Pipe dream that could work

Created by: Dunphy66
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 30, 2019
Published: Dec. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Obviously, LOTS going on.

I think the Hall / Barrie trade are realistic trades pre deadline. The other moves would be to make space to re-sign hall, murray, mccann. Another trade to look at would be Galchenyuk to open more space.

Thoughts? How crazy am I on this?
Trades
MIN
  1. Bjugstad, Nick ($500,000 retained)
PIT
  1. 2020 4th round pick (LAK)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$66,394,958$132,500$3,832,500$15,105,042

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 1, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
Banned
What kind of trade is that? Rust alone is worth much more than Hall.
Dunphy66 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan

Yikes on that take. Yikes times a billion
Dec. 1, 2019 at 1:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Dunphy66
Yikes on that take. Yikes times a billion

Rust has 17 points in 14 games, 9 goals. Hall has 21 points in 25 games yet only 4 goals. Rust has 2 more years remaining on just 3.5 million a year, Hall is a pending UFA. Yet you feel the need to give up 2 top prospects, and a first as well? Gross overpayment.
palhal and t2a2e9j12k2 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
IMO these so many of these Hall trades are gross overpayments. Minni and LA have no interest in taking on that additional cap. Leaf trade could be deal.
oneX liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.
Rust has 17 points in 14 games, 9 goals. Hall has 21 points in 25 games yet only 4 goals. Rust has 2 more years remaining on just 3.5 million a year, Hall is a pending UFA. Yet you feel the need to give up 2 top prospects, and a first as well? Gross overpayment.

You've gotta be trolling right? Rust playing with Malkin and Guentzel is VERY VERY VERY different than Hall playing with Nico Hischier and Kyle Palmieri lol. QoT matters in the league.

It's not a gross overpayment, it's not even an overpayment at all. This isn't a video game where you mash things together and add 40 picks to get someone to accept. The Devils aren't going to take Bjugstad back for Hall lol.

"Rust is worth much more than Hall" LOL. Taylor Hall skated 33 games last season and scored Rusts career high. If you're going to comment, atleast offer something intelligent.
niko liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
IMO these so many of these Hall trades are gross overpayments. Minni and LA have no interest in taking on that additional cap. Leaf trade could be deal.

The only reason I added those trades was just to fluff the roster and they probably wouldn't happen until the off season. Pateryn is taking 2.2 off the books and isn't even playing on the roster, them getting bjugstad for 3.8m isn't that much a gross overpayment - adding the Billy G connection I think it's entirely possible but the LA one was just throwing something lol
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
Banned
NJ fans at it again.

28 1st round picks for Hall.

I can't wait for the devastatingly depressing return on him. So they can feel like Ottawa fans and be knocked back down to reality.

And the penguins don't have to retain in moving Bjugstad. Let alone not get any kind of decent return for him.
mhockey91, oneX and t2a2e9j12k2 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
NJ fans at it again.

I can't wait for the devastatingly depressing return on him. So they can feel like Ottawa fans and be knocked back down to reality.

And the penguins don't have to retain in moving Bjugstad. Let alone not get any kind of decent return for him.

I'm a penguins fan. The Penguins would be happy to get rid of Bjugstad for pucks. He's offered no value at his contract, period.

Trading for Hall isn't to keep him for 6 weeks. It's to lock him up for the remainder of the Crosby/Malkin being great hockey players era. It's putting a block of wood in the closing window to try and squeak out a couple more cups. Letting go of Bjugstad is the easiest thing they can do. McCann is a better, cheaper, younger player. Letting Gally/Schultz walk while moving on from Hornqvist/Bjugstad allows you to sign Hall, Murray, McCann and tool out the rest of the roster.

The next season's roster would look like this;

Jake-Sid-Simon
Hall-Geno-Aston-Reese/Kahun
Aston-Reese/Kakun-McCann-Tanev
Lafferty-Blueger-Someone for 700k

Dumo - Letang
Marino - Pettersson
Johnson - Riikola/Trotman (unless they find a way to offload that horrific contract too)

That team is much better than the one we currently have. They have to get value out of the contracts and this is how they do that.
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:27 p.m.
NJ fans at it again.

Oh man I just went back and read your comments. You think Jack Johnson has been "Solid" as a third pairing defensman this year? That tells me ALL I need to know about your knowledge of the sport you talk **** about. You have none.

Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.

While I do not agree with your Rust=Hall assessment, I do agree that Poulin, Addison, Rust and a 1st is gross overpay for Hall.

Then again, this AGM also has Légaré added to dump Hornqvist for a 4th. So, gross overpay seems to be in season.
mhockey91 and t2a2e9j12k2 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:34 p.m.
You've gotta be trolling right? Rust playing with Malkin and Guentzel is VERY VERY VERY different than Hall playing with Nico Hischier and Kyle Palmieri lol. QoT matters in the league.

It's not a gross overpayment, it's not even an overpayment at all. This isn't a video game where you mash things together and add 40 picks to get someone to accept. The Devils aren't going to take Bjugstad back for Hall lol.

"Rust is worth much more than Hall" LOL. Taylor Hall skated 33 games last season and scored Rusts career high. If you're going to comment, atleast offer something intelligent.

Also, imagine thinking Bryan Rust is better than Taylor freakn Hall based on 20 games and not the hundreds of games and MVP winning player lol
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.

Except that Hall is not signed for next year, with ZERO guarantee that the UFA would want to sign in Pittsburgh period.

Blub, blub, blub... that's the sound of your entire platform sinking...
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo
Except that Hall is not signed for next year, with ZERO guarantee that the UFA would want to sign in Pittsburgh period.

Blub, blub, blub... that's the sound of your entire platform sinking...

I can make the exact same argument towards you, as there's ZERO guarantee that he WOULDN'T want to sign in Pittsburgh. Hall has played for losing organizations with little to no help since he's entered the league. I'll bet that he'd sign in Pittsburgh for 9m per to play with Crosby/Malkin and WIN vs signing for 9.5-10m to play for a team without that chance of winning. You can take the other bet, but it still doesn't change the fact that trading for him now is the absolute best case scenario for the team to win this year. We don't give a **** about the 2025 season. We care about the window that Crosby/Malkin are going to remain great players. Addison's ceiling is probably a solid top 4 defenseman. Legare and Poulin's ceilings? MAYBE Poulin is an okay top 6 player? Legare more like a bottom 6 player? Regardless, that's IF they pan out - and who knows if they will? Do you know what we DO KNOW? Taylor Hall is a former league MVP who carried a brutal team to the playoffs by himself, and would add speed, scoring and most importantly VALUE on his contract and help the Penguins win now, and potentially in the future. If you've gotta dump the carcass of Patrick Hornqvist to do that, see ya.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Banned
I'm a penguins fan. The Penguins would be happy to get rid of Bjugstad for pucks. He's offered no value at his contract, period.

Trading for Hall isn't to keep him for 6 weeks. It's to lock him up for the remainder of the Crosby/Malkin being great hockey players era. It's putting a block of wood in the closing window to try and squeak out a couple more cups. Letting go of Bjugstad is the easiest thing they can do. McCann is a better, cheaper, younger player. Letting Gally/Schultz walk while moving on from Hornqvist/Bjugstad allows you to sign Hall, Murray, McCann and tool out the rest of the roster.

Jake-Sid-Simon
Aston-Reese/Kakun-McCann-Tanev
Lafferty-Blueger-Someone for 700k

Dumo - Letang
Marino - Pettersson
Johnson - Riikola/Trotman (unless they find a way to offload that horrific contract too)

That team is much better than the one we currently have. They have to get value out of the contracts and this is how they do that.

sure you are, and I'm a caps fan tears of joy
t2a2e9j12k2 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
Some of you baffle me with this overpayment talk. You've got realistically one A level prospect (Addison) who for atleast the foreseeable future won't crack a top 4 role with the big club - two b level prospects in Legare and Poulin that might become top 6 players at BOTH of their peaks and a first round pick that means literally nothing to this Penguins team as they're not in the "stock the cupboards" mode and haven't been for sometime. Two aging superstars and a closing window to get every ounce of their ability out of them and you're worried about trading futures that may NEVER turn out anyway? I mean man, I'm sure betting that the Flyers wish they would have packaged Nolan Patricks pick before he ever stepped foot into the NHL, or the Devils wishing they would have selected someone like EP40 instead of Hischier. Give me a break lol.
Dan10900 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
sure you are, and I'm a caps fan tears of joy

You're a fan of watching players skate up and down, but you don't know enough about the sport to call yourself a fan of any particular team. If you look at Jack Johnson and say he's been "solid" this year, you've got issues.
Dan10900 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Some of you baffle me with this overpayment talk. You've got realistically one A level prospect (Addison) who for atleast the foreseeable future won't crack a top 4 role with the big club - two b level prospects in Legare and Poulin that might become top 6 players at BOTH of their peaks and a first round pick that means literally nothing to this Penguins team as they're not in the "stock the cupboards" mode and haven't been for sometime. Two aging superstars and a closing window to get every ounce of their ability out of them and you're worried about trading futures that may NEVER turn out anyway? I mean man, I'm sure betting that the Flyers wish they would have packaged Nolan Patricks pick before he ever stepped foot into the NHL, or the Devils wishing they would have selected someone like EP40 instead of Hischier. Give me a break lol.

Completely agree (plus the devils would look for 1 top tier spec before any 3 of ours, and we'd rather keep our three specs likely) except Hischer is still really really good, EP40 isn't a ton better than him, there's a reasonable chance by the end of the year both Heisk and Makar will be ahead or at least in the same range as him imo, but really, you can't go wrong with any of those 4, a d man, TW center, or purely offensive center, depends on what you want
Dec. 1, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.

It’s definitely an overpay, but obviously hall is worth much more than rust.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 3:26 p.m.
I would LOVE Hall in Pittsburgh but it won’t cost that much. I think it’s certainly in the realm of possibility but not at that price. I think hornqvist has to be moved aswell, but I don’t think you’ll have to use Legare as a sweatener to move the contract. I would use Legare to move JJ potentially. Jugs doesn’t need retention but you’re right that they won’t get back much of a return for him. Barrie for Schultz+Jarry looked like a real possibility before the Babcock firing but Barrie looks to be excelling under Keefe and I doubt he’s on their trading block anymore.

I overall like the idea of this team. I think getting hall and moving some of the low value contracts would be a perfect scenario for pit. I’m just not a fan of some of the value assessments
Dec. 1, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Scott Harrington, Kasperi Kapanen and Nick Spaling, and first- and third-round picks in 2016 were traded to Toronto for Phil Kessel.

At the time, Harrington (much like Addison) was thought to be a future top 4 defensman, Kapenen a top 6 forward. I remember Penguins fans talking about the overpayment of the first and third, they shouldn’t have given up the prospects AND picks for Kessel. How did this trade turn out? The penguins won two cups. Kapenen and Harrington are okay players but nothing the Penguins are missing and those picks aren’t worth crying over either.

Hall is better than Kessel.
Dan10900 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Not to mention, this is the NHL were talking about. Not playing cards. There isn’t a scenario where Shero looks at this and says “yeah I think that’s a pretty even deal I’ll take it”. He has to win this trade, he’s the one with the all star, former MVP game breaking winger. Some of y’all cracked.
Dan10900 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
MK458

I can't tell if your serious or not
Dec. 1, 2019 at 4:56 p.m.
The trade with Toronto doesn't make sense from a cap point of view. Leafs would over the cap with such a move. Not realistic at all.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
Analytics are good

You can't be this autistic.
Dec. 1, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
Banned
You're a fan of watching players skate up and down, but you don't know enough about the sport to call yourself a fan of any particular team. If you look at Jack Johnson and say he's been "solid" this year, you've got issues.

yeah ok sure think pro scout.

good luck with that.
t2a2e9j12k2 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll