Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$290,000-$290,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
exo2769
Yes from a different team...No from TOR and I wouldn't suggest they send more either. Additionally, TOR has a starter. Go for Crow if you want a backup. Crow's been good, has all the experience you could really ask for, and will cost less than Lehner.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:23 p.m.
can't see a world where Lehner isn't the Chicago starter for next 5+ years
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
Yes from a different team...No from TOR and I wouldn't suggest they send more either. Additionally, TOR has a starter. Go for Crow if you want a backup. Crow's been good, has all the experience you could really ask for, and will cost less than Lehner.

What about Crawford at 50% for Johnsson?
exo2769 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: linehan10
can't see a world where Lehner isn't the Chicago starter for next 5+ years

He'd have to want to go through a rebuild. As the young guys get better, Kane, Kieth and Toews are going to regress so they have some dark years of a rebuild coming. Does Lehner want that?
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
He'd have to want to go through a rebuild. As the young guys get better, Kane, Kieth and Toews are going to regress so they have some dark years of a rebuild coming. Does Lehner want that?

honestly I listen to that guy talk and idk what he wants lol
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:33 p.m.
What in tarnation
If retained, then probably yes. There's going to be a market for good goalies near the deadline.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:38 p.m.
Lehner is not going to be playing once playoffs come around, but maybe you argue the Leafs need him just to make playoffs. So with roughly 50 games left in the season, Lehner would probably play 15-20 games. Are you going to give up a good, young, affordable LW with term for a good backup to play 15-20 games for you? I wouldn't. If Lehner had term, then maybe. But not for 15-20 games.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss
If retained, then probably yes. There's going to be a market for good goalies near the deadline.

I'd say there is a market now, if Chicago was bold enough to admit they aren't even close to a playoff team let alone a contender.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KoneDome
Lehner is not going to be playing once playoffs come around, but maybe you argue the Leafs need him just to make playoffs. So with roughly 50 games left in the season, Lehner would probably play 15-20 games. Are you going to give up a good, young, affordable LW with term for a good backup to play 15-20 games for you? I wouldn't. If Lehner had term, then maybe. But not for 15-20 games.

If we got goaltending equal to what Andersen has given the Leafs this year, that equates to a 50 win season. And likely 10-13 OT points. That is presidents trophy level excellence. Yeah come the playoffs you shelve him but in the meantime you are going to be able to keep Andersen rested and ready for the playoffs. Even if you are sitting Lehner, that is still incredible insurance. What if Andersen gets hurt? Or what if he for some reason has a swoon in April and needs a few nights off to get himself straight, like how he plays in October often. Well at least you can go back with a terrific option B
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.
What in tarnation
I'd say there is a market now, if Chicago was bold enough to admit they aren't even close to a playoff team let alone a contender.

Maybe, but I can't see them trading Lehner quite yet. They just signed him only a few months ago.

If he plays well for them, they'll get more value out of him later on.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
exo2769

@LoganOllivier I think you can attest that I'm a Hawks fan. They're literally in last place in the central and 1 point away from last in the West... They're also going up against STL with 11 forwards tonight because the injuries are piling up. I know 1 game or even 1 stretch of games doesn't make a season, but man oh man it doesn't get a whole lot worse...it can, but it's hard. Stan should be looking at his pending UFAs as assets.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Maybe, but I can't see them trading Lehner quite yet. They just signed him only a few months ago.

If he plays well for them, they'll get more value out of him later on.

That's what a lot of GM's have thought, hold on and get a better price and then smarter GM's make their moves early and then prices don't rise but the teams wanting stuff drops off because some would be contenders fall far enough out that the market changes. Some of the teams that legit need goaltending, will be sellers by the deadline. Too many sellers drop out and Lehners market value plummets.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
If we got goaltending equal to what Andersen has given the Leafs this year, that equates to a 50 win season. And likely 10-13 OT points. That is presidents trophy level excellence. Yeah come the playoffs you shelve him but in the meantime you are going to be able to keep Andersen rested and ready for the playoffs. Even if you are sitting Lehner, that is still incredible insurance. What if Andersen gets hurt? Or what if he for some reason has a swoon in April and needs a few nights off to get himself straight, like how he plays in October often. Well at least you can go back with a terrific option B

Maybe, but with each passing day that idea is becoming less valuable if you consider that the leafs have already blown 5-10 points based on back-up goalie playing. And I still don't think its worth giving up Johnsson, but I understand it needs to be a guy with salary to make it work. I would sooner explore Hutchinson, Ceci and 2nd or 3rd, for Crawford (1/2 retained), and either Murphy (1/2 retained) or maybe Gustafsson)? Would probably have to give more up for Gustafsson and Murphy has term which Chicago likely wouldn't want to retain on.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
Banned
@LoganOllivier I think you can attest that I'm a Hawks fan. They're literally in last place in the central and 1 point away from last in the West... They're also going up against STL with 11 forwards tonight because the injuries are piling up. I know 1 game or even 1 stretch of games doesn't make a season, but man oh man it doesn't get a whole lot worse...it can, but it's hard. Stan should be looking at his pending UFAs as assets.

Personally, I'd love to see a team in Chicago's position blow it up big time. Move Kane, Toews and Keith for everything they can get and really take the rebuild seriously. Those guys still have value but it's going to drop every year they hold on to these guys. They won't likely ever be a contender with these guys in the lineup, because as they get worse in their older years, you don't have enough top end talent to replace them. Who do you have that is going to be anywhere close to as good as Kane? Or Toews? You have a pile of high level D propects, so maybe you move out the rest of the old guard and start hoping for luck in the top of the draft since you'll be one of the worst teams for the next 2-3 seasons but should have such a wealth of skill and talent coming up by then that you'll be looking at the start of a new dynasty. Too often GM's keep these guys till the end and what it does is prevent a team from being bad enough to get enough depth to be great again. Like LA, their core hasn't been good enough to do anything for 5 years but they are all locked up so the GM can't really do anything about it cause the team is too good to be bad enough to get the top end talent they need to be good again.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KoneDome
Maybe, but with each passing day that idea is becoming less valuable if you consider that the leafs have already blown 5-10 points based on back-up goalie playing. And I still don't think its worth giving up Johnsson, but I understand it needs to be a guy with salary to make it work. I would sooner explore Hutchinson, Ceci and 2nd or 3rd, for Crawford (1/2 retained), and either Murphy (1/2 retained) or maybe Gustafsson)? Would probably have to give more up for Gustafsson and Murphy has term which Chicago likely wouldn't want to retain on.

Gustafsson has 1 good season in his career and has been a healthy scratch this year. He isn't good and definitely is less valuable to the Leafs than Ceci is. Who has been surprisingly quite good this season. He isn't a top defender by any stretch but he's by far been better than advertised. He's fine and moving him only make sense to me under 2 conditions. 1) Dermott can play top pair RHD minutes with Rielly and 2) Sandin is brought up to play on the bottom pair with Barrie. Holl will remain with Muzzin for the shutdown pair. There are still 54 games left in the season and if the Leafs had a backup like Lehner or Crawford (at half his salary) would mean you could conceivable only start Andersen another 27-34 times which would keep him under 60 games for the season which will keep him fresh for the playoffs. Having a tandem really helps keep the starter fresh for the playoffs.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
exo2769
Personally, I'd love to see a team in Chicago's position blow it up big time. Move Kane, Toews and Keith for everything they can get and really take the rebuild seriously. Those guys still have value but it's going to drop every year they hold on to these guys. They won't likely ever be a contender with these guys in the lineup, because as they get worse in their older years, you don't have enough top end talent to replace them. Who do you have that is going to be anywhere close to as good as Kane? Or Toews? You have a pile of high level D propects, so maybe you move out the rest of the old guard and start hoping for luck in the top of the draft since you'll be one of the worst teams for the next 2-3 seasons but should have such a wealth of skill and talent coming up by then that you'll be looking at the start of a new dynasty. Too often GM's keep these guys till the end and what it does is prevent a team from being bad enough to get enough depth to be great again. Like LA, their core hasn't been good enough to do anything for 5 years but they are all locked up so the GM can't really do anything about it cause the team is too good to be bad enough to get the top end talent they need to be good again.

I wouldn't go quite that far. The Full NMCs make is tough too. Young teams also have a hard time finding veteran leadership. It doesn't get better than those guys. Keep trading away pending UFAs every year until CHI thinks guys like Dach/Boqvist/ and whomever they draft this year (Byfield??? I don't know, but with zero goalies...they're not likely trending upward...) is ready to take over. Toews as a #3C is going to be like Jumbo Joe. He'll still be able to handle himself for another contract. He's made his money and will likely have a statue when it's all said and done. I'm hopeful he stays with CHI for a reasonable cap hit.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:04 p.m.
exo2769
Gustafsson has 1 good season in his career and has been a healthy scratch this year. He isn't good and definitely is less valuable to the Leafs than Ceci is. Who has been surprisingly quite good this season. He isn't a top defender by any stretch but he's by far been better than advertised. He's fine and moving him only make sense to me under 2 conditions. 1) Dermott can play top pair RHD minutes with Rielly and 2) Sandin is brought up to play on the bottom pair with Barrie. Holl will remain with Muzzin for the shutdown pair. There are still 54 games left in the season and if the Leafs had a backup like Lehner or Crawford (at half his salary) would mean you could conceivable only start Andersen another 27-34 times which would keep him under 60 games for the season which will keep him fresh for the playoffs. Having a tandem really helps keep the starter fresh for the playoffs.

Gus had 1 healthy scratch all year. That's it. Gus's trade value admittedly isn't what it was @ the TDL last year, but he costs $1.2M and does have some serious offensive skill. He will be valued.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
Banned
I wouldn't go quite that far. The Full NMCs make is tough too. Young teams also have a hard time finding veteran leadership. It doesn't get better than those guys. Keep trading away pending UFAs every year until CHI thinks guys like Dach/Boqvist/ and whomever they draft this year (Byfield??? I don't know, but with zero goalies...they're not likely trending upward...) is ready to take over. Toews as a #3C is going to be like Jumbo Joe. He'll still be able to handle himself for another contract. He's made his money and will likely have a statue when it's all said and done. I'm hopeful he stays with CHI for a reasonable cap hit.

The problem with that though is their contracts. What happens if Kane falls off and is a 60 point winger? 10.5 mill for a 3C or 3rd liner or anything short of a top line player is a huge problem. It'll make it almost impossible to keep your young up and coming players when you have those older guys making millions for what they did several years ago. Which is what is happening in LA. In 3 years they are going to need to give contracts to up and coming young players on their squad and have 20+ million in Doughty and Kopitar on the books to deal with.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:09 p.m.
Banned
Gus had 1 healthy scratch all year. That's it. Gus's trade value admittedly isn't what it was @ the TDL last year, but he costs $1.2M and does have some serious offensive skill. He will be valued.

Probably but it won't be as much as you hope and I'd wager TO has zero interest in Gus. He's really not good in his own zone and there are several players ahead of him in TO that can play offensively. Montreal should target him though, their LHD is terrible.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:13 p.m.
exo2769
The problem with that though is their contracts. What happens if Kane falls off and is a 60 point winger? 10.5 mill for a 3C or 3rd liner or anything short of a top line player is a huge problem. It'll make it almost impossible to keep your young up and coming players when you have those older guys making millions for what they did several years ago. Which is what is happening in LA. In 3 years they are going to need to give contracts to up and coming young players on their squad and have 20+ million in Doughty and Kopitar on the books to deal with.

completely agree. They have 3.5 years left until they're 34. Hopefully then The Hawks will have more HIGH end talent and Toews/Kane will want to stick around and take less. I really do think they would if it meant back to winning.
Dec. 2, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Banned
completely agree. They have 3.5 years left until they're 34. Hopefully then The Hawks will have more HIGH end talent and Toews/Kane will want to stick around and take less. I really do think they would if it meant back to winning.

If you have top end talent in 3.5 years, they'll be taking up a tonne of your cap space, as a Leafs fan, I know this better than most lol, if Toews and Kane (mainly Kane) are still producing, you may have to let them go to make way for the young guys. But who knows.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll