Edited Feb 4 at 4:16
The season begins tonight and I have a final update on our scoring process for Season 2 of V4. While the calculation methods and appearance of the score sheet will look different, most of the scoring details from Season 1 will carry over. However, there are some new features that you will want to hear about.
Since this stuff is boring for most of you, I’ll start with the part you really need to pay attention to:
WHAT DO I DO?
SET YOUR ROSTER ON THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH
- Your team page serves as your official roster. On the last day of each month, your roster will lock, meaning that the BOG will (after verifying its legitimacy) enter your team EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS, and this roster will be used to calculate the scoring total for your team.
SELECT YOUR COACHING STYLE
– This feature is new to v4.2. Take advantage of the strengths of your team by choosing one of the 5 categories for added multipliers. These bonuses are entirely based on your exact lineups (ex. Line 1, Line 2, 2nd pair, etc.) and are laid out in detail below in the “NEW TO V4.2” section (and can be found in the rule book). Use the first line of the “Description” section of your team page to make your selection. For example, type “January Coaching style = Balanced”. This will lock and be recorded on the last day of the month along with your roster. If you do not select a style, “Standard” will be selected by default.
NEW TO V4.2
Coaching styles are a new feature that the BOG wanted to add to make things more interactive and to allow for teams to exploit certain areas of strength that GMs have built their rosters upon. To put it simply, think of it giving certain lines and pairings more ice and more value. There are 5 coaching styles:
– aptly named, this is a generic usage strategy for a team that leans on its better players but doesn’t break their backs. 10%, 6%, and 4% bonuses to forward lines 1, 2, and 3, respectively. 10% and 6% bonuses to defense pairs 1 and 2, respectively.
– this strategy is for teams that heavily rely on their top line and top pair. 20% bonus to forward line 1. 20% bonus to defense pair 1.
– Rolling all 4 lines and 3 pairs? 8% bonus to all 4 forward lines and all 3 defensive pairs.
– self-explanatory, good for a team that gets their top 2 lines out there as much as possible. 15% bonuses for forward lines 1 and 2. 6% and 2% bonuses to defense pairs 1 and 2.
– you should get it by now… 20% boost to defense pairs 1 and 2. 6% and 2% bonuses for forward lines 1 and 2.
Pro tip: Don’t stress about your selection here, these bonuses will only swing your total team score by a couple of percentage points. Just pick based on where you think your team strength lies.
Each skater will earn points for their team based on the amount of goals, primary assists, secondary assists, individual expected goals (ixG), hits, blocks, faceoff win/loss, penalties drawn/taken, on-ice goals for/against, on-ice expected goals for/against, and expected goals for/against relative to teammates, and time on ice.
Primary power play points are valued at 80% of the worth of a point scored in any other manner (i.e. EV, PK) and secondary assists on the power play are worth 65%; stats while playing against an empty net valued at 80% similar to PP points. On-ice stats are for 5v5 play only.
Each goalie will earn points for saves and lose points for goals against. They will earn or lose points for goals saved above expected (GSAx). Also, actual save percentage vs expected and vs league average are used. Goalie stats are counted for all situations. If a goalie’s stat line puts him into the negative (mostly due to small sample sizes of extreme underperformance) he will earn zero points.
Points are totaled each period for each line/pair and are multiplied by the bonuses based on your coaching style selection.
Healthy scratches earn 30% of their point totals.
The scoring formula is based on Game Score Game Score Value Added (GSVA) by Dom Luzszcszcsczsczczsyn, with a few tweaks and workarounds.
The scoring is broken into 4 quarters – one per month – for this shortened season. Any roster moves (including line changes or healthy scratch swaps) after the last day of each month will not go into effect until the following month.
January – scoring is tabulated from Jan 13th until Feb 13th. Rosters lock Jan 31st for this period.
February – scoring is tabulated from Feb 14th until Mar 13th. Rosters lock Feb 28th for this period.
March – scoring is tabulated from Mar 14th until April 13th. Rosters lock Mar 31st for this period.
April – scoring is tabulated from Apr 14th until May 13th (or the end of the season). Rosters lock Apr 30th for this period.