Forums/Armchair-GM

Matthews

Created by: Eli
Team: 2019-20 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 21, 2019
Published: Nov. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Rebuilding around the best American center of the next decade and four more 1st round picked defensemen.

Call up young guys and tank this year to pick another top center.

Next year sign a backup goalie and aim for the playoffs.
Trades
TOR
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
  2. Jones, Seth
Additional Details:
(Leafs pocket 6.2M cap space for this year, so they can rent Hall and make a run, before Dubas pays Dubois).
CBJ
  1. Gagner, Sam
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2022 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$64,819,152$0$1,187,500$16,680,848
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$897,500$897,500
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$874,125$874,125
LW
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$874,125$874,125
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$776,667$776,667 (Performance Bonus$160,000$160K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$874,125$874,125
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
UFA - 4
$1,633,333$1,633,333
LD
UFA - 3
$2,700,000$2,700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 21, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
KFTW
Take out Liljgren and I think its fair
Nov. 21, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Banned
I don't think TO has any interest in that at this time. Matthews is untouchable I'd wager. Plus giving up Sandin and Liljegren is too much. Yes Jones is absolutely an elite talent, however, I think that both Sandin and Liljegren are going to be terrific player in the very near future and that makes this too much. Matthews is hands down way better than Dubois and I think Sandin and Liljegren collectively could be effective top 4 defenders very soon.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: csick
Take out Liljgren and I think its fair

Quoting: LoganOllivier
I don't think TO has any interest in that at this time. Matthews is untouchable I'd wager. Plus giving up Sandin and Liljegren is too much. Yes Jones is absolutely an elite talent, however, I think that both Sandin and Liljegren are going to be terrific player in the very near future and that makes this too much. Matthews is hands down way better than Dubois and I think Sandin and Liljegren collectively could be effective top 4 defenders very soon.

Thanks. I agree that Matthews>Dubois but I think Jones>>Liljegren+Sandin, until either plays ten NHL games at least? As it says in the description, the point from Toronto's side is to stay elite at center, add an elite RHD they've needed for five years now, and add 6M of cap space to immediately trade for Taylor Hall.

The question is, if CBJ is okay with rebuilding around Matthews and a top five pick, then how much more does Tor have to add for Korpisalo?
Nov. 21, 2019 at 4:07 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
Thanks. I agree that Matthews>Dubois but I think Jones>>Liljegren+Sandin, until either plays ten NHL games at least? As it says in the description, the point from Toronto's side is to stay elite at center, add an elite RHD they've needed for five years now, and add 6M of cap space to immediately trade for Taylor Hall.

The question is, if CBJ is okay with rebuilding around Matthews and a top five pick, then how much more does Tor have to add for Korpisalo?

Nah, none of this makes sense.

I am certain Dubas would love Jones, who wouldn't but the down grade at centre is pretty steep and if you look long term, the flexibility that Sandin and Lijegren offer over Dubois and Jones from a cap perspective is very important to this franchise.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Nah, none of this makes sense.

I am certain Dubas would love Jones, who wouldn't but the down grade at centre is pretty steep and if you look long term, the flexibility that Sandin and Lijegren offer over Dubois and Jones from a cap perspective is very important to this franchise.

If you loom at it is it really a downgrade? Nylander still plays Center you have Tavares still and a couple other serviceable Centers including a couple that are in the pool that could come up.
Eli liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
If you loom at it is it really a downgrade? Nylander still plays Center you have Tavares still and a couple other serviceable Centers including a couple that are in the pool that could come up.

Two summers in a row, Babcock had to fly to meet with Matthews to talk things through because his coaching just wears guys down. He has more tools than just about anyone else in the game, only a handful of guys have more raw talent than Matthews. Dubois is not in the same universe, despite being a terrific player. The upgrade on defence (it is huge yes) also comes with a major downgrade in their defensive prospect pool, it essentially cuts it and that isn't good when they have only Rielly signed beyond this season. This trade causes as many problems as it solves. I just don't see the Leafs ever entertaining trading Matthews unless 1) McDavid demands a trade or 2) If Matthews demands a trade. I think the likelihood of either of those moments happening is pretty much non existent.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
Who adds what?
Two summers in a row, Babcock had to fly to meet with Matthews to talk things through because his coaching just wears guys down. He has more tools than just about anyone else in the game, only a handful of guys have more raw talent than Matthews. Dubois is not in the same universe, despite being a terrific player. The upgrade on defence (it is huge yes) also comes with a major downgrade in their defensive prospect pool, it essentially cuts it and that isn't good when they have only Rielly signed beyond this season. This trade causes as many problems as it solves. I just don't see the Leafs ever entertaining trading Matthews unless 1) McDavid demands a trade or 2) If Matthews demands a trade. I think the likelihood of either of those moments happening is pretty much non existent.

I mostly agree. He's such a nice guy, and he's so consistent on the ice, and he's always said he's happy playing in Toronto. But his refusal to give up any years of UFA would give me pause, as a GM, especially with a cap hit that a lot of people thought he might get on a max term deal. Based on that alone, moving him in a deal that fixes the defense and improves the team's Cup odds is something a GM could get away with more easily than falling out of the playoffs for lack of action. The coaching change might take care of the latter, but if it doesn't, they might make moves... but I looked at it from Toronto's side and decided they need to also upgrade in net. Reposted as, "All in," with Korpisalo and Hall.

While I generally see your point in terms of wanting more defensemen than just Morgan Rielly and Seth Jones under contract.... wait, no I don't. Dermott's an RFA and Muzzin will sign for less than Muzzin+Ceci currently cost. So you're talking about whether Jones is a huge upgrade over Ceci. Help me figure that one out?
Nov. 21, 2019 at 5:06 p.m.
if Gagner is your 2C you're in for a world of loss
Eli liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 5:24 p.m.
Banned
I mostly agree. He's such a nice guy, and he's so consistent on the ice, and he's always said he's happy playing in Toronto. But his refusal to give up any years of UFA would give me pause, as a GM, especially with a cap hit that a lot of people thought he might get on a max term deal. Based on that alone, moving him in a deal that fixes the defense and improves the team's Cup odds is something a GM could get away with more easily than falling out of the playoffs for lack of action. The coaching change might take care of the latter, but if it doesn't, they might make moves... but I looked at it from Toronto's side and decided they need to also upgrade in net. Reposted as, "All in," with Korpisalo and Hall.

While I generally see your point in terms of wanting more defensemen than just Morgan Rielly and Seth Jones under contract.... wait, no I don't. Dermott's an RFA and Muzzin will sign for less than Muzzin+Ceci currently cost. So you're talking about whether Jones is a huge upgrade over Ceci. Help me figure that one out?

Thats not what happened though. Matthews and Dubas both said that there was a willingness to go to 8 years but that would have cost more, so they found a term and dollar amount that both sides were happy with. The whole notion that he's planning on leaving in 5 years is entirely media driven drama. Its the media speculating hoping to generate an uproar from both Leafs Nation and Troll Nation.

Long term is something most people don't think about. The Leafs don't have to worry about a major contract until Andersen is FA after next season and then Rielly the year after and then 2 years after than it'll be Matthews and Nylander again. Trade Matthews like this and now you have Dubois needing a contract after this season, and then Rielly and Jones at the same time in 3 years. How much is that going to cost? Keep in mind, they'll exactly zero high value young ELC's on defence to help bring value for cheap. Plus you downgraded your centre depth in a big way.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 5:43 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: canucks_Fan_53
if Gagner is your 2C you're in for a world of loss

You're saying that based off seeing him in a 4th line role with some checkers who couldn't finish his passes, and no offensive zone starts, though. Last time Gagner played 2C he got 50 points. That was in Columbus and they did fine. He's still in his prime. Vancouver and Edmonton are fortunate to have no shortage of better options at center, but for a rebuilding team, Gagner's homecoming and return to at-least-average offense would be a great story.

I made another version of this from Toronto's side where I added some stuff for Korpisalo, because I think Korpisalo currently carries the Jackets on his back, and you can't rebuild through the draft with a goalie who can't lose. I think I traded him for a 2nd, 3rd, and Kaskisuo, leaving CBJ with zero career wins, up and down their goaltending depth chart. If that doesn't land an immediate #2C out of a deep draft, I don't know what will. In the offseason, they can pick up Aaron Dell and Garrett Sparks at 1M each and get back to the playoffs.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 5:46 p.m.
Who adds what?
Thats not what happened though. Matthews and Dubas both said that there was a willingness to go to 8 years but that would have cost more, so they found a term and dollar amount that both sides were happy with. The whole notion that he's planning on leaving in 5 years is entirely media driven drama. Its the media speculating hoping to generate an uproar from both Leafs Nation and Troll Nation.

Long term is something most people don't think about. The Leafs don't have to worry about a major contract until Andersen is FA after next season and then Rielly the year after and then 2 years after than it'll be Matthews and Nylander again. Trade Matthews like this and now you have Dubois needing a contract after this season, and then Rielly and Jones at the same time in 3 years. How much is that going to cost? Keep in mind, they'll exactly zero high value young ELC's on defence to help bring value for cheap. Plus you downgraded your centre depth in a big way.

Solid point on term not being a big deal.

A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I posted a Leafs version with Hall, Jones and Korpisalo. I think I traded Engval for a #6D. I was going to add more forwards, but I looked at the roster, and they didn't need anything more. It's a team that can hoist. Then Hall walks, Andersen gets traded, and yeah, they pay Dubois and Korpisalo, who brought home the Cup.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 6:35 p.m.
This is just a no from all sides.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 6:38 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Ajp_18
This is just a no from all sides.

Lol. You started it. smile https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/285587&post_id=1159045
Nov. 21, 2019 at 6:40 p.m.

Yeah... but I still don’t think Toronto is going to trade Matthews. The value is there for sure, just not a reason to make said trade.

Also that San Jose trade is bad... Detroit would offer more for Werenski.
Eli liked this.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Nov. 21, 2019 at 9:07 p.m.
Quoting: Ajp_18
Yeah... but I still don’t think Toronto is going to trade Matthews. The value is there for sure, just not a reason to make said trade.

Also that San Jose trade is bad... Detroit would offer more for Werenski.

They're all bad trades for CBJ (short term). The point was that they tank and rebuild around Matthews and a top five pick in the upcoming draft, plus a ton of young defensemen.

Then I got worried that Korpisalo would still carry the team to the wild card race on his back, and I threw him in for chump change on the version I posted on the Toronto side. That part evens out when Toronto pays CBJ a 2nd to take a year of Andersen next summer. smile

Edit: CBJ would only do this if they don't think the current group can contend within Jones' and Werenski's contracts. I think it's debatable, but this year's draft is supposed to be deep, Matthews is a little better than Dubois, and losing for one year to add another top five pick to play #2C could be worth more to the Jackets' Cup chances than everything I'm giving away here. In terms of ticket sales, though, adding Matthews should keep that going for this year, and next summer they add a couple backup goalies on the cheap, and they might be right back in the wild card race.

2nd edit: I agree, TML probably never trade Matthews. But I built this team on the idea that it lets them rent Hall and win a Cup if they could trade him and some stuff for Jones and Dubois.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 7:52 p.m.
Banned
Solid point on term not being a big deal.

A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I posted a Leafs version with Hall, Jones and Korpisalo. I think I traded Engval for a #6D. I was going to add more forwards, but I looked at the roster, and they didn't need anything more. It's a team that can hoist. Then Hall walks, Andersen gets traded, and yeah, they pay Dubois and Korpisalo, who brought home the Cup.

I think it's premature and needless. I like their roster now and I like how they are set up for the future.
Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll