Forums/Armchair-GM

Oshie take 2

Created by: Eli
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 20, 2019
Published: Nov. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Some Caps fan posted a version of this that started with Muzzin, and I think that's not happening. I tried posting a version that was good for the Leafs, and neutral parties said I went too far. Is this closer to fair?

Do they have to shave cap, or are there injuries?
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,789,500$0$132,500-$289,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:21 a.m.
SENSAREELITE
Oshie contract is bad and this trade is so bad holy
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
I don't like the leafs but holy that's a terrible trade for them. id rather have Nylander than oshie, and the leafs are also giving up Dermott and Mikheyev?
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:27 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: nobrainsensfan

That's what people said about Weber, the day after the Habs got him for Subban, who has since been traded for three 2nd round picks, while Weber is still playing top pair in Montreal.

How is Oshie like Weber? Tough, ageless, great on defense, great on both special teams, an Olympic hero.

Oshie's lowest single season hits total is 71. Nylander's career total is 70.

Since Nylander's rookie year, Oshie has 49 more goals than Nylander.

Oshie is currently tied for 15th in the NHL with 10 goals. That's more than Nylander, Kadri, or Tavares, but fewer than Matthews, right now.

But mostly Toronto makes this trade because Gudas and Copley get them to the playoffs.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:28 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Dermot and even Mikheyvev could long term cost efficient Leafs, so I can't see them being traded Besides Reilly, Dermot (RFA) is the only "signed" Dman the Leafs have for next year Oshie for four more years...not sure about that, besides his NTC kills the deal.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:29 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: nobrainsensfan

Quoting: Eli
That's what people said about Weber, the day after the Habs got him for Subban, who has since been traded for three 2nd round picks, while Weber is still playing top pair in Montreal.

How is Oshie like Weber? Tough, ageless, great on defense, great on both special teams, an Olympic hero.

Oshie is currently tied for 15th in the NHL with 10 goals. That's more than Nylander, Kadri, or Tavares, but fewer than Matthews, right now.

But mostly Toronto makes this trade because Gudas and Copley get them to the playoffs.

Quoting: palhal
Dermot and even Mikheyvev could long term cost efficient Leafs, so I can't see them being traded Besides Reilly, Dermot (RFA) is the only "signed" Dman the Leafs have for next year Oshie for four more years...not sure about that, besides his NTC kills the deal.

I think the Leafs should trade Mitch Marner for Tom Wilson.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan

I think the Caps don't like paying Marner twice as Wilson anymore than the Leafs do.
Eli liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:37 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: xxxtentacion69
I don't like the leafs but holy that's a terrible trade for them. id rather have Nylander than oshie, and the leafs are also giving up Dermott and Mikheyev?

Now this is the kind of hot take we're used to in conversations about Nylander. Gudas has Dermott's skill (by even strength points), and he'd be the toughest Leaf, and their best penalty killer. That's worth Dermott and Mikheyev. Since Nylander broke into the league, Oshie has 49 more goals than Nylander. When Oshie played 3rd line for a year, he elevated the guys around him, helping Lars Eller set a career high in goals. When Nylander played 3rd line last year, he was bad and the Leafs were still one of the best teams in the league, with Kapanen and others taking over Nylander's role. Oshie for Nylander straight up is like Weber for Subban. Yes, there's an age difference, but the intangibles balance it out.

I threw in Copley and a 3rd to try not to get comments like this. Copley went 16-8-1 last year on a team not quite as good as the Leafs. Don't tell anyone, but he might be better than Andersen.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:40 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: palhal

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Caps give out NTCs that don't have a list of teams that are exceptions. Mikheyev is off to a great start, but lots of rookies start out great and then level off. He's an unknown quanity. Dermott is like a younger Gudas without the toughness. Nylander is like a younger Oshie without the toughness, goal scoring, leadership, penalty killing, Olympic heroism.....
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:43 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Now this is the kind of hot take we're used to in conversations about Nylander. Gudas has Dermott's skill (by even strength points), and he'd be the toughest Leaf, and their best penalty killer. That's worth Dermott and Mikheyev. Since Nylander broke into the league, Oshie has 49 more goals than Nylander. When Oshie played 3rd line for a year, he elevated the guys around him, helping Lars Eller set a career high in goals. When Nylander played 3rd line last year, he was bad and the Leafs were still one of the best teams in the league, with Kapanen and others taking over Nylander's role. Oshie for Nylander straight up is like Weber for Subban. Yes, there's an age difference, but the intangibles balance it out.

I threw in Copley and a 3rd to try not to get comments like this. Copley went 16-8-1 last year on a team not quite as good as the Leafs. Don't tell anyone, but he might be better than Andersen.

Sorry Eli, Dermot alone is worth a ton more than UFA Gudas. Dermot just might be the Leafs best Dman ...yeah despite playing just 10 games. Even if this horrid losing streak the Leafs are on and Dermot and has been playing in them, his 10 game total......he's a plus 6.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:43 a.m.
Banned

Another classic, can you trade me this player who isn't good for this player who is amazing, I know he's old but he's amazing and much better than the player I am trading him for.

No you are not getting Nylander, if it was that package alone for Nylander it wouldn't probably work. Oshie is old and his contract is bad and it will only get worse. Just stop this nonsense.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:44 a.m.
Who adds what?

Gudas hits as much as Wilson, and kills more penalties. Oshie scores more goals than Wilson, with just as many coming from just as close. In a salary cap world, this is the next best thing.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:45 a.m.
Banned

So if Oshie is so good, why are you trading him? I am going to wager a guess and say its because Nylander is younger and has a tonne of skill and you'd like to add some younger high skilled pieces to your aging squad. Just so you know, TO isn't really in the game of moving high value young players for older low value future cap anchors and overrated depth pieces.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:46 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Another classic, can you trade me this player who isn't good for this player who is amazing, I know he's old but he's amazing and much better than the player I am trading him for.

No you are not getting Nylander, if it was that package alone for Nylander it wouldn't probably work. Oshie is old and his contract is bad and it will only get worse. Just stop this nonsense.

People forget that Nylander is worth more than Marner.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:46 a.m.
Who adds what?

Okay. Go try and get Kadri back, then. Fact is, the Leafs were a lot better with one more nasty old dude who can score 30 goals in a good year than they are with one less. A lot better. It's not close. Nylander is a replaceable spare part with great upside.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
Banned
People forget that Nylander is worth more than Marner.

No body thinks that.
Eli liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
Who adds what?
So if Oshie is so good, why are you trading him? I am going to wager a guess and say its because Nylander is younger and has a tonne of skill and you'd like to add some younger high skilled pieces to your aging squad. Just so you know, TO isn't really in the game of moving high value young players for older low value future cap anchors and overrated depth pieces.

Backstrom and Nylander are friends, and yeah, Oshie is only going to stay better than Nylander for another two or three years, most likely. On the other hand, Johnsson, Kapanen, Tymashov and Bracco are also young and improving, so the Leafs get to more postseasons if they make this trade than if they don't.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:49 a.m.
Banned
No body thinks that.

Well...I do. He may not be equivalent ability wise but that contract makes him one of the most valuable players in the league.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Banned
Okay. Go try and get Kadri back, then. Fact is, the Leafs were a lot better with one more nasty old dude who can score 30 goals in a good year than they are with one less. A lot better. It's not close. Nylander is a replaceable spare part with great upside.

If that is really what you believe why are you trading Oshie for Nylander? Personally when I think about trades, I target things I value and try to move things that aren't as useful for the asset I think is needed. Since that is, you know, the only reason why anyone has ever wanted to make a trade, I think you must feel the same way. So if Oshie is so amazing and Nylander is just average depth, why do you want to trade for him?
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Banned

Nylander is worth either a top pick, a top line forward or a top defenseman. He is that valuable according to Leaf fans.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
Banned
Backstrom and Nylander are friends, and yeah, Oshie is only going to stay better than Nylander for another two or three years, most likely. On the other hand, Johnsson, Kapanen, Tymashov and Bracco are also young and improving, so the Leafs get to more postseasons if they make this trade than if they don't.

So if we carve away all that non sense about inferior depth players, the answer is Nylander is definitely a more valuable asset and will hold way more value than a guy on the wrong side of 30 that could start declining any season now and still has what 6 years of term or something like that? Yeah your motivations are as transparent as can be. If you are going to target the Leafs for a trade, at least try to make it sensible. Moving a 32 year old for a 23 year old is not sensible.

And I am not even talking about the rest of the trade which could be even worse! Gudas is nothing special, he's a better version of Roman Polak. Dermott is 23 and is already one of the better defenceman on the Leafs and will be a huge piece moving forward. Gudas is not anything close to that. And you also want Mikheyev? For what a backup goalie? No thanks at all. This is all just garbage.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:55 a.m.
Who adds what?
If that is really what you believe why are you trading Oshie for Nylander? Personally when I think about trades, I target things I value and try to move things that aren't as useful for the asset I think is needed. Since that is, you know, the only reason why anyone has ever wanted to make a trade, I think you must feel the same way. So if Oshie is so amazing and Nylander is just average depth, why do you want to trade for him?

I think Michael Nylander mentored Backstrom and helped him become one of the Caps' all time greats. I hope that Backstrom could return the favor, with WIlliam, but there are no guarantees. And even if Nylander ends up being as good of a goal scorer as Oshie some day, he will never be as tough as Oshie, who was never as tough as Gudas. The Leafs' defense is all skill, but Muzzin and Hyman are the toughest guys on the team. Obviously Dermott is valuable but there's a limit to how many skill guys can be effective on one team in the current NHL. Now, if you change the rules a bit...
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.
Banned
Nylander is worth either a top pick, a top line forward or a top defenseman. He is that valuable according to Leaf fans.

This is the funny part of non Leaf fans logic on here.

The scenario, "Can I trade you this old player for Nylander?" or "Here is a depth defenceman and a 2nd round pick for Nylander because he had that bad season last year. " Leaf fans answer with, "No, we'll keep Nylander because he's terrific and is only going to get better and he's only 23 and has been our most consistent player this season." The response from non Leaf fans, "All Leaf fans think Nylander is worth McDavid."

Not accepting terrible trades doesn't mean the fans think he's worth way more than he is, they just don't accept garbage like this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.
Who adds what?

Oshie is tied for 15th in goals in the NHL right now, though?
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:57 a.m.
Who adds what?
This is the funny part of non Leaf fans logic on here.

The scenario, "Can I trade you this old player for Nylander?" or "Here is a depth defenceman and a 2nd round pick for Nylander because he had that bad season last year. " Leaf fans answer with, "No, we'll keep Nylander because he's terrific and is only going to get better and he's only 23 and has been our most consistent player this season." The response from non Leaf fans, "All Leaf fans think Nylander is worth McDavid."

Not accepting terrible trades doesn't mean the fans think he's worth way more than he is, they just don't accept garbage like this.

The way things are going he'll be great with Lafreniere. smile
Nov. 20, 2019 at 9:58 a.m.
Banned
I think Michael Nylander mentored Backstrom and helped him become one of the Caps' all time greats. I hope that Backstrom could return the favor, with WIlliam, but there are no guarantees. And even if Nylander ends up being as good of a goal scorer as Oshie some day, he will never be as tough as Oshie, who was never as tough as Gudas. The Leafs' defense is all skill, but Muzzin and Hyman are the toughest guys on the team. Obviously Dermott is valuable but there's a limit to how many skill guys can be effective on one team in the current NHL. Now, if you change the rules a bit...

Enough of all this fluff, the answer is always going to be no. Nylander has been the most consistent offensive player for the Leafs this season and his contract is one of the best on the team. No, I don't care about Backstrom's relationship with Nylander, I don't care what anyone says about Gudas, he isn't anything special and the whole toughness thing is just nonsense.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll