Forums/Armchair-GM

Babcock was the first move

Created by: clapperzzz11
Initial Creation Date: Nov 21, 2019
Published: Nov 21, 2019 at 8:48 am
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Explanation
I think fired Mike Babcock was the first and more easy move to do with all the stars on this team. If things don't change I think there's a problem in the room and it's start with Matthews
Trades
TOR
  1. Hayton, Barrett
  2. Chychrun, Jakob
  3. Raanta, Antti
  4. 2020 1st round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Matthews, Auston
  2. Hutchinson, Michael
TOR
  1. 2021 4th round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Ceci, Cody
Buyouts
  • Mikhail Grabovski: $0
Retained Salary Transactions
  • Phil Kessel: $1,200,000 (15%)
  • Robin Lehner: $1,100,000 (22%)
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
ARI
TOR
CBJ
TOR
VGK
TOR
CAR
COL
EDM
SJS
STL
WPG
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
WPG
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,082,310$0$1,420,000$5,417,690
Left WingCenterRight Wing
TOR
Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 2
TOR
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
TOR
Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
TOR
Johnsson, Andreas
$3,400,000
LW
UFA - 4
TOR
Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 5
TOR
Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 3
TOR
Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
ARI
Hayton, Barrett
$894,167
C
RFA - 3
TOR
Mikheyev, Ilya
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
TOR
Timashov, Dmytro
$694,444
LW
RFA - 1
TOR
Spezza, Jason
$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
TOR
Moore, Trevor
$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
TOR
Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
ARI
Chychrun, Jakob
$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 6
TOR
Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 2
TOR
Muzzin, Jake
$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
TOR
Barrie, Tyson
$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ARI
Raanta, Antti
$4,250,000
G
UFA - 2
TOR
Dermott, Travis
$863,333
LD
RFA - 1
TOR
Holl, Justin
$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
TOR
Gauthier, Frédérik
$675,000
C
RFA - 1
TOR
Horton, Nathan
$5,300,000
RW
NMC NTC
UFA - 1
TOR
Petan, Nicolas
$775,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 2
TOR
Clarkson, David
$5,250,000
RW
NMC NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:54
The Enlightened One
And why do you think it starts with mats lol? By all reports he is well liked
Nov 21, 2019 at 9:00
Quoting: Random2152
And why do you think it starts with mats lol? By all reports he is well liked

I don't think he's a big big problem, but i think he's like a show off guy, he know he's one of the best player in this league. Babcock gives C to Tavares before Matthews and i think he's not happy with that decision. But this is just my thought. It can completely change with Keefe HC.
Nov 21, 2019 at 9:08
Marner Stan Account
Quoting: clapperzzz11
I don't think he's a big big problem, but i think he's like a show off guy, he know he's one of the best player in this league. Babcock gives C to Tavares before Matthews and i think he's not happy with that decision. But this is just my thought. It can completely change with Keefe HC.

But everyone knows that Tavares is the best player on the Leafs. He was the one who helped Marner achieve 94 points, not Matthews. Matthews is the better goal scorer, but Tavares has always been more dynamic and influential overall.
Nov 21, 2019 at 9:13
NoBrodinGhostLeddy
If you really want to trade Matthews, the trade would go like this

To EDM: A. Matthews, M. Marner ($1 893 000 retained)
To TOR: C. McDavid, R. Nugent-Hopkins ($2 000 000 retained), 2nd round pick in whichever year

I think
Plus this all depends on if TOR were willing to trade Matthews and Marner, and if EDM would be willing to trade McDavid. IK that it's unlikely, but it may be worth a shot
Nov 21, 2019 at 9:27
Quoting: clapperzzz11

Just craving more drama are we? Matthews isn't a problem, the players aren't a problem and the backup isn't a problem. My assessment is guys like Matthews and Marner, were sick of not having any input. They know the coach is the coach and he's the boss, however, that doesn't mean they don't want to at least be heard and Babs doesn't listen to the GM and team president let alone his players. Remember when Matthews said the PP has become predictable? That is what I am talking about, Matthews probably wanted to try some new things but Babs doesn't stray from the process and as these young stars got older and more confident they wanted to contribute more but Babs doesn't work that way.

There won't be any moves for a while now I'd wager, at least 5-10 games. My guess is they are going to make a couple of tweaks systematically and be given the opportunity to experiment with the PP a little. They'll start winning some games and then we'll see whats what.
Nov 21, 2019 at 9:35
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
But everyone knows that Tavares is the best player on the Leafs. He was the one who helped Marner achieve 94 points, not Matthews. Matthews is the better goal scorer, but Tavares has always been more dynamic and influential overall.

You like to throw around "everyone" a lot. Nothing is that absolute. Tavares was a terrific choice of Captain and definitely not a wrong choice. Is he the best player on the Leafs? I don't think its necessarily true. Matthews has more tools in the box than Tavares, is a better goal scorer, is faster and bigger. That being said, he still needs to develop a better 200 foot game but I think Keefe will be better at directing these players to fix the areas of weakness in their games. I also think he's going to unleash guys like Nylander more than ever before. No more of this treating arguably the most skilled player on the team like he's a 3rd line bubble player.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:13
FFS

I think I feel.........probably never even met him before, knows nothing about their locker room, but wants to opine. It's like banana republic thought process 101
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:14
Quoting: LoganOllivier
You like to throw around "everyone" a lot. Nothing is that absolute. Tavares was a terrific choice of Captain and definitely not a wrong choice. Is he the best player on the Leafs? I don't think its necessarily true. Matthews has more tools in the box than Tavares, is a better goal scorer, is faster and bigger. That being said, he still needs to develop a better 200 foot game but I think Keefe will be better at directing these players to fix the areas of weakness in their games. I also think he's going to unleash guys like Nylander more than ever before. No more of this treating arguably the most skilled player on the team like he's a 3rd line bubble player.

for the record. Matthews is by far the best player on the leafs. It's not even close.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:21
Marner Stan Account

Well, Tavares is the player on the Leafs who reminds me of Crosby. He's got great agility, lower-body strength and puck protection which allows him to wheel and deal his way in tight spaces. He, like Crosby, has played alongside weaker wingers and helped them achieve career numbers. Matthews is more like Malkin, a big guy with tremendous skill who can just take over a game.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:23
Quoting: Goldninja0

To TOR: C. McDavid, R. Nugent-Hopkins ($2 000 000 retained), 2nd round pick in whichever year

I think
Plus this all depends on if TOR were willing to trade Matthews and Marner, and if EDM would be willing to trade McDavid. IK that it's unlikely, but it may be worth a shot

LOL whatever you're on let me have it cause holy oh f**k you're special to think edm would trade McDavid.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:23
Marner Stan Account
Quoting: pharrow
for the record. Matthews is by far the best player on the leafs. It's not even close.

No, not really. Matthews gets the most points, but there's no player better at driving the play than Tavares.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:30
No, not really. Matthews gets the most points, but there's no player better at driving the play than Tavares.

Driving play is such a bs way to look at players. They say the same about Simon and he sucks. But he can have a high corsi because he holds onto the puck. Not that it means anything if you do nothing with it.
Matthews is by far their most dangerous player on the ice with the puck. He is their best player.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:31

It's not as far as you think, I think Nylander has the most raw talent, Tavares is a better 200 foot player and Andersen is an all world goalie.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:32

If you want to talk about driving play, Nylander is the best followed by Matthews and then Tavares.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:38
Marner Stan Account
Driving play is such a bs way to look at players. They say the same about Simon and he sucks. But he can have a high corsi because he holds onto the puck. Not that it means anything if you do nothing with it.
Matthews is by far their most dangerous player on the ice with the puck. He is their best player.

I think you are biased because Matthews is American, like you. However, Tavares is the one who has helped wingers like Lee, Bailey, Parenteau and Okposo reach career years in which they scored around 30 goals.
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:41
Marner Stan Account
If you want to talk about driving play, Nylander is the best followed by Matthews and then Tavares.

It's not as far as you think, I think Nylander has the most raw talent, Tavares is a better 200 foot player and Andersen is an all world goalie.

Honestly, I don't think Nylander has more talent than Marner, let alone Tavares and Matthews. We can't even call Matthews or Tavares generational (they are elite franchise who are both worse than Malkin), so how can we say that Nylander is a franchise player?
Nov 21, 2019 at 11:01
Honestly, I don't think Nylander has more talent than Marner, let alone Tavares and Matthews. We can't even call Matthews or Tavares generational (they are elite franchise who are both worse than Malkin), so how can we say that Nylander is a franchise player?

Who is saying Nylander is a franchise player? Matthews is a generational talent, he just hasn't been used like one because he had a coach that thought yelling process all the time and playing a 39 year Patrick Marleau in key moments was a good idea. Matthews is going to get more ice time and more freedom, I think he'll start filling the net a lot more soon.

As for Nylander, a lot of people don't see him as talented as the others because he plays differently. His skills are otherworldly but his tenacity can be lacking. What he can do with the puck and his shot and his vision is absolutely top end talent, where he struggles is when he doesn't have the puck, he doesn't try as hard as when he has the puck and that is correctable. If he could get a little more fire in his belly and a bit more anger, I think he could be one of the best players in the league. But that natural anger and fire just doesn't come to everyone.
Nov 21, 2019 at 11:25
Godfried

I think

Extremely ridiculous idea. Puts Edmonton in worse of a cap situation, gets rid of the worlds best player who is moving them in the right direction and gets a bad character on the team like matthews which have put the oilers in situations like they had in passed (similar character as taylor hall, selfish, one dimensional and poor leader). McDavid had more value than both of those players let alone adding more.
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:02
NoBrodinGhostLeddy

lower than price tho at the moment
if anything i think vasilevskiy would take that spot
him and price are 91 ovr on nhl 20
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:24
lower than price tho at the moment
if anything i think vasilevskiy would take that spot
him and price are 91 ovr on nhl 20

And this conversation is now stupid.
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:00
Marner Stan Account
Who is saying Nylander is a franchise player? Matthews is a generational talent, he just hasn't been used like one because he had a coach that thought yelling process all the time and playing a 39 year Patrick Marleau in key moments was a good idea. Matthews is going to get more ice time and more freedom, I think he'll start filling the net a lot more soon.

As for Nylander, a lot of people don't see him as talented as the others because he plays differently. His skills are otherworldly but his tenacity can be lacking. What he can do with the puck and his shot and his vision is absolutely top end talent, where he struggles is when he doesn't have the puck, he doesn't try as hard as when he has the puck and that is correctable. If he could get a little more fire in his belly and a bit more anger, I think he could be one of the best players in the league. But that natural anger and fire just doesn't come to everyone.

You're right that we haven't had the opportunity to see Matthews at his absolute best, and we might with the new coach. However, if you identify him as a generational talent, then you must believe that Malkin is a generation talent as well, because no way is Malkin any less talented than Matthews. The thing is, people use the term generational far too often, but realistically, it should only be used for the best player of a specific era, for example, Crosby, McDavid, Lemieux, Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr, Howe etc. That's it. Everyone else who was almost as good should be considered elite franchise.
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:01
Marner Stan Account
And this conversation is now stupid.

Price is rated 95 on my NHL 15 game. Vasilevsky is rated 94.
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:27
You're right that we haven't had the opportunity to see Matthews at his absolute best, and we might with the new coach. However, if you identify him as a generational talent, then you must believe that Malkin is a generation talent as well, because no way is Malkin any less talented than Matthews. The thing is, people use the term generational far too often, but realistically, it should only be used for the best player of a specific era, for example, Crosby, McDavid, Lemieux, Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr, Howe etc. That's it. Everyone else who was almost as good should be considered elite franchise.

Malkin is definitely a generational talent.
Nov 21, 2019 at 8:28
Price is rated 95 on my NHL 15 game. Vasilevsky is rated 94.

Cool
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:00
Marner Stan Account
Malkin is definitely a generational talent.

Well, do you think Lafreniere is a generational talent?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Remove Option
Submit Poll