Forums/Armchair-GM

Stamkos worst plus minus on team again

Created by: BOLTLOVER1
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 19, 2019
Published: Nov. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
For someone supposedly having "his best 2 way season" .. I just don't see it. What is weird is he has NHL leading FO% .. to me he gets caught up ice/out of D zone positioning way too much .. which allows other teams better scoring chances and odd man rushes .. Stamkos bad plus minus has been for long time and not just this year .. thoughts?
Trades
TBL
  1. Hall, Taylor
  2. Vatanen, Sami
Additional Details:
Top 6 and Top 4 .. Cup move .. 1 gets resigned
NJD
  1. Gourde, Yanni
  2. Joseph, Mathieu
  3. Sergachev, Mikhail
Additional Details:
NJ should be all over this for future
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,346,666$0$330,000$3,153,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$2,437,500$2,437,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
You realize how dumb you look do you? "As I stated before when someone is a -10 or a bigger minus multiple years its not a coincidence" 2017-2018 season -23 and 2015-16 season -16. So by your logic, he's bad defensively because he had 2 seasons with -10+. "ROR only had two years like that. While being on a horrible team back then he was either a plus or barely in the minus category." Had a -23 and -16 years. Plus minus is a horrible stat to use. You're probably one of those fans who also use goalie wins to judge goalies lmao

You are twisting my words buddy. Read again what I have said and that'll answer all your stupid questions.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: The_Ultimate_Pielord
Don't cite trophies as evidence of anything. Kopitar won a Selke for his offence. Vasilevskiy's Vezina was almost literally a participation trophy, he got it for being the goalie for the Lightning more than his actual play. And, most relevantly, we want evidence that is relevant to every player in the league, not the tiny fraction that get these trophies.

The better evidence for +/- based logic being wrong is that +/- is a bad stat that tells us more about the situation a player is placed in than anything about the player themselves. ROR was always a very good player, but in Buffalo was forced to eat tough minutes alongside awful teammates. He's a very good 2-way centre (20th in EVD GAR since the start of the 2016-17 season), but not on the level of a guy like Mikko Koivu (whose EVD GAR is double O'Reilly's over that timeframe). For those wondering, he ranked 13th last year among skaters with over 1000 minutes, while Mark Stone ranked first.

So when Kopitar won it the season he was below ppg, did he still win it based on offense?
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bf3351
You are twisting my words buddy. Read again what I have said and that'll answer all your stupid questions.

You said its not a coincidence when a player has multiple seasons when he's minus 10 or more, correct?
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:36 p.m.
I put math in hockey
Don't cite trophies as evidence of anything. Kopitar won a Selke for his offence. Vasilevskiy's Vezina was almost literally a participation trophy, he got it for being the goalie for the Lightning more than his actual play. And, most relevantly, we want evidence that is relevant to every player in the league, not the tiny fraction that get these trophies.

The better evidence for +/- based logic being wrong is that +/- is a bad stat that tells us more about the situation a player is placed in than anything about the player themselves. ROR was always a very good player, but in Buffalo was forced to eat tough minutes alongside awful teammates. He's a very good 2-way centre (20th in EVD GAR since the start of the 2016-17 season), but not on the level of a guy like Mikko Koivu (whose EVD GAR is double O'Reilly's over that timeframe). For those wondering, he ranked 13th last year among skaters with over 1000 minutes, while Mark Stone ranked first.

Whoops, that was even-strength minutes, not all minutes. ROR actually ranked 31st among skaters with over 1000 minutes, with Stone continuing to hold the top. Interestingly, Jesperi Kotkaniemi ranked #3 when I changed the cutoff. Weird how he didn't really get any Calder buzz.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:39 p.m.
BOLT LOVER
Edited Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:51 p.m.
There is a 2 to 4 year lag using a 95% regression analysis on winning the hardware .. LOL .. many trophies are reputation based rather than deserved ..
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:46 p.m.
How so?.....

It's been proven to be one of the most flawed stats in the game. How are you gonna gauge one player and a goal against when there's 4 others out there?
Random2152 liked this.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:49 p.m.
BOLT LOVER
PLEASE follow this thread to learn how it is relevant .. but imperfect .. as is every stat in isolation . to call it useless is mornonic .. try reading a book on probability and statistics .. they probably make one in crayon .. LOL
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:49 p.m.
I put math in hockey
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
So when Kopitar won it the season he was below ppg, did he still win it based on offense?

Compared to competitors, yeah. The league leader in EVD GAR among forwards in 2015-16 was Pavel Datsyuk (at age 37, oh my god that man), who put up 25 fewer points than Kopitar. After him was Nino Nieddereiter (31 below), Patrik Hornqvist (23 below) and Mikko Koivu (34 below). Even if you want to make the argument that the first 3 weren't used as true shutdown forwards, Koivu definitely was. Kopitar, meanwhile, ranked a majestic 56th in EVD GAR, between Nikolay Kulemin and Carl Soderberg.

His most recent Selke win the leader was Koivu, who he had 47 points on. After Koivu were Coleman (67 point difference), Danton Heinen (45 points) and Riley Nash (51 point difference). The leader among non-Koivu guys with >1500 all-sits minutes was Henrik Zetterberg (35 point difference). Kopitar ranked 51st, tied with Blake Comeau and Charles Hudon.

All of this is with a TOI cutoff of 1000 all-situations minutes unless otherwise stated.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
I put math in hockey
Fun fact: both Datsyuk and Zetterberg left the NHL after their age-37 season and both of them led the league in EVD GAR among players who played as many or more minutes than them.

Christ that Red Wings core was good.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:53 p.m.
BOLT LOVER
Perfect example how any stat is flawed ..
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:56 p.m.
Banned

Ok, but that doesn't make the stat useless. Let's talk about Dion Phaneuf. They've been on good defensive teams in the past, yet horrible defensively and there's a big fat minus next to their name all the time. Does that make +/- irrelevant? +/- isn't always cut and dry. It takes someone with common hockey sense to fill in the blanks. Doughty for example. One of the best defensemen in the league when it comes to his defensive ability. Yet he had a horrible -34 next to his name and if you watched him he deserved most of those minuses by not playing well. I take the entire Kings team in to consideration as well as the terrible partner he had named Derek Forbort. If +/- was pointless it wouldn't be an NHL stat.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 9:59 p.m.
Banned
Compared to competitors, yeah. The league leader in EVD GAR among forwards in 2015-16 was Pavel Datsyuk (at age 37, oh my god that man), who put up 25 fewer points than Kopitar. After him was Nino Nieddereiter (31 below), Patrik Hornqvist (23 below) and Mikko Koivu (34 below). Even if you want to make the argument that the first 3 weren't used as true shutdown forwards, Koivu definitely was. Kopitar, meanwhile, ranked a majestic 56th in EVD GAR, between Nikolay Kulemin and Carl Soderberg.

His most recent Selke win the leader was Koivu, who he had 47 points on. After Koivu were Coleman (67 point difference), Danton Heinen (45 points) and Riley Nash (51 point difference). The leader among non-Koivu guys with >1500 all-sits minutes was Henrik Zetterberg (35 point difference). Kopitar ranked 51st, tied with Blake Comeau and Charles Hudon.

All of this is with a TOI cutoff of 1000 all-situations minutes unless otherwise stated.

Everybody who wins a selke puts up a lot of points dude... Putting up points while being incredible in your own end makes that player even more special because it's hard to do. Kopitar could be the best defensive forward in NHL history if he dropped offense and just shut down the other team...
Nov. 19, 2019 at 10:09 p.m.
I put math in hockey
Everybody who wins a selke puts up a lot of points dude... Putting up points while being incredible in your own end makes that player even more special because it's hard to do. Kopitar could be the best defensive forward in NHL history if he dropped offense and just shut down the other team...

"The Frank J. Selke Trophy is an annual award given 'to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game.'"-NHL.com https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-frank-j-selke-trophy-winners-complete-list/c-287904026?tid=287709666

Points are not an aspect of defense.

I will die upon this hill, possibly wearing a Mikko Koivu jersey. I blame the Younggrens.

Ok, but that doesn't make the stat useless. Let's talk about Dion Phaneuf. They've been on good defensive teams in the past, yet horrible defensively and there's a big fat minus next to their name all the time. Does that make +/- irrelevant? +/- isn't always cut and dry. It takes someone with common hockey sense to fill in the blanks. Doughty for example. One of the best defensemen in the league when it comes to his defensive ability. Yet he had a horrible -34 next to his name and if you watched him he deserved most of those minuses by not playing well. I take the entire Kings team in to consideration as well as the terrible partner he had named Derek Forbort. If +/- was pointless it wouldn't be an NHL stat.

The issue is that RAPMs do the exact same job but better. So do variants of 5v5 GF%. There's no reason to use +/- with the stats we have now.

A lot of the classic NHL boxcars are weird. Why do the first 2 passers and the goal scorer get credit on a goal, but nobody else on the ice? Why not just the first pass, like in basketball? Why factor special teams goals in only one direction? Why include empty-net stuff at all? These ideas face less scrutiny than any component of RAPMs or even GF% or CF%.

+/- is better than nothing, but it's a LOT worse than modern regression models. It'll catch some players, but it'll miss some too (Taylor Hall's always been good defensively, but his plus/minuses have typically been very bad). It's not quite in "even a broken clock is right twice a day" territory, but there's no reason to use a clock that ticks erratically when a better clock is right there.
Random2152 liked this.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 10:16 p.m.
BOLT LOVER
Edited Nov. 19, 2019 at 10:22 p.m.
Disagree there .. if you factor in team performance/mis performance .. plus minus is a good one but not perfect as none are .. some of the more "modern stats ones" look better on paper but not on the ice .. thxs for interesting conversation .. still perplexed on the special teams approach which makes no sense .. open net is also probably skewed against PP players as PP guys usually on ice at end ..
Nov. 20, 2019 at 12:10 a.m.
Banned
"The Frank J. Selke Trophy is an annual award given 'to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game.'"-NHL.com https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-frank-j-selke-trophy-winners-complete-list/c-287904026?tid=287709666

Points are not an aspect of defense.

I will die upon this hill, possibly wearing a Mikko Koivu jersey. I blame the Younggrens.

The issue is that RAPMs do the exact same job but better. So do variants of 5v5 GF%. There's no reason to use +/- with the stats we have now.

A lot of the classic NHL boxcars are weird. Why do the first 2 passers and the goal scorer get credit on a goal, but nobody else on the ice? Why not just the first pass, like in basketball? Why factor special teams goals in only one direction? Why include empty-net stuff at all? These ideas face less scrutiny than any component of RAPMs or even GF% or CF%.

+/- is better than nothing, but it's a LOT worse than modern regression models. It'll catch some players, but it'll miss some too (Taylor Hall's always been good defensively, but his plus/minuses have typically been very bad). It's not quite in "even a broken clock is right twice a day" territory, but there's no reason to use a clock that ticks erratically when a better clock is right there.

You can get your point across with like 300 less words. I'm sorry, what player in recent history has won the selke trophy that hasn't put up a lot of points. Your opinion does not matter. It's the way it is.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Are you stupid? When someone is a minus multiple times and by more than -10 it's not a coincidence. They are bad defensively.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you put weight in +/-
Anyone that knows anything (even the most rudimentary stats and knowledge of them) knows +/- means almost nothing.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 1:07 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Nov. 20, 2019 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: BOLTLOVER1
AGAIN the plus minus haters are out with NEVER a quantatative reason why they do .. some advice in life .. if u cant add any value just stay quiet .. my point remains .. even worse is the moron above who says FO% doesnt count .. would someone who actually played hockey opine on plus/minus in terms of other stats .. 5V 5 expected goals Corsi etc.. as long as sample size is big enough to discard it is moronic

shot_rates_post_faceoff_medium.png
"In the long-run, shot rates ultimately converge regardless of whether the faceoff is won or lost"
"a team needs to win 164 additional power-play or penalty-kill faceoffs to get one additional win. But a team typically only takes 790 such faceoffs per season, so it would be virtually impossible to win 164 more faceoffs."

And I will just let you read this yourself on +/-.

"The weakest players are not given enough ice time to accumulate the large negative values in plus/minus. The most negative players are typically have some combination playing lots of minutes, playing for weaker teams, and carrying a low PDO. They are very rarely the worst negative players relative to ice time as well."

"What does a player with +5 rating tell you? Well that the team scored 5 more goals with them on the ice than the opposition scored (…well, not exactly, since this would be excluding power play goals for and short handed goals against as we noted earlier).

How good is that though?

Is the skater +5/-0, or +10/-5, or +15/-10, or +20/-15, or +25/-20,… +50/-45. That scale is a team controlling 100% of the goals, 66.7%, 60%, 57%, 56%,… 53%. Those are some huge differences in performance."

"even in the large samples, plus/minus fails to properly measure outscoring."

But sure, I, the informed one here is the idiot. The people saying these stats suck are always citing quantitative data.

Another thing I'd like to add is that while I did play hockey at a high level myself, you don't need to in order to know that **** stats are ****. You just need not be an obtuse idiot.

If you are going to call someone a moron and dispute their point while being a moron yourself, have the balls to @ them.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.
Banned
You can get your point across with like 300 less words. I'm sorry, what player in recent history has won the selke trophy that hasn't put up a lot of points. Your opinion does not matter. It's the way it is.

Bergeron with 53 points. You continue to look stupid.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 7:54 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
Edited Nov. 20, 2019 at 8:17 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
shot_rates_post_faceoff_medium.png
"In the long-run, shot rates ultimately converge regardless of whether the faceoff is won or lost"
"a team needs to win 164 additional power-play or penalty-kill faceoffs to get one additional win. But a team typically only takes 790 such faceoffs per season, so it would be virtually impossible to win 164 more faceoffs."

And I will just let you read this yourself on +/-.

"The weakest players are not given enough ice time to accumulate the large negative values in plus/minus. The most negative players are typically have some combination playing lots of minutes, playing for weaker teams, and carrying a low PDO. They are very rarely the worst negative players relative to ice time as well."

"What does a player with +5 rating tell you? Well that the team scored 5 more goals with them on the ice than the opposition scored (…well, not exactly, since this would be excluding power play goals for and short handed goals against as we noted earlier).

How good is that though?

Is the skater +5/-0, or +10/-5, or +15/-10, or +20/-15, or +25/-20,… +50/-45. That scale is a team controlling 100% of the goals, 66.7%, 60%, 57%, 56%,… 53%. Those are some huge differences in performance."

"even in the large samples, plus/minus fails to properly measure outscoring."

But sure, I, the informed one here is the idiot. The people saying these stats suck are always citing quantitative data.

Another thing I'd like to add is that while I did play hockey at a high level myself, you don't need to in order to know that **** stats are ****. You just need not be an obtuse idiot.

If you are going to call someone a moron and dispute their point while being a moron yourself, have the balls to @ them.

Your logic is just plain flawed .. " .. Even with adequate sample size plus minus does not measure "out scoring"??? .. LOL .. "out scoring as opposed to in scoring"?.. LOL .. I concede special teams effects plus/minus negatively but other than that .. it is a valid measure within a team given appropriate sample size .. I hereby end this discussion .. thanks to Pielord for insight and proving the correlation between measures that Stamkos is now "an average at best" player .. the original intent of this post .. later morons.. ??
Nov. 20, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: BOLTLOVER1
Your logic is just plain flawed .. " .. Even with adequate sample size plus minus does not measure "out scoring"??? .. LOL .. "out scoring as opposed to in scoring"?.. LOL .. I concede special teams effects plus/minus negatively but other than that .. it is a valid measure within a team given appropriate sample size .. I hereby end this discussion .. thanks to Pielord for insight and proving the correlation between measures that Stamkos is now "an average at best" player .. the original intent of this post .. later morons.. ??

Boy. You're a special one aren't you?
BOLTLOVER1 liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 5:43 p.m.
I put math in hockey

You're right that points are generally a necessity to win the Selke and without a PHWA membership there's not a ton I can do.Doesn't mean I have to like it tho.

5v5 plus minus does have it's defenders but IMO there are are better options out there. GF% does the same job better in most situations since it controls for TOI and avoids over/under-rating players based on how high/low-event they are, and then it's always a good idea to control for context if you're looking for individual ability. FO% isn't completely worthless in terms of tactics, but it's not a big enough impact to be a significant part of a player's game. The 164 win marker is a little flawed, some faceoffs have more value than others (again, FO% is mostly useful for tactical choices as opposed to roster moves), but if a guy's only skill is winning faceoffs, you shouldn't go hunting for him (looking at you, Jim Benning).

Random, what are you using to get the charts to show up on CF?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll