Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 6, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
torontos finest
makes sense short term, but they'd be 1.5 million out for another 2 years, and the islanders will have wasted a salary retention.
Dec. 6, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
makes sense short term, but they'd be 1.5 million out for another 2 years, and the islanders will have wasted a salary retention.

Sure beats having him at 3 million for 2 more years. If he really is bad, he can just be sent to the minors since it would only be about 600K or so of wasted salary. Ceci just sucks though.
Dec. 6, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Let Uncle Leo first figure out how to properly wear a visor, then Dubas will wine and dine Lou in order to persuade him to retain half that salary :P
Dec. 6, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Why it doesn't make sense, is you have promoted Sandin...who likely isn't NHL ready, and benched Engvall who has looked good. Why do you think Ceci has been such a detriment, especially compared to his other Dman mates?
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Dec. 6, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
Why it doesn't make sense, is you have promoted Sandin...who likely isn't NHL ready, and benched Engvall who has looked good. Why do you think Ceci has been such a detriment?

He seemed okay at the start of the season but Ceci is really bad. I can't remember the last time I thought he did anything well. He's not good on the PK, seems to pick the wrong guy to defend all the time and just all around has failed the eye test. His advance stats are horrendous and he's not getting points. The game against Philly was the 12th worst game from an advanced stats point of view since 2007. He's getting worse each game as well. He needs to go.

Sandin was better than him at the start of the season, he passed every test he's had and is 100% ready for the NHL. I'd wager Liljegren is pretty close as well. Being young doesn't mean you can't play, look at how many young defenceman are playing well in the NHL this year.
Dec. 6, 2019 at 5:35 p.m.
LGI
isles don't need ceci
Dec. 6, 2019 at 6:33 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Why it doesn't make sense, is you have promoted Sandin...who likely isn't NHL ready, and benched Engvall who has looked good. Why do you think Ceci has been such a detriment, especially compared to his other Dman mates?

not to say he's to blame or that he has been awful all year, but these last 2 games have been real stinkers for him- not to say that is fully representative given that its a 2 game sample size but he's not looking to hot right now, but has been overused, but serviceable this year
Dec. 6, 2019 at 8:35 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
He seemed okay at the start of the season but Ceci is really bad. I can't remember the last time I thought he did anything well. He's not good on the PK, seems to pick the wrong guy to defend all the time and just all around has failed the eye test. His advance stats are horrendous and he's not getting points. The game against Philly was the 12th worst game from an advanced stats point of view since 2007. He's getting worse each game as well. He needs to go.

Sandin was better than him at the start of the season, he passed every test he's had and is 100% ready for the NHL. I'd wager Liljegren is pretty close as well. Being young doesn't mean you can't play, look at how many young defenceman are playing well in the NHL this year.

The late game save against Colorado. Cecil isn't anything special but he's serviceable for the year than we get the cap space. Which leads me to my next question would you rather have 2 more years of Komarov @1.5 per or 4.5 this off-season to work with?
palhal liked this.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:34 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: niko
isles don't need ceci

But they could definitely benefit from shaving 1.5 million off their cap for the next 2 years.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:39 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
The late game save against Colorado. Cecil isn't anything special but he's serviceable for the year than we get the cap space. Which leads me to my next question would you rather have 2 more years of Komarov @1.5 per or 4.5 this off-season to work with?

I actually think Komarov would be not bad at 1.5, hits a tonne, kills penalties and has some leadership that helps the young guys. Ceci is not worth a roster spot, him in the lineup is a mistake. Sandin is definitely a better option than Ceci. Marincin might even be better.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 1:16 a.m.
LGI
But they could definitely benefit from shaving 1.5 million off their cap for the next 2 years.

Fair point.. But it also gives Isles less room to potentially make more moves at the deadline for a playoff push
Dec. 7, 2019 at 9:21 a.m.
I actually think Komarov would be not bad at 1.5, hits a tonne, kills penalties and has some leadership that helps the young guys. Ceci is not worth a roster spot, him in the lineup is a mistake. Sandin is definitely a better option than Ceci. Marincin might even be better.

Komo ain't terrible but I'd rather have a couple of young kids up who can provide what he does except leadership. I guess I'd be more inclined to make the trade if we there was more incentive....like if Mayfield was part of the trade maybe (not saying they should just throw him in but if they would be open to trading him too then maybe I'd consider it more.

Even if Sandin is in fact ready which he didn't show when he was up why bring him up when this isn't our year and there's a good chance we miss the playoffs only to burn a year off his elc? I get Ceci isn't the best but he's serviceable for the year and if we're out of it around the deadline we could retain 50% and flip him at the TDL.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 9:32 a.m.
Banned
Komo ain't terrible but I'd rather have a couple of young kids up who can provide what he does except leadership. I guess I'd be more inclined to make the trade if we there was more incentive....like if Mayfield was part of the trade maybe (not saying they should just throw him in but if they would be open to trading him too then maybe I'd consider it more.

Even if Sandin is in fact ready which he didn't show when he was up why bring him up when this isn't our year and there's a good chance we miss the playoffs only to burn a year off his elc? I get Ceci isn't the best but he's serviceable for the year and if we're out of it around the deadline we could retain 50% and flip him at the TDL.

Nope Ceci is not serviceable, hes really bad
Dec. 7, 2019 at 11:20 a.m.
Nope Ceci is not serviceable, hes really bad

So you would rather bring up Sandin and burn a year off his elc in a lost year? Also, he's been fine overall and would look better if we had someone to pair with MO so we could deploy him properly.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
So you would rather bring up Sandin and burn a year off his elc in a lost year? Also, he's been fine overall and would look better if we had someone to pair with MO so we could deploy him properly.

I don't think it's a lost year yet. The Leafs are much improved under Keefe and are really what 2 points out of third in the Atlantic? String a good 10 games together and we're in the playoffs. Ceci just isn't good enough to play. Keeping him over Sandin who absolutely looked ready, is throwing the towel in.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
I don't think it's a lost year yet. The Leafs are much improved under Keefe and are really what 2 points out of third in the Atlantic? String a good 10 games together and we're in the playoffs. Ceci just isn't good enough to play. Keeping him over Sandin who absolutely looked ready, is throwing the towel in.

That's the point tho...we have to scratch and claw our way to a wildcard at best! And even if we make it do you really think we're built to go far? Throw in the towel and trade away assets like Barrie for a nice haul, keep our pick this year in a deeper draft and pivot in the offseason for next year would be the smarter route IMO. This isn't to say I want to tank but it's the position we're in realistically.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
Banned
That's the point tho...we have to scratch and claw our way to a wildcard at best! And even if we make it do you really think we're built to go far? Throw in the towel and trade away assets like Barrie for a nice haul, keep our pick this year in a deeper draft and pivot in the offseason for next year would be the smarter route IMO. This isn't to say I want to tank but it's the position we're in realistically.

I think the way they can play with Keefe is definitely going to be a team that goes deep. They are big, they are heavy and if they fix the defensive breakdowns they are going to be good.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
I think the way they can play with Keefe is definitely going to be a team that goes deep. They are big, they are heavy and if they fix the defensive breakdowns they are going to be good.

You could very well be right. I guess we'll have to see where we are closer to the TDL and assess our chances then. IMO, the problem is we started the year with Babcock behind our bench instead of giving Keefe the gig earlier so he would have had more time to implement his system, and we wouldn't be in the mess we're currently in. I'm just not sure we have enough time left to make the playoffs while the team gets used to his system/style of play, as it's produced mixed results so far (which facing adversity can be a good thing IMO), but we need to play top-notch from here on out.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:44 p.m.
Banned
You could very well be right. I guess we'll have to see where we are closer to the TDL and assess our chances then. IMO, the problem is we started the year with Babcock behind our bench instead of giving Keefe the gig earlier so he would have had more time to implement his system, and we wouldn't be in the mess we're currently in. I'm just not sure we have enough time left to make the playoffs while the team gets used to his system/style of play, as it's produced mixed results so far (which facing adversity can be a good thing IMO), but we need to play top-notch from here on out.

2 points out and the teams ahead aren't good. Montreal is bad, price looks like he's falling off. Buffalo has no depth and Florida is hit and miss. TO should absolutely be better than those teams. Give it a month and I bet things will be very different.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
2 points out and the teams ahead aren't good. Montreal is bad, price looks like he's falling off. Buffalo has no depth and Florida is hit and miss. TO should absolutely be better than those teams. Give it a month and I bet things will be very different.

I get it, I'm not trying to sound all doom and gloom but any team can go on a heater or stinker at any time and push out other teams. Yeah, we're definitely a better team than Montreal and your right Florida has been inconsistent but we've had our fair share of ebbs and flows as well. I'm glad your more optimistic, I'm more pessimistic about our chances but it's made for a good conversation. Thanks!
Dec. 7, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Banned
I get it, I'm not trying to sound all doom and gloom but any team can go on a heater or stinker at any time and push out other teams. Yeah, we're definitely a better team than Montreal and your right Florida has been inconsistent but we've had our fair share of ebbs and flows as well. I'm glad your more optimistic, I'm more pessimistic about our chances but it's made for a good conversation. Thanks!

Anytime and as far as the doom and gloom a lot of it has to do with the media. They overhyped things and are now correcting by going way overboard by suggesting this team just isn't that good. Why? Because it sells, if they can't overhype to send Leafs national and troll nation into frenzies, they'll bash them to get the same result. There is never middle ground.

The reality is, the Atlantic as a whole has been very bad. Which is a surprise but thankfully for the Leafs it gives them time to right the ship and fully implement the new system. Berkshire on Sportsnet posted a story about how the offense and defence has been under Keefe and they both have been vastly improved so far but they did run into back to back hot goalies. That can happen to anyone. There is a lot of time and luckily everyone else in the Atlantic is also struggling to gain traction. I think this road trip is going to be good for TO. I think there is potential for 4 games against teams that think they are battling a wounded animal and that could end well for TO.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2

Correct my math if I'm off, but wouldn't Islanders now be on the hook for 4.5M of Ceci's AAV + 1.5M of Komarov's AAV, totaling 6M? That's twice what they currently pay to Leo. If the argument is just cap, Isles are better off moving Leo to AHL.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 1:43 p.m.
Anytime and as far as the doom and gloom a lot of it has to do with the media. They overhyped things and are now correcting by going way overboard by suggesting this team just isn't that good. Why? Because it sells, if they can't overhype to send Leafs national and troll nation into frenzies, they'll bash them to get the same result. There is never middle ground.

The reality is, the Atlantic as a whole has been very bad. Which is a surprise but thankfully for the Leafs it gives them time to right the ship and fully implement the new system. Berkshire on Sportsnet posted a story about how the offense and defence has been under Keefe and they both have been vastly improved so far but they did run into back to back hot goalies. That can happen to anyone. There is a lot of time and luckily everyone else in the Atlantic is also struggling to gain traction. I think this road trip is going to be good for TO. I think there is potential for 4 games against teams that think they are battling a wounded animal and that could end well for too.

I always take what the media says with a grain of salt. I make my own judgment/assessments. I was referring to keeping Bab's instead of giving the job to Keefe at the end of last year's playoffs. I wasn't expecting anything to change until next year because I thought they would wait to fire Mike until after the season (I'm ecstatic they didn't wait that long). I get what you're saying and sincerely hope your right, all I'm saying is the same thing can happen to any team at any time. But agree it's been night and day under Keefe compared to Babcock.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: We_Want_The_Cup
Correct my math if I'm off, but wouldn't Islanders now be on the hook for 4.5M of Ceci's AAV + 1.5M of Komarov's AAV, totaling 6M? That's twice what they currently pay to Leo. If the argument is just cap, Isles are better off moving Leo to AHL.

It would probably be done closer to the halfway mark which would mean it would be reduced for the Islanders cap hit. Let's say it's at the half way mark they would only incur 2.75 of Ceci's deal and I guess around 2 of Komarov. While the Leafs situation is different it would provide savings for them of about 3 million this season. The Islanders would still be able to obtain a forward or something as well. More if they can find a taker for Laad but that is doubtful.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll