Forums/Armchair-GM

Reflection

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 4, 2019
Published: Dec. 4, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Okay, full disclosure, I wanted so badly to write this after the game on Monday, but that would have come from a very dark place. Or rather, more than usual in this ****ed up season.

Now, first things first, if you are a Colliton or a Bowman supporter, STOP READING. This is your first and only warning.

With that out of the way, I’ll start by saying I read a tweet on Monday night post game that caused me to reflect for a good day and a half. It read, “Stan had 22 Million dollars of cap space to try and fix this team’s issues, and nothing seems to have changed.” Calling a spade a spade, Stan did seem to try. He got maatta and de haan. That was about 9 million in space right there. However, I can’t help but think maatta was a trade made solely on his two rings. Okay, he can shot block. He cannot skate though. De haan, on the hand, was one everyone was excited about I would think. Good track record and a decent all around dman, albeit no better than a top 4 dman. Now, I’m not blind to the fact that we couldn’t trade for a top 2 dman, as we don’t have the assets. Moreover, I don’t remember off the top of my head if one was on the UFA market. What I do know, however, is the lack of thought that was put into these acquisitions. More on this in a second.

As I specified earlier, Stan had 22 million to fix a problem. What he also had, was a 3rd overall pick to fix a problem. Now, I do admit this debate has been pounded into the earth. Stan messes up, he picked dach when dach was not the need. Moreover, Stan failed to realize that even before the 2019 draft started, the 2020 draft was already being hailed as once the deepest ever. Plenty of centers are for the taking in that draft. But I digress. Here’s where I get to Colliton, the perfect poor excuse for a coach that comes off the perfect yes man/fall guy for bowman. As long as Colliton is coach, bowman is safe, cuz he blame Colliton for everything. Now, let’s be honest, Colliton does himself no favors with his ****ty “defensive system” he believes will help the team. JC, it doesn’t buddy, just stop pretending. JC clearly said that having a full training camp would be the difference for the hawks. Two months on, what’s the issue JC? Don’t know? Didn’t think so. Which brings me back to the acquisitions in the summer and draft.

As I said, very little thought was put into these acquisitions. Let me explain my logic. Maatta was picked up in return for a very hard working winger because he was more defensively responsible. De haan, likewise, was acquired because he was very well-rounded, and a semi-decent top 4ish dman. Here’s the problem: where did these two players come from? Maatta from Pittsburgh, and de haan from Carolina. In Pittsburgh, maatta played in a possession based, speed system where dmen were far less pressure and more autonomy. De haan, in Carolina, played for rod brind’amour. If you don’t know anything about rod, he is a heart and soul players’ coach who the players will die for. Also, the system he preached was a speed based, man on man style. JC uses man on man in Chicago, however, he allows the players to be extremely passive and slow. That subtle difference immediately works against de haan. Maatta, too, has no chance of thriving in this team set up. Essentially, the hawks acquired two decent dmen without actually investing thought into how they’d fit. Under Colliton, spoiler alert, it’s ****.

Now, here’s my last point and then I’ll rap up, cuz I know many of you are sick of my rants and I can’t blame you. I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread, but beyond simply not fixing a problem, drafting dach was ludicrous for whole other reason. Ya see, in the last 10 years, the hawks have never had a player like dach. In fact, I’d argue that in drafts we actively avoided guys like him. Guys like him, for reference, means big, slower, good hands, and no real gauge for what his natural position is. The idea was he’d be a two way center. Now, I’m today’s nhl I have no idea if that’s possible for him, but I do know he’s better with energy players on a fourth line. So, do you kee him there for the next 15 years? Also, he can’t win faceoffs, which is kind of prerequisite for a center. The point I’m trying to make is that he doesn’t fit the Blackhawks mold. He is an albatross of a player on this team. By proxy, or rather with this coach and management team, they have earthly clue how to develop him. They’re under the impression that he can hang with the big boys this year, even though another of juniors was desperately needed for him to develop. I’m dach is capable of having a decent career, however, the hawks are the worst team for him to do it with. Byram was considered the next Keith, and that’s a style of player that fits immediately into the team and development structure. However, as with the trades made this summer (and I haven’t even brought the **** show that was the nylander-joki trade), very thought was put into the long term implications of taking dach, especially a stacked 2020 draft looming large with us being a sure fire lottery team.

To conclude, all I can say is, “ sorry Johnny, sorry Patrick, but three cups are more than enough for you two, it’s time to think long term.” I do believe this team could thrive if Colliton is fired. Much of our problems are system related. However, the long term success of this team is in huge jeopardy if Stan bowman is still the GM of the team. Nothing he did this summer was done with much thought, other than, “hey, these two guys are good names, they’ll make our defense better!” Stan, you need to know your coach sir. Take the blues, for example, every acquisition they make is based around their playing style. Bowman has absolutely lost his way. First maatta, then picking dach, and finally the de Haan and even nylander trades. I get that he’s desperate, but there isn’t a fan of this team that can convince me that he is the right man for the job anymore. If we wanna keep staying I neutral AT BEST, go up in flames at worst, keep bowman. I know I’m just a pissed off fan, but having played hockey for 25 years and having been a fan of this team for about that same amount of time, I can see when something doesn’t fit.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$68,651,686$0$6,707,500$12,848,314
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 5, 2019 at 12:33 a.m.
You kind of contradict yourself with a lot of the things you say here... Im going to start off by saying that the only bad trade was the Joki-Nylander trade, everything else can be defended and was made backed by pretty sound logic. Dach was the only center available that was going to be ready now, and going to be in the league now. See how none of the other players taken after Dach are in the NHL? So he was the only center that was going to be able to help us this season, and there was a reason that he was ranked the second best Skater in NA behind Hughes. You draft based on projectability. You don't judge an 18 year old rookie off of 20 games hes played. He clearly has somethings to work on, yes, but its actually ****ing stupid to say "oh yeah 20 games into his career he cant win a faceoff he has no place in the league this guy ****ing sucks" when the dude broke Eichels ankles twice in one game. There is clearly talent there, his hands are insane, and he plays hard in both ends of the ice. Dont doubt Mark Kelley (and the pick was his decision, not Bowmans by the way), the dude has made some solid picks over the years. The maatta trade was probably made before we knew De Haan was available for such a low price, and maatta was known to be on the market, so why not and go get a clear upgrade from Koekkoek and Dahlstrom when we know we have cap space to work with? We were able to trade Kahun because the front office was so confident in Kubaliks ability, and while he hasnt been as productive as Kahun, not being on a line with Crosby or Malkin will do that to you. You can't sit here and tell me Bowman didn't do a decent job this summer. He picked up 2 clear upgrades for our defence and landed Lehner, one of the best goalies in the league so far. The only person who can be to blame is Colliton, and even so, Colliton doesn't coach these guys to tell them to let 3 guys open in front of the net. Colliton doesn't coach them to let some guy free in front of the net on a slap shot from the point to be deflected without Lehner or Crow having a damn chance to save it. This laziness and mediocrity is purely on the players and you can't really give a strong argument otherwise. If you have even watched a single game you would have seen the laziness and the poor effort everyone but the 4th line gives, and it isn't particularly close. Sure Bowman isn't the right man for the job anymore, if the decision is to rebuild, because he doesn't have a long term future here. But to tell me he hasn't done anything in his power to get the best guys on the market without giving up a whole lot (again, minus the Jokiharju trade), is absolutely ludicrous.
HatterTParty liked this.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 1:27 a.m.
Edited Dec. 5, 2019 at 2:04 a.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
You kind of contradict yourself with a lot of the things you say here... Im going to start off by saying that the only bad trade was the Joki-Nylander trade, everything else can be defended and was made backed by pretty sound logic. Dach was the only center available that was going to be ready now, and going to be in the league now. See how none of the other players taken after Dach are in the NHL? So he was the only center that was going to be able to help us this season, and there was a reason that he was ranked the second best Skater in NA behind Hughes. You draft based on projectability. You don't judge an 18 year old rookie off of 20 games hes played. He clearly has somethings to work on, yes, but its actually ****ing stupid to say "oh yeah 20 games into his career he cant win a faceoff he has no place in the league this guy ****ing sucks" when the dude broke Eichels ankles twice in one game. There is clearly talent there, his hands are insane, and he plays hard in both ends of the ice. Dont doubt Mark Kelley (and the pick was his decision, not Bowmans by the way), the dude has made some solid picks over the years. The maatta trade was probably made before we knew De Haan was available for such a low price, and maatta was known to be on the market, so why not and go get a clear upgrade from Koekkoek and Dahlstrom when we know we have cap space to work with? We were able to trade Kahun because the front office was so confident in Kubaliks ability, and while he hasnt been as productive as Kahun, not being on a line with Crosby or Malkin will do that to you. You can't sit here and tell me Bowman didn't do a decent job this summer. He picked up 2 clear upgrades for our defence and landed Lehner, one of the best goalies in the league so far. The only person who can be to blame is Colliton, and even so, Colliton doesn't coach these guys to tell them to let 3 guys open in front of the net. Colliton doesn't coach them to let some guy free in front of the net on a slap shot from the point to be deflected without Lehner or Crow having a damn chance to save it. This laziness and mediocrity is purely on the players and you can't really give a strong argument otherwise. If you have even watched a single game you would have seen the laziness and the poor effort everyone but the 4th line gives, and it isn't particularly close. Sure Bowman isn't the right man for the job anymore, if the decision is to rebuild, because he doesn't have a long term future here. But to tell me he hasn't done anything in his power to get the best guys on the market without giving up a whole lot (again, minus the Jokiharju trade), is absolutely ludicrous.

Fair response, like what you had to say in this body of thought. I start by saying, of course, everything I say is purely opinion based.

Having said that, remember that I did say in my rant, Stan did seem to try to fix things getting de haan and maatta. I’ll grant you that that wording is certainly not praise, but it is acknowledgement, which at this point is all I give the guy. However, what you said in your message unfortunately doesn’t really change much of what I was getting at. I loved what you had to say, as I do all other hawk fans, but how I’m looking at this summer isn’t a case finding help. Clearly, Stan did try, this much is true. However, it’s still a case of finding the WRONG help. Don’t forget that also said that the players are also accountable for the laziness, that includes maatta and de haan. I’m not saying that getting those two wasn’t probably (and most likely) the best we could do. I also mentioned in my rant that we clearly couldn’t trade for anyone or even find a top 2 dman in the UFA market. But these two “solutions” came from teams that maximized their abilities far better than we ever could. At least under the coach we have, that’s the point I’m trying to make.

However, my anger speaks not only to Colliton and bowman in general, but also to the clear lack of communication between the two in terms of putting a team together. Stan wanted to find fixes and he only managed maatta and de haan. Crazy as it sounds to say out loud, those actually were improvements! To this day that absolutely shocks me when I see how far we’ve fallen. This isn’t the point though. The point is, bowman has seen and known this problem for 2 and a half years now. How or why he hasn’t found solutions in that time, who knows. Cap problems? Yup. Old core on **** contracts? Yup. Garbage coach that he keeps giving rope to? You bet. However, each one of these things are problems made by bowman. Mark Kelley May have made the pick, but he can’t just circumvent Stan, so that belongs on Stan as much as him.

Speaking of the pick, I hate to be this guy, but no one is ever going to completely sell me on this kid. People can judge me for that, but my opinion on that is for a number of reasons. The most important being that Dach doesn’t fix or change anything. In fact, if you can, tell me what fixes. Picking him was purely to save Bowman’s own skin because he was gonna keep him in the nhl no matter what. And by the way, it wasn’t a great choice, he needed to learn to play against guys better his own age. But that’s neither here nor there. Then there’s byram, the future Keith. Who knows if he hits that projection. What I do know is that number one dmen don’t come along in drafts often, not even projection wise. You coulda had him, and then picked a center in next years ridiculously stacked draft. Instead, you got a kid the team doesn’t really know how to develop completely cuz you’ve never had a guy of his archetype. I agree he may be good one day, and if he does more power to him.

I am glad you brought up people after him not being in the NHL, cuz I love when people do that. First thing I’ll say is this, or rather ask: why did we need the guy ready now? I’m seriously asking btw. Why now? Why couldn’t it be two years down the road? As long as it followed a process. This team is so stuck in neutral that they say **** development, we want you now. So they went with the easy pick and took dach. Now, byram to start with. Why is byram in the WHL this season? Cuz Colorado is so stacked on defense they didn’t need to rush his development. Plain and simple, and possibly the easiest answer of em all. Turcotte (whom I have watched and adore), chose to go to college. It didn’t matter if he blew everyone away at kings camp, even his father made him to college, and now he’s killing it in wisconsin. Nuff said. Don’t forget, Cale makar was offered a pro spot after his freshman year and chose to go back. A hobey baker and a sick start to a pro career later, what do you think? Smart I’d say. Cole Caufield. Undersized and in need of body maturing. No worries, college can do that, no need to rush. Now he’s killing with turcotte at Wisconsin. The list goes on and on buddy. I seriously don’t get the argument that Dach is better simply cuz he’s here still. He’s not here cuz he should be, he’s here cuz the hawks are at their lowest and they’re desperate. Byram and turcotte are probably going to set the world on fire when they get here (who knows?) because their teams understood development is a process. So no, I don’t like the dach pick, I don’t like how they’re developing him, and I don’t think he’s even close to the level the other top 5 players are. However, that is my opinion, and just an opinion. What he fixes I’ll never know, and being that he’s only effective on the fourth line, I may not understand for the rest of the season. Just my opinion, but I genuinely think doesn’t know what’s best for the hawks’ long term future. He only thinks of how to save himself short term, but no thought to long term.

One more really quick thing: did anyone really think this team, going into the year, was a playoff team? Due respect but I sure didn’t. So what do we get in next years draft with the lottery pick? We’re stuck with dach, but we coulda had a better center this year. Also, I ask again, how does dach help this team? Turcotte is fast, has killer vision, can shoot and pass, and never stops skating. Pure aggression. Based on your point about drafting on projections, I’d take that every day over dach’s 2C ceiling.

Thanks for the thoughts, really do enjoy other insights.
SlickWilly liked this.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 9:12 a.m.
Chewbacca88
I'm just a 15 year old kid, but I am a massive Hawks fan and am obsessed with hockey. It might be weird since I am so young, but I love Power Forwards. I love that gritty style of play. Evgeni Malkin is one of my favorite players in the NHL because he hits, he can play defense, and he is wicked offensively. I like Dach. I think he can do more as an all around player. He's never gonna get Crosby type points but I can see him as the next Toews if he can improve his defense. 50-65 points would be great for him.
HatterTParty liked this.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Fair response, like what you had to say in this body of thought. I start by saying, of course, everything I say is purely opinion based.

Having said that, remember that I did say in my rant, Stan did seem to try to fix things getting de haan and maatta. I’ll grant you that that wording is certainly not praise, but it is acknowledgement, which at this point is all I give the guy. However, what you said in your message unfortunately doesn’t really change much of what I was getting at. I loved what you had to say, as I do all other hawk fans, but how I’m looking at this summer isn’t a case finding help. Clearly, Stan did try, this much is true. However, it’s still a case of finding the WRONG help. Don’t forget that also said that the players are also accountable for the laziness, that includes maatta and de haan. I’m not saying that getting those two wasn’t probably (and most likely) the best we could do. I also mentioned in my rant that we clearly couldn’t trade for anyone or even find a top 2 dman in the UFA market. But these two “solutions” came from teams that maximized their abilities far better than we ever could. At least under the coach we have, that’s the point I’m trying to make.

However, my anger speaks not only to Colliton and bowman in general, but also to the clear lack of communication between the two in terms of putting a team together. Stan wanted to find fixes and he only managed maatta and de haan. Crazy as it sounds to say out loud, those actually were improvements! To this day that absolutely shocks me when I see how far we’ve fallen. This isn’t the point though. The point is, bowman has seen and known this problem for 2 and a half years now. How or why he hasn’t found solutions in that time, who knows. Cap problems? Yup. Old core on **** contracts? Yup. Garbage coach that he keeps giving rope to? You bet. However, each one of these things are problems made by bowman. Mark Kelley May have made the pick, but he can’t just circumvent Stan, so that belongs on Stan as much as him.

Speaking of the pick, I hate to be this guy, but no one is ever going to completely sell me on this kid. People can judge me for that, but my opinion on that is for a number of reasons. The most important being that Dach doesn’t fix or change anything. In fact, if you can, tell me what fixes. Picking him was purely to save Bowman’s own skin because he was gonna keep him in the nhl no matter what. And by the way, it wasn’t a great choice, he needed to learn to play against guys better his own age. But that’s neither here nor there. Then there’s byram, the future Keith. Who knows if he hits that projection. What I do know is that number one dmen don’t come along in drafts often, not even projection wise. You coulda had him, and then picked a center in next years ridiculously stacked draft. Instead, you got a kid the team doesn’t really know how to develop completely cuz you’ve never had a guy of his archetype. I agree he may be good one day, and if he does more power to him.

I am glad you brought up people after him not being in the NHL, cuz I love when people do that. First thing I’ll say is this, or rather ask: why did we need the guy ready now? I’m seriously asking btw. Why now? Why couldn’t it be two years down the road? As long as it followed a process. This team is so stuck in neutral that they say **** development, we want you now. So they went with the easy pick and took dach. Now, byram to start with. Why is byram in the WHL this season? Cuz Colorado is so stacked on defense they didn’t need to rush his development. Plain and simple, and possibly the easiest answer of em all. Turcotte (whom I have watched and adore), chose to go to college. It didn’t matter if he blew everyone away at kings camp, even his father made him to college, and now he’s killing it in wisconsin. Nuff said. Don’t forget, Cale makar was offered a pro spot after his freshman year and chose to go back. A hobey baker and a sick start to a pro career later, what do you think? Smart I’d say. Cole Caufield. Undersized and in need of body maturing. No worries, college can do that, no need to rush. Now he’s killing with turcotte at Wisconsin. The list goes on and on buddy. I seriously don’t get the argument that Dach is better simply cuz he’s here still. He’s not here cuz he should be, he’s here cuz the hawks are at their lowest and they’re desperate. Byram and turcotte are probably going to set the world on fire when they get here (who knows?) because their teams understood development is a process. So no, I don’t like the dach pick, I don’t like how they’re developing him, and I don’t think he’s even close to the level the other top 5 players are. However, that is my opinion, and just an opinion. What he fixes I’ll never know, and being that he’s only effective on the fourth line, I may not understand for the rest of the season. Just my opinion, but I genuinely think doesn’t know what’s best for the hawks’ long term future. He only thinks of how to save himself short term, but no thought to long term.

One more really quick thing: did anyone really think this team, going into the year, was a playoff team? Due respect but I sure didn’t. So what do we get in next years draft with the lottery pick? We’re stuck with dach, but we coulda had a better center this year. Also, I ask again, how does dach help this team? Turcotte is fast, has killer vision, can shoot and pass, and never stops skating. Pure aggression. Based on your point about drafting on projections, I’d take that every day over dach’s 2C ceiling.

Thanks for the thoughts, really do enjoy other insights.

Yeah although I am not gonna **** on Dach, and he is going to be a spectacular player one day, I really do think Turcotte was the way to go. I may be a little biased as I got to Wisconsin so I get to see him play which was one of my reasons for wanting him, the Hawks are SO ****ING SLOW. Turcotte has some nice wheels, the only real difference between turcotte and dach is the Turcotte has the speed, Dach has the hands. They both play hard in every other respect and are both going to be good players, but in my opinion because he doesn't have the top end speed, Dach kind of caps out at a really great 2C (which if we get another high draft pick we might be able to get a 1C) but with the 3rd overall you aren't really looking for that.
HatterTParty liked this.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: CrazyK04
I'm just a 15 year old kid, but I am a massive Hawks fan and am obsessed with hockey. It might be weird since I am so young, but I love Power Forwards. I love that gritty style of play. Evgeni Malkin is one of my favorite players in the NHL because he hits, he can play defense, and he is wicked offensively. I like Dach. I think he can do more as an all around player. He's never gonna get Crosby type points but I can see him as the next Toews if he can improve his defense. 50-65 points would be great for him.

Love to hear it! You definitely are seeing the hawks through the best time in their franchise’s history.

Now, here’s the interesting thing about power forwards. Power forwards, and maybe this is how I classify/interpret them, but I don’t know if I view Malkin as such a player. As crazy as it sounds, I’m not so sure dach is either. Typically, A power forward usually describes any bigger, stronger player that can both score and be very physical at the same time. Essentially, lots of goals/assists and plenty of hits.

With that in mind, I’d honestly classify malkin and dach as just bigger playmakers. Neither player can nor even chooses to hit very often. In Malkin’s case, though, he is a generational talent. He’s won scoring titles, mvp awards, a conn Smythe, and generally averages over 80 points a season and has 100 points many times. Also, he can skate like a machine for a guy who’s 6’3’’!! On the flip side, there is dach’s case. Dach is supposedly a two way center. I only say supposedly because I don’t quite see the two way player or the center yet. He has a long career to prove it though. However, he isn’t exactly capable of being an 80-100 point player as you mentioned. He’s much more likely to become a toews type player like you also said.

I’ll be honest, though, I don’t and never have liked power forwards. Malkin is a great player, and he’s the very rare combination of size and speed. Dach doesn’t have his kind of qualities. As I said in one of my responses, dach was the panic pick because he was ready now, but not necessarily the right pick. If you wanted a center this bad, which still baffles me with how bad the defense is, turcotte was an easy choice for the future. Turcotte is fast, a two way threat at all times, can pass, shoot, has amazing hands, and is super aggressive. He and his father were dead set on him going to college, which probably cost him a chance at being a hawks player, but in two years time, he is gonna be sick.

Point I’m making, I love speed. I can’t stand big guys who can’t skate, that’s just not the way the game is played anymore. The game is always getting faster and dach doesn’t seem to be able to keep up. Turcotte can, and I honestly can’t wait to see him play in a year or two. Here’s the thing that’s craziest: turcotte may actually be a better all around player than dach in a few years and score even more points. He is built like Crosby and plays with the same offensive flair and defensive responsibility as him. I just really wanna have a center on the hawks who can actually score 80-90 points a season again. I miss those days. Dach doesn’t seem like that guy.

Thank you for your thoughts buddy! Love hearing from dedicated hawks fans on this site. Hope things can get better for this team soon.
Hawks_Are_Dumm liked this.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
Yeah although I am not gonna **** on Dach, and he is going to be a spectacular player one day, I really do think Turcotte was the way to go. I may be a little biased as I got to Wisconsin so I get to see him play which was one of my reasons for wanting him, the Hawks are SO ****ING SLOW. Turcotte has some nice wheels, the only real difference between turcotte and dach is the Turcotte has the speed, Dach has the hands. They both play hard in every other respect and are both going to be good players, but in my opinion because he doesn't have the top end speed, Dach kind of caps out at a really great 2C (which if we get another high draft pick we might be able to get a 1C) but with the 3rd overall you aren't really looking for that.

Well, I will say, just in my opinion, turcotte will always work harder than dach. I’m sure dach will have a good career, but I do agree with you that he’s got the better hands. Turcotte, though, just plays a better all around game with more upside. Dach, as a two way player, may get 60 points a season at some point, maybe. However, turcotte, as a two way player, could get 80-90 a season. He’s just so tenacious. He never stops, and in all honestly, this brings up a thing i dislike about bigger players. Players like turcotte who have always been on the smaller side are always taught to work harder and use their body to the best of their abilities and always be faster. Bigger players, on the other hand, are used to just being a more dominate presence on the ice at younger ages. As they get older, the faster players start to catch up and eventually eclipse them. Point is, I can’t fathom a scenario where dach is better than turcotte. Turcotte just doesn’t let himself stop and is driven by pure determination. Dach still looks too lazy to me in all honesty.

However, you did bring up an interesting thought. You said maybe we could get a 1C in this upcoming draft. Now that is certainly a possibility. However, here’s the problem with that scenario. If you choose a 1C, which other center do you trade? Do you trade toews? Probably not, he’s never waive a no trade and he’s the captain. How about dach? At this point, people could still give a huge return for him maybe? Obviously no, I’d love to see it but he’s our future and we’re stuck with him. How about strome then? We got him back to where he should have been. Honestly, probably could happen. Ya see, strome and dach are very identical physically. Both are big, slow players who don’t like to use their bodies very much. I hate to admit that but that’s the truth. As you said, we are SLOW!! As such, we probably have the slowest center core in the league (at least one of them). Here’s the problem with trading strome though, dach has proved many times this year he doesn’t know how to play with Kane or debrincat yet. So, why would you trade strome? Dach has only thrived with the fourth line, which to me is genuinely concerning. As such, trading strome would probably only happen if the team went into a full rebuild. So, bringing it back to the original point, drafting a 1C in this upcoming draft probably raises more questions about the team than it answers.
Dec. 5, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Well, I will say, just in my opinion, turcotte will always work harder than dach. I’m sure dach will have a good career, but I do agree with you that he’s got the better hands. Turcotte, though, just plays a better all around game with more upside. Dach, as a two way player, may get 60 points a season at some point, maybe. However, turcotte, as a two way player, could get 80-90 a season. He’s just so tenacious. He never stops, and in all honestly, this brings up a thing i dislike about bigger players. Players like turcotte who have always been on the smaller side are always taught to work harder and use their body to the best of their abilities and always be faster. Bigger players, on the other hand, are used to just being a more dominate presence on the ice at younger ages. As they get older, the faster players start to catch up and eventually eclipse them. Point is, I can’t fathom a scenario where dach is better than turcotte. Turcotte just doesn’t let himself stop and is driven by pure determination. Dach still looks too lazy to me in all honesty.

However, you did bring up an interesting thought. You said maybe we could get a 1C in this upcoming draft. Now that is certainly a possibility. However, here’s the problem with that scenario. If you choose a 1C, which other center do you trade? Do you trade toews? Probably not, he’s never waive a no trade and he’s the captain. How about dach? At this point, people could still give a huge return for him maybe? Obviously no, I’d love to see it but he’s our future and we’re stuck with him. How about strome then? We got him back to where he should have been. Honestly, probably could happen. Ya see, strome and dach are very identical physically. Both are big, slow players who don’t like to use their bodies very much. I hate to admit that but that’s the truth. As you said, we are SLOW!! As such, we probably have the slowest center core in the league (at least one of them). Here’s the problem with trading strome though, dach has proved many times this year he doesn’t know how to play with Kane or debrincat yet. So, why would you trade strome? Dach has only thrived with the fourth line, which to me is genuinely concerning. As such, trading strome would probably only happen if the team went into a full rebuild. So, bringing it back to the original point, drafting a 1C in this upcoming draft probably raises more questions about the team than it answers.

So the scenario envisioned brings up something my dad thought of a couple years ago when it looked as if Toews might be slowing down. A similar thing happened with the Flyers, where it looked as if Giroux was starting to slow down a little bit, they still had him take the faceoffs, but they gave him winger duties but still had him take faceoffs. As Toews is the big faceoff guy, that is something I could see them pairing him with Dach if he never gets too great at faceoffs, and then have Toews essentially take over winger duties after the faceoff
Dec. 5, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
So the scenario envisioned brings up something my dad thought of a couple years ago when it looked as if Toews might be slowing down. A similar thing happened with the Flyers, where it looked as if Giroux was starting to slow down a little bit, they still had him take the faceoffs, but they gave him winger duties but still had him take faceoffs. As Toews is the big faceoff guy, that is something I could see them pairing him with Dach if he never gets too great at faceoffs, and then have Toews essentially take over winger duties after the faceoff

Ahhhh, I do remember when it was looking like that for giroux. However, here’s the flaw I see with that idea: if you don’t ever throw dach into the fire (the faceoff fire that is), dach will never improve. Now, as long as I played hockey and been a fan, those who are bad at faceoffs when they’re drafted only (tops) get marginally better. Otherwise, if you’re bad, you usually stay pretty bad. So that is one flaw I see in this solution. Another flaw I see, unfortunately, is toews is far older than giroux was at that time. Let’s say this does happen, and toews plays faceoffs and then goes to wing immediately. Toews is old enough that is only a reasonable idea for another few years tops. Maybe even a year or two at his rate of regression. The downside is kind of two fold. One is that Dach never gets time to learn faceoffs while he is young and developing. The other is that Dach continues to look like he should just be a winger, and I know for a fact Stan didn’t plan to waste a third pick on a center who can only play wing, CUZ THAT WILL get him fired.

Ya see, all of these points are the reason I still believe dach isn’t nhl ready. He really should be in juniors. He isn’t helping the team in his current role and all you’re doing is wasting a year off his ELC and making the salary cap a bigger problem. This is why I said it was a mistake to take him, Stan and the rest of the organization had absolutely no idea how to develop this kid the proper way. Yes, it’s still early, but nothing in the way he plays has blown me away. He broke Eichel’s ankles? No, not really, if anything eichel deflected a puck for him and then was flat out lazy letting dach skate by him. But no, I’m still not impressed by dach, mainly cuz he doesn’t come off (at nhl level) as a player who influences and controls games. Essentially, he needs other teammates to do that for him and open the game up for him. Turcotte isn’t like that, neither is byram. Hughes may be having a tough beginning to his career, but his style of play is such that you always know he’s there. If I didn’t know any better and saw him on the roster. I would have never guessed dach in any of the last 3 games. That’s not a good sign for a number 3 pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll