Forums/Armchair-GM

TDL moves

Created by: exo2769
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 25, 2019
Published: Nov. 30, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm not trying to be a downer here Hawks fans. Just trying to be realistic. This team is consistently inconsistent. That's NOT a good sign for any playoff run. Even with good goaltending, they cough up the puck and make too many turnovers. Last night Crow was hung out to dry way too many times.

AND now Keith is hurt. He's a huge part of the back end already. This team can't afford injuries to key people.

The trades are modeled off of a few trades from the past.

Lehner to CAR...the Zuccarello model type trade. Lower front end cost...higher back end cost.

Not a lot of goalie trades out there...hard to compare the Crow trade, but $3M retained, eating another $1.9M cap dump, and no long term committment is worth a 2nd.

Gus/Sikura - AZ is having some scoring issues. Chayka is an analytics GM so Sikura should be decently high on his radar. Gus can also help push the pace.

What you say to the team...
"Guys, I traded away Robin, Gus, and Crow. You haven't proven to me that you're a playoff team let alone a Stanley Cup Contender. This is why I'm trading for Picks/Prospects for the future. There is a silver lining to this. I know I made your job harder, but if you can somehow make the playoffs...I'll be a buyer this time next year."
Trades
CHI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (CAR)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
***BOTH conditional***

2020 2nd round jumps a 1st if CAR makes it to the Eastern Conf Finals

2021 2nd rounder jumps to a 2021 1st if CAR extends Lehner
CAR
  1. Lehner, Robin ($2,500,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Dell, Aaron
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (SJS)
SJS
  1. Crawford, Corey ($3,000,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (ARI)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (ARI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$67,495,853$0$7,557,500$14,004,147
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$1,900,000$1,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 30, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.
No GM is going to pay a 2nd for minor leaguer. The Hawks were very patient with Sikura. Extended his time with the big club, and couldn’t produce. There is no need to retain $3 million at the trading deadline. Sharks wouldn’t be paying Crow’s full salary.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 10:55 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Hawksince71
No GM is going to pay a 2nd for minor leaguer. The Hawks were very patient with Sikura. Extended his time with the big club, and couldn’t produce. There is no need to retain $3 million at the trading deadline. Sharks wouldn’t be paying Crow’s full salary.

The AZ trade isnt one for one. I think Gus provides more value than a pick in the mid / late 50's. The 2nd pick is to even out value.

SJ doesnt have cap space. They'll likely need to shed cap or have CHI retain in order for the trade to work. Doesn't have to be the full $3M, but whatever it takes to get the trade done.

Thanks for the post!
Nov. 30, 2019 at 11:24 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
There’s nothing wrong with being a bubble playoff team for a year, the team won’t win the cup this year, and that’s okay.

I also don’t think the Carolina trade is fair at all, Lehner as a rental is worth a first + alone… if you want to add conditions after the fact then okay, but let’s get that straight.
ChiHawk liked this.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Isn’t it time yet to address whether or not bowman/Colliton get fired? Honestly, bowman has had his chance and he’s found no consistency at every turn. As for Colliton, I don’t find him to be a good enough coach at all and let’s be honest, he’s just Bowman’s yes man and fall guy at this point. I get the logic with trades, but it’s time to get people in charge who are realistic and see that the team FINALLY needs a full rebuild!
Nov. 30, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Jzoni10
Things I don't agree with: Arizona doesn't need Sikura and I don't think them combined is 2 2nds. Also I understand you explained why you would trade both goalies, but why not have Lehner our future? Crawford has been with us, but I think Lehner would be much better down the road.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 12:34 p.m.
exo2769
@Stan_Bowman I agree, it's just that there aren't that many Goalie trades to compare. Figured that an earnout policy might be in order. Maybe an easier earn out?

@HatterTParty The hard part is...what's the last definitely bad move Stan's made? Some (maybe you?) might argue Dach, but that's hard to argue right now. All the rookies are showing that...they're rookies. Some may argue Joki, but Nylander's doing better than I had predicted. DeHaan was a GREAT trade. Lehner an Outstanding Signing. Carpenter is a great signing, Kampf, Kubalik...these are all good moves. It's almost impossible to say he hasn't done a good job. I'd even argue that he's done a GREAT job lately. I don't see him getting fired.

@Jzoni10 Maybe the AZ trade is a bit rich. I do think Chayka would like Sikura, but it can still be too rich a deal. Where would Lehner go next year? It boils down to only 2-4 teams that need a starting goalie. CAR, DET, CHI...probably 1 more, but if you place an extension limiter in the trade...then it's between CHI and DET. If he liked him time here he may be inclined to sign back with CHI anyway.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
No ones paying a second for Craw. If it was Lehner, then we talk
Nov. 30, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
@Stan_Bowman I agree, it's just that there aren't that many Goalie trades to compare. Figured that an earnout policy might be in order. Maybe an easier earn out?

@HatterTParty The hard part is...what's the last definitely bad move Stan's made? Some (maybe you?) might argue Dach, but that's hard to argue right now. All the rookies are showing that...they're rookies. Some may argue Joki, but Nylander's doing better than I had predicted. DeHaan was a GREAT trade. Lehner an Outstanding Signing. Carpenter is a great signing, Kampf, Kubalik...these are all good moves. It's almost impossible to say he hasn't done a good job. I'd even argue that he's done a GREAT job lately. I don't see him getting fired.

@Jzoni10 Maybe the AZ trade is a bit rich. I do think Chayka would like Sikura, but it can still be too rich a deal. Where would Lehner go next year? It boils down to only 2-4 teams that need a starting goalie. CAR, DET, CHI...probably 1 more, but if you place an extension limiter in the trade...then it's between CHI and DET. If he liked him time here he may be inclined to sign back with CHI anyway.

In all honesty, I know this idea splits a lot of fans, but to me it’s an amalgamation of the last five or so years. I’ll try to fit in as much information as I can think up.

Trades: Stan signed bickell to a 4 mil per deal that was instantly terrible. He offloaded him finally by having to give up teravanen. That one really hurt. Early that same year (2016), he gave up a first rounder and a prospect for a washed up rental of Andrew Ladd that failed miserably. He also traded Phillip danault that season too. He found out the hard way hammer was irreplaceable. I cannot, to this day, condone the joki trade. I don’t care how nylander is playing, the trade just had zero logic to it, especially considering how bad our defense is at moving the puck, just saying. Finally, the best for last, panarin for saad. Many people say Stan needed to for the cap. Sorry, but I’m calling bull****. Panarin has just signed a two year bridge deal. If Stan was worth his salt as a GM in the NHL, two years woulda been more than enough time to move pieces around a GENERATIONAL talent. Nuff said.

Coaching: he fired Coach Q. Joel Quennville. 2nd all time in wins. Three cups. Jack Adams winner. See where I’m going with that? His replacement? A yes man, inexperienced AHL coach in Jeremy Colliton. Let’s all be honest, Colliton is Bowman’s fall guy in case the team sucks. But why did he fire Q? Cuz Q wasn’t getting results right? I ****ing dare Scotty bowman to come out of retirement and coach those17-18 and 18-19 teams. They were disgraceful and all because of the moves that Stan made. Q’s coaching had nothing to do with how bad they were.

Time frame: Stan has claimed time and time again, this is a retool. Why? I’m genuinely asking why. What is their foundation? Kane? Of course. Toews? I guess so. Keith? Nope. Seabrook? Nope. Debrincat? Hopefully continues to thrive. Strome? As long as someone is carrying him along. This team is a shell of its former self and out of some bull**** feeling of obligation to Kane and toews, Stan keeps trying to just retool. I’m really sorry to feel this way, but this team needs a full rebuild. At least that way, it’ll feel like the team has a direction. Stan has had this team in neutral for the last 4-5 years.

I only hope that us missing the playoffs again this year finally puts the nail in the coffin for Stan. I don’t trust his judgement at all anymore. No one in Chicago should. Colliton is just a joke of a coach at this point too. Kane and toews just need to accept the window is closed, so stop fighting it! Just build for a better future already! Bowman and Colliton need to go first, then we can find a direction.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
exo2769
@HatterTParty The thing is...A lot of what you bring up doesn't have much to do with Stan at all though. I can site here and say Q is currently the best coach in the game and mean it. (I do for the record believe that) I can also say Stan's done a good job himself. Those comments are not linked. The only thing that gets linked is team success..and who needs a fall guy. Q was fired by John McDonough and Rocky Wirtz. YES, I understand that Stan and Q didn't get along great, but SO FREAKIN WHAT?! That's the point of upper management. John and Rocky could have just as easily fired Stan, BUT you know better than anyone...over the years Q's brought in "his guys" (Jamie Compon, Kevin Dineen, Mike Kitchen heck Kitchen is still his assistant in FLA) which is 100% fine! It's just when there's a carousel of "your guys" coming in and not fixing the problem...you're the fall guy. The situation is far more likely that no change was needed at all, but rather years and years of going for it @ the TDL making trades (that Q wanted too...cough cough Andrew Ladd...cough cough) like every team does depletes your farm system which happened.

This is a good transition to that Ladd Trade you referred to. The Hawks were firmly in Cup Contention. I mean, how could they not be? They were the reigning cup winners. I have ZERO problem with Stan trying to win another cup while the window is open. Everyone in the entire organization wanted him to make a move...yes even Q.

He's claiming it's a retool because he'll get fired if he doesn't. Rocky is a penny pincher and needs to sell tickets. Publicly saying that we're tearing this thing down while Toews/Kane are still on the team...while Debrincat/Strome are under just got into bars a few months ago...while we have young prospects ready to come into the NHL...would be a bad move. What would we be tearing down for anyway? Another 3rd OA pick. We got (3) of those all at various ages. In the end this is a business and Rocky needs to sell tickets.

I'm a believe in a retool. It's nice to have DeHaan, but in all seriousness...they don't have a #1Dman. Keith is at best a #2. Matta/DeHaan/Murphy are all good middle to bottom pair guys, but Where's the John Carlson, Victor Hedman, Brent Burns, etc... They don't have him anymore and it's hard to get one when Seabrook has $7M along with Toews/Kane getting $21M.

I agree that Stan's fault is extending his own players. Seabs, Bickell, Panik, etc... But he has gotten better at that. Gus for $1.2M is 1 example. I'd also say that he brings an element most GMs don't have. You bring up Panarin, but that's only because Stan stuck to his word and allowed Panarin to get his Schedule B bonus. Yes...it was on the 82nd game of the year firmly in the playoffs... That takes guts, but that also pays dividends. Guys like Kahun, Kampf, Kubalik, Kempny, Rutta, Wedin, and yes...even...Panarin. All CHOSE to come to Chicago. Not all of them when Q was here either. Yes, most of that due to the players, but part of that because if you sign your bonuses...you'll get a shot at them.

Again, I wouldn't have fired either of these guys. Going for it year after year is tough on a farm system, but we're at where we're at. I still wouldn't fire Stan...yet...he's made too many good moves recently.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
@HatterTParty The thing is...A lot of what you bring up doesn't have much to do with Stan at all though. I can site here and say Q is currently the best coach in the game and mean it. (I do for the record believe that) I can also say Stan's done a good job himself. Those comments are not linked. The only thing that gets linked is team success..and who needs a fall guy. Q was fired by John McDonough and Rocky Wirtz. YES, I understand that Stan and Q didn't get along great, but SO FREAKIN WHAT?! That's the point of upper management. John and Rocky could have just as easily fired Stan, BUT you know better than anyone...over the years Q's brought in "his guys" (Jamie Compon, Kevin Dineen, Mike Kitchen heck Kitchen is still his assistant in FLA) which is 100% fine! It's just when there's a carousel of "your guys" coming in and not fixing the problem...you're the fall guy. The situation is far more likely that no change was needed at all, but rather years and years of going for it @ the TDL making trades (that Q wanted too...cough cough Andrew Ladd...cough cough) like every team does depletes your farm system which happened.

This is a good transition to that Ladd Trade you referred to. The Hawks were firmly in Cup Contention. I mean, how could they not be? They were the reigning cup winners. I have ZERO problem with Stan trying to win another cup while the window is open. Everyone in the entire organization wanted him to make a move...yes even Q.

He's claiming it's a retool because he'll get fired if he doesn't. Rocky is a penny pincher and needs to sell tickets. Publicly saying that we're tearing this thing down while Toews/Kane are still on the team...while Debrincat/Strome are under just got into bars a few months ago...while we have young prospects ready to come into the NHL...would be a bad move. What would we be tearing down for anyway? Another 3rd OA pick. We got (3) of those all at various ages. In the end this is a business and Rocky needs to sell tickets.

I'm a believe in a retool. It's nice to have DeHaan, but in all seriousness...they don't have a #1Dman. Keith is at best a #2. Matta/DeHaan/Murphy are all good middle to bottom pair guys, but Where's the John Carlson, Victor Hedman, Brent Burns, etc... They don't have him anymore and it's hard to get one when Seabrook has $7M along with Toews/Kane getting $21M.

I agree that Stan's fault is extending his own players. Seabs, Bickell, Panik, etc... But he has gotten better at that. Gus for $1.2M is 1 example. I'd also say that he brings an element most GMs don't have. You bring up Panarin, but that's only because Stan stuck to his word and allowed Panarin to get his Schedule B bonus. Yes...it was on the 82nd game of the year firmly in the playoffs... That takes guts, but that also pays dividends. Guys like Kahun, Kampf, Kubalik, Kempny, Rutta, Wedin, and yes...even...Panarin. All CHOSE to come to Chicago. Not all of them when Q was here either. Yes, most of that due to the players, but part of that because if you sign your bonuses...you'll get a shot at them.

Again, I wouldn't have fired either of these guys. Going for it year after year is tough on a farm system, but we're at where we're at. I still wouldn't fire Stan...yet...he's made too many good moves recently.

Gotta say, I do love what you have to say. It is all very true and speaks to other issues at work with moves that were made.

That being said, the only question I have in response to your argument is: is it actually possible to make this team compete again when all we’re gonna do is retool? You argue that rocky needs to sell tickets and by proxy Stan can’t say “rebuild” cuz he’d be fired. As far as I’m concerned then, this team will never compete for a cup till Kane and toews retire. By then, years of debrincat and strome are wasted. Along with boqvist, beaudin, Mitchell, and dach. Dach could have a decent career in the NHL, who knows? But he’s not winning or even helping to win a Stanley cup with this team. This core is garbage now. De Haan is all well and good, but besides Keith and Murphy, he doesn’t have anything to work with. Not to mention our defense can’t skate or move the puck. Retooling is just patching holes on sinking ship hoping to get to port before the whole thing goes down.

So again, I ask, is it really possible for this to compete if all we do is retool?
exo2769 liked this.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Nov. 30, 2019 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Gotta say, I do love what you have to say. It is all very true and speaks to other issues at work with moves that were made.

That being said, the only question I have in response to your argument is: is it actually possible to make this team compete again when all we’re gonna do is retool? You argue that rocky needs to sell tickets and by proxy Stan can’t say “rebuild” cuz he’d be fired. As far as I’m concerned then, this team will never compete for a cup till Kane and toews retire. By then, years of debrincat and strome are wasted. Along with boqvist, beaudin, Mitchell, and dach. Dach could have a decent career in the NHL, who knows? But he’s not winning or even helping to win a Stanley cup with this team. This core is garbage now. De Haan is all well and good, but besides Keith and Murphy, he doesn’t have anything to work with. Not to mention our defense can’t skate or move the puck. Retooling is just patching holes on sinking ship hoping to get to port before the whole thing goes down.

So again, I ask, is it really possible for this to compete if all we do is retool?

My honest response is...not this year...hence this post actually. Get as many picks for your UFAs as you can. These trades also set up for the future. The CAR trade makes is really expensive if they extend Lehner. There aren't too many other teams out there looking for a #1 goalie...that can pay #1 goalie money. CHI and DET by my last look.

If we can get more picks...and maybe they even end up being decent picks...who knows. VAN was seriously close to swapping the #3 Plus Seabs for the #10 last year! Go to Seabs and VAN and try it again. We complain about Seabs play, but truly...is his play worse than last year...NO. Give him 17 min ATOI and now his hits, blocked shots, PDO, +/-, Giveaways, takeaways, etc... all trending in a better direction. The only reason his Corsi is dropping is because he's getting more Dzone starts...which he should be getting more Dzone starts. He actually has NHL caliber players next to him. He seriously didn't have than for 45% of last season.

Shed Zach Smith and that's $7M+$3M...and extra $10M to use. Teams can have 1 overpaid contract, but 2 or 3 is hard. If they get the extra cap space...who knows???

BUT to summarize. I do agree with you. It's kinda why this team was made. I don't see them being serious contenders until the cap is managed a little better and they get a reliable #1 or #2 Dman.
Nov. 30, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: papishark
No ones paying a second for Craw. If it was Lehner, then we talk

Keep Jones/Dell then. Good Luck
Nov. 30, 2019 at 6:13 p.m.
Keep Jones/Dell then. Good Luck

Will do thanks!
Nov. 30, 2019 at 10:42 p.m.
My honest response is...not this year...hence this post actually. Get as many picks for your UFAs as you can. These trades also set up for the future. The CAR trade makes is really expensive if they extend Lehner. There aren't too many other teams out there looking for a #1 goalie...that can pay #1 goalie money. CHI and DET by my last look.

If we can get more picks...and maybe they even end up being decent picks...who knows. VAN was seriously close to swapping the #3 Plus Seabs for the #10 last year! Go to Seabs and VAN and try it again. We complain about Seabs play, but truly...is his play worse than last year...NO. Give him 17 min ATOI and now his hits, blocked shots, PDO, +/-, Giveaways, takeaways, etc... all trending in a better direction. The only reason his Corsi is dropping is because he's getting more Dzone starts...which he should be getting more Dzone starts. He actually has NHL caliber players next to him. He seriously didn't have than for 45% of last season.

Shed Zach Smith and that's $7M+$3M...and extra $10M to use. Teams can have 1 overpaid contract, but 2 or 3 is hard. If they get the extra cap space...who knows???

BUT to summarize. I do agree with you. It's kinda why this team was made. I don't see them being serious contenders until the cap is managed a little better and they get a reliable #1 or #2 Dman.

We’re only half way through this game with the Avs and all I can think is, “sorry boys, rebuild time.” I get the love for de haan, he can be solid. But in this defensive scheme he is just not utilized well. As for lehner and crow, I did say earlier this season is the defense didn’t step up they’d give goals eventually. Exhibit A and B are last night and tonight. I respect that everyone “thinks” the hawks made themselves tougher, but under no circumstances are they harder to play against. Speed is absolutely killing them and all the grit and hitting in the world still doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t keep up with the other team. Dach could be good, who knows, but while he just remains a big body with hands, defenders like Cale makar and Bowen byram are just gonna be faster and laugh at him.

In conclusion, I love my hawks, but this team is embarrassing. We gotta stop pretending like retooling is the answer, it’s not. We have got to find some players who play with passion, drive, and SPEED! This isn’t a single player on this team outside Kane that is safely on the roster in opinion, bar none. We better hope our defensive prospects actually work out, cuz this Avs game, that’s what Colorado is gonna do for the next 10 years.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll