Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Blues

Created by: BigAnderson
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 28, 2019
Published: Nov. 28, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
All these rumours surrounding blues and Leafs, I just a lot fans thinking Leafs can rob them for Parayko or Pietrangelo. Why not create a bold move for both sides
Rielly is stud no doubt, but so is Parayko and he’s a better fit for Toronto’s needs as our PK is terrible as was our biggest downfall against Boston in the playoffs last year along with Kadri’s suspension. Adding Parayko to the PK unit helps Leafs more than losing Rielly hurts our power play. Furthermore Barbashev has more of the attributes that we miss from Kadri than Kerfoot does. He adds some sandpaper to the bottom 6 that is sorely missing in Toronto.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$81,047,143$0$70,000$452,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,475,000$1,475,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 28, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Bad trade for the leafs
Nov. 28, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Banned
All these Leaf fans robbing St Louis, "How about we do a bold move for both side.".....proceeds to absolutely obliterate TO.

Rielly is better than Parayko
Johnsson and Kerfoot are worth more than both Allen and Barbashev. This is a horribly 1 sided trade.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: LoganOllivier
All these Leaf fans robbing St Louis, "How about we do a bold move for both side.".....proceeds to absolutely obliterate TO.

Johnsson and Kerfoot are worth more than both Allen and Barbashev. This is a horribly 1 sided trade.

Is Reilly really better than Parayko? I mean Reilly is top-5 offensively, but is truly awful defensively whereas Parayko is top-5 defensively and slightly below average offensively. You could make the argument and it really depends on what you value, but it’s not black and white at all. But yeah, the Leafs wouldn’t do this trade.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.

Honestly now that I think about it Rielly and Parayko are closer than people think. Parayko is just probably Top 3 in Defense (might be a little lower but I can only think Slavin and I’m slipping on the other guy ???) but Allen sucks and Barbashev is 3C at best Kerfoot could get up to around a 2C and Johnson is around a 2nd Line right now. I know Toronto has a need for a backup but not at that cost.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: STLBlues17
Is Reilly really better than Parayko? I mean Reilly is top-5 offensively, but is truly awful defensively whereas Parayko is top-5 defensively and slightly below average offensively. You could make the argument and it really depends on what you value, but it’s not black and white at all. But yeah, the Leafs wouldn’t do this trade.

He is not awful defensively. Rielly is fantastic but was, like the rest of the team, using a system that absolutely didn't work. So many times where Rielly was blamed for bad defence was when he went to get the puck behind the net or the corner and someone went to the slot and the other team scored. That isn't Rielly's fault, that is the system's fault because there was no support. Keefe's system protects the high danger areas and has the whole team playing as a cohesive 5 man unit. Rielly is good defensively, and he's one of the best puck movers in the NHL and his skating is next level. He is better than Parayko. He's a better skater, a better puck handler, has way more offensive ability and is still going to get better.

Now please don't take this as me saying Parayko isn't terrific he absolutely is, he'd be the 2nd best defender in TO I'd wager, but he is still not at the level of Rielly. I think in 3 months, no one is going to think Parayko is equal to Rielly. I know it was only Detroit last night but they had a 20-4 advantage in high danger scoring chances and since Keefe has come in, they've been a positive team in the possession realm in every game and dominant in 2 of those games. They were a little bit better at 5v5 against Colorado and they are a legit cup contender.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Honestly now that I think about it Rielly and Parayko are closer than people think. Parayko is just probably Top 3 in Defense (might be a little lower but I can only think Slavin and I’m slipping on the other guy ???) but Allen sucks and Barbashev is 3C at best Kerfoot could get up to around a 2C and Johnson is around a 2nd Line right now. I know Toronto has a need for a backup but not at that cost.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate Parayko. He is an absolute beast and I'd take him in a heart beat. I just don't think the cost is something I'd be willing to pay. To get Parayko I think it would have to include one of Marner or Nylander, whatever else is involved is not something I want to discuss but to get Parayko its going to cost one of those guys and I wouldn't really want to do that move at this time. Mainly because I think the "TO's defence is garbage." mentality is incorrect. I think their system was a joke and Keefe is fixing that, and I really think the goals against for TO is going to drop a bunch.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
Sam
He is not awful defensively. Rielly is fantastic but was, like the rest of the team, using a system that absolutely didn't work. So many times where Rielly was blamed for bad defence was when he went to get the puck behind the net or the corner and someone went to the slot and the other team scored. That isn't Rielly's fault, that is the system's fault because there was no support. Keefe's system protects the high danger areas and has the whole team playing as a cohesive 5 man unit. Rielly is good defensively, and he's one of the best puck movers in the NHL and his skating is next level. He is better than Parayko. He's a better skater, a better puck handler, has way more offensive ability and is still going to get better.

Now please don't take this as me saying Parayko isn't terrific he absolutely is, he'd be the 2nd best defender in TO I'd wager, but he is still not at the level of Rielly. I think in 3 months, no one is going to think Parayko is equal to Rielly. I know it was only Detroit last night but they had a 20-4 advantage in high danger scoring chances and since Keefe has come in, they've been a positive team in the possession realm in every game and dominant in 2 of those games. They were a little bit better at 5v5 against Colorado and they are a legit cup contender.

He’s been pretty bad most of his career though. Even last year his defensive numbers weren’t pretty at all.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: STLBlues17
He’s been pretty bad most of his career though. Even last year his defensive numbers weren’t pretty at all.

He had Ron Hainsey as a partner. He's never had a decent partner and that has hurt him defensively. On top of that, the system wasn't working. He for sure isn't as good defensively as Parayko but he isn't terrible defensively, he's pretty good but needs to be in a system that emphasizes a cohesive 5 man unit. Plus he's been hurt this season and I think that has had an impact.
STLBlues17 liked this.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:17 p.m.
I started out just doing either kerfoot or Johnsson with Rielly for Barbashev and Parayko. Added both and Allen to make total cap closer to each other. Barbashev and Parayko are absolutely better for what Toronto needs than Rielly and Kerfoot. Im a Leafs fan and a Muzzin Parayko top pairing is 100 times better than any pairing the Leafs have had on D in 20 years
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
He had Ron Hainsey as a partner. He's never had a decent partner and that has hurt him defensively. On top of that, the system wasn't working. He for sure isn't as good defensively as Parayko but he isn't terrible defensively, he's pretty good but needs to be in a system that emphasizes a cohesive 5 man unit. Plus he's been hurt this season and I think that has had an impact.

Parayko has had Bouwmeester as his partner most of his career and consistently does better defensively. When Bouwmeester is a defensive liability.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
Sicarius
Maybe add Pietrangelo and Schenn to the deal
mokumboi liked this.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:24 p.m.
I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate Parayko. He is an absolute beast and I'd take him in a heart beat. I just don't think the cost is something I'd be willing to pay. To get Parayko I think it would have to include one of Marner or Nylander, whatever else is involved is not something I want to discuss but to get Parayko its going to cost one of those guys and I wouldn't really want to do that move at this time. Mainly because I think the "TO's defence is garbage." mentality is incorrect. I think their system was a joke and Keefe is fixing that, and I really think the goals against for TO is going to drop a bunch.

Here’s my opinion on that. Until we see more than a small few games sample size of Keefe I think Parayko is still probably pretty close to Rielly. And after the last few months Parayko was better because of the system. Now I will give Rielly a benefit of the doubt based on the system failing. But Parayko has done better than what Rielly can do defensively. Rielly is shown as a defensive liability on multiple charts and Parayko does not. Rielly is elite on offense, and Parayko is probably actually a little below average or maybe around average.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Banned
Parayko has had Bouwmeester as his partner most of his career and consistently does better defensively. When Bouwmeester is a defensive liability.

Bouwmeester even now, is still 1000% better than Hainsey, he's probably still better than Ceci. Bus really I don't want to take anything away from Parayko, he's terrific. He's just not as good as Rielly overall.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Bouwmeester even now, is still 1000% better than Hainsey, he's probably still better than Ceci. Bus really I don't want to take anything away from Parayko, he's terrific. He's just not as good as Rielly overall.

Bouwmeester is worse at defense than Hainsey is tho so it’s more of a give or take.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: Sicarius
Maybe add Pietrangelo and Schenn to the deal

Add to it or put in place of? I’d take Parayko over Pietrangelo because he’s younger,cheaper, and still has term. No way the Blues give up Schenn for one or both middle 6 wingers. ( I know Kerfoot is technically a centre, but anybody that actually watches him play can see he’s better suited for the wing.)
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Banned
Here’s my opinion on that. Until we see more than a small few games sample size of Keefe I think Parayko is still probably pretty close to Rielly. And after the last few months Parayko was better because of the system. Now I will give Rielly a benefit of the doubt based on the system failing. But Parayko has done better than what Rielly can do defensively. Rielly is shown as a defensive liability on multiple charts and Parayko does not. Rielly is elite on offense, and Parayko is probably actually a little below average or maybe around average.

I know people like to use shot heat maps to prove how bad defensively Rielly is, but that is such wrong way to look at things. Rielly and the rest of the Leafs constantly got burned by chasing the puck away from the net and the centre not rotating down to defend the slot. That was a system thing. Babs wanted the points covered so you had 2 wingers hanging around the blue line and that often left the middle of the ice pretty open. So you'd see Rielly go after a guy in the corner or behind the net and then someone would slide in front and get a grade A chance and score. That doesn't happen in the new system. They protect the front of the net and defend as a 5 man unit. Why Babs thought his system would work is beyond me, but Rielly is definitely an amazing player. He's so good with the puck and his skating is elite. Yeah he takes chances and sometimes that'll burn him but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Banned
Bouwmeester is worse at defense than Hainsey is tho so it’s more of a give or take.

Hainsey just sucks man. He's so slow now and could never get back and recover whenever anything went wrong. He was just terrible in the role Babs put him in. Rielly played almost the entire year like he had a pylon for a partner. This season, its been a combination of bad system, injury and bad luck thats really hurt him. I think Keefe's plan of holding onto the puck, is absolutely perfect for Rielly. I think he's for sure a top 5 puck rushing defender. Maybe top 3.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
I know people like to use shot heat maps to prove how bad defensively Rielly is, but that is such wrong way to look at things. Rielly and the rest of the Leafs constantly got burned by chasing the puck away from the net and the centre not rotating down to defend the slot. That was a system thing. Babs wanted the points covered so you had 2 wingers hanging around the blue line and that often left the middle of the ice pretty open. So you'd see Rielly go after a guy in the corner or behind the net and then someone would slide in front and get a grade A chance and score. That doesn't happen in the new system. They protect the front of the net and defend as a 5 man unit. Why Babs thought his system would work is beyond me, but Rielly is definitely an amazing player. He's so good with the puck and his skating is elite. Yeah he takes chances and sometimes that'll burn him but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

I love Rielly and am no way saying I’d want to see him moved out. However I think to realistically get a defender like Parayko the Leafs have to give up something back. Parayko is so good in his own end that I would trade any one of our defensemen for him and just feel Rielly is who it would take. With Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin being left side guys I could live with losing Rielly of it meant bringing in a Parayko
Nov. 28, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BigAnderson
I love Rielly and am no way saying I’d want to see him moved out. However I think to realistically get a defender like Parayko the Leafs have to give up something back. Parayko is so good in his own end that I would trade any one of our defensemen for him and just feel Rielly is who it would take. With Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin being left side guys I could live with losing Rielly of it meant bringing in a Parayko

Muzzin is FA and is 30. Rielly is going to be a Norris finalist one of these days, if you have one of those, you don't trade it. Rielly is better than all out other defenders and its not close.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
Muzzin is FA and is 30. Rielly is going to be a Norris finalist one of these days, if you have one of those, you don't trade it. Rielly is better than all out other defenders and its not close.

I think that is a bit overboard. He won’t be a Norris Winner. I don’t think he is that type of player.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 4:12 p.m.
Banned
I think that is a bit overboard. He won’t be a Norris Winner. I don’t think he is that type of player.

5th in votes last season and he is absolutely that good of a player. Give him a real partner and a system that doesn't hang everyone out to dry all the time and Rielly is one of the best defenceman on the planet. I don't care what anyone says, he is absolutely that good. He also elevates his game when he needs to. He's a beast.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 4:16 p.m.
5th in votes last season and he is absolutely that good of a player. Give him a real partner and a system that doesn't hang everyone out to dry all the time and Rielly is one of the best defenceman on the planet. I don't care what anyone says, he is absolutely that good. He also elevates his game when he needs to. He's a beast.

Real partner or not 5th place is not as close as you think. If he was Top 3 then we are talking.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Banned
Real partner or not 5th place is not as close as you think. If he was Top 3 then we are talking.

He should have been a finalist, I thought it was a complete joke he didn't get more votes. But Rielly is also one of my favorite players so obviously I have a bias. He is still only 25 and I think a lot of people don't realize that.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
He should have been a finalist, I thought it was a complete joke he didn't get more votes. But Rielly is also one of my favorite players so obviously I have a bias. He is still only 25 and I think a lot of people don't realize that.

In a young mans league the peak has shown to drop in age to 23 as your Peak.
Nov. 28, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
Banned
In a young mans league the peak has shown to drop in age to 23 as your Peak.

For forwards, that is when they usually enter their prime and for defenceman its about a year later. Rielly is terrific. So is Parayko. These teams won't make a blockbuster. I'd be shocked if they did.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll