SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

best/worst trades of the decade...

Dec. 7, 2019 at 11:53 a.m.
since the 2010's are wrapping up... I think its time to make a decade list of the best/worst trades of this decade... there's so many that we could discuss on here. so im curious to see what everyone thinks...

ill start us off:

one of the best trades:
https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-acquire-kessel-from-maple-leafs/c-773329

While Pens paid a pretty significant price (main assets were a first round pick and Kapanen). There is NO DOUBT in my mind that Pens would not have won back to back cups without Kessel. Pens were coming off the worst season of the Crosby/Malkin Era (8th in Eastern conference, First round playoff loss in 5 games). And it seemed to many that Pittsburgh was no longer cup contenders. Not only that... but Pittsburgh Penguins were FOR SALE during summer of 2015. Acquiring Kessel sent a message that Pens were still in it to win it and Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury core still had more to prove. The rest is obviously history.

on the Toronto side of things: moving Kessel pretty much guaranteed them securing last place in the NHL and showed the full commitment management had to a rebuild. Leafs then had the highest chances at winning the draft lottery and landed Matthews with 1st Overall. On top of that, leafs gained Kapanen who is a good top 6 winger and a first round pick which helped them acquire a starting goalie in Freddy Anderson. The only "knock" for the leafs is that they had to retain 1.2 million on Kessel's contract which is still effecting them to this day.

Adding Kessel sent a m
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
torontos finest
Best trade - Johanson for Jones. Made sense for both teams and I don't think either lost.

Worst trade - Jeff Carter for Voracek and two picks. The Jackets gave up a player who would be key on the Flyers, a pick for a player who would be key on the Flyers, for a guy who didn't want to be there.
mhockey91, OldNYIfan and AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 7, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Best trade - Johanson for Jones. Made sense for both teams and I don't think either lost.

Worst trade - Jeff Carter for Voracek and two picks. The Jackets gave up a player who would be key on the Flyers, a pick for a player who would be key on the Flyers, for a guy who didn't want to be there.

Ouuuu I forgot about the Jeff carter trade...
Couturier and Voracek for carter. Then they ended up turning carter into Johnson and Marko Dano... yikes
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 6:16 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Off the top of my head, Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg and Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask. I'm also not too happy about Marcus Pettersson for Daniel Sprong (but that one may yet pan out -- we'll see next season). Good trades: the aforementioned Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson deal and of course Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.
mhockey91 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 6:35 p.m.
Best/Worst trade of the decade? I'd have to nominate St. Louis and Buffalo. Best - O'Reilly. Worst - Tage Thompson, Vladimír Sobotka, Patrik Berglund, a 2019 first-round pick (Ryan Johnson) and a 2021 second-round pick (TBD).
mhockey91 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 10:42 p.m.
The 3 way original Duchene trade was pretty bad - or pretty good - depends on which team you cheer for
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
From a NJD perspective:

Worst trade: 1st round pick in 2013 (Bo Horvat #9 overall) for Cory Schneider. I also hated the Subban trade, but it's too early to judge completely.

Best Trade: Kyle Palmieri from ANA for a 2nd and 3rd pick. Neither player has made an impact while Palms has been the Devils top goal scorer since the trade.
mhockey91, OldNYIfan and PrisonBull liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:44 p.m.
From a Boston Standpoint:

Best trades: Lucic for martin jones, colin miller and a 1st. Subsequent martin jones for a 1st and sean kuraly trade so lucic for 2 firsts, colin miller and sean kuraly.
Honorable Mentions: Coyle for donato and a 5th; Campbell and Horton for Wideman, a 1st and a 3rd; Seidenberg for bitz, weller, and a 2nd.

Worst trades: Joe Colborne, 1st and conditional 2nd for Tomas Kaberle.
Honorable Mentions: Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik; Seguin peverley and button for smith, eriksson, morrow, fraser; Reilly Smith and Marc Savard (contract only) for Jimmy Hayes, Zac rinaldo for a 3rd.
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:49 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
From a NJD perspective:

Worst trade: 1st round pick in 2013 (Bo Horvat #9 overall) for Cory Schneider. I also hated the Subban trade, but it's too early to judge completely.

Best Trade: Kyle Palmieri from ANA for a 2nd and 3rd pick. Neither player has made an impact while Palms has been the Devils top goal scorer since the trade.

You’re not putting Hall as best trade?
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
From a Boston Standpoint:

Best trades: Lucic for martin jones, colin miller and a 1st. Subsequent martin jones for a 1st and sean kuraly trade so lucic for 2 firsts, colin miller and sean kuraly.
Honorable Mentions: Coyle for donato and a 5th; Campbell and Horton for Wideman, a 1st and a 3rd; Seidenberg for bitz, weller, and a 2nd.

Worst trades: Joe Colborne, 1st and conditional 2nd for Tomas Kaberle.
Honorable Mentions: Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik; Seguin peverley and button for smith, eriksson, morrow, fraser; Reilly Smith and Marc Savard (contract only) for Jimmy Hayes, Zac rinaldo for a 3rd.

I’d say Seguin trade has to take the cake for worst move.
justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
I’d say Seguin trade has to take the cake for worst move.

idk like loui was at least decent, and reilly smith is still relevant in todays hockey. so like yeah its a downgrade but if loui doesnt get 2 bad concussions and they dont mishandle smith thats a decent 2 nhlers for 1 star sorta deal. we sent at the time a bottom 6 nhler, a 1st (turned into rickard rakell) and a conditional 2nd for 3 months of GOD AWFUL tomas kaberle. he was playing under 10 minutes for the bruins during the cup run, he was that bad.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
are we really going to not mention hall for Larsson
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
idk like loui was at least decent, and reilly smith is still relevant in todays hockey. so like yeah its a downgrade but if loui doesnt get 2 bad concussions and they dont mishandle smith thats a decent 2 nhlers for 1 star sorta deal. we sent at the time a bottom 6 nhler, a 1st (turned into rickard rakell) and a conditional 2nd for 3 months of GOD AWFUL tomas kaberle. he was playing under 10 minutes for the bruins during the cup run, he was that bad.

I mean... they lost Eriksson for nothing, (and he sucks now) and they traded Smith for essentially nothing... so they have no pieces left from the original seguin trade. It was just a bad move all around. Had they kept smith it would’ve been some sort of a salvage.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 1:01 p.m.
You’re not putting Hall as best trade?

Haha. I'm very bitter right now about the way this season is transpiring. I also wanna see what Hall brings back when he's traded this season. But, clearly the Hall trade was a W.
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
I mean... they lost Eriksson for nothing, (and he sucks now) and they traded Smith for essentially nothing... so they have no pieces left from the original seguin trade. It was just a bad move all around. Had they kept smith it would’ve been some sort of a salvage.

dont get me wrong i hated the trade. im all for keeping star players... but from a purely player for player aspect of when this was done, it really wasnt as terrible as it sounds. Bruins were just stupid to move smith for hayes. which i included as another bad trade lol.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I just remembered one I (and everyone else) had forgotten about: Roland McKeown and LA's 2016 first, which the Hurricanes turned into Julien Gauthier, for 14 games of Andrej Sekera.
mhockey91 and Earfgang liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
You already know Hall for Larsson is the best trade.
OldNYIfan and AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Zetna
You already know Hall for Larsson is the best trade.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Edmonton won it all this year? Then everyone's opinion sure would change -- despite getting an MVP season out of Hall, and two first-overall picks in the draft afterwards, the Devils would still be $$$$, and Edmonton and Larsson would have a Stanley Cup . . .
Dec. 10, 2019 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Edmonton won it all this year? Then everyone's opinion sure would change -- despite getting an MVP season out of Hall, and two first-overall picks in the draft afterwards, the Devils would still be $$$$, and Edmonton and Larsson would have a Stanley Cup . . .

IF*** Larsson played a significant role in a Stanley Cup win then forsure, it would change the entire trade. but he would have to be the oilers first or second best D, similar to what they expected they were getting when they acquired him. If hes #4 or #5 like he currently is on their depth charts, then it was still a bad trade
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
IF*** Larsson played a significant role in a Stanley Cup win then forsure, it would change the entire trade. but he would have to be the oilers first or second best D, similar to what they expected they were getting when they acquired him. If hes #4 or #5 like he currently is on their depth charts, then it was still a bad trade

Agreed. I was just going for the comic insight . . .
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

If EDM makes the Cup Final this season with their current roster I'll buy you tickets to the 1st game, lol. If they trade for Hall the deal is off!!!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
If EDM makes the Cup Final this season with their current roster I'll buy you tickets to the 1st game, lol. If they trade for Hall the deal is off!!!

Clearly my attempt at comic insights!
OldNYIfan and mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Clearly my attempt at comic insights!

I think the Las Vegas books make the combined chances of either of my two local teams to make the finals 3%, so the only chance I will have to see a game in person is to take you up on your offer!
mhockey91 and Brian2016 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Conacher and 4th for Bishop
mhockey91, AndrewLadd and Earfgang liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 11:42 p.m.
Pain.
The worst trade of the decade has probably been the Anisimov for Panarin and Saad and subsquently getting Saad back.
mhockey91, AndrewLadd and Earfgang liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll