Forums/Armchair-GM

Leaf fans

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 23, 2019
Published: Nov. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
How much do you hate this trade, realistically how would you fix it?
Trades
MIN
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. Liljegren, Timothy
  3. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
Ideally Liljegren would be sent to AHL only called up periodically to protect him from the expansion draft. Ceci would hopefully sign an extension as a 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman, allallowing Wild to move Brodin or Hunt for more draft picks or prospects.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,816,790$0$1,232,500$6,683,210
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Banned
The Leafs would maybe move Marner for this return, not Nylander.
OutCold13 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:41 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
The Leafs would maybe move Marner for this return, not Nylander.

Marner makes too much money, I think his contract will make life difficult for the Leafs in the future.
OldNYIfan and TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Paul13
Marner makes too much money, I think his contract will make life difficult for the Leafs in the future.

That's why they'd be more willing to move Marner than Nylander.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
That's why they'd be more willing to move Marner than Nylander.

I agree with you on that point, but given Wilds current situation, I don't think they would trade a good Dumba contract for a bad Marner contract.
TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Well, whatever scorn gets heaped upon your head, I will share. From Toronto's perspective, this checks a lot of boxes: (1) Dumba is more valuable to the Maple Leafs in their current state than Nylander; (2) Toronto's need for a back-up goalie is well documented; (3) Donato is likely to be more productive on Toronto's third line than where he is now, and more valuable than Ceci is; and (4) Maple Leafs fans aren't going to vilify Dumba the way they did first to Nikita Zaitsev and now are doing to Ceci. Of course, there is the hurdle of a belief among a significant segment of Leafs Nation that Liljegren is the next Brett Pesce, and therefore untouchable, but I haven't bought into that yet. The only possible adjustment I could see being reasonable is substituting Toronto's 2020 second for Liljegren as a concession to that sentiment. And the trade works out well for both teams' cap situation. In short, really well done!!

Now for the invective from north of the border.
OutCold13, TheNewAge, blowing_the_zone and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Banned
I agree with you on that point, but given Wilds current situation, I don't think they would trade a good Dumba contract for a bad Marner contract.

I agree, the Wild would not trade Dumba for Marner. Maybe someone like Brodin instead makes sense.
OutCold13 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Banned
Liljegren is exempt from the draft. Because he was a slide candidate he hasn't started his ELC yet which makes him exempt.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Toronno Maple Leafs
Dont mind this trade, but youd need to retain $$$ on Dubnyk. Cant justify paying 4.3M for a backup when you can acquire DeSmith or Jarry. Also have a feeling that Dubas would go after Fiala instead of Donato since Fiala fits his vision more (speed and skill) but not bad.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Finally someone adressing MIN lack of depth at center.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: TheNewAge
Dont mind this trade, but youd need to retain $$$ on Dubnyk. Cant justify paying 4.3M for a backup when you can acquire DeSmith or Jarry. Also have a feeling that Dubas would go after Fiala instead of Donato since Fiala fits his vision more (speed and skill) but not bad.

But by this logic Toronto should retain on Ceci, because Minnesota could spend a lot less on a defenseman like Troy Stecher or Scott Mayfield. One of the main reasons why Dubnyk works in this trade is that he offsets the Ceci cap hit. And FIala's extra-million-dollar cap hit (over Donato's) would be hard for Toronto to absorb.
TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:29 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Liljegren is exempt from the draft. Because he was a slide candidate he hasn't started his ELC yet which makes him exempt.

An even better factor for Minnesota fans to consider.
OutCold13 and TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Well, whatever scorn gets heaped upon your head, I will share. From Toronto's perspective, this checks a lot of boxes: (1) Dumba is more valuable to the Maple Leafs in their current state than Nylander; (2) Toronto's need for a back-up goalie is well documented; (3) Donato is likely to be more productive on Toronto's third line than where he is now, and more valuable than Ceci is; and (4) Maple Leafs fans aren't going to vilify Dumba the way they did first to Nikita Zaitsev and now are doing to Ceci. Of course, there is the hurdle of a belief among a significant segment of Leafs Nation that Liljegren is the next Brett Pesce, and therefore untouchable, but I haven't bought into that yet. The only possible adjustment I could see being reasonable is substituting Toronto's 2020 second for Liljegren as a concession to that sentiment. And the trade works out well for both teams' cap situation. In short, really well done!!

Now for the invective from north of the border.

Lol. I thought us Canadians were seen as polite by our southern neighbors? I get your point though - Leaf Nation has quite a different cultural identity than the nation of Canada.

I like the trade for the reasons you spelled out. But I'm kinda thinking that Dubas is pretty happy with this roster now that Keefe is coaching. And now that he is I'm really looking forward to what this team, and some players, look like over the next 20 games. Barrie looked like a completely different player the other night. Holl looked super solid to me, too.

I've been arguing for a while now that a d corps of Reilly, Muzzin, Barie, Dermott, Holl and Ceci isnt inherently bad when compared to other d groups from across the league.

There's no doubt that the leafs d could be improved. But they might not be god awful either - I'm really curious to see if some guys blossom under Keefe. I do think, though, that the d isn't so bad that Dubas would be compelled to part with Nylander. In fact, he's specifically one of the players I fully expect to take things to another level with Keefe as the coach.
OldNYIfan, OutCold13 and TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Lol. I thought us Canadians were seen as polite by our southern neighbors? I get your point though - Leaf Nation has quite a different cultural identity than the nation of Canada.

I like the trade for the reasons you spelled out. But I'm kinda thinking that Dubas is pretty happy with this roster now that Keefe is coaching. And now that he is I'm really looking forward to what this team, and some players, look like over the next 20 games. Barrie looked like a completely different player the other night. Holl looked super solid to me, too.

I've been arguing for a while now that a d corps of Reilly, Muzzin, Barie, Dermott, Holl and Ceci isnt inherently bad when compared to other d groups from across the league.

There's no doubt that the leafs d could be improved. But they might not be god awful either - I'm really curious to see if some guys blossom under Keefe. I do think, though, that the d isn't so bad that Dubas would be compelled to part with Nylander. In fact, he's specifically one of the players I fully expect to take things to another level with Keefe as the coach.

As usual, I agree with every point you make. Assuming the constructor's (perhaps implied) premise that Dubas feels he has to do something, this is a very good idea. And I agree with you completely that with the coaching change, any further move right now is premature. And as to your comment on the comparative strengths of Toronto's defense and other teams', I need only direct observers to the second-place Florida Panthers' goals-against figure.
blowing_the_zone and TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
There's no doubt that the Leafs d could be improved. But they might not be god awful either - I'm really curious to see if some guys blossom under Keefe. I do think, though, that the d isn't so bad that Dubas would be compelled to part with Nylander. In fact, he's specifically one of the players I fully expect to take things to another level with Keefe as the coach.

P.S. Didn't the Islanders' defense go from outhouse to penthouse with only a coaching change?
TanSor and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
As usual, I agree with every point you make. Assuming the constructor's (perhaps implied) premise that Dubas feels he has to do something, this is a very good idea. And I agree with you completely that with the coaching change, any further move right now is premature. And as to your comment on the comparative strengths of Toronto's defense and other teams', I need only direct observers to the second-place Florida Panthers' goals-against figure.

Yeah, the narrative on what the leafs are, or are not, could change pretty quickly now. It really does seem like there is cohesion now in how management envisions what this team should be and how it should play - from Shanahan to Dubas to Keefe and tight on through to the players.

I could actually see a Toronto "super" line of Nylander/AM/Marner whenever the team is fully healthy. Things seem much more fluid now.

Edit: "super" was meant to be a comparable to how teams like Boston, Colorado and Edmonton stack their top lines. Thought I better clarify my intent before the invective from the south starts... wink
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
P.S. Didn't the Islanders' defense go from outhouse to penthouse with only a coaching change?

Yep. Maybe not the penthouse, but I think the leafs d is moving on up..!
TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.
I think this works really well for both teams, I just worry about what the hell were gunna do for a Dubnyk successor. We have a lot of internal options right now but they are all still question marks.

I'm deaming of Kaprizov and Fiala/Boldy/Greenway with Nylander centering them...
OldNYIfan and OutCold13 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Yeah, the narrative on what the leafs are, or are not, could change pretty quickly now. It really does seem like there is cohesion now in how management envisions what this team should be and how it should play - from Shanahan to Dubas to Keefe and tight on through to the players. wink

The writer/pedant in me compels me to say I know you meant to type "change" between the words "could" and "pretty."

Ha, ha, just noticed you beat me to it.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
The writer/pedant in me compels me to say I know you meant to type "change" between the words "could" and "pretty."

Ha, ha, just noticed you beat me to it.

Lol. I need an editor at the best of times. But especially after I had 3 beers...

Its early in the day still. Expect my spelling, grammar and my takes to get progressively worse as the day goes on..
OldNYIfan and OutCold13 liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 3:09 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: TanSor
I think this works really well for both teams, I just worry about what the hell were gunna do for a Dubnyk successor. We have a lot of internal options right now but they are all still question marks.

I'm deaming of Kaprizov and Fiala/Boldy/Greenway with Nylander centering them...

I'm not sold on Wild options in the AHL. I think Tristan Jarry will be a star in the NHL, when given a #1 roll, however getting him from Pit isn't something I've figured out how to do without way over paying.
TanSor liked this.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 3:50 p.m.
Toronno Maple Leafs
But by this logic Toronto should retain on Ceci, because Minnesota could spend a lot less on a defenseman like Troy Stecher or Scott Mayfield. One of the main reasons why Dubnyk works in this trade is that he offsets the Ceci cap hit. And FIala's extra-million-dollar cap hit (over Donato's) would be hard for Toronto to absorb.

See, I’d agree with you but Cecis contract ends this season whereas Dubnyk goes on for two seasons (I believe). If salary must be retained on Ceci then so be it.
Nov. 23, 2019 at 11:46 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: TheNewAge
See, I’d agree with you but Cecis contract ends this season whereas Dubnyk goes on for two seasons (I believe). If salary must be retained on Ceci then so be it.

Ceci is a UFA in 2020; Dubnyk in 2021.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.
I'm not sold on Wild options in the AHL. I think Tristan Jarry will be a star in the NHL, when given a #1 roll, however getting him from Pit isn't something I've figured out how to do without way over paying.

Yeah like I said, they are still question marks. We will get to see Kahkonen play pretty soon here but I'd say both are still at least a year, probably two years, out from being ready for the NHL full-time since goaltenders generally need a ton of time marinating before they are ready to move up to the NHL. Jarry would be a great idea, and I'd be really confident if Guerin acquired him since Guerin would know him from his days in Pittsburgh. I bet some of the Pens fans would ask for like Dumba or something for him though since I've seen so many Pens threads trying to acquire Zucker for one of Bjugstad/Rust/Hallander.
OutCold13 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll