SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Will Toronto Make the Playoffs This Season?

YES or NO?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 21, 2019 at 4:38 a.m.
I'm sure the popular pick is NO at this point, especially given the large constituency of Leafs haters out there. I think they'll see a short term boost from the coaching change, and when Marner returns it'll be game on. The question is: Where will they be in the standings when Marner returns? Will it be too late?

I think TOR and TBL are 2 Eastern Conference teams currently outside the playoff picture that are best suited to make a run. But, the Leafs will probably need to go 37-22 or 15 games over .500 to sneak in. That'll give them 96 points.

I wanna say it's doable, but it's a steep mountain to climb. Tampa has played 5 fewer games and sits only 2 points behind TOR. I'm not sure there's gonna be room for both given the Panthers rise.

Anyway, let me know if they will make the playoffs, and why?
Nov. 21, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Its definitely possible. They are 2 points back of the 2nd wildcard spot (PHI) with 2 more games played, so worst case scenario they would be 6 points back after 23 games played if PHI wins their next 2. It just takes a short PHI losing streak and a short TOR winning streak to make up that difference and the leafs have 59 games to do it.
Brian2016 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 5:55 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I think they do. While coaching changes don't always work out, I really think this one is going to help immensely. This is a team Kyle Dubas has built to be coached by Sheldon Keefe. He's a forward thinking coach who can utilize all the skill on this team. That was never Babcock's style, and as the young stars became leaders, they needed a new voice. Getting back to full health will be huge for them too. I can easily see this team catching fire and getting 16 or 17 wins during a 20 game stretch, and it'll feel like ages ago we were talking about the Leafs potentially missing the playoffs.
Brian2016 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 6:28 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I think they do. While coaching changes don't always work out, I really think this one is going to help immensely. This is a team Kyle Dubas has built to be coached by Sheldon Keefe. He's a forward thinking coach who can utilize all the skill on this team. That was never Babcock's style, and as the young stars became leaders, they needed a new voice. Getting back to full health will be huge for them too. I can easily see this team catching fire and getting 16 or 17 wins during a 20 game stretch, and it'll feel like ages ago we were talking about the Leafs potentially missing the playoffs.

I think that Keefe's first few games behind the bench are extremely important. If they lose they continue to struggle, the pressure will continue to mount. But, the talent level on this roster is ridiculous. I think Tavares will break out soon and Barrie could benefit more than anyone from the coaching change. We'll see what happens.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 2:26 a.m.
Things are starting to look pretty promising. It's not just that they've won their first 2 games with a new coach, it's how they've won. All of the sudden Barrie looks like his old self againLet's see if they can keep things going in the right direction.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 1:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Beginning of the season, I thought they would be in battle for playoff. They just aren't as good as last year especially on defence. Then though the first seven weeks, with injuries and the discouraging effort, I thought for sure out of the playoffs.
Leafs have made the best trade possible Babcock for Keefe...so now I think they make the playoffs. But Leafs can't really afford an injury to to a Dman or goalie.
OldNYIfan and Brian2016 liked this.
Nov. 25, 2019 at 2:32 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Beginning of the season, I thought they would be in battle for playoff. They just aren't as good as last year especially on defence. Then though the first seven weeks, with injuries and the discouraging effort, I thought for sure out of the playoffs.
Leafs have made the best trade possible Babcock for Keefe...so now I think they make the playoffs. But Leafs can't really afford an injury to to a Dman or goalie.

If Freddy ever went down for 4 weeks they'd be finished.
Nov. 25, 2019 at 10:22 p.m.
If the Leafs make the playoffs, does Keefe win the Jack Adams Award? I think he'll def. be a finalist.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
If the Leafs make the playoffs, does Keefe win the Jack Adams Award? I think he'll def. be a finalist.

Leafs on Pace for a current 82 point season. I think its Keefe's award if they go off and make the playoffs. last years mark was 98. thats an additional 8 wins above pace they would have to make up.
Brian2016 liked this.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
Leafs on Pace for a current 82 point season. I think its Keefe's award if they go off and make the playoffs. last years mark was 98. thats an additional 8 wins above pace they would have to make up.

They looked so good in their first 4-5 games, but showed again last night that good teams like Colorado are able to expose the Leafs' defensive weaknesses. I still think they have an excellent chance to figure things out, but they're gonna need to score a lot of goals. Freddy will need to stay healthy and play a ridiculous number of games and Marner is gonna have to be elite. Otherwise, I think we'll see one of the core Forwards traded next summer.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 1:37 p.m.
torontos finest
They looked so good in their first 4-5 games, but showed again last night that good teams like Colorado are able to expose the Leafs' defensive weaknesses. I still think they have an excellent chance to figure things out, but they're gonna need to score a lot of goals. Freddy will need to stay healthy and play a ridiculous number of games and Marner is gonna have to be elite. Otherwise, I think we'll see one of the core Forwards traded next summer.

Except the team wasn't defensively weak yesterday???? They got stonewalled by Grubauer and ended up losing because of a freak incident.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Except the team wasn't defensively weak yesterday???? They got stonewalled by Grubauer and ended up losing because of a freak incident.

You're correct about last night, but they gave up 6 the night before. They've also allowed the 2nd most GA in the NHL this season, although they've played 3 more games than the Devils.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
torontos finest
You're correct about last night, but they gave up 6 the night before. They've also allowed the 2nd most GA in the NHL this season, although they've played 3 more games than the Devils.

same thing was happening in the philadelphia game. good until they all decided to give up when it was 2-1.

Mentality has been a huge issue for them this season, and it's something I think Keefe has to work through. Either way, the more games they drop the more difficult road they have to the playoffs.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
same thing was happening in the philadelphia game. good until they all decided to give up when it was 2-1.

Mentality has been a huge issue for them this season, and it's something I think Keefe has to work through. Either way, the more games they drop the more difficult road they have to the playoffs.

which is why i said at a 98 point playoff mark: its keefes award to win since they need to essentially make up 8 wins.
Brian2016 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
When you use the same yardstick to measure all of the teams in the Atlantic Division, the picture isn't so bleak. After one third of the season (each team's record at 27 games), Boston was out in front with 43 points, Tampa and Florida had 31, Buffalo had 29 and Montreal and Toronto had 28, and the second wild-card in the Conference (Pittsburgh) had 32. Catching Florida is a matter of winning two more games than the Panthers over 55 while staying ahead of Buffalo and Montreal.

By the way, Toronto's much-maligned defense had given up 91 goals in 27 games. Montreal had yielded 96 and Florida 97.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit