SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed Charlie Coyle (6 Years / $5,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 8, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: hanson493
I dont disagree, but at the same time, as ive mentioned multiple times, krejcis deal ends next year. bergeron the year after. Idk if you are a bruins fan but i know what our center prospects are right now. we have studnicka, beecher, frederic, shen. Studnicka looks good, frederic hasnt looked good when he plays up here. Beecher is a rookie. shen they just brought into the ahl. Im under the assumption krejci will not be back after this contract is up. which would slot coyle in as a 2c. 5.25m for a 2c is not bad. lets studnicka get a real feel for the nhl. at 3c then takes over 1st line duties for bergy when his contract is up, hopefully he comes back at a lesser hit and becomes our 3rd c kinda like what thornton is doing with the sharks. But with Bergys groin history i dont see that as likely. Coyle is very dependable, you know what you are getting. I like the signing, i think its a slight overpay by about 250k but ide rather overpay 250k than overpay millions on a similar player.

I am not a bruins fan, but I just don't like the signing.

However, it isn't the dollar figure I dislike as much as the term. Personally, if he wanted $5.5 or $5.75M and signed to 3 or 4 years, I would be more inclined to like the signing even if the AAV was a bit much. To me, the AAV is already not ideal, which is why I don't like the extra term, it didn't bring the price down.

Either way, I don't think Boston's cap situation is going to get bad because of a single signing, this signing isn't that level of bad, I just don't like the bet and I don't like the fit long term.

I think there is a lot of value in flexibility, and when you think about the decisions Boston may face in a couple of years (Krejci is a 35 year old UFA, Bergeron will be 1 year from UFA and 36, Marchand will be 33, and Pastrnak will be two years away from a likely massive raise), I don't like commitments that run well past then to non-essential players.

If this is the worst contract Boston signs in the next 3-5 years, they will be in good shape, this would be a good worst contract, but in a vacuum, it doesn't make me like this contract in terms of it's value.
hanson493 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit