Published: Nov. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
PIT
  1. Barrie, Tyson
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Jarry, Tristan
  2. Schultz, Justin ($2,750,000 retained)
NJD
  1. Galchenyuk, Alex
  2. Hållander, Filip
  3. 2021 1st round pick (PIT)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,374,125$132,500$3,832,500$7,125,875

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 19, 2019 at 11:21 p.m.
claysbar
That much retention and Jarry is gonna have to include more of a return. Not so sure on the others because of the FA status on Tof and Hall.
Nov. 19, 2019 at 11:23 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Shultz is better than Barry. Jarry could probably get a 2nd but why downgrade to help the leafs? Rest of the trades are okay I guess but this team doesn’t need to make moves. They just need to get healthy
Nov. 19, 2019 at 11:42 p.m.
Analytics are good
Barrie is atrocious, no need to get him
Nov. 20, 2019 at 12:08 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
I don't care what anyone says, I like this! Especially Hall. Kinda like Schultz over Barrie tho.
iFishyHD liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 12:24 a.m.
That LA trade is hysterical. Joseph, Bjugstad, and Johnson w/$1M retained... for Toffoli. Flat no. Retaining that much on Johnson makes it illogical to trade him.

Joseph is considerably more than enough for Toffoli alone. Toffoli is barely a 20g 40PT guy. He isn't a star. He's a 3rd liner plus.

I offer Bjugstad and Johnson, maybe a 4th... that's all that he is realistically worth.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 1:08 a.m.
Banned
I don't like the idea of over paying for hall.
I know he'll get a 1st and a prospect, but not that one. Especially when they get Chucky too. That doesn't work for me.

As for as the TOR trade. Jarry for a 2nd is fair, but I don't think they move him. I think they move DeSmith instead.

People panic too much. Schultz was always a sheltered Defense man.
This is nothing new. Remember the cup runs where Sullivan would pull him off the ice after 4 second shifts to avoid the mismatches.
Come on.
What you see right now is the effects of the Letang injury. Because he's not there to swallow up whole minutes. Even though tons of people on here wanted to trade him.
When Letang comes back, Schultz ends up back into a sheltered role with Letang and Marino taking those harder minutes.

Praise be Sullivan put Riikola on the Right side last game. That was a step in the right direction. But that pairing with him and JJ isn't all that strong right now. Riikola is swimming on his off side, but at least it's not JJ so we don't here how awful he is and he's the worse defense man in the league even though he's playing his off side.
But you can tell the on ice issues there as Riikola is no better at back handing a pass on his offside than most other defense men......which means he can't.
When you can't go point to point, you suffer. It's having a negative impact on the bottom pairing. Sullivan has to pull his head out his ass and either play chad send chad down and bring in Trotman to play there. Not being able to support on that pairing is not the answer. That goal where Riikola was getting out played on his offside was just painful to watch, you could see it developing. JJ could only stand exactly where he was suppose to be and do nothing. But people will blame him for it.

They just need to keep their head above water here. They got a point. Maybe it's enough. We'll see.
But the answer for the defensive play starts with Letang coming back,
Nov. 20, 2019 at 1:30 a.m.
Schultz without retention could fetch a 1st at the deadline. Why would the pens take a downgrade in Barrie, retain half of Schultz cap hit, and add Jarry (who could fetch a 2nd right now). Especially if we aren’t selling. DeSmith already cleared waivers, there is no hurry to trade a goalie right now.

No reason to retain almost 1/3 of JJ’s contract while paying to get rid of him. Toffoli isn’t worth it. He is a second liner at absolute best. The pens aren’t desperate enough to overpay. They have so much depth that they could honestly stand pat. Tbh the only trade I can see them making is a Bjugstad trade on a sell low/buy low type of trade. Maybe a Galchenyuk trade, but I think he will eventually come around. He is simply a victim of circumstance. He’s flipped between the top 2 lines where his centers have missed significant time.

Like Toffoli, a team is going to overpay for Hall. There is simply no reason to go after him unless they can get him dirt cheap.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 11:01 p.m.
71 or bust
Quoting: claysbar
That much retention and Jarry is gonna have to include more of a return. Not so sure on the others because of the FA status on Tof and Hall.

I imagine Hall would resign here if we reached an ECF, could be wrong, Toffoli would walk in the offseason but the Penguins would have the room for Hall this summer.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Shultz is better than Barry. Jarry could probably get a 2nd but why downgrade to help the leafs? Rest of the trades are okay I guess but this team doesn’t need to make moves. They just need to get healthy

Schultz has been fairly mediocre for us since his first season here, Barrie would excel in our system (maybe/should be different with Babcock out), and if Barrie got back to the level he played at just last year would actually be a noticeable upgrade to Schultz, and would help especially when Letang is out.
Quoting: PenGoater99
Barrie is atrocious, no need to get him

Apparently you didn't watch the last game where Schultz got torched multiple times.
Quoting: Yojimbo
That LA trade is hysterical. Joseph, Bjugstad, and Johnson w/$1M retained... for Toffoli. Flat no. Retaining that much on Johnson makes it illogical to trade him.

Joseph is considerably more than enough for Toffoli alone. Toffoli is barely a 20g 40PT guy. He isn't a star. He's a 3rd liner plus.

I offer Bjugstad and Johnson, maybe a 4th... that's all that he is realistically worth.

Maybe I sold low on Bjustad, but Johnsons contract is brutal. He's been meh this year but losing his contract even retained makes things a lot more breatheable, and Riikola deserves a spot in the top 6. Jack is still pretty bad.
Quoting: pharrow
I don't like the idea of over paying for hall.
I know he'll get a 1st and a prospect, but not that one. Especially when they get Chucky too. That doesn't work for me.

As for as the TOR trade. Jarry for a 2nd is fair, but I don't think they move him. I think they move DeSmith instead.

People panic too much. Schultz was always a sheltered Defense man.
This is nothing new. Remember the cup runs where Sullivan would pull him off the ice after 4 second shifts to avoid the mismatches.
Come on.
What you see right now is the effects of the Letang injury. Because he's not there to swallow up whole minutes. Even though tons of people on here wanted to trade him.
When Letang comes back, Schultz ends up back into a sheltered role with Letang and Marino taking those harder minutes.

Praise be Sullivan put Riikola on the Right side last game. That was a step in the right direction. But that pairing with him and JJ isn't all that strong right now. Riikola is swimming on his off side, but at least it's not JJ so we don't here how awful he is and he's the worse defense man in the league even though he's playing his off side.
But you can tell the on ice issues there as Riikola is no better at back handing a pass on his offside than most other defense men......which means he can't.
When you can't go point to point, you suffer. It's having a negative impact on the bottom pairing. Sullivan has to pull his head out his ass and either play chad send chad down and bring in Trotman to play there. Not being able to support on that pairing is not the answer. That goal where Riikola was getting out played on his offside was just painful to watch, you could see it developing. JJ could only stand exactly where he was suppose to be and do nothing. But people will blame him for it.

They just need to keep their head above water here. They got a point. Maybe it's enough. We'll see.
But the answer for the defensive play starts with Letang coming back,

I would assume Hall could come here with an extension (which the Penguins could afford) if we gave up that much, didn't say that in the notes or anything though because you truly never know. Completely agree with pretty much all you had to say on the defense, however, Schultz getting torched when Letang is gone is a problem, Barrie so far seems to be a victim of poor fit in Toronto, that could be in large part to Babcock like I said earlier. Marino has also been solid, but he is still prone to rookie mistakes which is just what you would expect, but he's not going to be able to eat enough minutes just so Justin Schultz can get favorable matchups. Simply if Schultz plays better theres no reason to trade him, but analytically he's hardly (if at all in stretches) been a top 4 defenseman. I think Barrie would offer more.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 11:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: iFishyHD
I imagine Hall would resign here if we reached an ECF, could be wrong, Toffoli would walk in the offseason but the Penguins would have the room for Hall this summer.

Schultz has been fairly mediocre for us since his first season here, Barrie would excel in our system (maybe/should be different with Babcock out), and if Barrie got back to the level he played at just last year would actually be a noticeable upgrade to Schultz, and would help especially when Letang is out.

Apparently you didn't watch the last game where Schultz got torched multiple times.

Maybe I sold low on Bjustad, but Johnsons contract is brutal. He's been meh this year but losing his contract even retained makes things a lot more breatheable, and Riikola deserves a spot in the top 6. Jack is still pretty bad.

I would assume Hall could come here with an extension (which the Penguins could afford) if we gave up that much, didn't say that in the notes or anything though because you truly never know. Completely agree with pretty much all you had to say on the defense, however, Schultz getting torched when Letang is gone is a problem, Barrie so far seems to be a victim of poor fit in Toronto, that could be in large part to Babcock like I said earlier. Marino has also been solid, but he is still prone to rookie mistakes which is just what you would expect, but he's not going to be able to eat enough minutes just so Justin Schultz can get favorable matchups. Simply if Schultz plays better theres no reason to trade him, but analytically he's hardly (if at all in stretches) been a top 4 defenseman. I think Barrie would offer more.

It is what it is. Most teams have issues when their best Defenseman goes down. I mean if it was a long term thing, I'd be right there and say this isn't going to work. But I think in Schultz you have a known commodity who can play well in that sheltered role, I mean we can agree on that right? So you give up a known commodity for a gamble in some sense. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush.
What they have on the blue line works when it's all healthy. We know that. Just have to hope it stays that way come the playoffs.
Let Schultz get 65%+ starts in the Ozone and go from there.
I'm not sure TOR would make that trade Schultz for Barrie one for one. I think it's a lateral move for both teams. I don't think it solves either teams issues of neither player being more than an offensive defenseman.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 12:17 a.m.
Analytics are good
Quoting: iFishyHD

News flash: two players can be trash at the same time. Schultz for Barrie wouldn't improve the Penguins in any way

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll