Forums/Armchair-GM

Ten reasons why JC is a terrible coach

Created by: Kyle_Davidson
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 15, 2019
Published: Nov. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I could wight an essay as to why I think JC is an moron, but I want to keep it simple for the purposes of this post

Reasons
1. His "system" was a complete and total failure.
2. Upper management had to tell JC how to fix his system, then the hawks started playing good.
3. His lines are terrible, even now they are not fully optimized
4. He waited so long to reunite Strome and Debrincat... He also waited too long to deploy the Strome Cat Kane line.
5. He says dumb things like "Its not the line combos... its the effort" Then immediately changes the lines literally every game after that.
6. He's playing Kirby Dach on a line with Zach Smith and Ryan Carpenter (Carpy is a great role player but should not be playing with skill players)
7. He is playing Nylander ( a skill guy) with Toews and Saad (North South Players) on the top line. There is literally no chemistry between Nylander and Saad and Toews.
8. He has some kind of unconditional love for David Kampf, who is best utilized as a 4th line forward.
9. He does not know how to run a locker room, he preaches that good play leads to wins, but under his old system the Blackhawks played well enough to win and lost a lot of games.
10. He refuses to give Kubalik a look on the top line, despite him having great chemistry with Saad.
11 (Bonus) He Is a stupid poop face.

Below you will find fully optimized lines (In my opinion) Going to take Drake off concussion protocol because a concussed Cag's is better than Zach Smith when push comes to shove.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$66,801,686$0$6,707,500$14,698,314

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Roviet_Sussia
So you have inside sources that know everything about the organization?

I also assume that you're a head coach for a hockey team?

Impressive.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: Roviet_Sussia
So you have inside sources that know everything about the organization?

I also assume that you're a head coach for a hockey team?

Impressive.

Just listened to Laz and Powers "The Athletic" podcast and I think it was Laz who said he heard from multiple sources that it was not fully JC's decision to change up the system and that there was strongarming from upper management. (If that's what you are looking for an explanation for).

They also spoke about how the locker room was "Like a mourge a couple weeks ago"... I don't know who else that falls on but the coach.
Roviet_Sussia liked this.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Roviet_Sussia
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Just listened to Laz and Powers "The Athletic" podcast and I think it was Laz who said he heard from multiple sources that it was not fully JC's decision to change up the system and that there was strongarming from upper management. (If that's what you are looking for an explanation for).

They also spoke about how the locker room was "Like a mourge a couple weeks ago"... I don't know who else that falls on but the coach.

The locker room was bad because they were losing so much; that probably happens with any coach.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: Roviet_Sussia
The locker room was bad because they were losing so much; that probably happens with any coach.

He promised wins in exchange for good play, they played good and lost. Yeah losing isnt fun, but JC deserves part of the blame.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 1:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He promised wins in exchange for good play, they played good and lost. Yeah losing isnt fun, but JC deserves part of the blame.

Stan...I could suggest a coaching trade with the Leafs......please, pretty please.
exo2769 liked this.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:29 p.m.
I know I’m gonna be the minority when I say this ahead of time.

I say either dach stays on the fourth line or he at least stays with Ryan carpenter. I don’t mind if they’re on the third line together, but that needs to happen. I went back and watched some of the Vegas game, and as good as dach was, carpenter and even smith were even better. Dach should remain with players that work really hard for him. Shaw CAN do that, but even he’s getting on my nerves lately with his play. Nylander, though, I feel like he needs more fourth line time. Nylander and dach still don’t show nearly enough effort on the team. I think dach is perfect playing with guys who can carry the puck 180 feet for Dach and then have dach do the easy work.

As for JC, I agree he is not looking good. I’m not a fan at present and I hate the idea that when I’m praising the team going back to a run and gun offense, it’s because of the management team and not the coach. Something has to change on that front very quickly.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: palhal
Stan...I could suggest a coaching trade with the Leafs......please, pretty please.

Too Funny!
Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
copy paste #11 for reasons 12-100
Nov. 15, 2019 at 2:57 p.m.
exo2769
I agree with most of what was said in the description. Most of those bullet points are just different illustrations of line combinations being the problem. I agree with you about Kualbik. He would be GREAT with Saad/Toews. I want to see that next game for sure.

I would tend to agree with @HatterTParty about Nylander and Dach with respect to no shame being on the 3rd and 4th line. Our reasons as to why we agree with Nylander/Dach being on the lower lines are different...I'm not seeing Smith being better than Dach… BUT, Dach and Nylander and finding more success in the bottom 6. They're scoring points and heck come playoff time 3rd and 4th lines are huge difference makers if they can contribute. If those guys can succeed as rookies down there...I do believe that's a good thing both this year AND the long run. They're both skill guys and can be in the top 6 at some point, but lets not force it. Keep the opposing team's Shutdown lines...FAR FAR away from the rookies. Kane/Debrincat/Strome can handle shutdown players.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: exo2769
I agree with most of what was said in the description. Most of those bullet points are just different illustrations of line combinations being the problem. I agree with you about Kualbik. He would be GREAT with Saad/Toews. I want to see that next game for sure.

I would tend to agree with @HatterTParty about Nylander and Dach with respect to no shame being on the 3rd and 4th line. Our reasons as to why we agree with Nylander/Dach being on the lower lines are different...I'm not seeing Smith being better than Dach… BUT, Dach and Nylander and finding more success in the bottom 6. They're scoring points and heck come playoff time 3rd and 4th lines are huge difference makers if they can contribute. If those guys can succeed as rookies down there...I do believe that's a good thing both this year AND the long run. They're both skill guys and can be in the top 6 at some point, but lets not force it. Keep the opposing team's Shutdown lines...FAR FAR away from the rookies. Kane/Debrincat/Strome can handle shutdown players.

I don’t like Dach only playing 10 minutes a night. I think he would benefit from seeing a bit more.
exo2769 and ChiHawk liked this.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
exo2769
I don’t like Dach only playing 10 minutes a night. I think he would benefit from seeing a bit more.

At a high level, I do agree with this 100%. He was having games in which he only played 7 minutes which is a joke. That's when I was calling for him to be sent to the WHL. I'm ok with ~12 min a game though...IF...he's got a coach in his ear after every single josh darn shift (or everyone other shift...it doesn't have to be literal) teaching him new things. He's got soo much to learn.
ChiHawk liked this.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769

Just for the record, I’m not saying Smith is better than dach. That’s definitely not the case. However, I would argue that smith works much harder than dach. That mostly can be attributed to his experience and dach’s youth. That being said, it stands as the reason I believe dach is starting to get better results.

Also, the minutes issue. This is an issue on Dach I will absolutely agree with everyone on. I do believe dach needs more minutes, regardless of his performance or how the coach feels. Simply put, at 18, he should be playing every second he can get. This is by far the most vital component in his development. I’m not saying he’s gonna be harmed in his development by this, but I am saying I am gonna be concerned going forward if this trend continues. As far as I’m concerned, if this was always the plan (7-10 minutes per night), then why did keep him up at all??? I really fear part of the answer is Stan fearing for his job and needing the pick to matter now, but this isn’t the way.

The combo of these two topics brings me to another tiny issue that is festering in my head. I know I show very little faith in dach. However, one thing i still haven’t been sold on with him is his ability to play in the top six. Not because his skill isn’t good enough, it really is. However, I still see him lacking the work rate it takes to dominate and control games. Smith and carpenter were PERFECT linemates for Dach because they handled so much of the work for him. Obviously, the 2nd is untouchable. I’m still hoping that top line is gonna be toews saad kuba. If one of them is injured, though, I really don’t think dach is good enough with his work ethic (YET) to replace them.

Admittingly, this is something I’ve feared for a while. Dach’s work ethic is something that been lacking since we drafted him. I still don’t think he’ll get any faster than he is now, but mix that with his work ethic, I don’t know how he can take over games the way they want him to. That’s what a top six player needs to do.
exo2769 liked this.
Nov. 15, 2019 at 4:31 p.m.
exo2769
@HatterTParty I would have been ok with Dach going down, but he's here...so it is what it is at this point. I agree with you about the work ethic, but to me it's more once the "games slows down for him" that's when more purposeful strides and assertive plays get made. That's when his skill set with shine and he'll be more suited for a top six role. I don't mean a literal skate speed when I say slow down. I just mean when things start to become natural. He doesn't need to stop and think about what he's supposed to be doing...he just does things. make sense? (you don't have to agree, I'm just not sure I'm being clear is all) 7 minutes is way to low. 10's light. I'm just not sure he was EVER going to get 17 minutes a game considering Toews/Kane/Strome/Debrincat were always going to be in your top 6. Maybe all that means is more support for him being sent down, but again...that ship has sailed. Good thoughts! thanks for the clarification.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll