Forums/Armchair-GM

Bortuzzo

Created by: Isles777
Team: 2019-20 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 24, 2019
Published: Nov. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
arviddson is out 4-6 weeks because of the cross check. Should bortuzzo be suspended for a month?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$81,500,000$74,517,927$12,928$732,500$6,982,073
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,475,000$1,475,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 2
$722,500$722,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 24, 2019 at 3:24 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
length of injury + 5 games.
gmgb and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 3:26 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: SammyT_51
length of injury + 5 games.

I like the blues but bortuzzo is an a**hole. He did the same to Brock nelson a few years ago. Not sure why he continues to cross check players when they’re already down on the ice
SammyT_51 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Isles777
I like the blues but bortuzzo is an a**hole. He did the same to Brock nelson a few years ago. Not sure why he continues to cross check players when they’re already down on the ice

Me neither. And he is a repeated offender.
Isles777 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
When a player intentionally tries to hurt a player and succeeds at it, they should be out the same amount of games the player they hurt is out.
Isles777 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Banned

this really isn't hard to figure out.
A. the 1st cross check is because if you leave guys standing there they will make you look bad, so you need to send a message to not be here when I'm on the ice.
B. the second cross check is for 2 reasons. The 1st is to goat you into a retaliatory penalty since he's already been called, and 2nd because he's already going to the box so he might as well get his penalty minutes worth. At least then he doesn't have to look at his team mates while they are out there blocking shots for his dumb mistake and feel like it wasn't worth it for them.

Nothing is ever going to happen as long as a goon is head of player safety. It is what it is.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: pharrow
this really isn't hard to figure out.
A. the 1st cross check is because if you leave guys standing there they will make you look bad, so you need to send a message to not be here when I'm on the ice.
B. the second cross check is for 2 reasons. The 1st is to goat you into a retaliatory penalty since he's already been called, and 2nd because he's already going to the box so he might as well get his penalty minutes worth. At least then he doesn't have to look at his team mates while they are out there blocking shots for his dumb mistake and feel like it wasn't worth it for them.

Nothing is ever going to happen as long as a goon is head of player safety. It is what it is.

I don’t mind the first cross check - and if arviddson was standing up, I wouldn’t care because he would probably end up retaliating and it would be fair game. Cross checking when someone is down in a vulnerable position is a coward move.

I’m still a big fan of fighting and violence in the game, but bortuzzo crossed a line.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Sicarius
Lol the DoPS is a joke

The only reason for the hearing is because Ar got hurt. There’s 20 cross checks every game. If they don’t want 20 every game call all 20
Nov. 24, 2019 at 4:29 p.m.
Banned
I don’t mind the first cross check - and if arviddson was standing up, I wouldn’t care because he would probably end up retaliating and it would be fair game. Cross checking when someone is down in a vulnerable position is a coward move.

I’m still a big fan of fighting and violence in the game, but bortuzzo crossed a line.

of course he did, that's the point. He wanted to draw someone to retaliate so he isn't sitting in the box alone. But no one came sticking up for his teammate and took the bait. Don't take the bait, take the hit. Strategy as old as hockey.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
Banned

He also did that to Malkin last season. Geno said "I will meet him in the cup finals."
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 5:59 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Sicarius
Lol the DoPS is a joke

The only reason for the hearing is because Ar got hurt. There’s 20 cross checks every game. If they don’t want 20 every game call all 20

You really think that there are "20 cross checks" of a player prone on the ice in "every game"? If I were the head of Player Safety I would have given this repeat offender goon 41 games for deliberate intent to injure a player who could not defend himself.
Bluejackets2000 liked this.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 6:31 p.m.
Sicarius
Quoting: OldNYIfan
You really think that there are "20 cross checks" of a player prone on the ice in "every game"? If I were the head of Player Safety I would have given this repeat offender goon 41 games for deliberate intent to injure a player who could not defend himself.

What’s the longest anyone has ever been suspended?? It’s not close to 40 games lol

You want Bortz to be suspended 6 or 7 times longer than anyone ever?? This is 6 or 7 times worse than any play in the NHL in the last 15 years??

Good luck getting that one by the union
Nov. 24, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Sicarius
What’s the longest anyone has ever been suspended?? It’s not close to 40 games lol

You want Bortz to be suspended 6 or 7 times longer than anyone ever?? This is 6 or 7 times worse than any play in the NHL in the last 15 years??

Good luck getting that one by the union

Slava Voynov was suspended for half a season (41 games) for hitting his WIFE with his bare hands (which is contested, by the way). And yes, this is 6 or 7 times worse than any play I've seen in the NHL in the last 15 years. And your implied contention that because a valid penalty has never been assessed before means that it should never be assessed in the future runs counter to the principles underlying all legitimate justice systems. There's a first time for everything.

I agree with you about the knee-jerk reflexive defense of any perpetrator by the NHLPA.
Nov. 24, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Sicarius
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Slava Voynov was suspended for half a season (41 games) for hitting his WIFE with his bare hands (which is contested, by the way). And yes, this is 6 or 7 times worse than any play I've seen in the NHL in the last 15 years. And your implied contention that because a valid penalty has never been assessed before means that it should never be assessed in the future runs counter to the principles underlying all legitimate justice systems. There's a first time for everything.

I agree with you about the knee-jerk reflexive defense of any perpetrator by the NHLPA.

I guess people can hope for more but it’s 4 games. Meh it’s not close to the dirtiest play I’ve seen in the last 5 years let alone 15. Oh well, on to the next game
Nov. 24, 2019 at 8:22 p.m.

of course he did, that's the point. He wanted to draw someone to retaliate so he isn't sitting in the box alone. But no one came sticking up for his teammate and took the bait. Don't take the bait, take the hit. Strategy as old as hockey.

Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
He also did that to Malkin last season. Geno said "I will meet him in the cup finals."

The sad part is, the refs only called 2 min penalty because the Preds were already on a 2 min power play at the time of this incident. He should have received 2 for cross check and a match penalty.
Plain and simple. Officials are too lax in calling games in the new NHL. Just a theory, but I suspect they are being trained by the NHL to keep games as close as possible for the benefit of the teams. The closer the teams are to the playoff bar at seasons end, the more meaningful games there are, the higher the attendance, the more TV revenue is made. There are more OT and shootout games now than ever before. It’s the officials causing this.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Nov. 25, 2019 at 4:33 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
The sad part is, the refs only called 2 min penalty because the Preds were already on a 2 min power play at the time of this incident. He should have received 2 for cross check and a match penalty.
Plain and simple. Officials are too lax in calling games in the new NHL. Just a theory, but I suspect they are being trained by the NHL to keep games as close as possible for the benefit of the teams. The closer the teams are to the playoff bar at seasons end, the more meaningful games there are, the higher the attendance, the more TV revenue is made. There are more OT and shootout games now than ever before. It’s the officials causing this.

come on now. I've seen players in almost every game of hockey cross check someone already on the ground. Including blue jacket players.
You got guys who run players head first into the boards who get get a handful of games. Some don't even get suspended. How many games did Wilson get for knocking Wennberg out the playoffs head first into the boards. 0. Hell he ain't been the same player since. I don't think anyone is going to argue that either.
So it is what it is. I'm not saying the league shouldn't take tough measures against things. But they got way more vicious stuff to look at than a cross check to a guy who's trying to get up.
Dec. 3, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
come on now. I've seen players in almost every game of hockey cross check someone already on the ground. Including blue jacket players.
You got guys who run players head first into the boards who get get a handful of games. Some don't even get suspended. How many games did Wilson get for knocking Wennberg out the playoffs head first into the boards. 0. Hell he ain't been the same player since. I don't think anyone is going to argue that either.
So it is what it is. I'm not saying the league shouldn't take tough measures against things. But they got way more vicious stuff to look at than a cross check to a guy who's trying to get up.

Are you serious? and I totally agree Wilson got more then a handful of passes with his head shots in the playoffs, going back to the Pittsburgh series before. Every game he was taking cheap shots in against someone, and not called.
Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks. The suspension should fit the injury caused to the other team. I'm not saying 1 for 1 games, but at least if you put someone out for 4-6 weeks, you should at least miss more than 3 games.
Todd Bertuzzi put Steve Moore out of the game with a cross check to the back (albeit he also fell full weight on top of him). But if you are going to review supplemental discipline, make it not only punitive (punishable for the current infraction), but put others on notice to try and deter others down the road.
Dec. 3, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
Are you serious? and I totally agree Wilson got more then a handful of passes with his head shots in the playoffs, going back to the Pittsburgh series before. Every game he was taking cheap shots in against someone, and not called.
Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks. The suspension should fit the injury caused to the other team. I'm not saying 1 for 1 games, but at least if you put someone out for 4-6 weeks, you should at least miss more than 3 games.
Todd Bertuzzi put Steve Moore out of the game with a cross check to the back (albeit he also fell full weight on top of him). But if you are going to review supplemental discipline, make it not only punitive (punishable for the current infraction), but put others on notice to try and deter others down the road.

You are making a judgement based on injury alone. There are so many incidences where players cross check a guy on the ground trying to get up. Are you going to suspend for every one of them. If you pick this guy this one time, what about all the other people who got away with it this season. Does it become the norm for every incident that happens going forwards. How's that going to work.

It is what it is. This league has so many other things to clean up that make more sense and can be done consistently. It's hard to look at something in a gray area and think, this is where they should start. I probably see a guy on the ground getting up crosschecked to keep him down in every other game. Hell I did it myself playing. It's a good way to clog up the lanes and keep a guy out the play at the same time.
It's a strategy defense men use most of the time. Play the body not the puck. It is what it is.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll