Forums/Armchair-GM

Can A Healthy Leafs Team Beat The Bruins

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 29, 2019
Published: Nov. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Honestly, I don't think so, but if they want to try and beat them, the keys to the game will be to shut down the top line and not take penalties. That is extremely unlikely since the Leafs' defence is not the best, plus the Bruins play a heavy forecheck cycle game which is unstoppable. What'd you guys think?
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,352,699$0$0$147,301
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:15 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The Leafs shut down the B's top line using Nikita Zaitsev last year. If they play again, it'll be a coin toss just like last year.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Canes Baby
*singing loudly* Firsttt roundeeeeeeed
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:19 p.m.
If the buds stay outta the box they can beat the bruins, but they also gotta out work them, the leafs are more skilled but the bruins are hard to beat cuz of how hard the whole teams works together
deleted_12392840 liked this.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:21 p.m.
Banned
Boston's cycle game would have destroyed the Leafs under Babs system, however the changes Keefe are making is going to limit those opportunities.

Why it was so effective before is because you had the Leaf forwards blowing the zone all the time and waiting for stretch passes, when it didn't work, Boston swarmed them in the defensive zone. Now, Keefe has them exiting the zone in 5 man units with a lot more speed and way more puck support. Try one side and if its blocked you calmly turn back and try again. The new system doesn't really give oponents a tonne of opportunities close to the net since everyone is being instructed to fall back to protect the slot. Its going to be really interesting to see what happens when these two teams play next. I think line for line, TO is a lot deeper and significantly faster, that combined with the puck possession system Keefe wants is going to force Boston to spend a lot of time defending. It'll be close and I think the special teams will be the difference. If TO can keep the puck out of the net on even 75% of their PK's it could be the difference.
Leafs_fan13 liked this.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:22 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jslongo
*singing loudly* Firsttt roundeeeeeeed

You know whats really funny. The system Keefe is implementing is very similar to what Carolina has, but TO has more skill and speed. It'll be really interesting to see what people are saying come February.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jeff85
If the buds stay outta the box they can beat the bruins, but they also gotta out work them, the leafs are more skilled but the bruins are hard to beat cuz of how hard the whole teams works together

Boston is hard to beat because lines 2-4 play very sound defensive work. They always are close to even or slightly above with those lines and then the perfection line destroys teams. I don't think toughness or hard work has much to do with their success as a commitment to the system has. I think if you can negate their top line and make the other lines defend constantly, you'll come out on top. Stopping that line however is difficult. I wonder if Keefe will try to form his own super line to match against them.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
I would be interested to see what some lineups moves look like to help stop the B's.

Match Mikheyev-Tavares-Hyman against the top line as much as possible. You can't shut them down fully, but those guys are defensively responsible and will make it tough for them to get extended zone time. The ideal D pairing here is maybe Muzzin-Holl?

Have Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander up next with Reilly and Ceci. Should be able to overpower Boston's 2nd line and gain an advantage.

Then Marner-Kerfoot-Kappy with Derms and Barrie. Lots of offence for a third group would hopefully be able to take advantage of their slower/heavier third group.

I would play my fourth line as little as possible,.

Does that do the job? Who knows, lots can change, injuries on either side could change things. Would be another very tight fun series, too bad it won't be in the conference final.
I4evrblue and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:28 p.m.
If they can slow down the first line they can win a series. I'm interested in seeing if Keefe can pull something out of his ass to accomplish that, it's something Babcock has never been able to do. Because Keefe is everything Babcock isn't then maybe he's exactly what the doctor ordered.
Put the new Mik/JT/Hyman line out against Bergeron and co. as much as possible and stay out of the box and I like their chances.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:31 p.m.
Banned
If TOR had forwards who weren't afraid to hit people they would have a much better chance.
The way to beat Boston is to pound on the 1st line game after game and not give an inch. The rat is small, the old man is prone to injury, and pasta ain't much bigger than the rat.
If you had a player in AM who was willing to use that 6'3 220lb frame to beat on them, with say Hyman and Mikhevev TOR would stand a chance. But TOR forwards are hit adverse.
You make the 1st line slow down by looking over it's shoulder and constantly picking itself off the ice, and you disrupt the vast majority of their offense.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:33 p.m.
Canes Baby
Quoting: LoganOllivier
You know whats really funny. The system Keefe is implementing is very similar to what Carolina has, but TO has more skill and speed. It'll be really interesting to see what people are saying come February.

Nooo the funny part is consistently sh1tting on the leafs!
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:46 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jslongo
Nooo the funny part is consistently sh1tting on the leafs!

Lol, nicely done sir.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: newballcoach
I would be interested to see what some lineups moves look like to help stop the B's.

Match Mikheyev-Tavares-Hyman against the top line as much as possible. You can't shut them down fully, but those guys are defensively responsible and will make it tough for them to get extended zone time. The ideal D pairing here is maybe Muzzin-Holl?

Have Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander up next with Reilly and Ceci. Should be able to overpower Boston's 2nd line and gain an advantage.

Then Marner-Kerfoot-Kappy with Derms and Barrie. Lots of offence for a third group would hopefully be able to take advantage of their slower/heavier third group.

I would play my fourth line as little as possible,.

Does that do the job? Who knows, lots can change, injuries on either side could change things. Would be another very tight fun series, too bad it won't be in the conference final.

Interesting. I like this approach lots.

Would only counter with a top line of Nylander/AM/Mitch, cause I'm not sure if Mitch gets enough ice otherwise. But I like the idea of Mikheyev/ JT/Hyman trying to contain Boston's top line and then force Boston to try to contain Toronto's 3 young guns. I'd imagine that both teams would trade punches on that type of matchup with each teams bottom six being the difference maker.. along with whoever has the hot goalie.

I hope they meet up again this year. The last two years have been fun, even if we came up short both times.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
If TOR had forwards who weren't afraid to hit people they would have a much better chance.
The way to beat Boston is to pound on the 1st line game after game and not give an inch. The rat is small, the old man is prone to injury, and pasta ain't much bigger than the rat.
If you had a player in AM who was willing to use that 6'3 220lb frame to beat on them, with say Hyman and Mikhevev TOR would stand a chance. But TOR forwards are hit adverse.
You make the 1st line slow down by looking over it's shoulder and constantly picking itself off the ice, and you disrupt the vast majority of their offense.

Man, I'd love to see AM play with an edge. He did it in one game this year and it was really something to see. He seemed generally more engaged in his overall game and he was still dangerous offensively. I don't know if he has the temperament to sustain that kind of game, but I'd like to see more of it.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow

TBH last year I thought they did an okay job of disrupting the big line. They made Marchand be the transition guy often, which is his weakness and an area he is much weaker then the other two. To his credit, he was able to get them in the offensive zone a lot and then find ways to the front of the net and score. I think the plan was strong, the execution just didn't get it done.

If that series is officiated better I think the Leafs win it, hopefully that aspect of the game will be more even next time.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 2:18 p.m.
Yes. The leafs had a chance to do it last year but failed. We played well against Boston for most of the series and our was game was game 7 3rd period. It’s the playoffs anything is possible. Cbj swept Tampa and everyone was saying a sweep for Tampa. You never know with the playoffs
Nov. 29, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
CHI NYI
If it comes down to a single game, like it has the last two years, then there’s absolutely no reason why they can’t. They’ve just gotten outplayed. I know that isn’t very nuanced, but at the end of the day, anyone can beat anyone on any given day in this league.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
Sicarius
The Leafs have been healthy every year
Nov. 29, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
In 2018, the Leafs were out coached easily in game 7, Admitting Gardiner had the worse game of his life. Last year, Dermot and Gardiner were playing after being rushed back from injuries.
There seems to be this illusion that the Bruins "destroyed" the Leafs in those two series. Far from it...two very close series.
Having Keefe and not Babcock gives the Leafs a boost from last season. I still say the missing combo Zaitsev, Hainsey and Gardiner and better than the replacements of Ceci, Holl and Barrie, so again everything else being equal it's tossup.
First the Leaf have to dig themselves out of the hole of being in 12th place in the conference. Boston looks to first place finishers, and unless the Leafs can get into 2nd or 3rd, they could be playing the Bruins again as fourth place finishers in the first round But it could be 2nd and 3rd place Tampa and Leafs in the first round.
Nov. 29, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: newballcoach
TBH last year I thought they did an okay job of disrupting the big line. They made Marchand be the transition guy often, which is his weakness and an area he is much weaker then the other two. To his credit, he was able to get them in the offensive zone a lot and then find ways to the front of the net and score. I think the plan was strong, the execution just didn't get it done.

If that series is officiated better I think the Leafs win it, hopefully that aspect of the game will be more even next time.

stop blaming the refs. The officiating is never going to "get better."
It's a goon league they want "drama" it sells tickets and gets viewers
Nov. 29, 2019 at 5:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
In 2018, the Leafs were out coached easily in game 7, Admitting Gardiner had the worse game of his life. Last year, Dermot and Gardiner were playing after being rushed back from injuries.
There seems to be this illusion that the Bruins "destroyed" the Leafs in those two series. Far from it...two very close series.
Having Keefe and not Babcock gives the Leafs a boost from last season. I still say the missing combo Zaitsev, Hainsey and Gardiner and better than the replacements of Ceci, Holl and Barrie, so again everything else being equal it's tossup.
First the Leaf have to dig themselves out of the hole of being in 12th place in the conference. Boston looks to first place finishers, and unless the Leafs can get into 2nd or 3rd, they could be playing the Bruins again as fourth place finishers in the first round But it could be 2nd and 3rd place Tampa and Leafs in the first round.

It doesn't matter what round they play. In 7 games the best team wins.

I honestly thinking not being in 1st place is an advantage to teams. If you clinch 1st, you relax and let the foot off the pedal. But it's hard to put it back on.
Hell let Boston run away with 1st. It's one of the best things that could happen to knock them out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll