Forums/Armchair-GM

An Oilers perspective TLDR

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2019-20 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 18, 2019
Published: Nov. 18, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This might be the year to take an L before the Flames get waxed in the first round again.

I say that not as some spiteful Oilers fan still bent on rubbing the Neal-Lucic trade in your noses for the millionth time (thanks again btw), but as a jaded Oilers fan who spends more time thinking about how to fix other teams because he still believes his is hopeless. That said, my takeaways from this organization are such:

1. Upper management has failed and cannot be trusted to right the ship
2. Likewise for the coaching staff
3. There is too much "good" on this roster to completely blow it up and rebuild
4. The assets aren't there to make a legitimate run at the thing (too many holes, not enough to sell on)
5. There are desirable assets on the roster that will fetch positive returns for the organization

I'm probably way out to lunch on some of the values, but the idea here is to "St. Louis" the season where you trade the expiring assets that would otherwise help the team make the playoffs in favour of the team being better in the future. The priority is scorched earth throughout the upper management. Ride this group until April, gut everything, and run their scouting list against the McKenzie list. The USNTP is full of fresh minds, assistant GMs that are ready to make the leap exist, and there are coaches in the AHL (Keefe would be an excellent target if he isn't coaching the Leafs by the end of the week). Any combination of hockey men and calculators has to be more effective than the Treleving regime: a scouting staff that's burned through first round selections over the past decade without producing more than 5 NHL-regulars and a pro staff that agreed to acquiring Lucic is inexcusable.

Replacing management and coaching is more of a down-the-road solution though; on-ice deployment and personnel are going to dictate how well the Flames perform in the short-term.

Now, that said, something like a Gaudreau trade should be off the table. Spending assets to upgrade on Talbot, Frolik, or Stone should be off the table. Selling on these assets - if it can be done - for any return that nets you more draft capital is a good move. If there's no desire to extend Brodie or Hamonic, sell on them early and maximize how much value you can extract from them. My trades are just examples, but I'm starting to think that the Leafs are getting desperate enough to consider such a deal. The ship has sailed on Bennett - I've based the value on less than Puljujarvi factoring for age, contract, and tenure - and the Flames should be looking to just get some value back for him. Ho-Sang is a zero-risk move, and I genuinely believe that putting a skilled player in a skilled position will result in positive production. If he clicks, he's found money.

At the draft, look to find a legitimate #2C. If Lundell falls far enough (or if the Flames fall enough), he's your guy. Nothing in the organizational depth chart screams "I'm a top-6 center at the NHL level". Backlund and Dube can manage it by committee for the year or two that Lundell may need to develop. Askarov would also seem like a really good option, but I don't think he would be ready soon enough for the Flames to still be able to contend with everyone on their current deals. Use the remainder of the picks to build the prospect pool further, focus on BPA.

The Flames are probably going to have to take a legitimate run at Holtby or Lehner in the offseason. BSD still to me doesn't seem like the guy you'd ride to a championship, but the guy you want backing up the other guy in case he goes down. Past UFA experience be damned, the need for a goaltender on this roster is one of the biggest needs for this team. If Ho-Sang doesn't stick, I don't have a good idea off the top of my head for a top-6 RW that fits this team. Virtanen on the top line a la Kassian in Edmonton and push Lindhom onto the second line? I've got nothing. Is there an expiring RFA RW that the Flames could be interested in swapping Backlund for?

Beyond a one-year retool and building off of this summer, boys good luck from up north. The NHL is a better place when both Edmonton and Calgary are good. See you guys in December!
Trades
CGY
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
CGY
  1. Mascherin, Adam
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (DAL)
CGY
  1. Ho-Sang, Joshua
  2. 2020 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Frolík, Michael ($2,150,000 retained)
CGY
  1. Abramov, Mikhail [Reserve List]
  2. Ceci, Cody
  3. Robertson, Nicholas
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
CGY
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2021 5th round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Brodie, TJ ($2,325,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$67,408,291$0$322,500$14,091,709
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Islanders
$874,125$874,125
RW, C
UFA - 1
$715,000$715,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 18, 2019 at 6:26 p.m.
These trades are horrible, the team is still in playoff contention and are only a couple points back from where they were last year at this time. It was a bad road trip where the other goalies stood on their heads and carried. Flames are also going through a lot of injuries atm
Nov. 18, 2019 at 6:32 p.m.
I think something needs to change but not this. Bennett, Hamonic, Tkachuk, Gio, Rittich, Andersson and Valimaki (because they are winners IMO) are non-negotiable I think and everybody else is fair game in a trade for valuable pieces back or wait out the rest of the season, trade them at the draft and sign a big FA
Nov. 18, 2019 at 7:13 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: TheFlamingC
I think something needs to change but not this. Bennett, Hamonic, Tkachuk, Gio, Rittich, Andersson and Valimaki (because they are winners IMO) are non-negotiable I think and everybody else is fair game in a trade for valuable pieces back or wait out the rest of the season, trade them at the draft and sign a big FA

Your second sentence conflicts with your first, and your conclusion conflicts with the premise (which I share) that Hamonic is probably on his way elsewhere, This is a team which did not improve over the summer and could benefit from the two second-round values acquired in the proposed Toronto trade in particular. If something isn't done now, this team is going to free-fall like the Kings in 2020-2021.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 7:15 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
This is, as usual, a thoughtful and intelligent analysis. I hope everyone else notes the "I'm probably way out to lunch on some of these" trades and looks at the gist of the ideas and not the nuts-and-bolts. My only critique is (a) I think Brodie will bring more, and (b) please edit the Edmonton trade or otherwise explain the (current) blank there.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 7:31 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
These trades are horrible, the team is still in playoff contention and are only a couple points back from where they were last year at this time. It was a bad road trip where the other goalies stood on their heads and carried. Flames are also going through a lot of injuries atm

Let's take stock then:

Historically, American Thanksgiving is about the cutoff for teams that do and don't make the playoffs. "Real" point percentage is the best tell-tale for this as seen by last season's standings come November 22nd, 2018. The only Western Conference team with a RPt% at or below .500 were the Avalanche (.463). The next lowest total for a playoff-bound team was the .518 Golden Knights. The Eastern Conference only supplants this observation: all eight playoff-bound teams in the east were the top eight teams by RPt%, and in almost the exact same order as the final standings reflected (TBL/BOS/NYI/TOR/CBJ/WAS/CAR/PIT vs what ended up being TBL/BOS/WAS/NYI/TOR/PIT/CAR/CBJ).

Currently, the Flames have a RPt% of 0.391. The only team worse than them in this regard throughout the Western Conference is the Minnesota Wild, a team everyone and their dog saw missing the playoffs this season. Dom Luszczyszyn's projections for the Athletic (while not gospel, are still really good for this kind of analysis) sees the Arizona Coyotes as the final west wildcard with approximately 91 points. While he does have the Flames projected for 92ish points, getting to that point from a .500 record in the course of 59 games is not exactly simple. This is exaggerated by the fact that the Flames go to overtime a LOT (7/23, 30.4% of their games, or realistically, every third game) and that extra point has gone to Western Conference opponents six of those 7 times. Three-point games are fine out east, but they can start to hurt you when you're in your own conference and more so in your own division (twice).

Consider the following:
- The Flames cannot close games out beyond 60 minutes and give away Bettman points like it was Halloween
- Gaudreau is under-performing and it's obviously affecting the Flames' ability to win
- The roster is beat to sh*t
- Talbot might be the least reliable backup in the Western Conference
- Peters can't quit playing Lucic on special teams and in the top 9
- The Flames don't exactly have the assets to burn to plug all of the holes in their roster

If my back of the napkin math is correct, given the Flames' current RPt%, the Coyotes being at the cutoff at just below 91 points, and the Flames looking to match - at minimum - the RPt% of last season's Avalanche, they need a minimum of 27 non-shootout wins in the last 59 games of the season. They would need to find - on top of those 27 non-shootout wins - an additional 14 points in the standings to hit that 91 point mark. They need to be a .576 team for the rest of the season. The question is, given the above list, can they do it?

Injuries happen, and the only solution to them is to wait. Fine. If the Flames - for the time being - cannot rely on Gaudreau to produce at his 99-point pace, then they need to supplement their scoring. How do you upgrade? Toffoli is a risk, and Namestnikov cannot be expected to pass the puck into the net. Do you upgrade on Talbot? How many more wins does a Howard get you? In theory it could work, but do the Flames have the time to take these hail-Mary attempts? The option of "damn making moves for the future, we want to win now" is acceptable sure, but the window is phenomenally short given how much longer Backlund should be expected to perform as a top-6 center or for how long Giordano and the blueline can keep up with other contending teams.

At the end of the day, the main constant that sticks is that Peters should be on his way out: the Flames' current deployment is projecting to finish with a bottom-10 finish, and any hope of picking up the slack will involve changing that deployment at minimum. Given the track record of the amateur and professional scouting since the Flames' run in 2004, cleaning house from top to bottom would be a genuine start to really turning the Flames around. I'm not proposing a 5-year rebuild, but just realizing that this year might end up being a wash. Is it better to maximize how much the team improves at the draft and over the summer or is it more important to generate 2 or 3 games of playoff revenue at the cost of a lesser pick?

Quoting: OldNYIfan
This is, as usual, a thoughtful and intelligent analysis. I hope everyone else notes the "I'm probably way out to lunch on some of these" trades and looks at the gist of the ideas and not the nuts-and-bolts. My only critique is (a) I think Brodie will bring more, and (b) please edit the Edmonton trade or otherwise explain the (current) blank there.

That pick is conditional based on how many goals Neal scores, and he's well on track to meet the condition, so I'm assuming Calgary will get Edmonton's Third Round Selection in 2020.

I think Brodie taking his time getting back from his seizure and his preference to play his off-side might de-value him a bit, but I've been wrong on these things before. I'd bet that by the deadline there will be a team willing to pay a 2nd and 3rd Round Pick for him.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Let's take stock then:

Historically, American Thanksgiving is about the cutoff for teams that do and don't make the playoffs. "Real" point percentage is the best tell-tale for this as seen by last season's standings come November 22nd, 2018. The only Western Conference team with a RPt% at or below .500 were the Avalanche (.463). The next lowest total for a playoff-bound team was the .518 Golden Knights. The Eastern Conference only supplants this observation: all eight playoff-bound teams in the east were the top eight teams by RPt%, and in almost the exact same order as the final standings reflected (TBL/BOS/NYI/TOR/CBJ/WAS/CAR/PIT vs what ended up being TBL/BOS/WAS/NYI/TOR/PIT/CAR/CBJ).

Currently, the Flames have a RPt% of 0.391. The only team worse than them in this regard throughout the Western Conference is the Minnesota Wild, a team everyone and their dog saw missing the playoffs this season. Dom Luszczyszyn's projections for the Athletic (while not gospel, are still really good for this kind of analysis) sees the Arizona Coyotes as the final west wildcard with approximately 91 points. While he does have the Flames projected for 92ish points, getting to that point from a .500 record in the course of 59 games is not exactly simple. This is exaggerated by the fact that the Flames go to overtime a LOT (7/23, 30.4% of their games, or realistically, every third game) and that extra point has gone to Western Conference opponents six of those 7 times. Three-point games are fine out east, but they can start to hurt you when you're in your own conference and more so in your own division (twice).

Consider the following:
- The Flames cannot close games out beyond 60 minutes and give away Bettman points like it was Halloween
- Gaudreau is under-performing and it's obviously affecting the Flames' ability to win
- The roster is beat to sh*t
- Talbot might be the least reliable backup in the Western Conference
- Peters can't quit playing Lucic on special teams and in the top 9
- The Flames don't exactly have the assets to burn to plug all of the holes in their roster

If my back of the napkin math is correct, given the Flames' current RPt%, the Coyotes being at the cutoff at just below 91 points, and the Flames looking to match - at minimum - the RPt% of last season's Avalanche, they need a minimum of 27 non-shootout wins in the last 59 games of the season. They would need to find - on top of those 27 non-shootout wins - an additional 14 points in the standings to hit that 91 point mark. They need to be a .576 team for the rest of the season. The question is, given the above list, can they do it?

Injuries happen, and the only solution to them is to wait. Fine. If the Flames - for the time being - cannot rely on Gaudreau to produce at his 99-point pace, then they need to supplement their scoring. How do you upgrade? Toffoli is a risk, and Namestnikov cannot be expected to pass the puck into the net. Do you upgrade on Talbot? How many more wins does a Howard get you? In theory it could work, but do the Flames have the time to take these hail-Mary attempts? The option of "damn making moves for the future, we want to win now" is acceptable sure, but the window is phenomenally short given how much longer Backlund should be expected to perform as a top-6 center or for how long Giordano and the blueline can keep up with other contending teams.

At the end of the day, the main constant that sticks is that Peters should be on his way out: the Flames' current deployment is projecting to finish with a bottom-10 finish, and any hope of picking up the slack will involve changing that deployment at minimum. Given the track record of the amateur and professional scouting since the Flames' run in 2004, cleaning house from top to bottom would be a genuine start to really turning the Flames around. I'm not proposing a 5-year rebuild, but just realizing that this year might end up being a wash. Is it better to maximize how much the team improves at the draft and over the summer or is it more important to generate 2 or 3 games of playoff revenue at the cost of a lesser pick?

That pick is conditional based on how many goals Neal scores, and he's well on track to meet the condition, so I'm assuming Calgary will get Edmonton's Third Round Selection in 2020.

I think Brodie taking his time getting back from his seizure and his preference to play his off-side might de-value him a bit, but I've been wrong on these things before. I'd bet that by the deadline there will be a team willing to pay a 2nd and 3rd Round Pick for him.

Wow that was a waste of a read, Flames arent selling their assets cheap. Flames are also 4th last in the league in S% which is horrid and should fix itself
Nov. 18, 2019 at 8:26 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Wow that was a waste of a read, Flames arent selling their assets cheap. Flames are also 4th last in the league in S% which is horrid and should fix itself

Shooting percentage - and moreover PDO benders and slumps - have been known to take entire years to sort themselves out. Look at the Islanders last season, their comeuppance still hasn't arrived, and we're a quarter of the way through the season.

Your criticism is weak and apparently so is your knowledge surrounding the Flames' and the reality of their situation.
CD282 liked this.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 8:32 p.m.
Shooting percentage - and moreover PDO benders and slumps - have been known to take entire years to sort themselves out. Look at the Islanders last season, their comeuppance still hasn't arrived, and we're a quarter of the way through the season.

Your criticism is weak and apparently so is your knowledge surrounding the Flames' and the reality of their situation.

No im just not going to take the time to argue with you on horrible trades. Regardless of of they turn it around or miss the playoffs they arent goi g to sell their assets for fractions of what they are worth
Nov. 18, 2019 at 8:35 p.m.
Ban Price trades
No im just not going to take the time to argue with you on horrible trades. Regardless of of they turn it around or miss the playoffs they arent goi g to sell their assets for fractions of what they are worth

Which trades and which players then? These aren't absolute values, just in-the-ballpark ideas for what they could get before the deadline. Or did I miss the memo where every player I traded is worth a first round pick plus? You keep mentioning that the trades are horrible but are yet to identify a single one or why it's bad.

You aren't taking the time to argue that point because you yourself don't have an argument regarding their value.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
Which trades and which players then? These aren't absolute values, just in-the-ballpark ideas for what they could get before the deadline. Or did I miss the memo where every player I traded is worth a first round pick plus? You keep mentioning that the trades are horrible but are yet to identify a single one or why it's bad.

You aren't taking the time to argue that point because you yourself don't have an argument regarding their value.

Flames will never trade Bennett for a 3rd and AHLer regardless of what other teams see he is worth. End of the day hes a middle 6 player with a physical style. Most late 1st end up where he is so trading him for someone who probably wont make the NHL is idiotic.

Frolik trade isnt bad but take out retention and make it a 3rd

Hamonic regardless of his performance this year is still leagues better than Ceci and has the track record to prove it. The 2nd is nice but the 2 prospects dont really help, Flames dont need more left wings when they have Dube and Pelletier in the pool as well.

Brodie is actually having a pretty solid year and is worth a solid prospect and maybe 2 2nds, especially at 50%
Nov. 18, 2019 at 8:57 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Flames will never trade Bennett for a 3rd and AHLer regardless of what other teams see he is worth. End of the day hes a middle 6 player with a physical style. Most late 1st end up where he is so trading him for someone who probably wont make the NHL is idiotic.

Frolik trade isnt bad but take out retention and make it a 3rd

Hamonic regardless of his performance this year is still leagues better than Ceci and has the track record to prove it. The 2nd is nice but the 2 prospects dont really help, Flames dont need more left wings when they have Dube and Pelletier in the pool as well.

Brodie is actually having a pretty solid year and is worth a solid prospect and maybe 2 2nds, especially at 50%

Do you not recognize that Mascherin is a prospect or no?

This is much better feedback, now we can actually argue about values and such. Frolik, considering last year's tantrum and his lack of production, wouldn't warrant a 3rd Round Pick without a 50% retention. Ho-Sang and a 4th Round Pick is equivalent to a 3rd Round Pick, and in this case, you get a maybe roster player out of it too.

Ceci isn't really the main attraction to that trade, but more of a cap casualty. Hamonic might net a 2nd Round Pick and an A-prospect at the deadline (which that's what he's doing here so idk what else to help you with). Abramov is penance for taking Ceci back to make the money work. You could maybe justify adding a 2021 midround pick to this deal, but I don't know if you can juice Toronto for more than that. Sure, I undervalued Brodie, and he probably nets more at the deadline. Point still stands however, that moving him in this scenario is something that needs to happen, especially if the Flames are going to miss a playoff berth.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 18, 2019 at 10:54 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Wow! That's two stupid errors I've made today. With both of my local teams being embarrassed, I should just go to bed.
BeterChiarelli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll