Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic attempt at next season

Created by: joshelkin
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 19, 2019
Published: Nov. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Granlund hasn't played very well in Nashville, but he was a budding 70 point player before getting traded. I chose to sign him to a 3 year deal over Toffoli because Granlund can also play C (insurance for Koivula). I don't see teams lining up to pay Granlund a ridiculous sum of money either. Could be a value FA signing who prospers under Trotz
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
1$925,000
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,000,000
5$6,500,000
4$4,000,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,000,000
Trades
NYI
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (ANA)
ANA
  1. Hickey, Thomas
  2. Ho-Sang, Joshua [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Whoever
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$84,500,000$79,950,000$0$1,175,000$4,550,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 4
$786,666$786,666 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:40 p.m.
A third for two guys that cleared waivers, damn I hate the ducks so I hope they smoke whatever you are and take it.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:45 p.m.
Islanders Fan
Quoting: tryger
A third for two guys that cleared waivers, damn I hate the ducks so I hope they smoke whatever you are and take it.

It's to whoever wants them. Read lol.

And it's not to say either are trash. Hickey is a capable top-6 D who is caught in a numbers game. Isles had 8 NHL defenseman and he was the odd man out. Dobson wasn't going to juniors. And JHS, while admittedly a fool sometimes, still has enough talent to warrant a flyer being taken on him.

It also has to do with WHEN these guys were on waivers. It was final cuts. Teams had to be conscious of the 50 contract limit not to mention their own guys passing through waivers. In the off-season it's much easier to make a move like this.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
I think you are pretty close. Some other things that could take place is moving Leddy for picks as I think Barzal gets 8.5M and the extra cap would be needed. I could also see them re-signing Brassard based on his play right now. My take on next year would be:

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Brassard-Nelson-Beau
Bailey-Koivula-Wahlstrom
Komarov-Czizkas-Clutter
Johnston-Martin

Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Boychuck-Dobson
Hickey

Varly
Sorokin

Dal-Colle- Moved for a 3rd (He can be a good bottom 6 forward, but they have enough of those)
Ho-Sang- Released (I think he will file a grievance soon against the Islanders to trade or release him so he can play somewhere else)
Leddy- Traded at Draft for 2 2nds
Ladd- Either LTIR, or remains in Bridgeport
Greiss- Not re-signed a team will overpay him for 3 years and $12m. I like Griess alot and he has been great for the Isles but his numbers are inflated in this system.

Then the following year with the expansion Draft offer maybe Bellows and a 2nd if Seattle takes Boychuck.
OldNYIfan and niko liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: joshelkin

And it's not to say either are trash. Hickey is a capable top-6 D who is caught in a numbers game. Isles had 8 NHL defenseman and he was the odd man out. Dobson wasn't going to juniors. And JHS, while admittedly a fool sometimes, still has enough talent to warrant a flyer being taken on him.

It also has to do with WHEN these guys were on waivers. It was final cuts. Teams had to be conscious of the 50 contract limit not to mention their own guys passing through waivers. In the off-season it's much easier to make a move like this.

I see exchanges like this so many times that I think CapFriendly should actually have an icon in the trading software for "Any" team. People just don't read Team Explanations or the fine print in trade boxes.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:50 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Warrior24
I think you are pretty close. Some other things that could take place is moving Leddy for picks as I think Barzal gets 8.5M and the extra cap would be needed. I could also see them re-signing Brassard based on his play right now. My take on next year would be:

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Brassard-Nelson-Beau
Bailey-Koivula-Wahlstrom
Komarov-Czizkas-Clutter
Johnston-Martin

Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Boychuck-Dobson
Hickey

Varly
Sorokin

Dal-Colle- Moved for a 3rd (He can be a good bottom 6 forward, but they have enough of those)
Ho-Sang- Released (I think he will file a grievance soon against the Islanders to trade or release him so he can play somewhere else)
Leddy- Traded at Draft for 2 2nds
Ladd- Either LTIR, or remains in Bridgeport
Greiss- Not re-signed a team will overpay him for 3 years and $12m. I like Griess alot and he has been great for the Isles but his numbers are inflated in this system.

Then the following year with the expansion Draft offer maybe Bellows and a 2nd if Seattle takes Boychuck.

Well done.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.

Sorry, "whoever" wasn't exactly clear there, but regardless. I am not sure you would get as much as you are thinking for those two regardless of the time of year.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 6:58 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I like your idea for Granlund. As much as I like my homeboy Toffoli, and although he's become a very good two-way player (frequently used on the PK), I'm under no delusions about his ever reaching 60 points, and I think he wouldn't fit in well on the Island (or with Nashville, for that matter); he'd be much better off in Toronto or Edmonton or Tampa or another team with a lot of fire power. And I know that you know that if Barzal is going to break the bank, then the most likely adjustment would be moving Nick Leddy for @Warrior24 's two seconds. Real nice job.
joshelkin liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 7:13 p.m.
LGI
Granlund never came to mind but he could be a really good signing for the Isles. I like this idea. Slot him 2nd line RW and if a center gets injured put him there and slide the right side players up 1
joshelkin liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 7:22 p.m.
Isles7
1. I think isles will look to lock up Barzal long term

2. Pulock deal seems pretty spot on - maybe slighly less AAV. He gets another big pay day at age 30 and likely not from the isles if Wilde pans out. I'm already confident Dobson will be our best defenseman by next season.

3. I would look to get Devon Toews locked up for more than 4 years. I'm Assuming he's going to be a consistent 50 pt producer who runs the first power play unit, but I really don't want to give any defenseman 7+ years when they're 30 years old.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 20, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
CHI NYI
I like it a lot. Not bullish on trading Leddy, just for everything he brings to this team (skating, shot, leadership, etc.) so I appreciate keeping him.

Barzal's deal will being interesting. As he's playing right now, he's in line for about $9 million over 8 years (just ballparking it). I guess I'd be cool with a low term, lower AAV, but I just have no idea what their plan is for his extension.

Unless he really breaks out, no way Granlund costs $5 million AAV this summer. I could see him taking a short 1-2 year deal to try to up his value at like $3-$4 million maybe. If he's a slightly more expensive Brassard, he could be a fun reclamation project and one that I'm all for.

Really like it
joshelkin and niko liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Islanders Fan
Just gonna address everyone I can in one shot

Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
I like it a lot. Not bullish on trading Leddy, just for everything he brings to this team (skating, shot, leadership, etc.) so I appreciate keeping him.

Barzal's deal will being interesting. As he's playing right now, he's in line for about $9 million over 8 years (just ballparking it). I guess I'd be cool with a low term, lower AAV, but I just have no idea what their plan is for his extension.

Unless he really breaks out, no way Granlund costs $5 million AAV this summer. I could see him taking a short 1-2 year deal to try to up his value at like $3-$4 million maybe. If he's a slightly more expensive Brassard, he could be a fun reclamation project and one that I'm all for.

Really like it

I think you're pretty light on a Barzal extension. I think he's going to be well within his right to ask for $10-11M on an 8 year deal. Lou is a tough negotiator, sure. But doesn't sound like Barzal is interested in giving up UFA years at a discount. IMO a 3 year bridge at $7-7.5M makes the most sense. He gets fair compensation, doesn't give up UFA years and is still an RFA at the end of the bridge. Bad money comes off the books at the same time. Could be in the $12M AAV ballpark by then considering cap increases and his own growth.

You're Granlund point is valid. Maybe $5M is a bit much, but I like the idea of having him for the same amount of time as Barzal. Maximize their time together, especially if the reclamation project goes well. That third year at a cheap number would be huge. But at the end of the day if he wanted a $4x2 I'd give it to him too.

Quoting: Isles777
1. I think isles will look to lock up Barzal long term

2. Pulock deal seems pretty spot on - maybe slighly less AAV. He gets another big pay day at age 30 and likely not from the isles if Wilde pans out. I'm already confident Dobson will be our best defenseman by next season.

3. I would look to get Devon Toews locked up for more than 4 years. I'm Assuming he's going to be a consistent 50 pt producer who runs the first power play unit, but I really don't want to give any defenseman 7+ years when they're 30 years old.

I agree in locking up Toews, but with the way this team shaped out I couldn't figure out a way to free up more cash (I wanted to keep Leddy. Seems to be turning a corner with Trotz's system. Though 20-21 might be the last year we can afford Leds). I think $4x4 is very reasonable for Toews. He will be happy to secure his first real payday at 25. The deal will take him to 29, and if he stays consistent, is in line for a significant raise after that. See above comments for Barzal

Quoting: niko
Granlund never came to mind but he could be a really good signing for the Isles. I like this idea. Slot him 2nd line RW and if a center gets injured put him there and slide the right side players up 1

I think he has the potential to be such a steal. I'm not sure what went wrong in Nashville but I have full confidence in Trotz to turn him around for the better. Plus, the Center flexibility is massive should someone get hurt or Koivula turning out to need more time developing.

Quoting: OldNYIfan
I like your idea for Granlund. As much as I like my homeboy Toffoli, and although he's become a very good two-way player (frequently used on the PK), I'm under no delusions about his ever reaching 60 points, and I think he wouldn't fit in well on the Island (or with Nashville, for that matter); he'd be much better off in Toronto or Edmonton or Tampa or another team with a lot of fire power. And I know that you know that if Barzal is going to break the bank, then the most likely adjustment would be moving Nick Leddy for @Warrior24 's two seconds. Real nice job.

Thank you. I think Granlund would be an excellent fit. Have comments above on both he and Barzal. I agree though. If Barzal is extended long term as opposed to a bridge, you prob will have to trade Leddy. In that case, I'd keep Hickey and put him LD3.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.
Isles7
Just gonna address everyone I can in one shot

I think you're pretty light on a Barzal extension. I think he's going to be well within his right to ask for $10-11M on an 8 year deal. Lou is a tough negotiator, sure. But doesn't sound like Barzal is interested in giving up UFA years at a discount. IMO a 3 year bridge at $7-7.5M makes the most sense. He gets fair compensation, doesn't give up UFA years and is still an RFA at the end of the bridge. Bad money comes off the books at the same time. Could be in the $12M AAV ballpark by then considering cap increases and his own growth.

You're Granlund point is valid. Maybe $5M is a bit much, but I like the idea of having him for the same amount of time as Barzal. Maximize their time together, especially if the reclamation project goes well. That third year at a cheap number would be huge. But at the end of the day if he wanted a $4x2 I'd give it to him too.

I agree in locking up Toews, but with the way this team shaped out I couldn't figure out a way to free up more cash (I wanted to keep Leddy. Seems to be turning a corner with Trotz's system. Though 20-21 might be the last year we can afford Leds). I think $4x4 is very reasonable for Toews. He will be happy to secure his first real payday at 25. The deal will take him to 29, and if he stays consistent, is in line for a significant raise after that. See above comments for Barzal

I think he has the potential to be such a steal. I'm not sure what went wrong in Nashville but I have full confidence in Trotz to turn him around for the better. Plus, the Center flexibility is massive should someone get hurt or Koivula turning out to need more time developing.

Thank you. I think Granlund would be an excellent fit. Have comments above on both he and Barzal. I agree though. If Barzal is extended long term as opposed to a bridge, you prob will have to trade Leddy. In that case, I'd keep Hickey and put him LD3.

I think you do whatever it takes to lock up toews for a minimum of 6 years, even if it means getting rid of Leddy. I see why you’d want to keep, but he is a luxury at this point , and I’d trade him while his value is high. Sebastian aho can have a similar effect if given an opportunity. Like I said, I don’t think it’s smart to sign 30 year old defenseman (toews turns 26 this season) so if he signs for 4 years and continuously puts up 50 pts, he will want 7.5 -8 mill for 7 years. I’d rather move on than give him that. I know that’s 5 years away, but still lol. Pulock I’m fine with giving 5 years because of Dobson and Wilde
joshelkin and OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll