sign of a bust. He has one point in six games in the NHL, and the same in the AHL right now. That's hardly making him look untradeable. He can help Hershey make the playoffs, and maybe the Caps give him a look next year or the year after, if he earns it. The Caps could win this trade in five years, but this year it makes Chicago a contender, while Crawford, Toews, and Keith can still contribute.

First of all, thank you! I'm not perfect. I try to be fair. I try to write win-win deals. If I'm winning some and losing some, then at least I'm trying to be fair, even if we have different ideas of what players are worth.

Vejdemo is off to a good start and showing steady improvement as a pro. Juulsen has shown he can play in the NHL but he has to come back from an eye injury. Orlov has more even strength points over the last four years than Weber or Petry because he stays healthy. If Weber, Petry, and a couple forwards get hurt, the Habs could still finish out of the playoffs, and that 45th pick could turn out to be better than Adam Boqvist who has one point in six games in each of the NHL and the AHL, career. But I went into detail about the Hawks, above.

The Caps lose all of these trades, short term. So the question is which ones keep them in contention for a longer window, and which ones are just flat-out bad.

In what Metric did Boqvist fall?!?! It's actually VERY much the opposite. He fell in the draft because teams had concern about his ability to play on smaller ice. He's 100% proved that to be false. You clearly haven't watched the games...and that's OK, but he's look really good. You're basing an entire career on a kids 1st 6 games in the NHL and by the way...here's his prospect rankings...

Adam Boqvist #10
        https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-prospect-rankings-top-50-players-nhl-pipelines-2019-20/f5rpke886k4d1a2st6s5ym20x

Adam Boqvist #12
        https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

Orlov is a nice player, but he doesn't solve the Hawks problems. It's been well reported that the scheme JC was trying to implement at the beginning of the season wasn't working...so they changed. And what do you know...7 points in their last 4 games against playoff teams too. Easier said that done to keep it going though.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
        exo2769
        Edited Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
        Quoting: TopLineTom43

WAS shouldn't. They'll need someone to replace Backstrom in time. I didn't say the trade makes sense, but trading Boqvist for Orlov doesn't make sense either. CHI needs ELC puck moving dmen because they will likely lose Gus at some point this season and they have cap troubles to worry about.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:41 p.m.
        Who adds what?
        In what Metric did Boqvist fall?!?! It's actually VERY much the opposite. He fell in the draft because teams had concern about his ability to play on smaller ice. He's 100% proved that to be false. You clearly haven't watched the games...and that's OK, but he's look really good. You're basing an entire career on a kids 1st 6 games in the NHL and by the way...here's his prospect rankings...

Adam Boqvist #10
        https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-prospect-rankings-top-50-players-nhl-pipelines-2019-20/f5rpke886k4d1a2st6s5ym20x

Adam Boqvist #12
        https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

Lol:

"2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #2 by NHL Central Scouting"

--https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/265684/adam-boqvist
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:53 p.m.
        Banned
        WAS shouldn't. They'll need someone to replace Backstrom in time. I didn't say the trade makes sense, but trading Boqvist for Orlov doesn't make sense either. CHI needs ELC puck moving dmen because they will likely lose Gus at some point this season and they have cap troubles to worry about.

I agree. I think value wise both prospects have equal values. On top of that both players are exactly what their current franchises need. Orlov is great but he is currently on a contender and if traded would need to go to a different contender.
        exo2769 liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:58 p.m.
        Who adds what?

That makes sense. I think between Gus and Crow leaving, they can afford DeBrincat, and make little moves to work out the rest. If they stay close to a wild card spot much longer, they'll end up overpaying at the deadline for an LHD who can play top pair this year.

If you wanted to offer different prospects, start with forwards, then RHD, then G, then LHD? I just clicked Boqvist really quick because I noticed his stats kept him in the "futures" category, and I want to give some credit to the scouts who thought he could go 2nd overall. Even if they send him to the ECHL this year and move him up to the AHL next year, if he eventually puts together that level of a skill game, he could help the Caps a lot, three and four years out.
        exo2769 liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:04 p.m.
        exo2769
        That makes sense. I think between Gus and Crow leaving, they can afford DeBrincat, and make little moves to work out the rest. If they stay close to a wild card spot much longer, they'll end up overpaying at the deadline for an LHD who can play top pair this year.

If you wanted to offer different prospects, start with forwards, then RHD, then G, then LHD? I just clicked Boqvist really quick because I noticed his stats kept him in the "futures" category, and I want to give some credit to the scouts who thought he could go 2nd overall. Even if they send him to the ECHL this year and move him up to the AHL next year, if he eventually puts together that level of a skill game, he could help the Caps a lot, three and four years out.

Debrincat's already signed. $6.3M for 3 years. It's a really good deal for both him and the team. It's not a crazy cap hit by any stretch for a 40 goal scorer and his next contract will need to be $9M for a qualifying offer. We'll see what happens in 3 years. That part may come back to bite Stan, but we'll see. It's Strome and a #1 goalie they need to worry about for next year. Boqvist won't ever see the ECHL. The single and only reason he was sent back to the AHL yesterday was because Connor Murphy is coming off IR and Boqvist can be moved freely up/down. Hawks have a log jam at defense would need to waive anyone else. I also think Gus will get traded at some point and then we'll see Boqvist back up.
        Eli liked this.
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:27 p.m.
        Who adds what?
        Debrincat's already signed. $6.3M for 3 years. It's a really good deal for both him and the team. It's not a crazy cap hit by any stretch for a 40 goal scorer and his next contract will need to be $9M for a qualifying offer. We'll see what happens in 3 years. That part may come back to bite Stan, but we'll see. It's Strome and a #1 goalie they need to worry about for next year. Boqvist won't ever see the ECHL. The single and only reason he was sent back to the AHL yesterday was because Connor Murphy is coming off IR and Boqvist can be moved freely up/down. Hawks have a log jam at defense would need to waive anyone else. I also think Gus will get traded at some point and then we'll see Boqvist back up.

Gus for Panik, 2nd, 3rd? smile
        Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
        exo2769
        Gus for Panik, 2nd, 3rd? smile

Hawks are in too much cap trouble to take Panik. I'm not suggesting he's bad, but $2.75M is still $2.75M less next year. I'm hopeful Stan could get more, but a 2nd and 3rd would ultimately be acceptable to me vs letting walk away for free.
        Eli liked this.
        Nov. 16, 2019 at 9:33 a.m.
        Who adds what?
        Hawks are in too much cap trouble to take Panik. I'm not suggesting he's bad, but $2.75M is still $2.75M less next year. I'm hopeful Stan could get more, but a 2nd and 3rd would ultimately be acceptable to me vs letting walk away for free.

Panik's got no offense this year, but the team hasn't given up any power play goals against with him on the ice. If the offense shows up, he'll be himself again, but I don't know enough about how he played in Arizona to guess what's stopping him from scoring like a weak 2nd liner again this year. If he starts doing that, he'll be a steal.
        Nov. 16, 2019 at 10:38 a.m.
        exo2769
        Panik's got no offense this year, but the team hasn't given up any power play goals against with him on the ice. If the offense shows up, he'll be himself again, but I don't know enough about how he played in Arizona to guess what's stopping him from scoring like a weak 2nd liner again this year. If he starts doing that, he'll be a steal.

Yeah, Bowman gave Panik his 1st crack in the NHL. It's been a bit, but from what I remember...he's good at cleaning up the scraps. His conditioning is top notch and can play on any lines. Just don't expect dazzling plays. AND that's perfectly fine. Need role players too. You're right, if he starts scoring he'll be great for WAS.
        Eli liked this.
        Nov. 16, 2019 at 11:18 a.m.
        Who adds what?
        Yeah, Bowman gave Panik his 1st crack in the NHL. It's been a bit, but from what I remember...he's good at cleaning up the scraps. His conditioning is top notch and can play on any lines. Just don't expect dazzling plays. AND that's perfectly fine. Need role players too. You're right, if he starts scoring he'll be great for WAS.

I mean, yeah, he never got more than 44 points a year in Chicago. Must've been rough. smile
        exo2769 liked this.
        Nov. 17, 2019 at 9:15 a.m.
        Who adds what?
        Quoting: yikes
        It seems your reply was aggressive maybe I’m wrong. But I didn’t say your suggestion was crap I think the sharks have no need for orlov and could just sit tight without him and not have to give up merkley. They can’t afford another guy on the back end for over 4 mil. As well as just trade for Copley alone. As for Chmel and Chek I think you’re calling them crap is false but whatever I don’t feel like arguing so whatever sharks say no and sit tight as Merkley is almost untouchable.

Whoops. I can't imagine how we let our friendly conversation about sports turn mildly passive aggressive after comments as polite and gracious as, "I won't say [this] trade is terrible."

Did I let myself get distracted by baseless insults of the Caps' 2nd best defenseman's contract and not notice that you had replaced Merkley not with just one up and down prospect, but with one of them plus a 2nd and 3rd? Totally. Whoops. While I think you could include both to make that value even, the difference wasn't enough to say anything impolite over.

Thank you, Tone Police, for getting this polite and friendly conversation back on track.

If I thought your counteroffer was low, then I have myself to blame for starting the conversation out too low. I really don't know much about how to value hockey players. I'd love to learn. Any guidelines or rules of thumb?

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll