Forums/Armchair-GM

HOW DO YOU LIKE KEEFE NOW

Created by: TMLSage
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 21, 2019
Published: Nov. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Leafs looked energized tonight in their win against Arizona in Keefe's first game as coach. The Leafs bus under Keefe is about to leave and you might want to jump on as a Leaf believer because the fun is just going to start.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,754,143$0$70,000$8,745,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 21, 2019 at 11:53 p.m.
Still likely to miss this year. Hope for a top ten pick
Nov. 21, 2019 at 11:53 p.m.
Nov. 21, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
Keefe didn't smile for Matthews' goal like he did for Engvall and Barrie. Controversy brewing? Well at least it will be a short trip to Matthews' parents house to patch things up tonight.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:00 a.m.
Lenny7
Keefe on pace to be the winning coach in NHL history by 2021.
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:01 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: papishark

I think you meant your Sharks team in terms of missing and hoping for a top ten pick. Do me a favour and google Sheldon Keefe coaching record and read over the information carefully to really get a proper understanding of who is now coaching the Leafs. Keefe has a tremendous record in coaching hockey teams and you need to educate yourself on what his impact is going to be to the Leafs as the team becomes a powerhouse.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:10 a.m.
B
Quoting: TMLSage
...as the team becomes a powerhouse.

Better start shopping for depth, d, grit and a back up before making any playoff bets...
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Pump the Brakes...
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
It’s first game, obviously it’s good to get the win for Toronto after a rough patch, but a lot of questionable areas need some attention such as a Backup Goalie and Shoring up the Defensive game a little bit and some Special Teams stuff. Keefe could be able to do that, but again it was only first game against a rather hot team, but down the road you have a few struggling teams for a patch of about 6-7 games then you hit the big test with St.Louis, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton as a 4 game stretch. If Dubas is willing to listen and get a high quality Defenseman for one of the High Quality Forwards (which also could reduce cap makes it even easier to be cap compliant for more Defense. I think you guys can be good but this team is too Forward-heavy and Offensive-minded.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:23 a.m.
Isles7
I’m hopping on
TMLSage liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:27 a.m.
Banned
This happens literally every time a head coaching change is made. Also against the Coyotes lol. Give it time before getting too excited.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:28 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
It’s first game, obviously it’s good to get the win for Toronto after a rough patch, but a lot of questionable areas need some attention such as a Backup Goalie and Shoring up the Defensive game a little bit and some Special Teams stuff. Keefe could be able to do that, but again it was only first game against a rather hot team, but down the road you have a few struggling teams for a patch of about 6-7 games then you hit the big test with St.Louis, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton as a 4 game stretch. If Dubas is willing to listen and get a high quality Defenseman for one of the High Quality Forwards (which also could reduce cap makes it even easier to be cap compliant for more Defense. I think you guys can be good but this team is too Forward-heavy and Offensive-minded.

You do not sound like a Leaf believer like Isles777 and myself. Not interested in your points because I am placing my bets 100% on Sheldon Keefe and his ability to coach winning hockey teams.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:29 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Root
Keefe didn't smile for Matthews' goal like he did for Engvall and Barrie. Controversy brewing? Well at least it will be a short trip to Matthews' parents house to patch things up tonight.

It's just the Stache. He's probably aware of Matthews 12 year old girlfriend and does not approve.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

I think why people are excited is exactly why you are criticizing the roster. This team was built for Keefe and his style. He knows how to get the defence he needs with the players available and is ready to let them loose and play a heavy offence and puck possession game. The defence was great tonight. Going against 3 pp’s and none of our own and still outshooting. The keefe defensive scheme looks great and should get better as everyone gets comfortable.

I think the leafs will be trending in the right direction. Hopefully the backup situation is fixed with either a roster move or some better deployment.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:45 a.m.
Banned

The system they are now implementing is going to change a lot of minds. The collapsing they did to protect the front of the net is the solution to their biggest issue. The defensive system Babs was using didn't work with the team he had. The style they ran tonight was more about keeping the play to the outside. Getting turnovers and transitioning which is what this roster should be doing.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 12:48 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
I think why people are excited is exactly why you are criticizing the roster. This team was built for Keefe and his style. He knows how to get the defence he needs with the players available and is ready to let them loose and play a heavy offence and puck possession game. The defence was great tonight. Going against 3 pp’s and none of our own and still outshooting. The keefe defensive scheme looks great and should get better as everyone gets comfortable.

I think the leafs will be trending in the right direction. Hopefully the backup situation is fixed with either a roster move or some better deployment.

I think the worry about the backup is overblown. Hutchinson wasn't good enough but he got almost no help either. I liked how hard Kass battled in such a lacklustre game, I hope he takes the job and runs with it.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 1:33 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I think the worry about the backup is overblown. Hutchinson wasn't good enough but he got almost no help either. I liked how hard Kass battled in such a lacklustre game, I hope he takes the job and runs with it.

Yeah I think we will get a better idea of KK really is as backup as the team and Keefe get more comfortable with the style of play he implements.

I feel it be at least 10 games for players to get the hang of this style.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.
Edited Nov. 22, 2019 at 4:47 a.m.
Went to buy "TML Champions 2020" sweater but they were all gone......
Nov. 22, 2019 at 1:43 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: oneX
Yeah I think we will get a better idea of KK really is as backup as the team and Keefe get more comfortable with the style of play he implements.

I feel it be at least 10 games for players to get the hang of this style.

Do not think it will take 10 games for the players to get a hang of this style of play because a good portion of the players have already played for Sheldon Keefe with the Marlies. You are about to watch an immediate transformation of a team with the players enjoying comming to the rink every day.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 1:47 a.m.
Do not think it will take 10 games for the players to get a hang of this style of play because a good portion of the players have already played for Sheldon Keefe with the Marlies. You are about to watch an immediate transformation of a team with the players enjoying comming to the rink every day.

Calm down buddy. They win a game and you sound like you're bouncing off the walls...lol

It's going to take time because even tho you are right about some players being familiar with Keefe, there's a few that are not.

Grain of salt time....take breath. Lol
Nov. 22, 2019 at 1:56 a.m.
Analytics are good
I think you meant your Sharks team in terms of missing and hoping for a top ten pick. Do me a favour and google Sheldon Keefe coaching record and read over the information carefully to really get a proper understanding of who is now coaching the Leafs. Keefe has a tremendous record in coaching hockey teams and you need to educate yourself on what his impact is going to be to the Leafs as the team becomes a powerhouse.

Buddy, Keefe has coached 1 NHL game. It's not like the Leafs are some sort of powerhouse all of a sudden, the defense is still atrocious.
deleted_12392840 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 2:10 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: PenGoater99
Buddy, Keefe has coached 1 NHL game. It's not like the Leafs are some sort of powerhouse all of a sudden, the defense is still atrocious.

PenGoater99

You need to do some homework on the coaching record of Sheldon Keefe. Are you sure a defence of Reilly, Barrie, Muzzen and Dermott is atrocious. The Leafs defence is actually fine. What was the problem was that the Leafs forwards were not comming back and supporting the defence under Babcock. This will nolonger be a problem under Keefe as all the Leafs forwards have been freed from the controlling Babcock and are allowed to attack, attack and attack if they support their defence. Keefe showed alot of confidence in the Leafs defence tonight by giving them the green line to go on every shift which is something that Babcock would not allow. Interesting that Barrie gets first goal of the year after getting Keefe as his coach.

You do not seem to also realize the quality of the young players that the Leafs have comming on the Marlies which Keefe has actually developed and will be intergrated into the team over the next few years. I think you may just be a little jealouse that your Penquins are now a sinking ship like the Hawks.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 2:16 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: oneX
Calm down buddy. They win a game and you sound like you're bouncing off the walls...lol

It's going to take time because even tho you are right about some players being familiar with Keefe, there's a few that are not.

Grain of salt time....take breath. Lol

What are you talking about?? The other players like Tavares, Anderson, Muzzen, Marner, Barrie and Kerfott are great and smart hockey players and can actually adapt to Keefe very fast. You need to remember that Keefe was coaching the same system with the Marlies as the Leafs, so it is not like he is going to be changing the system. You need to be a believer instead of a doubter.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 2:16 a.m.
Analytics are good
PenGoater99

You need to do some homework on the coaching record of Sheldon Keefe. Are you sure a defence of Reilly, Barrie, Muzzen and Dermott is atrocious. The Leafs defence is actually fine. What was the problem was that the Leafs forwards were not comming back and supporting the defence under Babcock. This will nolonger be a problem under Keefe as all the Leafs forwards have been freed from the controlling Babcock and are allowed to attack, attack and attack if they support their defence. Keefe showed alot of confidence in the Leafs defence tonight by giving them the green line to go on every shift which is something that Babcock would not allow. Interesting that Barrie gets first goal of the year after getting Keefe as his coach.

You do not seem to also realize the quality of the young players that the Leafs have comming on the Marlies which Keefe has actually developed and will be intergrated into the team over the next few years. I think you may just be a little jealouse that your Penquins are now a sinking ship like the Hawks.

A) Barrie has been awful this year, one game doesn't change that, Rielly sucks in his own end, and Cody Ceci is still actively employed with a top 4 role. So yes, the defense is still atrocious.
B) AHL coaching is largely irrelevant when looking at the NHL
C) The Penguins are above the Leafs in the standings even though they're currently missing their 1C, 3C, 1RD, and 2RD and not having had a healthy lineup at any point at all this year
Nov. 22, 2019 at 2:29 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: PenGoater99
A) Barrie has been awful this year, one game doesn't change that, Rielly sucks in his own end, and Cody Ceci is still actively employed with a top 4 role. So yes, the defense is still atrocious.
B) AHL coaching is largely irrelevant when looking at the NHL
C) The Penguins are above the Leafs in the standings even though they're currently missing their 1C, 3C, 1RD, and 2RD and not having had a healthy lineup at any point at all this year

My response is as follows:
A) The games played prior tonight mean nothing towards the future. Barrie totally mis-used by Babcock like Zaitsev until tonight, Reilly has been hurt and not put with a good partner until tonight. Ceci moved to bottom pairing tonight. A defence including Reilly, Dermott, Muzzen and Barrie is not atrocious just like a defence of Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester and Dunn was not atrocious last year at this time.
B) There are more AHL trained coaches in the NHL than from any other source so AHL coaching records are relevant.
C) The standings todate mean nothing and my reference is the St.Louis Blues from last year. The bottom line is that your Penquins best days are over and the ship is sinking as they rely too much on Crosby and Muarry to win.
Nov. 22, 2019 at 2:36 a.m.

I never said he was a bad coach? The leafs have a better probability of missing the playoffs based on a bad start and tough division. They will need to play great to catch up now statistically

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll