Forums/Armchair-GM

Philly

Created by: Eli
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 4, 2019
Published: Dec. 4, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lots of lowball offers on this board today for Ghost.

Habs fans think he's worth a 2nd, a 4th, and a cap dump.

I have to figure Philly would rather get some defensively solid NHL players (with some decent offensive upside that just isn't clicking right now) and some prospects. What do you think?
Trades
WSH
  1. Bunnaman, Connor
  2. Gostisbehere, Shayne
  3. 2020 4th round pick (NSH)
PHI
  1. Jensen, Nick
  2. Johansen, Lucas
  3. Pánik, Richard
  4. Sutter, Riley
Additional Details:
Panik was injured but he's picking it up, with two goals in a recent four game stretch. Jensen's playing shutdown and PK in Washington, but with bigger minutes in Detroit he's shown he can chip in a few points. Johansen and Sutter could still turn into something.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$72,440,961$1,150,000$702,500$9,059,039
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$3,350,000$3,350,000
LW
UFA - 2
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 4
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
G
UFA - 2
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 4, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
Who adds what?
Just noticed Philly is at 48 contracts. Dump back a couple. Chris Stewart could probably clear waivers and provide leadership in Hershey, with the possession numbers he's putting up this year. Not sure who else.
Dec. 4, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Edited Dec. 4, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
a) I am hearing from my Philly sources Ghost is considered a big bust and was falling rapidly on the depth chart. At $4.5M annually for 4 more years that's not a good pickup (seeing as how Jensen, or any rising Caps prospect would be cheaper and may have same/more upside eventually).

b) Jensen is struggling defensively right now...but I think he'll stabilize over the long run.

c) Caps have Lewington to play RD minutes, Siegs can play RD minutes on 3rd pairing, and silver lining is if the Caps bring up Alexeyev next year and let Gudas walk, you move Siegs to right side on Orlov and have Alexeyev play with Jensen as 3rd pairing.

d) Ship Lucas Jo out west somewhere in case he regains his prospect status and goes Filip Forsberg on us...gulp...
Eli liked this.
Dec. 4, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
Let's GO CAPS!
Quoting: Eli
Just noticed Philly is at 48 contracts. Dump back a couple. Chris Stewart could probably clear waivers and provide leadership in Hershey, with the possession numbers he's putting up this year. Not sure who else.

Chris Stewart is a hard no. He destroys locker rooms...not a chemistry guy for DC or Hershey.
Eli liked this.
Dec. 4, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: netminder71
a) I am hearing from my Philly sources Ghost is considered a big bust and was falling rapidly on the depth chart. At $4.5M annually for 4 more years that's not a good pickup (seeing as how Jensen, or any rising Caps prospect would be cheaper and may have same/more upside eventually).

b) Jensen is struggling defensively right now...but I think he's stabilize over the long run.

c) Caps have Lewington to play RD minutes, Siegs can play RD minutes on 3rd pairing, and silver lining is if the Caps bring up Alexeyev next year and let Gudas walk, you move Siegs to right side on Orlov and have Alexeyev play with Jensen as 3rd pairing.

d) Ship Lucas Jo out west somewhere in case he regains his prospect status and goes Filip Forsberg on us...gulp...

Okay, so leave JucaJo out of it, if Philly might still be interested.

I think Jensen is a better defensive defenseman always than Ghost, and Jensen showed he could be a top penalty killer in Detroit the last couple years. That's probably more valuable to Philly, alone.

Panik can also be a top penalty killer, and can chip in up to 44 points a year with the right linemates. Gets some garbage goals and can pass a little bit. Good two-way hockey player. But low offensive total so far this year because of injury, so he has little trade value today. Should come up if they wait, but Ghost will be gone.

I agree Ghost is a total bust as fair as a defensive defenseman, but as a third pair puck mover and a 2nd power play guy, he could add some value. Not that Ovechkin or Carlson ever want to sit on the bench, but Ghost can QB really well, even if he is slightly overpaid for a not-very-defensive defenseman.
Dec. 4, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
You blast people for lowballing then offer a 4 piece package where only 1 piece has any value. Johansen still has value. Jensen does not have much (even though you over value him by 50%, if not more). Panik is a dump, negative value. Sutter is... tall?
Dec. 4, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Yojimbo
You blast people for lowballing then offer a 4 piece package where only 1 piece has any value. Johansen still has value. Jensen does not have much (even though you over value him by 50%, if not more). Panik is a dump, negative value. Sutter is... tall?

Sutter is a Sutter. Johansen is a Johansen. They were pretty good offensive players in juniors and their defense is coming along at the AHL level. It would be crazy to write either off yet.

Panik is off to a bad start but he's hit 33 to 44 points each of the last four years. He alone makes up for Gostisbehere's even strength points. Since Ghost is a healthy scratch due to defensive issues and who knows what else, that's already a win in terms of Philly's needs.

Jensen was one of Detroit's best penalty killers the last couple years, and played 20 minutes a night as a shutdown guy. He alone is an upgrade over Ghost in terms of what Philly needs on defense.

If we're going by what I think they'll do this year, Philly should add Frost, here.

But trade value goes a lot by a player's highest single season point totals, and a couple years ago Philly gave Ghost ALLL OF THE POWERPLAYS so he got more points on the power play than at even strength, and now a lot of fans are going to value him as a sixty point defenseman, which is technically correct. Over the last four seasons, Orlov is ten spots ahead of him in terms of even strength points by a left shot defenseman (Orlov is 9th, Ghost is 19th). He really would play third pair in Washington to avoid having two puck rushers out at any given time. But to make an offer on someone whose tires have been so thoroughly pumped, and not get outbid, it probably takes a prospect or two of overpayment?

But like I said to @netminder71 if trading Johansen inside the division seems like too much of a risk, by all means revise. I just thought with a bunch of ridiculously low offers dominating the board and some citing sources that a trade is close, this might be a conversation that other teams would get into. Since I'm a Caps fan, I started out with a Caps offer. I like Jensen and Panik. Without them, last year, the CAps' PK was in the bottom ten. This year, when they've been healthy, it's been in the top ten. They are good at hockey, and valuable.

If Ghost is also good at hockey, but needs a change of scenes, their combined cap hits make room for him in Washington. Ghost doesn't kill penalties, and ghosts his responsibilities in his own end, but he'd help an already great offense score even more goals, and he makes a lot of fun plays where he carries the puck and takes risks. He's basically Mike Green without the AARP card.

I think the Caps have other LHD prospects and can afford to move Johansen, but if the value is crazy, maybe Philly adds back in their #8 center?
Dec. 4, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
But trade value goes a lot by a player's highest single season point totals...

What is it like to always have the wrong opinions/conclusions?

You still complained abut everyone lowballing the Flyers, then lowballed. You went with quantity hoping no one would notice the lack of quality. It was noticed, and an essay reply didn't change that.
Dec. 4, 2019 at 9:45 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Yojimbo
What is it like to always have the wrong opinions/conclusions?

You still complained abut everyone lowballing the Flyers, then lowballed. You went with quantity hoping no one would notice the lack of quality. It was noticed, and an essay reply didn't change that.

Ghost is a healthy scratch. Panik and Jensen are NHL players. Johansen and Sutter are prospects. And always being wrong is actually pretty tough, but I'm sure you're used to it, too.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 8:42 a.m.
Ghost is a healthy scratch. Panik and Jensen are NHL players. Johansen and Sutter are prospects. And always being wrong is actually pretty tough, but I'm sure you're used to it, too.

That was original.

"I know you are but what am I?"
Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll