Forums/Armchair-GM

What A Realistic Pietrangelo Trade Might Look Like

Created by: Trevorchef
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 26, 2019
Published: Nov. 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
IF YOU RESPOND TO THIS WITHOUT READING THIS DESCRIPTION YOU WILL MISS THE POINT ENTIRELY.

Okay, I have been seeing a lot of this floating around lately. I think that it is important to realize that there are a lot more teams other than the Leafs that would be competing for the services of Pietrangelo IF the Blues decide that they want to move him.

They way that I see it, the Blues are completely in the drivers seat here. I personally think that the Blues have made their intentions clear by not extending him. (I could be way off the mark here but that is just my personal feeling on the situation). Which leads me to believe that they have two options. They could...

1. Keep Petro for another cup run and let him walk in the summer.
2. Trade him at or before the deadline and augment their already solid group in other areas.

I will use the relatively standard "deadline acquisition package" that teams typically use for upper level soon to be UFA's.

1st Round Pick + Top Nine Roster Player + Upper Level Prospect

Please keep in mind that this is not a want on my part. It is just some realistic expectations that may or may not come to pass should they decide to trade him.

Most of what I have seen thus far has been seriously lopsided in value leaning towards the Leafs. Pietrangelo is an elite top pairing RHD that plays in all situations.

Also of note, I think that there are other teams that could put together better packages than the Leafs are prepared to table. Again, just my opinion.

Now... Leaf fans will be screaming and yelling about how much of an overpay this is. The fact of the matter is, this is they type of return that the Blues would be expecting, (and probably will get from somebody), in a Pietrangelo trade.

They would still have to clear cap space to facilitate a deal like this so for this instance, I will remove Cody Ceci's contract in a trade with the Anaheim Ducks.
(THIS IS JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES AND NOT A LEGITIMATE TRADE SUGGESTION).

As you can see, this is a steep price to pay for a UFA. BUT, someone WILL pay it if the Blues decide to make Pietrangelo available.

I hope the Leafs choose not to go down this road.

I hope this puts an end to all of the Cody Ceci + Jeremy Bracco + Tor 2nd for Alex Pietrangelo BS, but it probably won't.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 6th round pick (ANA)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,022,143$0$70,000$477,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
What in tarnation
Ducks already paid a low pick for overpaid RHD in Gudbranson, they don't need yet another one...
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
I'm going to agree with you on multiple levels. This is (in my opinion) an over payment, and they definitely will get this kind of return from someone. I hope they don't offer this kind of package. I can see Keefe wanting to get Liljegren up with the big boys starting next year. Kapanen, I believe, can be moved for another piece, i just hope it does not result in a rental player coming back
Trevorchef liked this.
Sicarius
Nope
Without getting into value wouldn’t it make more sense looking at the Blues roster for them to want a left handed defender over a righty? The left side of their defense is getting old and they need replacements soon.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Ducks already paid a low pick for overpaid RHD in Gudbranson, they don't need yet another one...

Clearly and example of someone not reading the description. I give up.
Shylo_Moxii, yikes and Salzy liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:51 a.m.
Bcarlo25
This isn’t the standard UFA rental. This is a legit elite top pairing d man. It’s a cup winning captain. These guys don’t become available. It will take something more significant than this in my opinion.
Trevorchef and mokumboi liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:52 a.m.
I think this is excellent, very well thought out. It's sad that it takes this much explaining as both our fanbases have blown this out of proportion (I'm part of the problem). By looking at the Blues needs (talented wingers and D-prospects) & Leafs needs (RHD and cost controlled forwards), the Blues and Leafs are very good partners to be.
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:52 a.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
I'm going to agree with you on multiple levels. This is (in my opinion) an over payment, and they definitely will get this kind of return from someone. I hope they don't offer this kind of package. I can see Keefe wanting to get Liljegren up with the big boys starting next year. Kapanen, I believe, can be moved for another piece, i just hope it does not result in a rental player coming back

Exactly my thinking. Thanks for your feedback. (More importantly, thank you for actually reading the description and not just responding blindly with Blue Tinted Goggles).
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: Brigid1011
Without getting into value wouldn’t it make more sense looking at the Blues roster for them to want a left handed defender over a righty? The left side of their defense is getting old and they need replacements soon.

An excellent point. That would probably involve Sandin. Which would still be a no go from my personal perspective. Thanks for the intelligent feedback.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: Trevorchef
An excellent point. That would probably involve Sandin. Which would still be a no go from my personal perspective. Thanks for the intelligent feedback.

I was going to say Sandin but that’s a no go from the Leafs as it should be in my opinion.

LD prospect
Top 9 winger
1st

Seems a little more in line with what the Blues should be seeking.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:01 a.m.

I think we found common grounds. I do however not think Blues have any intentions of letting Mr. Pietrangelo go. Pietrangelo's wife is from St.Louis and as I have explained before she doesn't want to leave st.louis. His boys triplets I don't think it's the easiest to move his Triplets away from family have to have a new home, and a new you need to find, and from a pure perspective I don't think Pietrangelo wants to go. Pietrangelo is already captain of the team, and also has a cup, he can make a lot of money here, maybe not 8 figure numbers, but definitely at least 8 Million per year (which is more than he would be making at this time now) now some of the speculation that we are opening him up to availability has been from a wishful perspective.

Now for what you have on your trade. If most people compare his contract re-signing to Karlsson it should probably be the same when it comes to trade acquisition as well, but getting people to transition that has never happened as every intention on arguments are meant to screw the team over. Reasonably 1st, Liljegren, Kapanen, Timashov, and a 2nd WITH the condition of a re-signing at the end of the season the 2nd turns into a first. Or you can guarantee yourself a contract at the price of whatever you put it as. If people are so fond on saying you have to base a Pietrangelo contract on Karlsson then I think it is only fair you do the same in a trade. (Note: Liljegren or Sandin the worst of the 2, Timashov is a B Prospect guy so try to explain if he is or not because i have no real note of that, 1st should be late in 2021, 2nd is 2022 because you have no 2020 First round so the condition can't be after that.)

But this is very well thought out, I like the idea that you are bringing to head, but at the same time I feel Blues would like to re-sign him rather than trade him.
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.
#LeafsFever
I've accepted your direction and read your description. I guess to start, I fundamentally disagree with your opinion. The Blues have not made anything clear by not yet extending their Captain. As has been reported by multiple outlets, Blues GM and Pietrangelo's reps have already met twice this season. I would say if anything, their intention has been made clear they would like to at least make a valiant attempt to sign him. The Blues want to give Pietrangelo OEL type money, and now with Roman Josi's extremely recent contract extension, there is another solid comp that could get an extension done for under $10 million. If the Blues weren't having a great season (not that it matters really considering where they were at this point last season), I would say perhaps they would look to get rid of him, but they are a legitimate contender for the Cup, so why trade their #1 defender? Since your overall logic does not make sense, I will not comment on this deal.
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.
What in tarnation

Yeah TLDR tbf
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I think we found common grounds. I do however not think Blues have any intentions of letting Mr. Pietrangelo go. Pietrangelo's wife is from St.Louis and as I have explained before she doesn't want to leave st.louis. His boys triplets I don't think it's the easiest to move his Triplets away from family have to have a new home, and a new you need to find, and from a pure perspective I don't think Pietrangelo wants to go. Pietrangelo is already captain of the team, and also has a cup, he can make a lot of money here, maybe not 8 figure numbers, but definitely at least 8 Million per year (which is more than he would be making at this time now) now some of the speculation that we are opening him up to availability has been from a wishful perspective.

Now for what you have on your trade. If most people compare his contract re-signing to Karlsson it should probably be the same when it comes to trade acquisition as well, but getting people to transition that has never happened as every intention on arguments are meant to screw the team over. Reasonably 1st, Liljegren, Kapanen, Timashov, and a 2nd WITH the condition of a re-signing at the end of the season the 2nd turns into a first. Or you can guarantee yourself a contract at the price of whatever you put it as. If people are so fond on saying you have to base a Pietrangelo contract on Karlsson then I think it is only fair you do the same in a trade. (Note: Liljegren or Sandin the worst of the 2, Timashov is a B Prospect guy so try to explain if he is or not because i have no real note of that, 1st should be late in 2021, 2nd is 2022 because you have no 2020 First round so the condition can't be after that.)

But this is very well thought out, I like the idea that you are bringing to head, but at the same time I feel Blues would like to re-sign him rather than trade him.

I agree. He’s going to stay in St Louis. I don’t think he has any interest in moving his family away. I feel like he’s indicated or said this before as well. They love it there.
Trevorchef and mokumboi liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:11 a.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown

That may in fact turn out to be the case. If they can make it a win/win for both sides, it would make sense to keep him IMO. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:13 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
I get what youre saying and i also dont think getting petro is a good idea. hes not a great penalty killer but hes still very good. the leafs wont trade sandin but maybe look at lilly even though i thing its a bad idea. With stlouis having a weak left side a think it would be a good idea for a rielly+ for paryako. maybe rielly and bracco? I feel dermott is ready to step up into the top 4 at this point and rilly having a similar contract to parayko helps both teams. stl already has Faulk and if they were to resign their captain there would be no room for parayko
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:15 a.m.
Banned
Not even close for Pietrangelo, And where are you coming up with the $9 million per for 7 years next season to pay him?
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
@Trevorchef Appreciate the explanation and I agree with pretty much all of it. Two things though: I think the third option, the Blues extending Petro, is very much a possibility - probably the most likely IMO despite hearing no news on that front; and you say there would be a lot of teams competing for Petro, but I really don't see that many good fits... first off, if the Blues have any shot at the playoffs, he probably wouldn't be offered to western conf teams. Second, his full NTC would let him pick his destinations - I don't know him but I feel like he wouldn't leave STL unless it was maybe Tampa (best roster if is looking for a cup) or Toronto (best fit for their roster and hometown). What other places that Petro would agree to do you think would be interested in paying the price?
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
Quoting: Jack_
I get what youre saying and i also dont think getting petro is a good idea. hes not a great penalty killer but hes still very good. the leafs wont trade sandin but maybe look at lilly even though i thing its a bad idea. With stlouis having a weak left side a think it would be a good idea for a rielly+ for paryako. maybe rielly and bracco? I feel dermott is ready to step up into the top 4 at this point and rilly having a similar contract to parayko helps both teams. stl already has Faulk and if they were to resign their captain there would be no room for parayko

Interesting. I still believe that Parayko is a no go from the Blues perspective. If the opportunity presented itself, I would make that trade that you suggested in a heartbeat. I just don't think that the Blues would be onboard for that. IF LHD is the goal, perhaps they could be. Tough call.
Jack_ liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:21 a.m.
Quoting: Jack_

Interesting idea. I seriously doubt the Leafs would do it as I’d imagine the preference would be to get a RD to play with him but I like your thinking here.
Jack_ liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: A_K
@Trevorchef Appreciate the explanation and I agree with pretty much all of it. Two things though: I think the third option, the Blues extending Petro, is very much a possibility - probably the most likely IMO despite hearing no news on that front; and you say there would be a lot of teams competing for Petro, but I really don't see that many good fits... first off, if the Blues have any shot at the playoffs, he probably wouldn't be offered to western conf teams. Second, his full NTC would let him pick his destinations - I don't know him but I feel like he wouldn't leave STL unless it was maybe Tampa (best roster if is looking for a cup) or Toronto (best fit for their roster and hometown). What other places that Petro would agree to do you think would be interested in paying the price?

Good question. It would probably have to be a team in the East. His NMC is the trump card. If he like it in St. Louis as much as some of you have indicated here, it is probably a moot point to be honest.

One team that does come to mind is the Islanders. They have the Cap Space, the Pick Capital, and the Prospect Pool to facilitate a trade like that. But, I doubt he would agree to going there. I wouldn't. Especially considering the family situation.
A_K liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:24 a.m.
Interesting. I still believe that Parayko is a no go from the Blues perspective. If the opportunity presented itself, I would make that trade that you suggested in a heartbeat. I just don't think that the Blues would be onboard for that. IF LHD is the goal, perhaps they could be. Tough call.

Hasn’t Parayko been playing the left side lately? Would it make sense to make it more permanent? Then AP and Faulk down the right
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:27 a.m.
Nice to be part of a reasonable conversation on CapFriendly for a change. Cheers to all involved Nice change after the PatKane idiot.
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.
I still think there’s a deal to be made between the Sabres and Leafs for an RD. Seems more likely than a deal for AP/Parayko.
Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: Brigid1011
Nice to be part of a reasonable conversation on CapFriendly for a change. Cheers to all involved Nice change after the PatKane idiot.

Agreed. It really isn't difficult if you put some effort in and look at things from both sides of the fence. There isn't enough intelligent two way conversation these days in here. Thanks to all who have participated. Refreshing indeed. Cheers!
deleted_12392840 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll